Infinity is definitely going into dry dock!

seaside princess

2 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

Infinity had Starlink when we were on her in March of this year in South America.  It worked well.  We did have lots of trouble connecting to the wifi onboard, but once connected internet access was great with the premium package.

Thanks.  I thought that I had heard that, but I guess I am wrong.

13 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

That's interesting as they had categorized these rooms on Constellation and that never took place.  To me they would have to do a major renovation of these rooms including making a suite worthy bathroom.

I think you are right (again).  I think the initial suite conversion attempt/rumor was with Constellation and not Millennium/Summit that I posted earlier.  

20 minutes ago, seaside princess said:

To respond to the question when did we book and how did a party of three be able to book such a cabin…… so we booked late April on their website and I simply put in three people and it popped up. The additional cabin which has two people were not given that option. Hope this helps.

When the FV/UV cabins are first released, Celebrity requires a minimum of 5 passengers to book it--and since Celebrity's reservation system cannot handle 5 passengers, the booking has to be called in whether you are booking direct or if a TA is doing it for you.  Ironically as large as the FV/UV cabins are, their long and narrow shape make it almost impossible to sleep 5 if a roll away bed is required.

Eventually the 5 passenger minimum requirement is dropped in order to sell any remaining inventory.  The timing on when that requirement is dropped is quite variable and can be a year in advance of the sailing.  My wife and I were able to book one for just the two of us 6 months in advance of our Transatlantic sailing last year.

Again, congratulations on your free upgrade from Celebrity.  

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, do I need to bring my driving license besides USA passport for Mediterranean cruise or I can just make a photo of my licence on my phone? When you leave the ship for the stop and coming back do you need just to present your cruise card or you need also your license?

16 minutes ago, Konfeta said:

Hi, do I need to bring my driving license besides USA passport for Mediterranean cruise or I can just make a photo of my licence on my phone? When you leave the ship for the stop and coming back do you need just to present your cruise card or you need also your license?

The procedure varies by ports and countries, but some ports want to see your sea pass card and a government issued photo ID.  Unless we are required to have our passports with us our passports are locked in our stateroom safe. We use our driver's licenses as our government issued ID.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 9/15/2023 at 2:27 PM, seaside princess said:

Hello All! I rarely post but wanted to share this exciting news. This afternoon I got two phone calls from celebrity explaining that the cabin I booked for the June

29 th Greece cruise was being transformed into a suite as Infinity will be going into an extensive dry dock. The cabin that I have booked is one of those ultra deluxe aft that sleeps 5. The first phone call stated that with no additional cost to our family, we would be able to use The Retreat, Luminae, and the lounge.

The second phone call was basically the same info. My daughter and son are next door in a Sunset verandah and apparently these cabins are not part of the suite category. My husband , another son and myself will be considered suite class. At this time I have no further info. Hope this limited info helps,,

Are you getting all of the suite amenities? Like premium Beverage, in room bar setup, etc. ?

• Like 1

On 9/16/2023 at 12:47 AM, edgee said:

One senior crew member even speculated that Infinity and Constellation will never be fully refurbished and are likely to be sold. I

Old news( at least 2 years old).

• Like 1

On 9/15/2023 at 7:47 PM, edgee said:

Not really. I just left Infinity 6 days ago. We had a great cruise but the ship is very very tired. Needs lots of work. Spoke with officers on the ship who told me they regret that upcoming January drydock of just 18 days will mean that while Infinity will get some refurbishing it will be nowhere close to a full Revolution like the Summit and Millie have had...just necessary maintenance and a few renovations.  So most cabins will keep the same tired worn out look they currently have. One senior crew member even speculated that Infinity and Constellation will never be fully refurbished and are likely to be sold. I certainly hope that the optimism expressed in this thread is true and what I have heard is wrong, but IMO all signs point to an only slightly renovated ship.

We sailed Connie for 21 days over Christmas-New Years and chatted at length with those involved in her "renovations".  She is going into dry dock (think Feb or March this year).  I personally love what is planned:  the dark wood in the suites and Michael's Club/Retreat Lounge will be kept with modernization tastefully worked in.  I don't recall all the details but was happy to learn that Connie would maintain her character.  Thank goodness, designer Kelly has no input into any of the renovations (just MHO)..

• Thanks 1

On 9/15/2023 at 4:47 PM, edgee said:

Not really. I just left Infinity 6 days ago. We had a great cruise but the ship is very very tired. Needs lots of work. Spoke with officers on the ship who told me they regret that upcoming January drydock of just 18 days will mean that while Infinity will get some refurbishing it will be nowhere close to a full Revolution like the Summit and Millie have had...just necessary maintenance and a few renovations.  So most cabins will keep the same tired worn out look they currently have. One senior crew member even speculated that Infinity and Constellation will never be fully refurbished and are likely to be sold. I certainly hope that the optimism expressed in this thread is true and what I have heard is wrong, but IMO all signs point to an only slightly renovated ship.

