Tip for Kindle on board

Tedferg

18 hours ago, Tedferg said:

I thought of trying that in port with free WiFi but haven’t found any yet and most free sites need you to 'accept conditions' so need to open a page. Kindle has an experimental Browser I might try that. Though suspect Internet Cafe would have thought of that. 

I share your pain with the Kindle e-reader and can absolutely tell you that in my experience the experimental browser did not work with the ships internet either.  I have a Kindle Paperwhite and either download all my books completely prior to leaving home; connect thru my laptop hotspot; or use my Keepgo mobile hotspot when off the ship for free wifi.  Finally got so tired of trying to make my Kindle Paperwhite work for me when cruising because I read a lot (I mean a lot as in 3 to 4 books a day) that I have purchased a tablet that will alllow me to connect to wifi and use the Kindle app.  Love my Kindle Paperwhite for at home and travel but drives me batty on the ship with not being able to connect.

Yes my device is Kindle Paper-white. I have a vague feeling that some iPads can be purchased with cell phone capability. DW will use Kindle App on iPad if she must have one specific book, she often falls asleep when reading in bed, bump on the nose from iPad would a more serious issue 😊

19 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

You can always download it in the terminals with free wifi?????

I guess you could but why would someone wait until they are at the terminal.  When I purchase a Kindle book I download it the Kindle right away.  The only downloads I retain on the Kindle are unread books.  I don't understand why someone would let ebook purchases sit in the cloud and wait to download them until once in the terminal or on board.  Especially if the books are for reading during the cruise.  Missing something.  

30 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I don't understand why someone would let ebook purchases sit in the cloud and wait to download them until once in the terminal or on board.  Missing something.  

The need to download when on the ship comes into play if you have an Ebook on hold at your local library.  You get a text or email when it is available, and then you have something like 3 days to log in and download it, or lose your place in line.  Also, there are sites that will email you free and cheap books to download on a daily basis. 

Yes, under regular circumstances, you can do your downloads before you leave home.

Edited by EatonDoolittle
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, EatonDoolittle said:

The need to download when on the ship comes into play if you have an Ebook on hold at your local library.  You get a text or email when it is available, and then you have something like 3 days to log in and download it, or lose your place in line.  Also, there are a sites that will email you free and cheap books to download on a daily basis. 

Yes, under regular circumstances, you can do your downloads before you leave home.

Thanks, I hadn't thought of the timing for library ebooks.   I do routinely download a lot of free books.  At any given time my Kindle has a lot of unread downloads waiting for me.  Prior to travel, I always make sure to load it up even more.  

5 hours ago, lambs2 said:

I have always, on past cruises when connected to the internet, been able to use Facebook, send photos and email from my Kindle Fire 10, but never tried downloading books as I always do that before I leave home.

4 hours ago, mike&elena said:

We've never had trouble using our Kindle Fire tablets onboard any Princess ship.  Maybe the problem is with the stand-alone Kindle readers.

The problem is with the Kindle e-reader - not with other tablets. The Kindle Fire is a fully functional tablet with normal internet access. The Kindle e-reader is a special purpose e-reader with limited internet access.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tedferg said:

I have a vague feeling that some iPads can be purchased with cell phone capability.

They can! My iPad has that and I have a "cell phone" plan for it. It's because I mostly use it while traveling and can't count on there being wifi available such as on a long car trip.

18 hours ago, MacMadame said:

If you purchase internet, would you be able to connect your Kindle to it and download that way or is their internet limited in some way and won't connect to everything?

You can't sign in and connect to the ship's internet with a Kindle.  The same thing happens with some hotel internet connections where you might be required to enter your name and room number to connect.  Kindles just don't have that capability.

You need to be in port in my experience. You can connect to cell service with a mobile device and use the device as a hot spot or try to connect to Wi-Fi with the Kindle. I've never found a way to connect my Kindle to the internet will at sea.

31 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

You can't sign in and connect to the ship's internet with a Kindle.  The same thing happens with some hotel internet connections where you might be required to enter your name and room number to connect.  Kindles just don't have that capability.

You need to be in port in my experience. You can connect to cell service with a mobile device and use the device as a hot spot or try to connect to Wi-Fi with the Kindle. I've never found a way to connect my Kindle to the internet will at sea.

You evidently haven't read the preceding posts. I have both an older Kindle e-Reader and a Kindle Fire and you can't just say "Kindle", you must be more specific.

Kindle e-Readers do not connect well to the ship's WiFi as they won't go through the authentication protocol with the antiquated browser.

Kindle Fire devices do connect to the ship's Wifi with no difficulty at all.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, beg3yrs said:

You evidently haven't read the preceding posts. I have both an older Kindle e-Reader and a Kindle Fire and you can't just say "Kindle", you must be more specific.

Kindle e-Readers do not connect well to the ship's WiFi as they won't go through the authentication protocol with the antiquated browser.

You are correct although I believe most people are referring to e-readers rather than tablets, when they say “Kindle”

Just now, beg3yrs said:

Can you please explain the exact settings you use to connect your kindle fire to the ship’s WiFi? ie, airplane mode on etc. I’m currently on the Royal and can’t seem to connect my kindle fire.   Thanks 

Guest Snaxmuppet

I believe the issue with e-readers, such as Kindle, is that they don't have full browsers. To connect to the ship wifi you have to sign in using a browser... that isn't possible with e-readers. Kindle Fire is a full tablet and so has a proper browser with which you can sign in to the ship wifi system in the same way as any laptop or tablet.

