switching from TA to PCC

glorialagos

I'm actually not even sure what I am asking!  My friend and I in the past just booked online with HAL and were assigned a PCC.  We had terrible service from our last one and did not want to use him.  We live in a small town with a mom and pop travel agency and decided to support a local business and had a TA there book our current cruise.  We now feel so out of the loop.  It seems we cannot manage our own booking, can't log in and make payments, can't see what we have paid.  We are wondering now if it is possible to transfer this booking to a PCC that we have seen highly recommended?  How does that work?  Does our TA still get credit or perks or payment for our booking?  

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer.

6 minutes ago, glorialagos said:

I'm actually not even sure what I am asking!  My friend and I in the past just booked online with HAL and were assigned a PCC.  We had terrible service from our last one and did not want to use him.  We live in a small town with a mom and pop travel agency and decided to support a local business and had a TA there book our current cruise.  We now feel so out of the loop.  It seems we cannot manage our own booking, can't log in and make payments, can't see what we have paid.  We are wondering now if it is possible to transfer this booking to a PCC that we have seen highly recommended?  How does that work?  Does our TA still get credit or perks or payment for our booking?  

This seems to happen a lot. I'll tell you our experience. We went through much of the same: trying a travel agent, then doing a lot of the work ourselves. I ended up calling HAL (or other lines) with questions or issues. When I tried with a PCC, it was similar to yours. 

I think transferring a reservation to a PCC depends on the line. Some cruise lines will contact the TA first, but with others it's no problem. But next paragraph says how I handled getting a better PCC.

I called the PCC number and asked for a supervisor; instead, the person asked if they could convey the message to a supervisor. I agreed, but never got a return call. So, I called again and said I would hold for a supervisor. It took a while, but this time I got someone really nice and obliging who said they would assign a different PCC, no problem, not to worry about complaining about the first one. Then I got a call from a great PCC. So, there's hope!

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, glorialagos said:

When you use a TA, they are there to do the work for you and keep you informed. When you booked and paid your deposit, your TA should have provided you with a detailed account of booking, including the amount paid. Essentially all of the same information that in the past you would have received directly from the cruise line. If you want to make further payments, you make them through the TA, not with the cruise line. You can tell how much you've paid by examining what the TA has sent you. If the TA hasn't sent you detailed information, ask for it.

As I understand it, the TA has to agree to transfer the booking, which is unlikely. However, if you can demonstrate negligence on the part of the TA, you may be able to have the cruise line take over the booking, but I've not seen enough information on the process. 

Before initiating anything, you might want to sit down with the TA and discuss your issues. It sounds like you have less than a full understanding of your respective roles and the division of responsibilities in managing the booking. 

• Like 9

I have tried using a dedicated PCC but their work hours are so short it leaves a very small window to discuss or deal with a booking.   My Local TAs offer no perks and can do nothing for me that I cannot do myself.   I like to have control of my bookings both for the cruise and flights.   For those reasons, i always call the cruise line  booking number and give them all the info to create  my booking.  From that point forward, if I need something actioned on my booking I call their booking number and deal with whatever agent answers.   In this way I am not dependent on the 9 to 5 availability of a TA or PCC.   In one case i tried contacting a dedicated PCC that had sent me an email from the cruise line to book a heavily discounted cruise.   Voicemail said PCC was very busy and to leave a message for callback.  I left a message , but after a few hours of no call, i booked through the 1 800 number.    Following morning the discounted cruise had increased by $1000 pp.   several hours later the dedicated PCC called with apologies but a tad late. 

Edited by retird
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Fouremco said:

It sounds like you have less than a full understanding of your respective roles and the division of responsibilities in managing the booking. 

You are exactly correct.  

In the future, I will return to the practice of booking online with HAL.  But, I currently have two cruises booked with a TA that I would like to switch.  I also do not have a full understanding of that process either!!!

Thanks for the help and advice.

3 hours ago, alwaysfrantic said:

Even if you book with a travel agent you still book the air arrangements and excursions, dining etc directly with Holland America.  

So if im going to do all that anyway, why book the actual cruise with a TA when I can do it myself.     It seems Cdn TAs do not offer the added perks as some US TAs do.

20 minutes ago, retird said:

So if im going to do all that anyway, why book the actual cruise with a TA when I can do it myself.     It seems Cdn TAs do not offer the added perks as some US TAs do.

