On board Zaandam!

CruiserBruce

12 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Here's hoping for clear skies this evening so you might be able to see the Northern Lights.!

image.thumb.png.ab252617da8456076f6d46478a1042c9.png

Aurora Dashboard (Experimental) | NOAA / NWS Space Weather Prediction Center

Here's another link that gives a 30-minute forecast window once nightfall starts to settle in. We used it as an aid last August when we saw Lights around 11 pm while cruising between Iceland and Greenland. 

Aurora - 30 Minute Forecast | NOAA / NWS Space Weather Prediction Center

I just discovered the “30-minute” Start button on either screen when you click on the Aurora 30-minute Forecast link. It’s pretty cool and if you click on it shortly after I post this you’ll see the folks on the Zaandam should be seeing the Lights right now!

https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/products/aurora-30-minute-forecast

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 4

The internet has been fine to this point, but it painfully slow right now.

Docking in Charlottetown, PEI. Another dreary day...cooler. Supposed to be that way pretty much all day. Off for a 4 hour excursion at 9:30.

Pinnacle last night was excellent. Fast service, great food. Pretty crowded, every table we could see had at least one person having one of the added charge lobster in one form or another ( I had the added 5oz tail). One table near us, both people had the 12 oz full Maine lobster. A very nice, very filling dinner. This was our 5 Star Mariner complementary dinner, have to check the account next to see if it was credited correctly.  The staff seemed to be on top of the issue in the restaurant. We also have our HIA Pinnacle dinner in a few days. We scheduled it for the last night so we could duck out on giving extra to our MDR staff. Just kidding!

More later. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 6

Last night was Orange Night, and I think it was the first time we had ever gone (at least it was the first time I was prepared i.e, by wearing some orange clothing).  After dinner we couldn't decide between the Musicology Dance at the World Stage, or the Orange Party.  We stopped at the empty Ocean Bar just before 9pm, ordered a Smoked Cherry Old Fashion which took a few minutes to be made.  We decided to check out the dance show, and fortunately for us it had already started so we lingered in the back at the Deck 5 level.  While I really like dance performances, I just couldn't get into to this particular show, so we decided to go to the Crow's Nest and check out the Orange Party that had started around 9:15 pm.  The space is kind of shaped like a boomerang, so the folks (us) seated at the ends don't necessarily feel part of the goings on.  We were seated close to the kitchen door and every waiter who came out dropped some sweet/savory morsel at our table, until we found it easier to flee, rather than keep declining the offerings.  We returned to the quiet Ocean Bar and had one more drink before heading to bed.  We will be on the Westerdam very soon, so we will give the Orange Party another try, but I do have to say that the Full Moon Party on Celebrity was much more fun.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just got back from our excursion,  replete with the usual "can't make it TO the bus on time to start" (one couple), and "can't make it BACK to the bus on time" (3 different people) offenders.

Two new experiences to add...first the lady who arrived at the check in spot 40 minutes early, complaining she had been waiting A LONG TIME, and wanted to know why they didn't just load the bus up and depart...40 minutes EARLY! The nerve of HAL!

And then there was the lady boarding an adjacent bus, wearing the standard lanyard with room key pocket. Also attached to said lanyard was her Mariner medallion. Now we have about 200 days, so I think ours is bronze. But her's was shiny silver color. Not sure what message she was sending....😉

Very fun tour, came with full lobster lunch, which was great. Even DW, who prefers not to have to work for her food, dove in with gusto, resulting in gratitude for the provided bibb.

• Like 6
  • Haha 8

28 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Just got back from our excursion,  replete with the usual "can't make it TO the bus on time to start" (one couple), and "can't make it BACK to the bus on time" (3 different people) offenders.

LOL....ALWAYS!  So funny, yet so true.....every time!

(this is one reason (along with the prices) of why we do our best to avoid HAL big bus tours....we've learned you are only as good as the weakest link.......And the bus does not roll until the last lady gets out of the rest room)

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

(this is one reason (along with the prices) of why we do our best to avoid HAL big bus tours....we've learned you are only as good as the weakest link.......And the bus does not roll until the last lady gets out of the rest room)

Totally agree. We are primarily using up our HIA excursion money.

• Like 4

Oh...I forgot the funniest activity. The Charlottetown terminal has got to be about the best designed and well organized cruise terminal I have ever seen. They have departure gates for excursions,  and schedule screens, pretty much like any airport! Really well thought out. 

Anyway, DW and I are standing where checkin for our excursion will be. Another couple joins us...we don't know them. DW had already scouted out a restroom for last minute stop, and heads off. Husband from other couple also heads off. Ship's photographer comes along and asks if she (wife in other couple) and I would would scoot together for a picture. The lady panics and says "I don't know him!" So, now the photographers are match makers...the Zaandam is the Love Boat!

• Like 1
  • Haha 23

8 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

The lady panics and says "I don't know him!" So, now the photographers are match makers

Should have talked her into the picture and then happen upon it on the photo wall when leaving dinner one evening.......LOL.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, FlaMariner said:

or the gift shop...

