Need some advice

Rrooki18

We are on the Joy and when we got to our cabin we had a nice welcome gift of water, chocolate covered strawberries and a card with coupons for some free dinners and one free laundry. 
we used one of the coupons for dinner the second night and had no difficulty. Tonight we went to use the other one and were denied. Apparently someone with Sapphire status was supposed to be in our room but had switched rooms. We are not at that level but knew nothing about the different levels and figured it was just a nice gesture by NCL.

The manager that was summoned to tell us we could not use it told us that we should consider ourselves lucky that we got to use one of the coupons and actually embarrassed us with his condescending attitude.

My thought is that since they left it for us then we should get to use it as the mistake is theirs not ours. 
We cruise 2 to 3 times a year and this was our third NCL cruise… it might be our last due to the way this manager handled it.

What would you do?

• Like 1

While the manager did not handle it well, it was a mistake and they explained it to you. If a bank puts $100 into your account that isn't yours...it still isn't yours. 

Go to guest services and kindly explain the situation and that you did not appreciate the manager's attitude as you thought it was a gift from NCL. Perhaps you'll get a free dinner or bottle of wine out of it. 

Remember, you are on a ship full of different cultures in terms of staff. They don't always follow the same social rules as we do in the United States so he may not have meant to be condescending at all, especially if English is not his first language. It may have been just how you took it. 

To not cruise with NCL because of one manager's attitude when you did end up getting a free meal and will probably get another perk if you go to guest services seems a little extreme but it is your prerogative! 

Enjoy the rest of your cruise. 

• Like 11

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

To answer your question: I'd move on.

The coupons and letter are clearly marked for Latitude higher status levels and you got a freebie that you weren't entitled to.  Consider that a bonus.

Oh, it's not any reason to write-off NCL forever.  Geez...

Enjoy your cruise!!

(As an aside, as a newbie to Cruise Critic, you should've posted this on the general NCL board rather than just the Joy roll call board).

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Rrooki18 said:

My thought is that since they left it for us then we should get to use it as the mistake is theirs not ours. 

Well, they DID give you a lot of it! OK, the manager didn't handle it well, but i would just move on, happy about the small extras I actually did get.

• Like 1

I'm sorry to hear that the dining manager embarrassed you, that is unfortunate.  I think I would try to put it behind me and just enjoy the rest of your cruise, don't let the one negative become anything more than that.

As stated, you did get to enjoy a few extra gifts so just focus on the positives and have a great day at sea (or in port).

I guess I'm a "glass half full" kind of guy. 😉

• Like 1

The manager may have been a little confused at first. Try to remember that they are often dealing with people who are trying to get away with getting something they aren't  entitled to. I feel that they could have handled it better, but I would consider myself lucky that I got the water, yummy strawberries, and one free specialty meal. I would just let it go. 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Rrooki18 said:

it might be our last due to the way this manager handled it.

sure, if you want to write-off the entire cruise line due to a single interaction, be my guest.  Once you've written off the other lines because of an interaction with one of their employees I imagine you'll be back.

When I checked in at the terminal last year I asked what level qualified for the Latitudes line (the speedy check-in line), the person asked my level, for which I responded that I'd make Gold on the cruise, and they gave it a couple seconds of thought then waved me to that line (which was empty at the time, by the way).  Had they said to me that no, I didn't qualify for it because I did not have high enough status, then I would have gone and checked in with the rest of the people waiting.  I wouldn't have hung my tail between my legs and sulked off to never cruise with NCL again..

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JGmf said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

To answer your question: I'd move on.

The coupons and letter are clearly marked for Latitude higher status levels and you got a freebie that you weren't entitled to.  Consider that a bonus.

Oh, it's not any reason to write-off NCL forever.  Geez...

Enjoy your cruise!!

(As an aside, as a newbie to Cruise Critic, you should've posted this on the general NCL board rather than just the Joy roll call board).

Actually the coupon says nothing other than latitude member. And your missing the point , it was the way they went about it

embarrassing us. The money makes no difference 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jackieodonnell said:

While the manager did not handle it well, it was a mistake and they explained it to you. If a bank puts $100 into your account that isn't yours...it still isn't yours. 

Go to guest services and kindly explain the situation and that you did not appreciate the manager's attitude as you thought it was a gift from NCL. Perhaps you'll get a free dinner or bottle of wine out of it. 

