How many Formal Nights on a 4 Night Cruise?

lakegirl16

25 minutes ago, lakegirl16 said:

Assume this is 1?  I looked on Princess site and it addresses days not nights, so I was confused.  

Thank you.

There are no formal nights on a 4 night cruise. This information is provided in Onboard FAQ: Dining & Nightlife under Formal Nights.

Princess always counts the number of nights when defining a cruise length - even though they sometimes say days. They would call a four-night cruise four days even though you are on the ship for portions of five days. Just read "nights" whenever they say "days".

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NavyVeteran said:

There are no formal nights on a 4 night cruise. This information is provided in Onboard FAQ: Dining & Nightlife under Formal Nights.

Princess always counts the number of nights when defining a cruise length - even though they sometimes say days. They would call a four-night cruise four days even though you are on the ship for portions of five days. Just read "nights" whenever they say "days".

Thank you.  I did read this but was very confused whether we were four or 5 days.  Thanks for clarifying.  

Does it really matter how many formal nights there are on a cruise?

People will dress the way they want.

Princess will not enforce any dress suggestions.

Mute point!

Dress as you like! That's what people do! 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Oxo said:

Mute point!

It's true.  A guest can have their own formal night whether it is on the schedule or not.

• Like 1

Technically there are no formal nights on a 4 night cruise, but they can throw one in. We took a 4 night coastal on the Discovery in April and it was listed as all smart casual, but once on board, they had added a formal night. I usually like to dress a little nicer for dinner (call me old fashioned!), and DH just wore a button down shirt and pants, so we were fine. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Oxo said:

Mute point!

Hopefully you meant "moot" point rather than a point that can't speak or a point that can't be made. To a lot of people it definitely does matter how many formal nights are on the cruise. Just because it doesn't matter to you doesn't mean the OP's initial query lacks validity.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, sunviking90 said:

DH just wore a button down shirt and pants, so we were fine.

As a US cruiser he would definitely be fine. If a UK cruiser wearing a button-down shirt and "pants" means something else entirely and would not be appropriate wear on any night. He would need to add trousers over the pants.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Thrak said:

As a US cruiser he would definitely be fine. If a UK cruiser wearing a button-down shirt and "pants" means something else entirely and would not be appropriate wear on any night. He would need to add trousers over the pants.

Haha, yes our parents were all British so we are familiar. He definitely brings “slacks” or “trousers”.

Edited by sunviking90

55 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Hopefully you meant "moot" point rather than a point that can't speak or a point that can't be made. To a lot of people it definitely does matter how many formal nights are on the cruise. Just because it doesn't matter to you doesn't mean the OP's initial query lacks validity.

Why do you think it does not matter to me?

I'm just starting facts! This subject has been discussed for over 25 years. On all Cruise Lines. 

Do you wear a Tux or Gown on whatever the ole Formal Night is now called on each line?

Or a suite or evening dress?

I only cruise 9 to 10 times each year on 4 to 5 cruise lines and see what is happening. So, that is my opinion!

Thanks for yours. 

5 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I can't even afford to sail in a suite let alone try to wear one.

lol, ...   wait a minute !  aren't you going on a 38 day sail about ? 

Curious GIFs | Tenor

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Thrak said:

I can't even afford to sail in a suite let alone try to wear one.

14 hours ago, c-boy said:

lol, ...   wait a minute !  aren't you going on a 38 day sail about ? 

14 hours ago, Thrak said:

Nope. 63 days and the first 31 are in an inside cabin.

@Thrakcould obviously afford to sail in a suite for a 14-night cruise. However he would rather be on a ship for 63 days than be in a suite for 14. I couldn't afford a suite for 63 days either. I agree with him. If DW were willing, I'd rather take the less expensive cabin for more days, but she doesn't want to be away from our cat for more than a couple of weeks.