Some phones will allow you to set up a hotspot to share the wifi and if you can do that then you can sign in to the ship wifi on the phone and then connect the e-reader to the hotspot on the phone. That may or may not work and YMMV. Just make sure you have your cell data turned off first or it may get expensive.

1 hour ago, pompeii said:

Can you please explain the exact settings you use to connect your kindle fire to the ship’s WiFi? ie, airplane mode on etc. I’m currently on the Royal and can’t seem to connect my kindle fire.   Thanks 

Turning on airplane mode will disable ALL radio-frequency communications including the WiFi.

Go into your settings and turn on the WiFi. Once that's done the Fire will scan for available WiFi networks. One of them will be the ship's WiFi. It will likely contain the ship's name (Royal) but I can't be sure. Your Internet Cafe manager or the Ocean Front people should be able to help you connect to the correct WiFi. From there use your Silk Browser to access the local website, "login.com" and you should then be provided with the means to completely login.

1 hour ago, Snaxmuppet said:

I believe the issue with e-readers, such as Kindle, is that they don't have full browsers. To connect to the ship wifi you have to sign in using a browser... that isn't possible with e-readers. Kindle Fire is a full tablet and so has a proper browser with which you can sign in to the ship wifi system in the same way as any laptop or tablet.

Some phones will allow you to set up a hotspot to share the wifi and if you can do that then you can sign in to the ship wifi on the phone and then connect the e-reader to the hotspot on the phone. That may or may not work and YMMV. Just make sure you have your cell data turned off first or it may get expensive.

I'm not sure about Android or Google phones but the iPhone hot-spot requires a cellular Internet connection to provide the WiFi connection for your devices. It does not provide a WiFi-to-WiFi hotspot service.

8 hours ago, ldubs said:

I guess you could but why would someone wait until they are at the terminal.  When I purchase a Kindle book I download it the Kindle right away.  The only downloads I retain on the Kindle are unread books.  I don't understand why someone would let ebook purchases sit in the cloud and wait to download them until once in the terminal or on board.  Especially if the books are for reading during the cruise.  Missing something.  

We use BookBub.com and get a daily email with a list of inexpensive books. Often see a book we like and buy it while sitting at PC, Kindle is in another room. 

11 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

We use BookBub.com and get a daily email with a list of inexpensive books. Often see a book we like and buy it while sitting at PC, Kindle is in another room. 

Not BookBub, but that method is normal for me too.  I usually borrow or buy ebooks using my laptop.  Then download them on the kindle.   I just find it easier to search for things I might enjoy.   

12 hours ago, ldubs said:

We use a shared library so there are lots of books available in my library that I may not have downloaded. If I buy a book on Amazon, have a pre-order become available, or a library hold show up, they might also be in my library but not downloaded if my Kindle wasn’t handy at the moment.

I only connect my Kindle to wifi occasionally, maybe once a week to download, return or remove books. I never use it to purchase books.

On 10/12/2023 at 1:34 AM, pmCruiser said:

I never had a problem downloading to my Kindle.  I create a Wi-Fi hotspot using my tablet, connect my Kindle to that hotspot, and download.  It has always worked in the past.  But, there is no guarantee that it will work in the future.

On the Crown in March, an Internet cafe worker created a hotspot on his laptop to which I was able to download one of the books I had bought. It only worked for one book, but that was better than nothing. Other people were able to also use his hotspot. I just download early now.

7 hours ago, Torfamm said:

We use a shared library so there are lots of books available in my library that I may not have downloaded. If I buy a book on Amazon, have a pre-order become available, or a library hold show up, they might also be in my library but not downloaded if my Kindle wasn’t handy at the moment.

I only connect my Kindle to wifi occasionally, maybe once a week to download, return or remove books. I never use it to purchase books.

Well, to avoid a potential download issue after boarding it might be a good idea to modify your routine and take a few minutes before leaving home.  That is what the OP's advice is all about.  

5 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Well, to avoid a potential download issue after boarding it might be a good idea to modify your routine and take a few minutes before leaving home.  That is what the OP's advice is all about.  

Yes, I agree. However it’s also good to know your options for books acquired after the ship sails.

9 hours ago, Yehootu said:

On the Crown in March, an Internet cafe worker created a hotspot on his laptop to which I was able to download one of the books I had bought. It only worked for one book, but that was better than nothing. Other people were able to also use his hotspot. I just download early now.

Does the Kindle see the hotspot and connect automatically?

26 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Most devices will not automatically connect to WiFi hotspots unless they've been previously approved for automatic connection by the device user. It's a security feature as not all hotspots are legit.

1 hour ago, beg3yrs said:

Most devices will not automatically connect to WiFi hotspots unless they've been previously approved for automatic connection by the device user. It's a security feature as not all hotspots are legit.

Ok thanks, DW has enough books downloaded. She can wait for the next step in the Mystery 😊

On 10/11/2023 at 6:55 PM, Rick&Jeannie said:

I always download several books to my Kindle BEFORE leaving home.  Make sure that you actually get them to download to your device...not just "show up" in your library.  I jumped through the hoops once of setting up a hotspot with my phone...it was a real pain.  I just make sure all is set before leaving home.

Several books??? I've got at least a hundred on my Kindle and other e-reader, just waiting/hoping for me to read them. So many books, so little time (and I'm retired).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tedferg said:

I really can't remember. The internet attendant took care of it for me. I was only able to download one book, other 2 wouldn't.