Remember, you are on a ship full of different cultures in terms of staff. They don't always follow the same social rules as we do in the United States so he may not have meant to be condescending at all, especially if English is not his first language. It may have been just how you took it. 

To not cruise with NCL because of one manager's attitude when you did end up getting a free meal and will probably get another perk if you go to guest services seems a little extreme but it is your prerogative! 

Enjoy the rest of your cruise. 

Thanks for your excellent input. I should say that the free meal is not important, it was the treatment and the way they handled it.

Guest services were very nice and are notifying the appropriate people. 
You weren’t there but im sure you can understand the feeling when you are dressed up and excited for a fun dinner(hibachi) and you are pulled out

of line and made to feel like second class citizens. 
The professional handling of the matter by guest services gives me renewed hope

• Like 3

I agree, it was the attitude of the manager that was the most disheartening, not the fact that you could not use the free dining coupon. That in my opinion is unacceptable. Regardless of what level status you are, that is no way to treat a customer. I'm glad you notified guest services because they should be made aware of that rude behavior. He should of been extremely apologetic and yes, I think you should of been able to keep the last dining coupon due to their error which was none of your own. Since you were already in the process of using it. They could eat that up without much any off loss, it's better to retain customer satisfaction and keep you happy during the cruise. I've worked in hospitality before and these things could arise, however, when they do, we will not take it back. That part is extremely tacky . 

Edited by MouserNY

20 minutes ago, hallux said:

sure, if you want to write-off the entire cruise line due to a single interaction, be my guest.  Once you've written off the other lines because of an interaction with one of their employees I imagine you'll be back.

When I checked in at the terminal last year I asked what level qualified for the Latitudes line (the speedy check-in line), the person asked my level, for which I responded that I'd make Gold on the cruise, and they gave it a couple seconds of thought then waved me to that line (which was empty at the time, by the way).  Had they said to me that no, I didn't qualify for it because I did not have high enough status, then I would have gone and checked in with the rest of the people waiting.  I wouldn't have hung my tail between my legs and sulked off to never cruise with NCL again..

Wow you are missing the point as well. And I really don’t appreciate your comment as I don’t sulk away with

my tail between my legs… ever. I posted this seeking some advice from more experienced NCL travelers. Money and status is not the issue. It’s being mistreated. I thought I was clear about

that. If you’re fine going through

life being ok with poor customer service than fine. I’m not.. especially when im

paying several thousands to be there.

3 minutes ago, MouserNY said:

I agree, it was the attitude of the manager that was the most disheartening, not the fact that you could not use the free dining coupon. That in my opinion is unacceptable. Regardless of what level status you are, that is no way to treat a customer. I'm glad you notified guest services because they should be made aware of that rude behavior. He should have been extremely apologetic and yes, I think you should have been able to keep the last dining coupon due to their error which was none of your own. Since you were already in the process of using it. They could eat that up without much any off loss, it's better to retain customer satisfaction and keep you happy during the cruise. I've worked in hospitality before and these things could arise, however, when they do, we will not take it back. That part is extremely tacky . 

Thank you for understanding my

point. I have reconsidered and will certainly go on NCL again sometime. This was my

third cruise with them and they’ve all been ok. Thanks again

• Like 1

I'm glad you went to guest services and complained about the attitude of the manager. You did nothing wrong, you had no idea those items weren't for you. The crew should have been more discreet about the mixup and not had an attitude, especially in public. Better customer service would have notified you of the mix up but let you use all the items anyway.

7 minutes ago, genealogyfan said:

...you had no idea those items weren't for you.

C'mon, those coupon books have the Latitudes tier prominently displayed on the cover, as below.  There must have been an inkling that they were provided in error, esp since their own key card has their latitudes level prominently displayed.

image.png.986dea1921167491aa818ef68049bbdd.png

1 minute ago, genealogyfan said:

Also you do not have to explain to anyone your feelings or the way the interaction made you feel.

That said, however the OP felt being notified and pulled from the line is what they experienced.  Clearly it was uncomfortable enough to not only go to Guest Services, but to post here.  I'm very sorry that it went south like that for them...

