Sirena or Riviera for a First Oceania Cruise?

lackcreativity

We are experience, satisfied Viking cruisers here who are looking for some fresh itineraries. Oceania sounds like a good fit, and I have found a western Mediterranean cruise on Riviera and a northern European cruise on Sirena that both are tempting. Any advice about choosing based on the ship?

Our very first cruise ever was 10 nights on Riviera (12/2021) in an A4. We had such a great time we booked Sirena for 11/2022 in a B2. Loved them both.

BUT for us, the bigger O-class ships--Marina & Riviera--offer more. Four specialty restaurants. Riviera has the larger therapy pool on the Spa Deck. The swimming pool is much larger. About all you can on the small one on the Rs is walk in the pool.

And the BATHROOMS in the cabins are larger. Riviera undated more recently than Sirena.

Yet, we're doing 20 nights in the Med on Riviera starting late Oct 2023 and then another 20 nights on Sirena in the Baltic starting in late Aug 2024. Booked them both on some great sales. We cruise for excursions, ports, destinations. The ships are secondary. We'll cruise on both. If and when the price and destinations are right!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, lackcreativity said:

We are experience, satisfied Viking cruisers here who are looking for some fresh itineraries. Oceania sounds like a good fit, and I have found a western Mediterranean cruise on Riviera and a northern European cruise on Sirena that both are tempting. Any advice about choosing based on the ship?

That's really a "would I prefer chocolate or pistachio ice cream?" question.

Personal opinion:  If you're for destinations, go R class.  If you're for shipboard, then O class.

...unless you're claustrophobic in the R class showers 😉

1 minute ago, Snaefell3 said:

Personal opinion:  If you're for destinations, go R class.  If you're for shipboard, then O class.

...unless you're claustrophobic in the R class showers 😉

So, assuming that Sirena is R class? I guess I won't know about the shower claustrophobia unless I try it!

12 minutes ago, lackcreativity said:

So, assuming that Sirena is R class? I guess I won't know about the shower claustrophobia unless I try it!

Sirena,  along with Regatta, Insignia and Nautica, are R-class.  Marina and Riviera are O-class.  Vista and Allura are A-class.

• Thanks 1

Sirena feels more intimate, and for those with mobility challenges, the smaller ship is much easier to navigate.  They are both lovely.  I agree that the itinerary should be the key factor in your decision

24 minutes ago, lackcreativity said:

Yep.  I suspect the many complaints are from folks who sing in the shower and swing their arms opera-style.  ::braces for incoming snark::

The R-class ships are 8 ships built for the now-defunct Renaissance Cruises.  4 (including Sirena) are sailing for O, 3 for Azamara, and 1 for Hapag Lloyd.

• Like 1

I would go for the itinerary first

The small ships  have small bathrooms  more like in a motorhome or boat  if you want more space  go for PH +

The O class ships  have a big bathroom & you can get away with  the lower cabin category

just depends  on what you are used to

We have no problem with the R ships in  an A B or C cabin but others  find then small

If you go to the review page  on CC you can find photos of the  ship & cabins

We like both size ships

YMMV

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Snaefell3 said:

Yep.  I suspect the many complaints are from folks who sing in the shower and swing their arms opera-style.  ::braces for incoming snark::

The R-class ships are 8 ships built for the now-defunct Renaissance Cruises.  4 (including Sirena) are sailing for O, 3 for Azamara, and 1 for Hapag Lloyd.

Azamara  has  4 of the R ships

R3/R6/R7/R/8

Onward/Journey/Quest/Pursuit

18 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Azamara  has  4 of the R ships

R3/R6/R7/R/8

Onward/Journey/Quest/Pursuit

Hmmm.  You're right.  I'd have lost my beer money on that.  🙄

Interesting Sirena fact: Between sailing for Renaissance (as R Four) and Oceania she sailed for Princess first as Tahitian Princess and then as Ocean Princess.

• Like 1

I loved both classes but must admit that the tiny showers on R class ships took some getting used to.  I am a huge guy (6'8"/255 pounds).  I did fit, but barely.  Elevators are very small too.

But I wouldn't hesitate to sail on R class ships again if I liked the itinerary.

Not sure I would agree on the accessibility of R class ships, whilst they are smaller and easier to navigate the doors to open decks for those in a wheelchair or a walker would be difficult. O class access to open decks is much easier. 

Both classes are small enough to be relatively easy. 

I speak from experience of pushing my mum around on Marina for a week and also spending time with able bodied Marital Unit on Sirena. 

As for OP’s question about which ship - if you want to have the optimum experience, I would say start with Riviera, then you will start with the full experience, and you can decide if you want to go full on niche O experience on an R class. You will also benefit from talking to other guests onboard who will give you face to face benefit of their experience on the R class. 

