First cruise - Wonder of the Seas - my thoughts

paulfoel

30 minutes ago, toxicfairy said:

Sadly a LOT of people go on vacation with the "I'm on vacation someone else can handle my kids" mentality.  We've seen it more than we care to. We've actually heard people say " I don't care, I'm on vacation " when someone said something about the misbehaving child. 

Also that " I paid for it" , Yes well so has everyone else on the ship and they aren't your babysitters.

And yes that thought that they need to get their monies worth from the drink package.

Nothing will change until rules are enforced .

I love royal caribbean but I hate how they've become so " family oriented " that it's just a giant day care , for both children and drunks.

With you on that - got friends like that to be honest. I just don't get it. 

Friends attitude is "its my holiday too" as in I'll get drunk in front of my kids and I dont care.

Did see a few instances on last cruise with parents with toddlers screaming and they're oblivious with a drink in their hand.

19 hours ago, paulfoel said:

Maybe. Not so much away from others I'd say maybe away from others who want to be loud and boisterous.....

Not sure if there were only 500 people on a smaller boat you'd be able to avoid though.....

Seriously thinking next year, Disney Cruise. Yes its more expensive but, surely, no-one goes on there with the intent of having a 7 days drinking party? Or do they lol? 

Disney has a nice product. We enjoy it very much for what it's worth. 

On 9/18/2023 at 10:51 AM, paulfoel said:

One thing that really put us off though. Don't get me wrong I'm not teetotal but when I go on holidays with my kids I tend not to want to get hammered. Ship seemed half full of people - a lot with little kids in tow - intent on getting hammered 24 hours a day. I don't get it.

Appreciate that in the US, a lot of people don't get a lot of vacation time each year but there really does seem to be a MASSIVE culture of "lets party and get drunk for a week". Maybe its me? Are all cruises like this?

I mean I don't mind people drinking at all but it got a bit tiring watching hammered 30/40 something in the pool with their kids screaming, shouting and whooping at 2pm in the afternoon.

We are approaching #30 with Royal (61 overall with 8 lines) and never witnessed anything like that. Yes, some people could overindulge (maybe saw a couple of them)... but it is not something usual. Even on Carnival we have not witnessed this.

Let put it this way, nothing different from several cruises from UK,

Hmmm from what I know many people in Europe think that people from Britain often have party attitude. I do not think it is related to the length of vacation...

Edited by Tatka

I cruise similar to @OCSC Mike and @budmeister, except I hit the gym and except for a few mornings on days 1 and 2 it's quite pleasant and not crowded.  🙂

Now for the OP @paulfoel I have not noticed as many drunk adults as I have rowdy kids/teens in my cruises since the restart.  I have an 18 yo and 16 yo and they have refused to attend the teen clubs because of the behavior of others.  When they were 10 though they loved the Royal kids' club.  We felt it was a good product.  Yours being a family vacation you of course want to spend time with your 10 yo at the pool and it is a shame that people were acting that way.

We have experienced the exact opposite adult behavior back in 2019. Anthem of the Seas out of NJ... they were older 14 and 12, they wanted to go into the pool and just hang out.  Not splashing.  Not even allowed to move because.. older adults decided to park themselves at the edge of the pool with drinks in hand.  As soon as my girls got into the pool they started complaining about them.  Girls said they figured people were afraid of the young ins making a ruckus. In your experience it was the adults making the ruckus!

Sorry your vacation wasn't the greatest experience!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, paulfoel said:

With you on that - got friends like that to be honest. I just don't get it. 

Friends attitude is "its my holiday too" as in I'll get drunk in front of my kids and I dont care.

Did see a few instances on last cruise with parents with toddlers screaming and they're oblivious with a drink in their hand.

Yup pur last cruise there was a group that hugged a hot tub all day ( not that it bothered me as I refuse to get in those) but they had young children I. It too. One was a baby in a  diaper. They took it out changed the diaper and put the kid back in. And I'm talking baby not even old enough to walk yet. They were loud, drunk and obnoxious for hours.  We were in loungers across from the hot tub. We were happy when they finally left.

7 hours ago, toxicfairy said:

Sadly a LOT of people go on vacation with the "I'm on vacation someone else can handle my kids" mentality.  We've seen it more than we care to. We've actually heard people say " I don't care, I'm on vacation " when someone said something about the misbehaving child. 

Also that " I paid for it" , Yes well so has everyone else on the ship and they aren't your babysitters.

And yes that thought that they need to get their monies worth from the drink package.

