Promotions.. are they real?

teddie2

Hi looking at cruises for the first time.  I see a promotion for 30 percent off.. is this real or if I try to book a month from now will the price be similar or not so different as today?  I ask because friends have to wait to book for personal reasons and we would like to book when they do to be sure they are going but the price today is so good. I know there is no guarantee and that the prices do change but just in everyone's experience what are you aware of. Have you ever missed a promo only to find the same or similar price or even better price later on? 

21 minutes ago, teddie2 said:

Hi looking at cruises for the first time.  I see a promotion for 30 percent off.. is this real or if I try to book a month from now will the price be similar or not so different as today?  I ask because friends have to wait to book for personal reasons and we would like to book when they do to be sure they are going but the price today is so good. I know there is no guarantee and that the prices do change but just in everyone's experience what are you aware of. Have you ever missed a promo only to find the same or similar price or even better price later on? 

Promotions like this have been in place since 2014, and while the “offer” language changes, the bottom line rarely does. However, prices tend to increase the closer you get to a sailing date, so booking early generally gives you a better price than booking closer in. If the price goes down before the final payment due date, you can call and get the reduced price.

Wait a day for the 30% off plus up to $650 off.... in a week it will change for a day or so for the 30% off and then a couple of days later switch back to the 30% + $650 and so forth.  Also, if you book "now" and you see a cheaper price later, you can usually get a re-price at the lower price...  same holds true with the cruise planner purchases.  So, usually no harm in booking sooner as sometimes prices go up and stay up....

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Promotions like this have been in place since 2014, and while the “offer” language changes, the bottom line rarely does. However, prices tend to increase the closer you get to a sailing date, so booking early generally gives you a better price than booking closer in. If the price goes down before the final payment due date, you can call and get the reduced price.

Thank you for your response.  I was hoping someone would say what you just did as our group is not ready to commit and don't want to lose the deposit.  Also they say you can pay 900 to get a refundable deposit.. thats just crazy.. the deposit is 900 so why would I pay 900 more just to get my 900 back if I cancel???  

2 minutes ago, teddie2 said:

Thank you for your response.  I was hoping someone would say what you just did as our group is not ready to commit and don't want to lose the deposit.  Also they say you can pay 900 to get a refundable deposit.. thats just crazy.. the deposit is 900 so why would I pay 900 more just to get my 900 back if I cancel???  

We sail between 8-10 times a year, and have never (or will ever) pay extra just to protect our deposit. That would be like buying insurance to insure your insurance.😇

7 minutes ago, teddie2 said:

You can also get price drops if they are before final payment. Those drops aren’t happening as much as before shutdown, but there’s always a chance.

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

It's no different than your grocery store flier that advertises something reduced, only to find the base price used to determine that promo has gone up

We don’t see that at all where we live. In fact they have actual sales where the price actually goes down from the previous price. Also, unless the ad says “limited quantity’s” or maximum quantities per item, they”ll actually give you a rain check and you came come back anytime within thirty days and get that sale price if they had run out of the item.
If there is in fact, some stores that do that, they learned that from the cruise lines.

On 10/6/2023 at 2:15 PM, teddie2 said:

You pay a higher deposit, but it is ALL refundable versus a lower deposit but you lose it if you cancel.

A bit of history, this came about as people were booking 3, 4, 5 or more cruises and just before final payment would cancel all but one.  So RCI started the non-refundalbe deposit to stop this. So instead of tying up a few hundred that you got refunded, you either lost the deposits or tied up thousands for several months.

It was especially bad with suites as there are limited numbers of them.

You pay a higher deposit, but it is ALL refundable versus a lower deposit but you lose it if you cancel.

I was told the deposit was 900 dollars and its not refundable.    THen there is a "refundable deposit" that costs 900 dollars.. so it makes no sense.  If I book now and have to cancel even before the date of the first payment I lose 900 dollars... not sure what paying that 900 extra for a refundable deposit does for you.  Are you saying that if got that and had to cancel I would get the 900 deposit back along with the 900 I paid for the refundable deposit???  Its really confusing.. I do understand why they would do that but this far in advance I would not make that commitment.