My 02c: I like O class - I look forward to Marina being given the Riviera upgrade - she will be spectacular. My first O experience was on Marina so she will always hold a special place in my heart, but I loved Riviera at Christmas. 

My heart however belongs to Sirena - I loved the very small ship experience, but I can understand it’s not for everyone. Sirena in a PH on a transatlantic was one of the favourite times in my life. 

Start big, if you fall in love, go smaller. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Snaefell3 said:

Hmmm.  You're right.  I'd have lost my beer money on that.  🙄

Interesting Sirena fact: Between sailing for Renaissance (as R Four) and Oceania she sailed for Princess first as Tahitian Princess and then as Ocean Princess

Another Sirena fact: it is the only R ship that the poolside hot tub jets have never had a button by them to turn them on. The jacuzzi jets have never actually worked, or so I was told by engineering when I asked about turning them on.

4 hours ago, lackcreativity said:

Having also cruised on Viking and had the excellent food at every meal, we chose the Riviera for our first O cruise (which is happening in a couple of months). Although the choice was based on the itinerary (Lisbon to Istanbul), we liked the four specialty restaurants, larger bathrooms that many talk about here, and the fact that the ship was upgraded more recently.

4 hours ago, Sny said:

Sirena feels more intimate, and for those with mobility challenges, the smaller ship is much easier to navigate.  They are both lovely.  I agree that the itinerary should be the key factor in your decision

Unless of course you want to go to the bathroom from Horizon or the theater lounge where you are forced to either go outside to the back of the ship or down a floor.  With the theater there is only a one stall bathroom.   If you want to do your own laundry there is only laundry room on floor 7 vs the O ships where there are many floors with laundry.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

Having also cruised on Viking and had the excellent food at every meal, we chose the Riviera for our first O cruise (which is happening in a couple of months). Although the choice was based on the itinerary (Lisbon to Istanbul), we liked the four specialty restaurants, larger bathrooms that many talk about here, and the fact that the ship was upgraded more recently.

If both ships were sailing the same itinerary, I think I would choose the Riviera. After Viking's spacious bathrooms, I am a bit concerned about the reportedly small bathrooms on Sirena. I don't think that would be a deal breaker, since that is the place I plan to spend the least amount of time!

What I am hearing from the responses here is that both ships are very nice, though Riviera has some advantages. I think that leads me back to itinerary as the deciding factor. After all, it is a search for new ports that has prompted me to consider expanding from Viking in the first place.

• Like 1

I will also chime in having taken several Viking cruises, and one Seabourn cruise this year that is more equal to the R class only in size. 
If I were to book R class on Oceania I would absolutely upgrade after Viking based on bathroom (mostly) and cabin size. (Same with Azamara). Can’t beat the showers on Viking. We booked Marina with knowledge she should be completely refurbished as Riviera was recently when we sail. Hesitation is the size  of ship (larger than V) but itinerary driven mostly, and quite honestly, cost as well as prepayment policies vs V. 
R class vs Viking - I can only relate to our small ship experience with Seabourn this year. It was awesome being on the small ship. I would not hesitate to sail on another with SB or Oceania given the right itinerary, price point. With SB their standard verandah exceeds the PV on Viking.  With Oceania I am certain we would want to upgrade. 

3 minutes ago, lackcreativity said:

What I am hearing from the responses here is that both ships are very nice, though Riviera has some advantages. I think that leads me back to itinerary as the deciding factor. After all, it is a search for new ports that has prompted me to consider expanding from Viking in the first place.

Exactly why we ended up with SB and Oceania, looking for alternatives to the same itineraries. But Viking was certainly a good chapter…..

12 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

So PV on Viking is  338 sq ft

Ph on R ship is 332 Sq ft

go for the itinerary   🤔

Absolutely go for the itinerary. Completely agree. That was my point. The other piece was the bathroom space. On Viking it is much larger than standard balcony cabins on R ships. If that doesn’t matter, no worries. But if you have experienced a Viking bathroom, as Lackcreativity has, then it makes sense. 

Edited by Vineyard View

2 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

Absolutely go for the itinerary. Completely agree. That was my point. The other piece was the bathroom space. On Viking it is much larger than standard balcony cabins on R ships. If that doesn’t matter, no worries. But if you have experienced a Viking bathroom, as Lackcreativity has, then it makes sense. 

the PH bathroom on the R ship are lager than standard  veranda  cabin

maybe not as large as on viking I have no idea 

cabins sizes seems pretty close  as noted above

If the PV on Viking is not large enough & you wanted to try an R ship go for  the OS on them

I've sailed once on a smaller R class (Nautica) and once on the larger O class (Marina). I wouldnt discount an R class for future cruises and would make sure that, as on Nautica, we booked a penthouse for the extra space (we'd read about the shower space in the smaller cabins). . That said, all things being equal, I would prefer the larger ship. More going on by way of speciality restaurants and just a more spacious feel to the public areas.