Nothing will change until rules are enforced .

I love royal caribbean but I hate how they've become so " family oriented " that it's just a giant day care , for both children and drunks.

this ... this ... and this again !

On 9/18/2023 at 7:24 PM, Badatz2 said:

You might try the Quantum class ships.  They have plenty of youth activities including bumper cars.  Some like the Anthem have an indoor family pool which is much quieter than the outdoor one and is adjacent to the solarium.

We hate Quantum class with a passion ... as the OP is UK-based, he'll understand why when I say my hubby calls it Butlins Afloat ! We've been on it several times in the last few years as the only RCI option out of Southampton but, as others have said, we mostly stick to the solarium and Vintages - they don't even have a decent library !!!

40 minutes ago, allyfree said:

We hate Quantum class with a passion ... as the OP is UK-based, he'll understand why when I say my hubby calls it Butlins Afloat ! We've been on it several times in the last few years as the only RCI option out of Southampton but, as others have said, we mostly stick to the solarium and Vintages - they don't even have a decent library !!!

We did not like Anthem until we learned how to cook it.

We LOVE Solarium.

Library is OK . It is above two70 and not worse than on any other RCI libraries... Not many books anyway.

We have been on all the larger ships, going on Wonder in 2 weeks.  We are Pinnacle and still get the drink package because it is worth it to us.  The Dining package is a waste of money to us, but that is why there are options for everyone.  We never ever get trashed, we are in our 60's and late 70's.  We love sitting at the pool and watching the world go by, so much free entertainment.  We like to be with people.  Personally, we never go in the Solarium unless it is raining, way to quiet in there for us and a lot of them are super humid.  So everyone enjoys something different.  We are super excited to go on the only Oasis Class we have not been on in 2 weeks.  Cannot wait to go on Wonder.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, karena1 said:

We never ever get trashed, we are in our 60's and late 70's.  We love sitting at the pool and watching the world go by, so much free entertainment.  We like to be with people.

The more years we get under our belt, the more we enjoy watching the world go by and appreciate the moment as we leave all of our technology behind.

• Like 1

Just because people have the drink package does not mean they are getting “Hammered” everyday all day. There are plenty of people that get “Hammered” after a couple of drinks or two or three beers. In my 15 years of cruising I haven’t been on a cruise where there were a ship full of rowdy, “Hammered”, out of control people. I don’t care what cruise line you are on or at all inclusive resorts, if there is alcohol there will be some people that get “Hammered”. If you are trying to avoid that then you may want to try to find another way to vacation. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, karena1 said:

We have been on all the larger ships, going on Wonder in 2 weeks.  We are Pinnacle and still get the drink package because it is worth it to us.  The Dining package is a waste of money to us, but that is why there are options for everyone.  We never ever get trashed, we are in our 60's and late 70's.  We love sitting at the pool and watching the world go by, so much free entertainment.  We like to be with people.  Personally, we never go in the Solarium unless it is raining, way to quiet in there for us and a lot of them are super humid.  So everyone enjoys something different.  We are super excited to go on the only Oasis Class we have not been on in 2 weeks.  Cannot wait to go on Wonder.

Yes! We are a little younger and not Pinnacle, but we love to sit at the beach pool on an Oasis class ship and just people watch. Drink package for us, no dining package necessary. But, there are options and ships for everyone. We loved the Wonder, I’m sure you will too!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, allyfree said:

Oh yes it is like floating Butlins....

On 9/18/2023 at 11:33 AM, paulfoel said:

Maybe. Not so much away from others I'd say maybe away from others who want to be loud and boisterous.....

Not sure if there were only 500 people on a smaller boat you'd be able to avoid though.....

Seriously thinking next year, Disney Cruise. Yes its more expensive but, surely, no-one goes on there with the intent of having a 7 days drinking party? Or do they lol? 

Been on Disney- maybe less drunks- but screaming obnoxious kids running around all over the ship.  Limited escape for adults- the restaurants are pretty and creative but the noise will ruin your vacation unless you also have screaming kids!  Food wasn't great and service was rushed.

For a relaxed cruise, try virgin voyages.

Edited by Cruise a holic

Just now, Cruise a holic said:

Been on Disney- maybe less drunks- but screaming obnoxious kids running around all over the ship.  Limited escape for adults- the restaurants are pretty and creative but the noise will ruin your vacation unless you also have screaming kids!  For a relaxed cruise, try virgin voyages.

thanks...... maybe I will look at that too.