As for what you said though... that means for the Princess cruise I am looking at that is mostly sold out except for a few not so great cabins, since its so far out and people tend to cancel  there is a good chance I would get a better room closer to the time.  
We decided against Royal Carribean even if we could get our money back because it seems they nickle and dime you ... a similar cruise on princess is a much better deal. I am not caring so much but friends of ours who are cruisers compared the two.  I don't know if RC is a better experience overall but I have nothing to compare it to. I did not like that you cannot do your own laundry for a three week trip that will get expensive at 25 dollars a bag (not sure how big that bag is but I am sure not that big)

6 minutes ago, teddie2 said:

I was told the deposit was 900 dollars and its not refundable.    THen there is a "refundable deposit" that costs 900 dollars.. so it makes no sense.  If I book now and have to cancel even before the date of the first payment I lose 900 dollars... not sure what paying that 900 extra for a refundable deposit does for you.  Are you saying that if got that and had to cancel I would get the 900 deposit back along with the 900 I paid for the refundable deposit???  Its really confusing.. I do understand why they would do that but this far in advance I would not make that commitment.

As for what you said though... that means for the Princess cruise I am looking at that is mostly sold out except for a few not so great cabins, since its so far out and people tend to cancel  there is a good chance I would get a better room closer to the time.  
We decided against Royal Carribean even if we could get our money back because it seems they nickle and dime you ... a similar cruise on princess is a much better deal. I am not caring so much but friends of ours who are cruisers compared the two.  I don't know if RC is a better experience overall but I have nothing to compare it to. I did not like that you cannot do your own laundry for a three week trip that will get expensive at 25 dollars a bag (not sure how big that bag is but I am sure not that big)

If the cruise with the non refundable deposit is $3000 then the cruise with the refundable deposit would be $3900.

Both have the same $900 deposit.

The fact that it is an extra $900 for a refundable deposit is just a coincidence that it is the same as the deposit amount.  Usually it would be entirely different and varies with every sailing.

If you cancel a non refundable deposit you lose the full deposit.

You can change a non refundable deposit to a different ship and sail date for a $100 pp change fee.

A refundable deposit you can cancel up until final paymemt for a full refund.

After final paymemg both deposit types are subject to the same cancellation penalties. 

• Thanks 1

Sorry I feel very dense .. the term :" refundable deposit" I think is what is throwing me.. if the depost amount is 900.. regardless of the amount that makes it refundable .. yes the fact its the same is confusing.. but what am I getting for this?  If as you say the cruise is 3000 and there is a 900 dollar refundable fee.. is it the whole trip that is refundable or the deposit that is refundable.. that is what is confusing me.   So if I book the trip today.. ok and pay 900 for the deposit then 900 to make "something" not sure what .. refundable and the payment is not due till April and I cancel in Feb.. do I get my 900 deposit back?  ok if so then I paid 900 to get 900 back.. I thought the final payment is due in April so if I paid nothing till then except the 900 deposit then I see no point to this extra 900  If it made the entire trip refundable till the the last minute ok then is like purchasing an insurance plan. 

Using the example @Ourusualbeach used above:

If you choose the $3900 rate with the refundable deposit, you pay the $900 now and the balance of $3000 in April.   If you cancel before the April final payment date, your $900 deposit will be refunded.

If you choose the $3000 rate with the non-refundable deposit, you pay the $900 deposit today and the balance of $2100 in April.   If you cancel before the April final payment, your deposit will not be refunded, though you may be able to transfer it to a different sailing for a fee.  

Basically, the higher fare for the refundable deposit buys you some flexibility up to the point of final payment.  On the other hand, you will pay less overall if you are willing to take the risk of losing your deposit.  It's a personal decision which is the better choice.   

Edited to add:  What I stated above was the deal when I booked a Royal Caribbean cruise for next year.  The deposit amount was the same with the refundable and non-refundable deposit amounts, but the total cruise fare was more with the refundable deposit, which would have meant a bigger amount due at final payment.   Based on what @SRF stated below, the OP's situation may be one of the actual deposit being more in a refundable situation.  Does that mean the total cruise fare is the same with either option?   No wonder the OP s confused.  Now I am, too!   

Edited by Joanne G.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, teddie2 said:

Yes.

