Chef's table - worth it?

We enjoy the Chef’s Table but only do when we can get a discount on board. Usually we have been able to get it for 50% off of essentially a buy one get one free. Now with Royals pricing and demand I’m not sure they would even offer that discount. In the past they seemed to be eager to apply the discount.

1 hour ago, adolfo2 said:

And the menu hasn't changed in AGES!!!

Our LAST chef table December 2022 on the vision. We told the staff no more table for us till a change in the menu.  Matter of fact we substituted cheese cake for that melting orb dessert.  I also substituted a port for the dessert pairing.  

• Like 1

On 10/9/2023 at 3:26 PM, crazyank said:

How much you enjoy the Chef's table will depend on lot on who your table companions are.  Our last one was ruined by an elderly Pinnacle who seemed to think she was queen of the ship. She simply wouldn't shut up!  She even talked during the wine presentations in spite of being asked several times to be quiet.

That, for me, is a good enough reason to place an * in that person's profile.  Meaning that any attempt to reserve that type of venue, there are no openings left.  I'm sure the "Chef" was just as frustrated as you all were.  I really dislike inconsiderate people. This would be a legal form of discrimination and a welcome form of discrimination.  JMHO

We have done CT a couple of times on various cruise lines.

We did it on Allure in 2019.The food and wine were great. Our stablemates? Not so much. Apparently they were a party of 10 and were pissed that we were there as they were under the impression it was a private event just for them. They were total jerks about it. Basically ignored us, and the "leader" of the group was a blow hard.

We are sailing on Wonder on Sunday and have CT reserved. We live in a major city where something like this would cost three times what costs on the ship. So it is worth it to us. Have a great cruise. 

• Like 1

If you haven't done it, I would say it is worth doing at least once. My wife and I did it for the first time last month on the Oasis. Everything about it was very good. The food, the service, our tablemates were all very good.

It did bother me knowing that all the CTs across RC do the exact same menu, which sort of defeats the purpose of a Chef's Table. It doesn't really leave any room for the chef to shine on their own or a sommelier to get creative with the pairings. It didn't ruin the experience by any means, but I couldn't help but wonder what the chef could have done on his own.

Again, we were glad we did it and it was worth doing once. Would we do it again? Not unless the menu changed. We actually preferred the Sushi and Sake Lunch at Izumi and would do that again, even if it's the same. 

• Like 2

We did the Chef's Table last year on the Anthem but wouldn't do it again.

There were 2 or 3 people that totally dominated the conversation and were very full of their own importance. The person who I sat next to didn't speak to me at all the whole meal - and yes, I did try to make conversation with him but he was much more interested in being the centre of everyone's attention at our end of the table.

We were a little disappointed with the food. Had to send the steak back as it wasn't cooked as ordered and even when the chef came out to have a conversation with my husband as to how he wanted it, it still wasn't right 2nd time around.

Would love to try it again but .....

• 2 weeks later...

We did it on the Enchantment and loved it.  Had great people with us and the staff were personable and fun.  We're discussing doing it again on our next cruise, but I want to see if the menu changes at all.  We booked the first day.  One of the waiters grabbed us in the Schooner Bar and I think we got her discount.  

3 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

a complete blowhard, no it all and drunk who talked to her constantly for the full two hours.

Ugh.  This is why we are so reticent to share a table with “strangers” anymore.  There always seems to be one in every crowd.  It ruins the entire meal.  The “Cheers with an officer” event seems to bring them out in force.  We try and sit alone if at all possible.

• Like 1

The thing with Chef's Table is that is just as much a social event as it is a culinary event. I've been very fortunate in that I've enjoyed the company I was with as much as the exquisite courses with the wine pairings.

But I can see how it could be a disaster if the patrons are misbehaving during the length of the event -- at times 3+ hours.  It's worth it IMHO to try it just once and see for yourself. After all, the price of something similar on land would be quite a bit more price-wise. 

• Like 1

We did the Chef's Table on the Serenade a few years ago, and got lucky. There were only 8 of us, so the conversation was great with no yelling from one end of the table to the other. Th whole dinner was excellent, but for us it was one and done. The price you got is really good. Ours, if I remember correctly was around $125.pp.

It depends. On a transatlantic having so many days at sea, it was worth it that one time. Table mates were pleasant. If you are a food or wine snob, you won't be too impressed. The server was older, put forth some effort to be a showman, but he had no credibility as a sommelier, while the chef was an undistinguished young lady. Still, it was something I wanted to do, glad I did, but won't repeat. 

Edited by goldfish65

35 minutes ago, njdealguy said:

What I don't like is looks to be only one option for each course rather than multiple options.  I don't eat tomatoes and wife doesn't eat beef so not great for us to eat there!

Yes it is a set menu. My dh and I have food issues and we speak to the people at Chops the day before our reservation and someone from Chef's Table  contacts us and we work out a menu we can eat.  They are always gracious.