Op, we’ve only cruised in Europe and have only had a similar experience sailing out of Southampton. We were on a sailing to the med from Southampton where a lot of people had drinks packages included in the fare and it was chaos. On one of the sea days the pub on the royal promenade was overflowing at noon. Another day, we took our kids out of the lift, to make way for a woman being carried by her partner. That was around 2 - 3pm. Over the course of that Summer there were a number of fights where people were thrown out at the next port. 
We’ve sailed western and eastern Mediterranean since and it’s a lot more family friendly. The odd idiot adult and loud child but that can happen anywhere. 

1 hour ago, Cruise a holic said:

Been on Disney- maybe less drunks- but screaming obnoxious kids running around all over the ship.  Limited escape for adults- the restaurants are pretty and creative but the noise will ruin your vacation unless you also have screaming kids!  Food wasn't great and service was rushed.

For a relaxed cruise, try virgin voyages.

Respect this is your opinion. Our experience on Disney (6 times) has been the opposite. Beautiful cabins with many designs for families, gorgeous private island, good food (very subjective of course).  Were lucky enough to be in concierge once. What a treat. 

On 9/18/2023 at 10:17 AM, paulfoel said:

I guess. Drinks package aint cheap. For two I think for the 7 days it would work out something like $1300-$1400 per couple. Each to his own I suppose but I've got better things to spend my money on.....

But I can see if you've spent this much, hey might as well drink to oblivion. Not for me....

It did seem though that me not drinking was not the norm though I must admit. I'm sure it wasn't like you say. 

Perhaps its because I'm British but I find that someone standing one end of the pool screaming "Whooooaaa lets go - Vacation 2023!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" to someone at the other end certainly lacks a bit of decorum (for want of another word). I want to go on holidays and do what I want to do without interacting with others. If you've had a drink or having fun then the 400 people all around do not need to know this!

Perhaps it is me lol.

Don't get me wrong, theres a massive binge drinking culture with youngsters here in the UK (of course 18 is the age too) but thats restricted to city centres at the weekends (so you avoid this!). OK yes kids going to europe on holidays is also a problem for the same reason - again avoid certain European beach resorts.......

Its just all a bit alien to me being in a family environment seeing "older" (ok 30s, 40s) drinking to excess like this.... And to be honest getting overexcited.

Yeah, just you!🤣

I think we have got it.  You are British, you are sailing with kids in a small room, and since you have responsibilities you don’t appreciate people going full party mode.

I am not British, and I don’t go full party mode, and I don’t appreciate those things as well.  Obnoxious people exist from everywhere.  Some of them are on cruises, some on airplanes, some at hotels, some at bars, some post on the internet, and some at theme parks.   Painting by nation with broad brushes is silly…. JMHO and YMMV

jc

• Like 1

On 9/18/2023 at 11:13 AM, time4u2go said:

Princess and Celebrity are higher end versions of Carnival and Royal Caribbean.  They tend to cater more toward adults and perhaps older passengers than Carnival and Royal Caribbean, which cater more toward families.

Saying Princess is the high end of Carnival, I can buy, but then lumping RC into that, is just nuts.  Princess and RC are much more alike than Celebrity and Princess.  JMHO and YMMV

7 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

Saying Princess is the high end of Carnival, I can buy, but then lumping RC into that, is just nuts.  Princess and RC are much more alike than Celebrity and Princess.  JMHO and YMMV

Interesting. I actually would put Princess above Celebrity. But as you said, JMHO. 

5 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

Yeah, just you!🤣

I think we have got it.  You are British, you are sailing with kids in a small room, and since you have responsibilities you don’t appreciate people going full party mode.

I am not British, and I don’t go full party mode, and I don’t appreciate those things as well.  Obnoxious people exist from everywhere.  Some of them are on cruises, some on airplanes, some at hotels, some at bars, some post on the internet, and some at theme parks.   Painting by nation with broad brushes is silly…. JMHO and YMMV

jc

Oh don't get me wrong I'm in no way trying to paint the nation with a broad brush. 26 vacations to the US in 27 years will tell you that I'm a pretty big fan of the US!

If anything, I avoid areas in Florida (International Drive in Orlando for instance) that Brits tend to populate. Don't get me going how some Brits refuse to tip the correct amount because "we don't do that much in the UK". In my mind, your country, your customs I'm just a visitor.

BTW - impressed to be called British not English. (British but NOT English - I'm from Wales - something that confuses a lot of people in the US)