Non-refundable deposit is $900, you lose it if you can cancel or pay a fee to switch to another cruise.

Refundable deposit is $1800, but you get it all back if you cancel before final payment.

Due to dynamic pricing, there are times when the refundable deposit is less than the non-refundable.

Yes, the cruise fare can also be higher for refundable.

It is confusing.  You have to check all the options and see what makes sense to you.

I normally book GS, so they are all non-refundable.

31 minutes ago, SRF said:

Yes.

Non-refundable deposit is $900, you lose it if you can cancel or pay a fee to switch to another cruise.

Refundable deposit is $1800, but you get it all back if you cancel before final payment.

Due to dynamic pricing, there are times when the refundable deposit is less than the non-refundable.

Refundable and non refundable deposits are the same.  You do not pay a higher amount of deposit for a refundable deposit. 

It is the cruise fare that increases, not the deposit. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach

I did a hold on a cabin for a few days when we were considering this trip which would have been about 6000 and at one point in the reservation there was an option for refundable deposit for 900. Which would have increase the total by 900. 

To me a deposit is what you first put down and not the full amount. This is why it's confusing..so if I added that 900 to get a refundable deposit, I guess what you are saying is that tbe cost if my trip would now be 6900 and if I cancelled before April when all is due, I woukd get that 900 back so no money out of pocket, but if I did go on the trip I would pay 900 more?

1 hour ago, teddie2 said:

I did a hold on a cabin for a few days when we were considering this trip which would have been about 6000 and at one point in the reservation there was an option for refundable deposit for 900. Which would have increase the total by 900. 

To me a deposit is what you first put down and not the full amount. This is why it's confusing..so if I added that 900 to get a refundable deposit, I guess what you are saying is that tbe cost if my trip would now be 6900 and if I cancelled before April when all is due, I woukd get that 900 back so no money out of pocket, but if I did go on the trip I would pay 900 more?

If the cabin had a nonrefundable deposit and the cost was $6000 with a $900 deposit then at final you would owe an additional $5100.

If you chose the refundable deposit option for an additional $900 then your cruise would cost $6900 you pay the same $900 deposit and at final paymemt you woukd owe $6000.

That option fir a refundable deposit adds $900 to the cruise fare.  It has nothing to do with the deposit. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach

16 hours ago, SRF said:

A bit of history, this came about as people were booking 3, 4, 5 or more cruises and just before final payment would cancel all but one.  So RCI started the non-refundalbe deposit to stop this. So instead of tying up a few hundred that you got refunded, you either lost the deposits or tied up thousands for several months.

It was especially bad with suites as there are limited numbers of them.

Not in my case. It is not only a higher deposit but a higher cruise price if I wish the deposit to be fully refundable. I would have to pay US 200 more in order to have a refundable deposit up to 90 days before the sailing date.

Edited by travelberlin

1 hour ago, travelberlin said:

Not in my case. It is not only a higher deposit but a higher cruise price if I wish the deposit to be fully refundable. I would have to pay US 200 more in order to have a refundable deposit up to 90 days before the sailing date.

It is not a higher deposit for a refundable fare.  It is only the cruise fare that increases, the deposit remains the same.  It is just poor wording on Royals site

• Thanks 1

Are promotions real?  The right answer is, Do the math.  Always, always do the math.  Kids' Sail Free vs. 30% off vs. whatever else they might offer is just hype.  Always look at the bottom line -- include port taxes, gratuities, insurance, whatever else you'd choose.  And transportation.  Once you have that bottom line number, you're able to make informed comparisons. 

Consider that if you book today and the price goes down, you can always call in for a price drop; whereas, if the price goes up, you're out of choices.  OP, do I understand that you wouldn't go if your friends didn't go?  

Mum2 well not sure. Most likely we would rather than lose any money but we are doing this more to go with them. Not sure how we feel about cruising and would never go to Europe peak season with the crowds kids and heat but one of them is a teacher so summer it is. If they don't go it would all depend on a few things 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2023 at 7:46 PM, Ourusualbeach said:

Refundable and non refundable deposits are the same.  You do not pay a higher amount of deposit for a refundable deposit. 

It is the cruise fare that increases, not the deposit. 

OK, thanks