Since Covid Celebrity has made a financial commitment to the Edge Class ships and is spending just enough on the M and S class ships to keep those of Us who prefer them from going searching for a replacement.

I have tried some lines almost equal to  X and some that cost a Lot more but I find I Still am most pleased with the M and S class ships. Worts and all...........

We were recently on Beyond and even my Wife said she thought the ship was Crowded. 

Edited by D. B.
added content.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, D. B. said:

I Still am most pleased with the M and S class ships.

That’s why we are changing to Princess for our next cruise, I don’t fancy sailing without a proper balcony, so are giving Apex a miss.

We have found a 14 night cruise from Southampton. Also very few 14 night cruises on Celebrity these days.

7 hours ago, upwarduk said:

We have found a 14 night cruise from Southampton. Also very few 14 night cruises on Celebrity these days.

I think they did that so not to pay out an extra $150 in OBC with SHC on cruise 14 night and over 

2 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

I think they did that so not to pay out an extra $150 in OBC with SHC on cruise 14 night and over 

The motivation for X to have fewer 10+ night cruises is market research driven. 

The bean counters researching consumer trends have found that the age group 30-55 are more interested in 3-4-5 night cruises than the Longer one's that retired Cruisers favor.

The longer cruises seem to be assigned to the older generation of X ships favored by more "Mature" cruisers like myself who like the M and S class ships.

The only exception is the assignment of the Edge to Australia and New Zealand cruises. 

That market is hot these days.

As another example of the demand for shorter cruises is the fact that Carnival has Rebranded 3 Costa ships and is moving them from the Med. to Caribbean/Gulf  area cruises.

The upscale (Higer Priced) cruise lines are catering more to the "Mature" cruisers that like longer cruises.

I tried some of them but found the higher the price the less Fun was included.

2 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

14 nights is hard to market in the US especially when you need a day at each end for the flights bringing it up to a 16 day minimum. With the minimum paid vacation  time for full time workers in the UK/Europe of 4 weeks (20 working days) this is not such a problem but 80% of X's passengers are still US/Canadian.

2 hours ago, the penguins said:

14 nights is hard to market in the US especially when you need a day at each end for the flights bringing it up to a 16 day minimum. With the minimum paid vacation  time for full time workers in the UK/Europe of 4 weeks (20 working days) this is not such a problem but 80% of X's passengers are still US/Canadian.

For most Canadians if you have 20 years 4 weeks is no problem 

22 hours ago, D. B. said:

Since Covid Celebrity has made a financial commitment to the Edge Class ships and is spending just enough on the M and S class ships to keep those of Us who prefer them from going searching for a replacement.

I have tried some lines almost equal to  X and some that cost a Lot more but I find I Still am most pleased with the M and S class ships. Worts and all...........

We were recently on Beyond and even my Wife said she thought the ship was Crowded. 

22 hours ago, D. B. said:

Totally agree you, D.B.!!

• 3 weeks later...

That's interesting.  We are in a similiar situation on the Constellation in August.

We have been told that our UV is being reclassified as a Sunset Suite.  However, we have been told we won't get the suite perks just the upgraded cabin.

It will be interesting to see how you get on.

We have already paid to add on Premium drinks and wifi, but it would be nice to know we could eat in Luminae!

33 minutes ago, FINTPOPE said:

That's interesting.  We are in a similiar situation on the Constellation in August.

We have been told that our UV is being reclassified as a Sunset Suite.  However, we have been told we won't get the suite perks just the upgraded cabin.

We have already paid to add on Premium drinks and wifi, but it would be nice to know we could eat in Luminae!

Same for us except in November. Our Celebrity Vacation Planner said we would get Luminae and Retreat but none of the other suite perks ie bar set up, CC club points, butler, etc.

31 minutes ago, FINTPOPE said:

On 9/25/2023 at 11:38 PM, Northern Aurora said:

The procedure varies by ports and countries, but some ports want to see your sea pass card and a government issued photo ID.  Unless we are required to have our passports with us our passports are locked in our stateroom safe. We use our driver's licenses as our government issued ID.

Recently

.Jan 2024..St.  Kitts or Tortola (?) wanted the photo ID to return through security...but if you did not have it..or had limited Eng skills..they waved you thru with just the ship card!

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone been on the Infinity recently and can confirm that the previously referenced dry dock refurbs actually occurred.

What was refurbished?   I still read of many many maintenance issues on this ship. 

Is Starlink active on Infinity and are there still connection issues?