No idea about agencies in Canada.  The ONLY reason I move reservations from HAL to an agent is money.   The price is lower.  All things equal I’d leave it with the cruise line too 

• Like 2

I prefer a TA over a PCC because the PCC works for the cruise line and the TA works for you. That said, there are good TA’s and bad TA’s, and that makes all the difference in the world. We had a terrible TA, and got transferred to someone else at the same agency after complaining. Our current TA is amazing, has saved us thousands of dollars, and resolved issues with cruise lines (in our favour) that I thought were lost causes. Life is smoother, and our travel budget goes a lot farther, which is the bottom line.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, retird said:

That depends on your Canadian TA. My TA's perks work out to ±10% of the cruise fare. I have two cruises booked right now, with the perks on the shorter one coming to just under $400 and for the longer one, over $1,000. I've been with them since they opened their travel arm in Canada, and  I have been very pleased with their service.

Edited by Fouremco

8 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

That depends on your Canadian TA. My TA's perks work out to ±10% of the cruise fare. I have two cruises booked right now, with the perks on the shorter one coming to just under $400 and for the longer one, over $1,000. I've been with them since they opened their travel arm in Canada, and  I have been very pleased with their service.

Is it a canadian TA where you pay in Canadian dollars or is it an online TA that is USA but also operates in Canada.   

23 hours ago, glorialagos said:

The problem with not being able to log in or make payments might not have anything to do with booking through a TA.  HAL's website is notoriously lousy and bug ridden.  I booked through a TA and was able to log in and book an excursion, book specialty restaurants, book the thermal suite, and make payments.  Some of these things I did on the app.  Some on my Cromebook using Incognito mode.  But it wasn't easy.  It is a bit of a crapshoot, and something that works one day might not work the next.  But I don't think it has anything to do with having booked with a TA.  And if you want to do things online I doubt changing to a PCCC will help.  You'll have to either fight through the website and app or call your PCCC or TA.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, retird said:

Is it a canadian TA where you pay in Canadian dollars or is it an online TA that is USA but also operates in Canada.   

Online Canadian TA, paid in CAD, perks in CAD, with TICO protection, etc. It also sells exclusively to Canadians.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

I wish I could, but Cruise Critic rules prohibit it.

43 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

I wish I could, but Cruise Critic rules prohibit it.

I believe if you click on a members name, on the screen that appears you can send a private message with the info.   

• Like 1

23 hours ago, retird said:

It seems Cdn TAs do not offer the added perks as some US TAs do.

Is there some law that says you have to use a Canadian TA?  Contact one of the good U.S. ones and ask if they can book you with their standard perks.

31 minutes ago, Woofbite said:

Is there some law that says you have to use a Canadian TA?  Contact one of the good U.S. ones and ask if they can book you with their standard perks.

No law saying that they must use a Canadian TA. But saying pick a good US one isn't much help as no one here can say which are the good ones.

55 minutes ago, Woofbite said:

No law , but i book in Canadian dollars so i know my exchange rate at time of booking vs having to deal with fluctuating rates pending final payment date.   On line U.S agencies I have contacted , book in U.S. dollars

On 9/26/2023 at 11:25 AM, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

I prefer a TA over a PCC because the PCC works for the cruise line and the TA works for you. That said, there are good TA’s and bad TA’s, and that makes all the difference in the world. We had a terrible TA, and got transferred to someone else at the same agency after complaining. Our current TA is amazing, has saved us thousands of dollars, and resolved issues with cruise lines (in our favour) that I thought were lost causes. Life is smoother, and our travel budget goes a lot farther, which is the bottom line.

I've gone on several cruises with the same TA. It was a nightmare. I book on my own now

On 9/26/2023 at 3:37 PM, Toofarfromthesea said:

The problem with not being able to log in or make payments might not have anything to do with booking through a TA.  HAL's website is notoriously lousy and bug ridden.  I booked through a TA and was able to log in and book an excursion, book specialty restaurants, book the thermal suite, and make payments.  Some of these things I did on the app.  Some on my Cromebook using Incognito mode.  But it wasn't easy.  It is a bit of a crapshoot, and something that works one day might not work the next.  But I don't think it has anything to do with having booked with a TA.  And if you want to do things online I doubt changing to a PCCC will help.  You'll have to either fight through the website and app or call your PCCC or TA.

When a TA owns your booking, you can still book excursions, dining, flights, etc - any add-ons you want. But when it impacts the total cruise fare itself, you cannot make payments through HAL site - you have to pay through your TA.

You will see a comment to contact TA for payments - there is not even a button to click to make payments. I would post a screenshot, but of course, I cannot get in...

If you call in to make payment, they will direct you to your TA and will not process a payment. 

Again, that is not the case for add-ons such as excursions & dining.

When you have a PCC, you can still make payments yourself.

On 9/26/2023 at 7:48 AM, retird said:

What kind of perks are you looking for ? Onboard credit ? Paid gratuities ? Dinner in Pinnacle Grill ? Ask the TA for what you want.  A friend's agent arranges a private car service to take him from his home to the ship, and return after the cruise. The agent pays for it.  That's what he wants and the agent obliges. He's been a loyal customer to that agent for years.