New England/Canada Cruises - Your Experiences and Thoughts

JDPCruisers

We did a 14 day cruise on the Summit round-trip out of New Jersey with an overnight in Quebec City in 2015 (one of Captain Kate's earliest cruises in charge) and that was one of my favorite itineraries.  The overnight in Quebec City gave us a chance to just wander one day without worrying about being back on time and then we chose an excursion that took us to a winery the second day.  It's also really neat to cruise down the St. Lawrence River and the scenery is really pretty.  We also lucked out and were there during peak fall colors.

We just booked a one-way itinerary that hits most of those same ports on a different cruise line for 2025 that I'm really looking forward it.

I have cruised the Eclipse as recently as May of this year (Honolulu to Hawaii) and enjoyed the ship.  I'm sure it would be a great ship to take to Canada/New England.

Do you have any specific questions?  

In case you want a lot of details, I did blog both those trips (link to my personal blog in my signature).  The tag "Celebrity Summit" will get you to the Canada/New England cruise I did.  The most recent posts under the tag "Celebrity Eclipse" will get you to my recent Eclipse cruise.

A month ago did Quebec to Boston on a different cruise line. The highlight was Quebec city. Spent two days there prior to the cruise and would have liked more time there. Next favorite port was Bar Harbor as we visited Acadia National Park. 

We did that cruise  last year after a Round Trip to Iceland / Greenland on Summit.   The New England cruise was one of our favorites and would definitely do it again.  While not the same ship Summit has gone through Revolution and is fantastic condition.  

The ship docks downtown minutes away from all the hustle and bustle of and incredible city.   The crew also enjoyed as they could get off after work and spend sometime enjoying the port.

I've also been on Eclipse in the past year and she is a beautiful ship but if I remember she did not go through the Revolution.  This may be good or bad depending on your opinion and whether traveling in a suite.    If not in a suite you will love that you have access to the forward facing Solstice Deck which was turned into an exclusive Retreat Sun Deck on ships that have gone through the Revolution. They still also have the basketball court.

The S-Class also has the advantage of more specialty dining rooms

Summit swapped out with Eclipse just recently ( the east coast itineraries). 
We have sailed on Summit many times and sailed her for the New England/Canada Oct 2022.  We loved the fall foliage and booked at this time frame just for that.  Marvelous cruise. Boston RT, Portland, Bar Harbor, Halifax, Quebec City and Sydney. 

We have done the Canada/New England itinerary on Celebrity four times.  

Once we did it as two legs of a B2B2B.  That year Celebrity did three of these itineraries, and we were on the last two.  Definitely was more foliage on the last cruise than the cruise before.  And we were told by staff that the first of those three Canada/New England itineraries that year had virtually no foliage change.  While prime foliage is hard to predict I wonder if the dates our OP will be cruising may be on the early side for prime colors.

In Quebec the ships do not always dock downtown beside Lower Town.  Once we were docked at the farther docks (below the Plains of Abraham) and a shuttle was used to move folks to the Lower Town location.

These itineraries have interesting ports which are easy to DIY.  For example, we have done the Casco Bay mail ferry twice when in Portland.  And Ollie's Trolley is fun in Bar Harbor.

did this itin  yrs ago on Constellation when she was new..very memorable cruise!

.  Overnight in Quebec, another day was  a visit to the country..leaves turning .... travel up the Saguenay Fjiord, whales in the St Lawrence..

Enjoy!

We did that cruise a few times.  Loved it.  All of the ports had something to offer.  Don’t expect much balcony time or pool time.  It gets rather chilly for the cruising speed.  

Personally can’t say cruising thru the seaway did much.  When we sailed into it  we were probably still in bed and the sail away was during dinner time and dark.  

If you are a senior you can purchase a golden pass at the ranger station in Bar Harbor that gives you a life time pass for everyone in your vehicle into all of the national parks.   At the ranger station there is also a free bus that goes into Arcadia Nation park making many stops except for Cadillac Mountain.  It is sponsored by L L Bean.  We went to Jordan pond and got their  pop overs.    The ranger station is about a 6 block walk from the dock.   Coming back you can stop at the ice cream store and get a free sample of lobster ice cream. 

if you want a great lobster roll stop at the Dog and Pony.  It is a little off the beaten path.  One block away form the Main Street.  It is where the locals go.    We paid $16, I think it is about $26 now.  That is a  pint glass for reference.  can you see the bun? We could have spilt it but we didn’t as we didn’t know how large it was.

in Hamilton we walked to the Maritime museum.  It has a section about the Titanic along with other neat stuff.  

At each port there is a lot to do and see without taking any tours if you are able to walk around.  

IMG_2156.jpeg

Edited by miched
  • Thanks 1

Just sailed this itinerary on Summit in September. Second time for a Canada/NE Cruise (on Holland 10 years ago). Beautiful itinerary. Loved QC and PEI. Bar Harbor is always a treat and this time we did a boat tour of the lighthouses there. Beautiful weather and gorgeous scenery. 

18 hours ago, JDPCruisers said:

We are booked on Eclipse August 28 - Sept 8 next year for the first time and interested in thoughts about the ports, overnight in Quebec, etc. regardless of the ship. But those that have done this on Eclipse would be appreciated. 

