Grand Suite or Crown Loft Suite on Allure of the Seas

bgregan

My wife and I are booked in a Grand Suite on Allure in Oct for 5 nights for our 25th Anniversary.  Grand Suite Cabin #8260 on Allure of the Seas.  We've been talking about upgrading to the Crown Loft Suite and we were just seeing opinions from everyone if it would be worth it.  It's about $800 for us to upgrade (min bid for Royal up is $750 each so $1500 total).  Thank you so much for any advice or opinions.   

For $800, and taking into account that you're celebrating a milestone anniversary, I'd do it. DH and I just celebrated our 25th on Harmony and stayed in a CLS for the first time. We absolutely loved it. The extra bathroom was great and we loved being so close to CK and the lounge. We ended up using the lounge much more than we did when we sailed in a suite that wasn't on deck 17. If you weren't celebrating anything special, I'd keep the GS.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, bgregan said:

Not to purchase outright. Only through RoyalUp at $740 min bid. 

Too bad. RoyalUp is a long shot. Like playing the lottery. I’d say for $800 I’d do the upgrade. I was so disappointed in the balcony and the bathroom of the GS. If the JR suite came with all the suite perks I would’ve been happier with it than the GS.

• Like 1

Worth also bearing in mind that not all CLS are equal. The side (ocean view) suites are great. There are also suites located at the back of the crown. These overlook the sports deck and boardwalk “canyon.” Reciprocally, they are also less private. If you can select a side (ocean) view CLS for less money than running the risk of a more expensive aft view with a “Royal up” bid, then I would do the former, and know what you are getting. 

The CLS on deck 17 has more of an exclusive feel and is located adjacent to the suite lounge and Coastal Kitchen. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, Jetdriver787 said:

Worth also bearing in mind that not all CLS are equal. The side (ocean view) suites are great. There are also suites located at the back of the crown. These overlook the sports deck and boardwalk “canyon.” Reciprocally, they are also less private. If you can select a side (ocean) view CLS for less money than running the risk of a more expensive aft view with a “Royal up” bid, then I would do the former, and know what you are getting. 

The CLS on deck 17 has more of an exclusive feel and is located adjacent to the suite lounge and Coastal Kitchen. 

This is a great point. If there are no side CL suites available I’d keep the GS and bid on an OS. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

This is a great point. If there are no side CL suites available I’d keep the GS and bid on an OS. 

1702 and 1756 are still available and they are both side suites. From my research it seems they may have a little smaller balconies but that doesn't bother us. 

24 minutes ago, bgregan said:

1702 and 1756 are still available and they are both side suites. From my research it seems they may have a little smaller balconies but that doesn't bother us. 

Then I’d go for it! I wouldn’t count on RoyalUp. I don’t think any of the CL suites balconies are very big but they are at least deep enough for the loungers to face the water. In the GS the balconies are just about double the length of a regular balcony but the same width so loungers have to be placed sideways and it feels very cramped.

I know I am in the minority but I don't want to be on deck 17- other than CK/SL which I don't use much everything I do is down on decks 4-8.  Deck 6 is my go to deck.  When I was lucky enough to have a GS and an OS they were all on deck 6 but that's just me  I like that I can walk 2 decks up and 2 decks down to all venues that I visit

Edited by molly361
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, molly361 said:

I like that I can walk 2 decks up and 2 decks down to all venues that I visit

That's our main deciding location factor when not being treated to a GS up top, but we have to split the difference between those lower decks and the Solarium, WJ, etc. so it's more like trying to keep the walk to 5 decks so. We wound up on decks 9-10 mostly on Wonder. At least it's forced exercise (which doesn't put a dent into my eating but it can't hurt).

• Haha 1

I guess it depends on what’s important to you. I like Molly above don’t care about being on deck 17. I actually like deck 8 the best. Balconies and bathrooms are important to me so that’s why I was disappointed in the GS. The interior of the cabin was lovely. I just really was very disappointed in the balcony and the bathroom. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, molly361 said:

I know I am in the minority but I don't want to be on deck 17- other than CK/SL which I don't use much everything I do is down on decks 4-8.  Deck 6 is my go to deck.  When I was lucky enough to have a GS and an OS they were all on deck 6 but that's just me  I like that I can walk 2 decks up and 2 decks down to all venues that I visit

We also like deck 6 the best on Oasis class ships.  Tried deck 8 in May and wouldn't book it again unless we couldn't get deck 6.

• Like 2

We have travelled on “Oasis” class ships 3 times (Oasis and Allure.) all 3 voyages were in ocean view Crown loft suites. We have travelled in Grand suites on other classes of ship and they are perfectly nice suites. In fact our next 4 cruises are all in Grand suites on Enchantment and Anthem. To use an old Royal buzzword, there have been a few suites were we have opened the door and said “Wow!” The Crown lofts definitely fall into that category. These suites are unique to “Oasis” class ships and if you can make it fit into your budget (generally or as a special occasion one off,) then I would do it! If you can properly upgrade for $160 a night, then I think it will be the icing on the cake for you! 

• Thanks 1

Since we're talking about balconies, we absolutely loved the balcony of our side-facing CLS. If you go by floor square footage alone they may not seem very impressive, but the height makes them feel much, much bigger. We spent more time on our balcony on this cruise than we have on any other cruise -- including the time we had an ATS!

CLS Balcony.jpg

• Like 5

First I'll share that we love the two story suites so we are a bit biased.  At $800 to jump to the CLS it would be a "very likely" in our minds.  The big win is being on deck 17.  The proximity to CK and the lounge is a huge bonus.  I like being able to head down there and grab a snack, especially in the morning for coffee.  If that really is not a factor for you then rate that accordingly.  

If you have not done a loft suite before then you might want to try it, they are pretty unique.  The only thing is if you are paying and not doing Royal Up, factor in if it is a side or rear facing Suite.  We would prefer a side facing but did get a CLS that was rear facing on a Royal Up once.  No complaints since it was a "win" and it wasn't really bad but some folks that might be a deal breaker.  

Good Luck and have fun either way.

4 hours ago, molly361 said:

I agree…if you like spending time in other parts of the ship, then deck 17 feels isolated and can be a pain to get to if you need to run back to your room for anything. Plus, for me the stairs in the CLS get really old by about day 3 so I always prefer the OS. 

• Like 4