Low sodium diet

RoePost

First, go to Cruise Personalizer. Select "Check-in" from the options at the top of the page. Select "Dietary Requests" under your name under "Guest Check-in Status". Fill in you email address and select the passenger with the restrictions. Click the box that says "Low salt/Low sodium". Click "SEND DIETARY RESTRICTION".

Now that you've done what you're supposed to do, it probably won't really make any difference. The important thing is to speak with the head waiter (or whatever Princess is calling them today) in the MDR. They are trained to handle dietary restrictions - waiters are not. The head waiter will see you each day at dinner and take your order for then next day's dinner and for lunch if it's a sea day. With the one day notice, they can modify a lot of foods to be low sodium. The next day, tell the waiter that you have a special diet that was ordered the day before.

It's easier, but not required, if you eat in the same MDR so that you can deal with the same head waiter.

• Like 1

I am glad @NavyVeteran answered your question.  That is not how I interpreted your post.  

I am on a low sodium diet and the Assistant Manager (in the MDR) checks with me every night.  Services differ per individual.

One time, I had this terrific person who would suggest and then "create" meals for me.

Another time, one followed me to the Crown Grill with the next night's menu.

On my last cruise, Nicholas was willing to do all my meals after embarkation lunch (Specialty dining that night). I declined.  That is the only meal I "cheat" on.

Gravies are usually (different) and offered on the side.

Cheeses are left off (not fun).

Soups are bland

Some things can't be made low sodium.

Sometimes meals taste salty to me.

1 hour ago, NavyVeteran said:
1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I am on a low sodium diet and the Assistant Manager (in the MDR) checks with me every night.  Services differ per individual.

One time, I had this terrific person who would suggest and then "create" meals for me.

The important thing is to speak with the head waiter (or whatever Princess is calling them today) in the MDR. They are trained to handle dietary restrictions - waiters are not. The head waiter will see you each day at dinner and take your order for then next day's dinner and for lunch if it's a sea day. With the one day notice, they can modify a lot of foods to be low sodium. 

As NavyVeteran said, just speak to the head waiter.  If eating lunch in the dining room, request to see the lunch menu the night before too.

cr8tiv1 has it right too.  Some are much more helpful than others.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RoePost said:

I’m elite on princess but have just been told I need to be on low sodium diet   Anyone know how this is handled ??  Anyone with experience with this request ??  Thanks for any tips 

I understand the diet part, but not sure what Captain's Circle member level has to do with it.  You will be taken care of on the ship as others have outlined above.

• Thanks 3

I mentioned my loyalty status to let everyone know I was familiar with how to request it but first time needing it and wondering how it was implemented. 
I’m  aware that it would be treated same as everyone else.   Wasn’t looking for special treatment.  

Just now, MissP22 said:

I wonder how they handle the low sodium request at the buffet?

Don't think they do.   That would be up to you to pick and choose items you think are lower sodium.   If sodium is a big concern you would probably have to setup something with the lunch dining room staff if the dining room is open for lunch. 

5 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

An adult uses their brain to decide what to eat. If they're on a low sodium diet, one knows what they can and can't eat. 

I have been on a low sodium diet in the past. Food that others prepare can be deceptive. If it really, really matters, you have to learn to ask how things are prepared. A pancake mix you have at home (if no milk added) generally has approximately 125 mg of salt.A pancake from Perkins Restaurant is in the mid-500s. Look it up. You'll be amazed.

• Like 1

We've had much better success with Princess than with other cruise lines in the Carnival family. @NavyVeteran is correct regarding the process, and this has worked well for Mrs. Shellbeachjim over the years. Cunard is similar, but we've been in grills suites, so YMMV. We had several meals prepared table side on our last Cunard cruise, and they staff took her requirements to heart. Seabourn was an abject failure. We notified them in advance and during check in. The cruise line completely messed this up and my wife had two trips to the medical center (I won't go into the symptoms but they were awful). The only way this got resolved was a meeting with the food and beverage manager. Only then did we have a process similar to Princess. It was our first and probably last Seabourn cruise.

• Like 1

I have been on a low sodium diet for several years. Princess is the worst about providing low sodium food. I always notify them beforehand and speak to the chef and the Maitre d. They always let me pick my selections the night before. They tell me the food is low sodium but their opinion about low sodium does not match mine. You also need to be careful that they do not use salt substitutes. I think one of the problems is that they use frozen meats and fish which are loaded with sodium - look at the amount of sodium injected into most frozen chicken breasts. Usually, I give up and end up eating mostly salad, vegetables (which, as one chef explained to me are cooked in salted water) and baked potatoes. For dessert, I stick with fruit, sorbets or ice cream. Almost all bread and baked goods are loaded with sodium. I do cheat a little especially when it comes to the Key Lime Pie but I try to stick to low sodium as much as possible. 
I hope you are more successful with getting low sodium than I have been. Princess used to be one of our favorite cruise lines but the difficulty getting low sodium food (which is not a problem when we sail on our other favorite cruise lines) has made us have second thoughts about cruising with Princess. For the first time in years we did not book a future cruise when we sailed on the Sky Princess last year. 

We usually start to feel pudgy and boated about halfway through the cruise. We get home and in 2 days or so our weight is normal and we feel “healthier”. It’s for sure water retention from all the salt. I have asked for steamed veggies in the past hoping for something healthier, but they tasted like they had been cooked in salt water or brined. 
It’s certainly easier to better options in the buffet, but I really don’t enjoy eating up there.

Edited by sunviking90
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/19/2023 at 8:24 PM, RoePost said:

I’m elite on princess but have just been told I need to be on low sodium diet   Anyone know how this is handled ??  Anyone with experience with this request ??  Thanks for any tips 

Just let the Dining Steward Know he will get you a low sodium choice menu