I think your dates are ok but in recent years, there were some hurricanes that hit Eastern Canada in September (Fiona 2022 and Lee 2023).

We had a neighbor that just did this cruise and Lee caused one of the ports to be skipped as a result.

Not really something to worry about or something you can do something about but fall is hurricane season and doesn’t only affect the Caribbean 

We’ve not done this itinerary but would like to do it in the next few years and look forward to your review

Edited by Cruise till you drop

6 hours ago, Cruise till you drop said:

I think your dates are ok but in recent years, there were some hurricanes that hit Eastern Canada in September (Fiona 2022 and Lee 2023).

We had a neighbor that just did this cruise and Lee caused one of the ports to be skipped as a result.

Not really something to worry about or something you can do something about but fall is hurricane season and doesn’t only affect the Caribbean 

We’ve not done this itinerary but would like to do it in the next few years and look forward to your review

We were on the cruise affected by Fiona. Missed 2 ports, but added overnights in Quebec City and Portland which were nice.  Seas were actually very calm. Service and food on Summit in Blu were some of our worst ever strangely enough as usually it gets good reviews.  And then we came home with Covid.....But there was a lot to love about it. Our favorite was Quebec City and sightseeing in Boston before we sailed. On Eclipse now and really enjoying the cruise. Not revolutionized but in good shape and staff is very good,  as is the food (we're in Luminae). 

Just did this cruise in September. One of our favorites ever.  Loved every port-I know they are not going to do Bar Harbor anymore (which we enjoyed), but it is a beautiful cruise. We were on Summit and loved it. But we were on Eclipse in January and enjoyed that, too.

We just did this as a back-to-back. Lee interrupted our Southbound (missed Charlottetown, Halifax, and Bar Harbor), but the Northbound return had printine weather and we got to both Charlottetown and Halifax anyway. Excellent itineraries for the most part, though Sydney was not terribly interesting, and multiple medical evacuations including a helicopter and a backtrack.

@JDPCruisers

Come on over to the roll call!

August 28, 2024 Boston to Quebec - Celebrity Eclipse Roll Calls - Cruise Critic Community

Via land, we've been to Quebec and look forward to returning. And though we've been to Nova Scotia, including the Cape Breton Peninsula, and PEI, we've not spent time in Halifax, Sydney nor Charlottetown so we are anticipating new sights.

So far, we've not booked/planned excursions, but I have found the Canada/New England Ports forum here on Cruise Critic to be chock full of information including links to private tour operators in each port.

Aside from possible hurricanes, one other negative about the timing of this cruise is that it's too soon for fall foliage.

As to the Eclipse, our first Celebrity cruise was on her when she was a baby and since then we've sailed her @ 50 additional days, last in 2019. Hope she's holding up well.

Edited by TMLAalum

On 10/13/2023 at 4:31 PM, prmssk said:

We did a 14 day cruise on the Summit round-trip out of New Jersey with an overnight in Quebec City in 2015 (one of Captain Kate's earliest cruises in charge) and that was one of my favorite itineraries.  The overnight in Quebec City gave us a chance to just wander one day without worrying about being back on time and then we chose an excursion that took us to a winery the second day.  It's also really neat to cruise down the St. Lawrence River and the scenery is really pretty.  We also lucked out and were there during peak fall colors.

We just booked a one-way itinerary that hits most of those same ports on a different cruise line for 2025 that I'm really looking forward it.

I have cruised the Eclipse as recently as May of this year (Honolulu to Hawaii) and enjoyed the ship.  I'm sure it would be a great ship to take to Canada/New England.

Do you have any specific questions?  

In case you want a lot of details, I did blog both those trips (link to my personal blog in my signature).  The tag "Celebrity Summit" will get you to the Canada/New England cruise I did.  The most recent posts under the tag "Celebrity Eclipse" will get you to my recent Eclipse cruise.

Thanks for the feedback. Will check you review as look forward to learning more about this itinerary and ship.

On 10/13/2023 at 5:24 PM, Jim_Iain said:

We did that cruise  last year after a Round Trip to Iceland / Greenland on Summit.   The New England cruise was one of our favorites and would definitely do it again.  While not the same ship Summit has gone through Revolution and is fantastic condition.  

The ship docks downtown minutes away from all the hustle and bustle of and incredible city.   The crew also enjoyed as they could get off after work and spend sometime enjoying the port.

I've also been on Eclipse in the past year and she is a beautiful ship but if I remember she did not go through the Revolution.  This may be good or bad depending on your opinion and whether traveling in a suite.    If not in a suite you will love that you have access to the forward facing Solstice Deck which was turned into an exclusive Retreat Sun Deck on ships that have gone through the Revolution. They still also have the basketball court.

The S-Class also has the advantage of more specialty dining rooms

Many thanks. Appreciate your thoughts and experiences. Good to know Eclipse was in beautiful condition when you were on her. We're hoping it will remain so next year. We are in the Retreat and like what both the Retreat and Michaels Club offers in their own way. One of the things we like about cruising the different classes, the unique differences. 

On 10/13/2023 at 6:23 PM, Ocdublin said:

We did this cruise last year and it was fantastic.  Quebec was beautiful, the ship docks right below the city and at night it’s unbelievable.  I had no expectations for this cruise and it was one of the best!

IMG_0901.jpeg

Thanks. