Ship Luggage from Florida to L A cruise terminal

RJB

Any thoughts which company to use?  There are many out there and we would like to get a heads up on which ones are the best to use.  Thanks in advance for any answers that are provided.  This is  for November.

28 minutes ago, RJB said:

Any thoughts which company to use?  There are many out there and we would like to get a heads up on which ones are the best to use.  Thanks in advance for any answers that are provided.  This is  for November.

I’ve seen Luggage Free recommended on here before by a reliable poster. Never used a service myself.  

2 hours ago, RJB said:

As best I know, both Luggage Forward and Luggage Free both subcontract the actual leg work.

Our experience from 8 years ago was that Luggage Forward subcontracted with UPS (which got our luggage to Seattle on Wed for a Sat embarkation), but then used a courier service in Seattle for holding our luggage and actual delivery to the ship. 

An hour before sailing, our luggage had not shown up and the Seattle courier service couldn't/wouldn't give us or Luggage Forward a status.  We sailed without knowing that our luggage had been delivered to the ship.

So:  YMMV depending upon the port as well as which company!

I use Luggage Free..thought I would try Luggage Forward on my next trip but they wanted $800 for two bags LA to Vancouver and Luggage free wanted $400 so luggage free it is..made life simpler I bought air tags threw them in the suitcase and they worked great knew exactly where my luggage was at all times..Try it..

You must be going on Vista November 3.... I will be getting off that morning..

Jancruz1

Edited by Jancruz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Jancruz said:

I use Luggage Free..thought I would try Luggage Forward on my next trip but they wanted $800 for two bags LA to Vancouver and Luggage free wanted $400 so luggage free it is..made life simpler I bought air tags threw them in the suitcase and they worked great knew exactly where my luggage was at all times..Try it..

Jancruz1

Like @Jancruz, we used Luggage Free with excellent results. We shipped our luggage from California to Ravenna, Italy for our cruise in October 2022.  We used Samsung Smart Tags and could see our suitcases sitting at the port agent's office in Ravenna prior to our arrival.  They used DHL for the actual shipping.

Read carefully the description of the types of items you cannot ship.  It includes any liquid, lotion, or electronic items.  Pretty much the only thing you ship is clothes.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2023 at 9:25 PM, Jancruz said:

Jancruz1

yes we are.  You probably will be off before we get there.  In any case have a wonderful SAFE trip   Richard

Just be careful as to what you pack.  AirTags are a definite NO - NO.  As are perfumes or any restricted items for cargo (alcohol, battery powered items) or customs clearance flags (prescrips/ medicines).

Edited by PaulMCO

3 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

Just be careful as to what you pack.  AirTags are a definite NO - NO.  As are perfumes or any restricted items for cargo (alcohol, battery powered items) or customs clearance flags (prescrips/ medicines).

Luggage Free allowed my Samsung Smart Tags.

We've just shipped luggage once. We were boarding in Trieste for 21 days but staying in Venice before for 3 days. Didn't want to pack super light (under-pack?) nor did we want to lug fully packed 21 days of luggage through Venezia. So we shipped one large checked bag and took personal-item sized carry ons (well, 2 each not 1 each - but still, very manageable).

5 minutes ago, babysteps said:

We've just shipped luggage once. We were boarding in Trieste for 21 days but staying in Venice before for 3 days. Didn't want to pack super light (under-pack?) nor did we want to lug fully packed 21 days of luggage through Venezia. So we shipped one large checked bag and took personal-item sized carry ons (well, 2 each not 1 each - but still, very manageable).

Thank you.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SATaxman said:

Can someone explain the advantage of shipping luggage? Thanks

From what I have read, there are lots of restrictions on what can be in the suitcases.

That leaves a lot for carry-on which also may be too much liquid, etc.

Some people just don't want to or can't handle the luggage along with traveling. Air travel is difficult anymore, even for the young and healthy. Add on top of that mobility issues or just being older and weaker than we once were. I just went on Medicare and I'm nowhere near as strong and energetic as I was 10 years ago. And I still consider myself fairly young and capable. I don't ship my luggage but certainly understand why some people do. 

• Like 1

We tried the service for the last two cruises because we had pre-cruise tours. It was pricy but the ability to send the big luggage direct to the ship while we only had to deal with the carry on for the tours was worth it for our sore backs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/4/2023 at 9:12 PM, RJB said:

We used luggage forward UK  to Malta.

we had connecting flights and the connection was tight. Reviews on the airline and baggage not good .

Expensive but worth it. We had 2 large cases.

on the return journey we took the bags on the plane. They arrived back in England 9 days after we did 🥴

• Thanks 1

On 9/7/2023 at 1:55 PM, SATaxman said:

Can someone explain the advantage of shipping luggage? Thanks

From what I have read, there are lots of restrictions on what can be in the suitcases.

That leaves a lot for carry-on which also may be too much liquid, etc.

I used luggage forward in November 2022 to ship my large suitcase from Austin to Los Angeles. During that period we were still hearing reports of lost luggage, luggage not getting delivered. As I recall, it was a very reasonable fee, and I was very careful not to pack anything except clothes, and my iPhone AirTags. I was very satisfied with the service.

• Thanks 1