No booking needed in MDR on future Iona cruise

bobstheboy

In my Waitrose cafe if you order a hot meal they give you a little  number on a stick, and the waitress comes and looks for your table and brings it.  (It is not a very large cafe).  This works very well.

Mine is so nice they will carry your tray for you if you are a bit ancient or wobbly!

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

No, because the fact that so many people are doing what they have always done is precisely the reason why the app isn’t working as designed!

It would be interesting to test this Selbourne, I suspect the answer would be that the virtual queue length would still increase at busy times  probably to a point where passengers would be totally frustrated because IMO the MDRs on both new ships are not big enough to cope with peak demand. 

5 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

It would be interesting to test this Selbourne, I suspect the answer would be that the virtual queue length would still increase at busy times  probably to a point where passengers would be totally frustrated because IMO the MDRs on both new ships are not big enough to cope with peak demand. 

I think we all accept that if we want to dine at peak times then we are likely to have to wait and can’t expect to be seated immediately. Personally, I don’t have a problem with that when using the app, as you can join the virtual queue an hour (or whatever) before you want to eat. I preferred  that to a pager, as you can at least monitor your progress in the queue so have some vague idea when you might be called (unlike a pager). The frustration for us was more about not even being able to join the virtual queue, as priority was being given to walk-ups and they couldn’t cope with both so set the app to ‘queue full’ (this was on Britannia). 

I can’t speak for Arvia as we haven’t been on her but, as you say, the problems reported with celebration nights etc seem to be down to the lack of MDR provision. Iona seems to be far better though due, presumably, to the two extra MDRs. We certainly had none of the problems that we’d had on Britannia. I never once saw ‘Queue Full’ for all available MDRs as we had on Britannia for both lunch (on sea days) and dinner.

4 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

If the app is working as designed then fine, if not do what we have done for years, isn't choice great?. 

When we go on Arvia in April we are going to take a bag full of emergency rations. If all the predictions come true we will spend the whole cruise worrying about food. Coming home hungry is a major concern.🤣

• Haha 6

We never had any issues whatsoever on Iona in March. We just joined the virtual queue as we were leaving our stateroom and was always ready by the time we had got the lift and walked to restaurant. This was at so called peak times and always for a table for two. We never experienced when going on the app to join the virtual queue the "queue full" issue.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

I've read  the opening post again and am hoping those who want to book and are happy to use the app to do so are still able to do so 

And that we can still have our own queue away from the guests who just want to turn up on spec and either shared or be turned away with a pager

I'm sure that must be the case 

It won't just be a free for all

I was not intending to post for a while but this thread has interested me,

My interpretation is that you don't have to pre-book the MDR before the cruise

However, once on board, I assume that you can use the 'app' as now to get in the virtual queue.  Which, to my mind isn't booking a table, it's just queueing for one. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, cublet said:

Hello,

Every Friday my sister, sister-in-law and I meet for coffee in a Waitrose cafe (other supermarkets and cafes are available).

If one of us wants something that is either heated or cooked the person taking the order (and payment) simply takes a pager out of a pool and inputs its number (no more than two digits) on the order that is sent electronically to the kitchen and the pager handed to us.

In the fullness of time the kitchen 'pages' the number, we collect our food and drop the 'used' pager into a tray wherefrom it is recycled.

No-one can or will convince me that using a mobile phone to fulfil this function will be more efficient.

Regards,

Cublet

At our local Marks and Spencer, they recently refurbished the Cafe. 

Now, we order what we want on screens (there are staff around to help if needed, but most people have taken to it really well). During the order process, you take a pager from the stack, and key the number on to the screen. Once the order has been paid for, you take the pager back to the table, and then the staff are able to being to order directly to the table.

It works brilliantly, and saves all the time previously spent in a long queue.

I'm all for technology when it makes things better, but from all that I've read, I'm not sure that P&O are quite 'there' just yet.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, majortom10 said:

We never had any issues whatsoever on Iona in March. We just joined the virtual queue as we were leaving our stateroom and was always ready by the time we had got the lift and walked to restaurant. This was at so called peak times and always for a table for two. We never experienced when going on the app to join the virtual queue the "queue full" issue.

We went on a 7 night staycation cruise on Iona. I can't remember much about it. We were on a cruise, ate, drank, cruised, got entertained. I'm sure on occasions we thought ' oh, bother '. I can remember 710, keel & cow. I can't recall any issues with lifts, apps, queues.  We were on a cruise...again. We have done another half a dozen since then. They were...all of the above.

• Like 2

My understanding is this just relates to there being no need to pre-book for departure.

Pagers/restaurant buzzers are still in use as they are in many restaurants around the U.K. as this is an easy way of queue management without requiring everyone to wait by the podium. On the newer ships they use the wifi rather than a cell phone network.

As for the app, it wasn’t introduced for Iona and Arvia. The app was introduced first on Britannia as part of the post Covid restart protocols. It was the the way, post Covid, that bookings could be taken without needing mass queues by the restaurants

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Selbourne said:

No, because the fact that so many people are doing what they have always done is precisely the reason why the app isn’t working as designed!