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

At sea enroute to Saguenay. Cooler today, predicted to only be in the mid 50s F. Partly cloudy. Even the Lido pool area is a bit cool. We gained an hour overnight, so many more people up and around early. Otherwise this has definitely not been an early morning crowd at all. Dressy night tonight,  last one. Also last sea day.

Have to admit last night in the MDR was not a winner...mostly just a preference issue. First, the fresh mussels were excellent! A dozen in a tomato/buttery liquid. Really good. DW had the fuselli alla vodka. Huge serving, but just didn't tickle her taste buds. I had the tri tip. My conclusion,  after years of cooking tri tip many ways, that cooking it for 1200, without a BBQ, is not setting up for success. The overall meal size was fine, but the amount of meat in the serving was a little small. Oh well.

The ship has not credited back my payment for for our 5 star Mariner Pinnacle dinner, so want to clean that up today. 

The Mariner luncheon is today. We usually don't attend, we don't find the menu appealing. We do like attending the cocktail party, just for inspiration to new goals. That is, seeing people getting their medallions for lifetimes at sea. We attended both events one time, and ended up setting with the couple with the most days (1400+) for lunch. They were very interesting!

• Like 9

@CruiserBruce, our cruise is nearly over and our paths haven't crossed yet.  My plan is to try out the martini area of Mix pre-dinner.  If you and your DW pass by, I will be the one in the sparkling silver top, and my DH probably in a blue dress shirt, possibly with a navy sport coat.  We are in the recently retired age range.  Earlier today you might identify me by my salmon colored shirt.

• Like 3

I forgot to mention we sailed under the Confederation Bridge last night about 7:30, with a small amount to spare. From a distance it is sort of pretty,  up close, it looks a little spindly. The locals are very proud of it, 9 miles long...connecting PEI to the main land. Looks to be only one lane each way.

• Like 4

After reading @CruiserBruce review of the main room dining last night, I am glad that we enjoyed dinner in Pinnacle.  I ordered the wine pairing - a brute rose, Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc, and a Cab $19.  Starters were crab cakes, jumbo shrimp cocktail, and we shared the candied Bacon.  It was our first time having the bacon.  OMG - so good!  Our entrees were 12 oz Maine lobster tail $20, seared scallops (only small scallops were available), and we shared a 8oz filet.  We both had the chocolate souffle for dessert.  The portions were very generous, and while we were tired (kinda' like after eating your Thanksgiving meal), we fortunately decided to attend the 9 pm performance of Cantare - an all male singing quartet.  So glad we did as they were quiet good, and the audience loved them.  They were very engaging and personable.  They will be preforming once more before our cruise ends on Sunday morning.

• Like 10

On 9/18/2023 at 5:11 PM, albingirl said:

Football is KING! Hah! We've been onboard for many superbowl events and we always rooted for the wrong team, according to our fellow cruisers. We were in the super minority, to say the least, but we drank beer and had alot of fun and laughed when our team won. 

I've had the pleasure of watching the Superbowl from the Grand World Voyage twice -- 2020 from Antarctica and 2023 from Tasmania. Both times my KC Chiefs won! In 2024 we will be watching from somewhere in the Pacific between Hawaii and Guam. And yes, I'm packing my Chiefs jersey again. 🙂

And thanks for sharing your cruise review, CruiserBruce! I will be joining the Zaandam on Sunday and can't wait!!!

Edited by WriterOnDeck
  • Like 6

The Confederation Bridge is indeed a little spindly. It is however a marvel of engineering, it is the longest span in the world over water the ices. We drove over it when we were there and it feels a little precarious with one lane each way. I'm sure the islanders love it because it eliminated the ferries. Of course it neutralized their moat. 

Edited by Blackduck59
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 9/16/2023 at 2:43 PM, StLouisCruisers said:

We were on the Zaandam until Aug. 23 and near the end of that cruise was when work started on the stern thruster(s).  Today while going through photos for my photo book, which is under construction this week, I saw photos of objects that appeared on the bow decking when we were in St. John's NF.  If they were there before I wasn't aware of it because I looked at the bow camera on my TV every day.  Here is what they look like.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

Looks like rusty metal covers they removed from the stern thrusters because no doubt they want to put new covers on the thrusters after replacement.  If @chengkp75 took a look he could probably give us an accurate assessment of what they are instead of my speculation.

BTW, you didn't miss much in St. Anthony.  Literally zilch.

The items pictured are still in that location as of right now.

• Like 2

They got so many mussels in Charlottetown yesterday that the pasta station in the Lido has been converted to a mussels only station. Tons of mussels.

Got the charge for 5 star Mariners complementary Pinnacle dinner refunded. Showed up in our account within 20 minutes.

• Like 10

4 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

They got so many mussels in Charlottetown yesterday that the pasta station in the Lido has been converted to a mussels only station. Tons of mussels.

Got the charge for 5 star Mariners complementary Pinnacle dinner refunded. Showed up in our account within 20 minutes.

20 minutes, 20 minutes.  I think this time you actually do have cause for legal action.  😂 

I enjoy PEI every visit.   I hope you did too. is this your first visit to the Canadian Maritimes?

• Like 3