Secrets on those 'dam ships

ShipWalker

When I am on a ship I like to explore looking for out of the way things. “Secret” things and places if you must.

I thought I would share a few. Maybe you have some secrets to share, too.

On the Noordam and Eurodam (and maybe on others) there is what I call the acoustic chamber. There are two of these nearby to each other on of the two ships.

IMG_4866.thumb.JPG.755b8a166ae7806233c3618fd6ec0201.JPG

Stand in the center of it under the middle light and talk.  You will notice an “odd” occurrence. It is like talking in a sealed chamber. Nobody else nearby you will notice it but yourself.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, ShipWalker said:

When I am on a ship I like to explore looking for out of the way things. “Secret” things and places if you must.

I thought I would share a few. Maybe you have some secrets to share, too.

On the Noordam and Eurodam (and maybe on others) there is what I call the acoustic chamber. There are two of these nearby to each other on of the two ships.

IMG_4866.thumb.JPG.755b8a166ae7806233c3618fd6ec0201.JPG

Stand in the center of it under the middle light and talk.  You will notice an “odd” occurrence. It is like talking in a sealed chamber. Nobody else nearby you will notice it but yourself.

I will on the Noordam in a week. Thanks for this; I’m going to search it out!

• Like 1

I also like to look for out of the way places & look behind closed doors, although I do stay out of places clearly marked not to enter. We were on a Trans Pacific once and we were close to Australia sitting in the pool at the back of the ship, when this woman came and joined us & told us she had just found the bar & pool.  Not that pool & bar were out out sight, it's just that she had never had a look around to see what else there was. We were on the Sun Princess.

Sydney Trip 182.jpg

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, lupaglupa said:

My husband and son loved finding the hidden staircases in the front of the older ships. They could go from top to bottom! But they got stopped once and pointedly told these stairways were crew only <sigh> 

These ones on the R ships?

• Like 3

There is a “secret” room tucked away within the Noordam. It was open to everyone. I like to call it, “A Quiet Place.” I spent several sea days here relaxing, reading and drinking without seeing another passenger.

I will remain silent as to its exact location. Hopefully you will too when you come upon it. Otherwise, it is no longer a secret.

IMG_3012.thumb.JPG.6d7a510d635707f99db438b28f4f2c9d.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Here are four different HAL bread plates.

Notice the HAL ship logo? When you are seated at the dining table it will always be placed in this position to greet you.

IMG_5104.thumb.JPG.de505c2bd543392ab17641ee0919b4b0.JPG

The plates are also available for purchase by asking the Maître d’. (a boxed set of 4 was about $35)

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, ShipWalker said:

Notice the HAL ship logo? When you are seated at the dining table it will always be placed in this position to greet you.

The plates are also available for purchase by asking the Maître d’. (a boxed set of 4 was about $35)

I enjoy my plates and use them frequently. Always make me smile and remind me of some random good cruise experience. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Lost in Italy said:

Enjoying this post!

Anyone have any Secret …. or Interesting spots onboard the Koningsdam that you are willing to share? Taking our 1st HAL cruise in December. 

yes past the  Rolling Rock there is a room where crafts are done with a HAL rep   leading the inxtruction . Usually posted in the daily buy easily  missed . The pea soup at the Dutch Cafe  ,very yummy

• Like 2

On 10/1/2023 at 9:02 AM, ShipWalker said:

Now this is a cruise ship souvenir I would purchase. Do all ships offer these?

42 minutes ago, ShipWalker said:

Take the time to look closely at the art and design details onboard HAL ships. You may be pleasantly surprised to see subtle features snuck in.

Here is a close up of a piece of art on the Zaandam...it was definitely a "surprise detail" to find!

IMG_3952.JPG

• Haha 22

Not many people know this, but you order many more flower arrangements onboard than by pre-order. You can also oder custom, and specify specify holiday, or flowers, or that you want fragrant ones. I've done this for many, many years as I always have shipboard credit from my Carnival stock. I always let the florist have free rein, and Ive never been disappointed. Sometimes in both the Pinnacle and main dining room, the chef will make special items for you on request and given time. I've gotten nasi goreng and cranberry soup in the dining room, and vanilla souffle, grand marnier sauce, strawberries and sabiyon sauce in the Pinnacle, and the Pinnacle once brought escargot from the dining room when it was formal night and I was missing them. 

• Like 6

On 10/7/2023 at 6:48 PM, Lost in Italy said:

Enjoying this post!

Anyone have any Secret …. or Interesting spots onboard the Koningsdam that you are willing to share? Taking our 1st HAL cruise in December. 

Find the secret elevator button to Deck 14:

image.thumb.jpeg.09aa7b5610a81529a20ac8b9945544c5.jpeg

• Like 3