I disagree with most of the comments here.  if the OP says it is not about the money I believe them.  If I was embarrassed or spoke to in the wrong way especially if other people could here it I would not let it happen.  I would have taken that manager to a quiet spot and let him or her know that the way they handled the situation was wrong.  I would give them a chance to apologize and explain to them that if they did not then they would be hearing from the hotel manager.  Whatever happens with the perks happens.  Being able to use the rest or even having to pay back what was used(highly unlikey) is irrelevant at this point.  

OP,  we have been on a # of NCL ships over the years ... mistakes happened, we are human and it is natural ... been on the Joy twice within the past year, great ship and crew - nothing is perfect but we would sail her in a heartbeat.

There is a suggestion box with comment card at Guest Services in the atrium lobby, can't miss it - write out your "dissatisfaction" address to the GM (General Manager) on duty - not sure who's running her this month ... could be Rohinton ("Rob") or Ricardo, if they aren't on vacation or rotated to run another ship in the fleet.  I'm guessing that you didn't join the sailing's Roll Call and/or attend the CC Meet & Greet, as otherwise, you would see the senior hotel operations team, including the F&B Manager - regardless, a written note will get their attention and someone will be assigned & contact or get back to you, to discuss the matter further.  It might not be what you wish to learn, maybe or maybe not.  Our NE-Canada last week on the Escape was affected by Lee & cut short, 2 ports cancelled with a view (great ones) of Manhattan & NYC's skylines for 3 evenings on the floating hotel with 4,850 fellow passengers and over 1,600 crews - you know what, it is what it is.  

Those "cards" that you refer to are for Latitudes Platinum & higher tier members ... on the Getaway, Epic, Escape and Joy, they were affixed with the cabin # and names of the guest(s) on it - perhaps you didn't notice it, or it might've been left out in error on their part.  Also, each time those vouchers are turned in & used to dine, they are validated by the host/ess on duty at the specialty restaurants, and the associated guest keycard(s) are swiped - surprised that it actually "slipped" thru the systems of checks & balances.  

NCL didn't charge you for the mistakes, isn't that great ... (and, I'm not a blind cheerleader for NCL, but a tiny micro-minority NCLH shareholders) for a cruiseline that's on the "nickels & dimes" watch to ding everyone's wallet.  Perhaps I missed something else reading your post & overlook something, and yes, the "manager" on duty could use a refresher in customer services.  

Feel free to look elsewhere for that perfect cruise experience, and good luck.  Time to move on and enjoy the ship for the rest of the cruise.  Regards & cheers 

PXL_20230918_193510008.jpg

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Rrooki18 said:

We cruise 2 to 3 times a year and this was our third NCL cruise…

If you continue to sail with NCL, you'll eventually get what was supposed to be for the other guests. 😁

Seriously, I don't see this as a reason to stress what the manager said nor stress how he said it.

I can understand being upset when something that is supposed to be yours is denied.

I can't understand being upset when something that isn't supposed to be yours is denied. The manager didn't take anything away from you because it wasn't yours to begin with.

I understand that reservations fill quickly and early. Teppanyaki is even more limited because of the seating and dining experience. My suspicion is that missing the experience is factoring into the "mistreatment" equation.

1 hour ago, Rrooki18 said:

I posted this seeking some advice from more experienced NCL travelers. Money and status is not the issue. It’s being mistreated.

My advice is to speak to someone and explain what happened with the hope of getting a last minute reservation. Since money isn't an issue, you would pay for the meal but at least you would get what you wanted.

As for the manager that you feel was condescending, you could speak directly to him and explain how the situation made you feel. If you don't feel comfortable with doing that, perhaps you could tell what happened to the food and beverage manager. Even if nothing comes from it, at least you would have gotten it off of your chest.

Edited by Two Wheels Only

A little perspective - maybe the crew didn't handle it appropriately, only you were there.  Yes the cards do indicate the status level but that may not have been obvious to you. Not sure that I would consider it condescending if someone informed me that I'd gotten the benefit of someone else's mistake but it wasn't happening again - but I wasn't there.

I've seen many threads where people claim that it's OK to pass your free latitudes meals to someone else - and even keep them for another cruise. Not true and the crew really has no idea how you got the coupon, only that the system said it wasn't valid. For all you know, you were the 10th person that evening who tried to use a coupon that wasn't theirs.

Sorry it happened but 2 specialty dinners weren't in your plans when you boarded the ship - assuming you didn't pay for the dining package (which you would have been able to use).  No reason you can't go to the MDR if you're all dressed up.

• Thanks 1