They are trying to make a system the ships weren't designed for work on ships they weren't designed for. Ie any other than Arvia and Iona. You can't put new wine in old wine skins --- 

32 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

My understanding is this just relates to there being no need to pre-book for departure.

Pagers/restaurant buzzers are still in use as they are in many restaurants around the U.K. as this is an easy way of queue management without requiring everyone to wait by the podium. On the newer ships they use the wifi rather than a cell phone network.

As for the app, it wasn’t introduced for Iona and Arvia. The app was introduced first on Britannia as part of the post Covid restart protocols. It was the the way, post Covid, that bookings could be taken without needing mass queues by the restaurants

So the "app" being a covid protocol assumedly isn't meant to stay forever.  I had understood it to be a stop gap until Medallion could be introduced however it seemed incomplete and causing more confusion than enough.  Is it still going to be in use across the whole fleet (and for that matter Cunard where it seemed to be totally ignored) or is the plan to phase it out and confine it to the covid period dustbin?

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Was Britannia at full capacity at that time? 

Not being argumentative but PO know things aren't right after all the negative feedback surely?

9 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

They are trying to make a system the ships weren't designed for work on ships they weren't designed for. Ie any other than Arvia and Iona. You can't put new wine in old wine skins --- 

Moley says the new app was rolled out on Britannia, so P&O presumably did think it was suitable for ships other than the Excel class.

3 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Moley says the new app was rolled out on Britannia, so P&O presumably did think it was suitable for ships other than the Excel class.

PO can be wrong you know ........ and any good company that puts something new in place, evaluates it and then adapts if needs be. Then the cycle starts again. Any good manager knows that is how it should be done. I'd like to think that PO are evaluating, listening and will respond and will adapt as needs be going forward. 

Edited by Presto2
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Presto2 said:

PO can be wrong you know ........ and any good company put something new in, evaluate it and then adapt if needs be then the cycle starts again. Any good manager knows that is how it should be done. I'd like to think that PO are evaluating, listening and will respond and will adapt.

P&O have rarely been known for listening to customer feedback, unless it matched what they wanted, so best not to get your hope's up for any beneficial changes to the app.

16 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Was Britannia at full capacity at that time? 

Not being argumentative but PO know things aren't right after all the negative feedback surely?

Of course not.  It also doesn't work well on Britannia, causes confusion and more problems than it's worth.  Frankly it's a mess when the ship is busy which is not helped by the crew doing work rounds.  It may be a good idea in principle but it's an inefficient system offering very basic information.  Until something better and efficient comes along it will continue to cause problems.  If all the ships bar the big two reverted to the old system while a proper modern working system is put in place (after thorough testing) it would be no bad thing.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Moley also said it was a covid protocol to stop queues.  Unfortunately it is now having the opposite effect as witnessed by many on Arvia through the summer months with queues to join a queue etc and the 30 minute before opening theatre queue to allow staff to check everyone in via the reservations on the app.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

P&O have rarely been known for listening to customer feedback, unless it matched what they wanted, so best not to get your hope's up for any beneficial changes to the app.

Let's just hope eh .......

• Haha 1

Whilst it was introduced as a Covid protocol, it’s been used with mixed success since then.

On Iona’s shakedown cruise and it was shocking! At this point it was already in use on Britannia. The app has had constant development since 2020. If Covid hadn’t happened, there wouldn’t be an app.

I’m not saying the app is stopping any time soon, but I think it’s being pushed less and less. For example, booking theatre shows has really good feedback.

Medallion is not perfect but I prefer it.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

How recently was that?

We have booked the Limelight numerous times for the two of us and also for a larger party and always got a seat at the front. We were never first in the queue or anywhere near that.

Definitely in May.  It wasn't 60 minutes though, a huge exaggeration.  I wandered through after coming out of the art gallery about 5 minutes before the doors were due to be opened and there were about 6 couples there.  I joined them and stood chatting, there seemed little point going anywhere else at that time because it took an average of 20 minutes to be served in the atrium.  In the event I was given a front table but more importantly I got served with a drink immediately and carried on chatting with the people from outside.

The other tables started to fill at about 8.05pm.  There were in my opinion some pretty awful ones behind poles, I'd have been very unhappy to have paid for one of those.

5 minutes ago, zap99 said:

No, they are well-behaved children who aren't rude. Some folk turn up late and have this ' I'm entitled , always right attitude ". Oh yes they do. I agree with you.  They should give us all pagers.

Do well behaved kids not need the toilet?

Is dancing in the theatre waiting for a show to start rude? Or just kids enjoying their holiday with their friends?

Asking for someone elses kids?

Mine are grown up?

14 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Do those kids enjoy being sat down in the theatre for 30 minutes waiting for the panto to start?

How many times do they ask "when's the show starting?"

How many times do they need the toilet or want to go and dance with the other kids who are bored stiff waiting?

I know what happens with kids in theatres. Tbf the kids dancing whilst people wait can be entertaining

Did dancing happen in your day.