San Diego Cruise Port

jmc27

10 hours ago, habhold said:

We took a Mexican cruise with Princess last January out of San Diego, and the embarkation process was a mess.  It took all day, and the lines snaked around the block.  They eventually explained that sometimes guests can not disembark on time because of the tides, and in our case (we had a hotel with a view of the terminal) no one disembarked until 11 am.  That kind of screws up embarkation for the new cruise guests.  

It seemed to be an issue of how much of an angle there was on the gangways onto the ship. 

We signed up for 2024 April Konigsdam Solar Eclipse Cruise for this year.  I'm hoping the issue doesn't remain, but looking at the boards this seems to happen maybe once a week in San Diego, it is not the Cruise Line's fault.

Cross your fingers.

Hilary Abhold

Anacortes, WA

It usually happens when there is more than one ship in port.  If you are on the April 5th sailing it will be only the Koningsdam there that day.  Should be pretty smooth.

• Like 1

The boarding process has improved greatly because disembarkation has evolved.

Facial recognition allows for a rapid screening of guests by a 10 second process. No longer do you have to be "interviewed" by a customs agent.

Rather than a 4 hour ordeal, the process now takes about 2 1/2 hours.  The first guest usually have exited the ship about 7:30 am.  Around 10 am we can begin to see longshore workers arrive at the entry gate because they no longer need to assist in the luggage hall.

Early arrival times in San Diego are now 10:20 am for priority Group A.

Actual boarding the ship via the gangway normally begins at 11:30 am.

It is much better that what I recall in years past.

David

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Seems they are no longer using the ill-designed "new terminal" in San Diego  which avoids those long lines waiting outdoors. 

That "new terminal"  is in the process of getting replaced with something more workable which should help too when there are multiple large ships in port at the same time.  When we once had to face two large ships embarking at the same time, we did wait inside the  very cavernous main terminal indoors; not outdoors. 

Yes, good point  the San Diego and SF immigration check-ins  now are just a very quick camera scan. Helps a lot to speed things along.

San Diego is trying to make this a better experience. And once you finally get to the HAL part of the check-in process, things really speed along and you are quickly on board with your cruise card and other announcements waiting at your cabin door. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

Seems they are no longer using the ill-designed "new terminal" in San Diego  which avoids those long lines waiting outdoors. 

That pier can only be used for the smaller ships on triple ship days, when the B Street (main) terminal north and south berths are full.

Edited by Boatdrill
  • Thanks 1

We had the earliest embarkation time (10:20) on our cruise in January and we were Club Orange.   We saw the sign and also saw a sign for 10:20 so we weren't sure what line to get into.   And when we asked personnel milling around, they didn't seem to know either.   Somebody finally told us to get out of the 10:20 line and into the Club Orange line which we did.  At 10:20 we were ushered into the holding area...a very quick and easy check in and then we were directed to seats.   We sat there until after 11 as more and more people entered.   There was a lot of noise and people moving around and we could barely hear the loudspeakers and the personnel directing everyone seemed to be lost.   It was not chaotic but very uncomfortable.   Once Club Orange was called we had an easy walk to the gangway and onto the ship and our cabin was ready shortly after noon.  I don't understand why we could not get right on the ship at 10:30...if the ship wasn't ready to receive us, they shouldn't have given such early embarkation times.  I would have much rather sat up on the pool deck for 40 minutes than in a crowded, noisy hangar like building.  The other negative thing I have to say about our cruise (which was otherwise excellent) is HAL's procedure to have your room cards in an envelope on your cabin door.  I suppose it does save a bit of time at check in, but an elderly friend, who was on the cruise with us entered the wrong room by mistake!    He didn't look carefully at the name on the card and just went in and made himself comfortable.   Imagine the surprise when the real occupants walked in!

1 hour ago, mare s. said:

We had the earliest embarkation time (10:20) on our cruise in January and we were Club Orange.   We saw the sign and also saw a sign for 10:20 so we weren't sure what line to get into.   And when we asked personnel milling around, they didn't seem to know either.   Somebody finally told us to get out of the 10:20 line and into the Club Orange line which we did.  At 10:20 we were ushered into the holding area...a very quick and easy check in and then we were directed to seats.   We sat there until after 11 as more and more people entered.   There was a lot of noise and people moving around and we could barely hear the loudspeakers and the personnel directing everyone seemed to be lost.   It was not chaotic but very uncomfortable.   Once Club Orange was called we had an easy walk to the gangway and onto the ship and our cabin was ready shortly after noon.  I don't understand why we could not get right on the ship at 10:30...if the ship wasn't ready to receive us, they shouldn't have given such early embarkation times.  I would have much rather sat up on the pool deck for 40 minutes than in a crowded, noisy hangar like building.  The other negative thing I have to say about our cruise (which was otherwise excellent) is HAL's procedure to have your room cards in an envelope on your cabin door.  I suppose it does save a bit of time at check in, but an elderly friend, who was on the cruise with us entered the wrong room by mistake!    He didn't look carefully at the name on the card and just went in and made himself comfortable.   Imagine the surprise when the real occupants walked in!

Consider yourself lucky to wait in the hangar like room! The rest of us in steerage had to wait in the scorching sun outside, lol. 
I agree about the keys outside the room. I would much prefer to get them at check in. We upgraded our room 3 days before sailing and found the previous (cancelled) guests keys at the room instead of ours. This meant I had to line up at guest services for an hour to get correct keys. 

3 minutes ago, sunviking90 said:

Consider yourself lucky to wait in the hangar like room! The rest of us in steerage had to wait in the scorching sun outside, lol. 
I agree about the keys outside the room. I would much prefer to get them at check in. We upgraded our room 3 days before sailing and found the previous (cancelled) guests keys at the room instead of ours. This meant I had to line up at guest services for an hour to get correct keys. 

We upgraded and had NO keys.  😂  Had to drag our carry-ons to Guest Services and wait in line.  They told us they were in our mailbox.  Uhh… no.  That is why I dragged all my crap to stand in line waiting to talk with you.  Then they gave us the wrong keys and we had to get new ones.  When we finally got in our room there was no access to the balcony because it was full of giant hose and cleaning fluids.  Made me wonder if they even knew if we were on this cruise.  Unless they were expecting me to clean?  🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

We upgraded and had NO keys.  😂  Had to drag our carry-ons to Guest Services and wait in line.  They told us they were in our mailbox.  Uhh… no.  That is why I dragged all my crap to stand in line waiting to talk with you.  Then they gave us the wrong keys and we had to get new ones.  When we finally got in our room there was no access to the balcony because it was full of giant hose and cleaning fluids.  Made me wonder if they even knew if we were on this cruise.  Unless they were expecting me to clean?  🤷‍♀️

Oh wow! That’s ridiculous. 
We also ran down to our “old” room to make sure their keys didn’t have our names on them. Those ones had the new occupants names. I was worried about charges going on our account and the “fun” trying the fix that. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/9/2023 at 6:14 PM, lais said:

There is a sign 

IMG_9842.jpeg

Just rec'd an email saying our boarding time and group had changed and sure enough, we are assigned 2pm, group L. We are 4* but were planning to lunch elsewhere and go to board at 2 anyway... 

ETA: we are 14 days from embarcation

Edited by crystalspin
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Just rec'd an email saying our boarding time and group had changed and sure enough, we are assigned 2pm, group L. We are 4* but were planning to lunch elsewhere and go to board at 2 anyway... 

Maybe Hal changed back to regular arrival times again.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, lais said:

Maybe Hal changed back to regular arrival times again.  

Good morning, Miss R!

Yes, it looks that way.  We are now showing Group A @ 10:20 which is what we were in December.

So when we walk across the street from Springhill Suites, can we just go straight to the gate, show our boarding pass which, in addition to Group/Time also shows Priority Boarding on it, walk through to drop our bags and then enter the terminal or do we still have to line up in front of the building?

Thx.  Barb

Edited by zelker
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, crystalspin said:

See, this is what confuses me.  As a priority passenger (4*) you can check in anytime.  Why on earth would they give you Group L @2pm?  

You are still two weeks from embarkation, though, so there are at least two iterations to go, right?  😂

As an aside, I’m like you.  I took late checkout at my hotel, went for a walk and some shopping, then made my way to the port.  There were a couple of people checking in at the podium, then me.  Not a soul in the terminal.  Was a breeze!

I saw severe storm warnings for CA, today, including San Diego.  Was wondering if there are ships in port and how they’re handling it.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

See, this is what confuses me.  As a priority passenger (4*) you can check in anytime.  Why on earth would they give you Group L @2pm?  

You are still two weeks from embarkation, though, so there are at least two iterations to go, right?  😂

As an aside, I’m like you.  I took late checkout at my hotel, went for a walk and some shopping, then made my way to the port.  There were a couple of people checking in at the podium, then me.  Not a soul in the terminal.  Was a breeze!

I saw severe storm warnings for CA, today, including San Diego.  Was wondering if there are ships in port and how they’re handling it.  

IMO, Not assigning priority times and groups is part of the confusion, chaos and long wait times. Only times were being checked, not status, so workers were sending pax to the wrong line (time lines instead of priority station). It was up to pax to point out the priority status.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It is nearly impossible to read priority status on a cell phone Navigator screen. 

Take a minute to print your document where the stars and/or ""Priority" are easy for the shore staff outside of the terminal to see. 

Be certain to have a bar code on it as well.

David

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

40 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

The downside of HAL's deep and well-earned  passenger loyalty.

Loyalty  is a factor, but club orange and suite priority are both purchased. 

I read that between stars, suites, and club orange an upcoming cruise I am booked in has approximately 50% of the guests with priority embarkation. 

Now that priority can be purchased, the priority lines can often be longer than the non-priority. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Loyalty  is a factor, but club orange and suite priority are both purchased. 

I read that between stars, suites, and club orange an upcoming cruise I am booked in has approximately 50% of the guests with priority embarkation. 

Now that priority can be purchased, the priority lines can often be longer than the non-priority. 

Which can well add to the madness at San Diego port. 🙄 later is better

• Like 3