Chef's table - worth it?

I know "worth it" is very subjective, but, considering doing chefs table for the first time ever on our transatlantic in a few weeks on Odyssey. Right now it's like $88 a person. Is it worth a try? Normally we're too busy to commit to such a long dining experience, but we'll have more time with it being a crossing. I know specialty dining is generally more expensive onboard and I don't think I've ever seen chefs table offered at a discount onboard that I can remember. 

3 minutes ago, colesc15 said:

I know "worth it" is very subjective, but, considering doing chefs table for the first time ever on our transatlantic in a few weeks on Odyssey. Right now it's like $88 a person. Is it worth a try? Normally we're too busy to commit to such a long dining experience, but we'll have more time with it being a crossing. I know specialty dining is generally more expensive onboard and I don't think I've ever seen chefs table offered at a discount onboard that I can remember. 

We're on Radiance and ate there last night.  Love it.  This cruise is 16 nts so definitely had time for a leisurely evening.  Usually eat there once on longer cruises.

• Like 1

$88 is pretty pricey....but since you have never done a CT before, I'd say it's worth giving it a try.  Oftentimes the enjoyment of the CT is due more to your table mates than the food itself, although the food is generally very good.  We have had some really fun meals b/c of the other people dining with us.  A couple of times we've gotten some duds, but usually it's a fun group - especially when the wine gets to flowing.

• Like 1

We did the Chef's Table on Odyssey in February and had a blast Food was good, wine was good and our table mates were an absolute blast. Have kept in touch with some of them. I think the normal price is $99 per person so I would absolutely do it.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, colesc15 said:

How much you enjoy the Chef's table will depend on lot on who your table companions are.  Our last one was ruined by an elderly Pinnacle who seemed to think she was queen of the ship. She simply wouldn't shut up!  She even talked during the wine presentations in spite of being asked several times to be quiet.

On 10/9/2023 at 1:26 PM, colesc15 said:

The roving waiter sales often offer discounts depending on their bookings.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2023 at 2:26 PM, crazyank said:

How much you enjoy the Chef's table will depend on lot on who your table companions are.  Our last one was ruined by an elderly Pinnacle who seemed to think she was queen of the ship. She simply wouldn't shut up!  She even talked during the wine presentations in spite of being asked several times to be quiet.

Sorry you were annoyed during a very costly (but totally worth it) dinner event.

6 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Who made up that rule?

It's not a rule. It's traditionally how Chef's Tables are situated. 

Here's a good description, including some history:

https://guide.michelin.com/en/article/features/evolution-of-the-chef-s-table#:~:text=The concept of the chef's,squeezed in at the pass.

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 2

On 10/9/2023 at 2:26 PM, crazyank said:

That sucks!!
I often wish there was a sad or angry emoji with the like, laugh, and thanks 

Edited by LilBlackDress

Absolutely loved the whole Chef's Table experience.

The first time we went with the menu with no changes and the second time we asked for no seafood. Both choices were delicious! The drinks and dessert alone make it worth the money and the host and service were superb.

We are planning to do it again on our next long cruise as we have a friend coming that has never been on RCI and we think they will appreciate it as much as we do 🙂 

Hi,

My wife and I did one of these once back in 2017 on the Navigator.

We did not plan on doing it and were not really aware of what it was, but staff came around the MDR advertising it as half price for £34 each as it seemed no-one was too bothered.

The table was for 16 people but on our table only 8 turned up and 2 of them then left for some unknown reason.

This meant that we ended up with a full glass of wine for each course instead of just a swag. 

From what I remember the food and wines were absolutely fantastic, but food and wine are subjective, so if you enjoy your food and wine then go for it, but if not then don't.

Also, be aware that it may be best to do this meal the night before a sea day. We didn't and got off at Malaga the next morning with the intention of going to Torrormolinos for the day, but we collapsed on the beach next to the ship and didn't wake up until the ship was almost ready to leave as we were totally out of it. There was a lot of booze involved in this meal, although it probably didn't help that we'd been in the DL prior to it, so be aware!.

We have not bothered since, but like someone else said, compared to the prices for some of the restaurants, if you haven't done it yet, then it should be a nice thing to do. Even more so now that you are unlikely going to missing out of anything really special in the MDR like the Lamb Shank or a plate of Lobster tails.

Also depending on the ship, there are many different locations for this event. Best look at your cruise ship map. Some are inside the Windjammer area and some are in a private room just outside the MDR with a nice ocean view.

Another thing to be aware of, as mentioned is that you cannot choose who you are dinning with unless you are a party of 16 and book the whole table. However, if you are on a Quantum or Oasis ship, then some of the more annoying passengers may probably be sounding off in places like the Coastal Kitchen instead, so all should be good on those class of ships to enjoy the event.

Remember too that if you have a OBC and they also offer a discount too during the cruise, then this is a absolutely not to miss event.

Enjoy!

Mick.

Edited by Mick B
  • Like 1

On 10/9/2023 at 3:18 PM, time4u2go said:

Just be aware that it is not a Chef's Table in the traditional sense. It is not held in the kitchen, where a real Chef's Table would be held. It also uses a predetermined menu instead of the chef preparing dishes of his own choosing. 

And the menu hasn't changed in AGES!!!

• Like 1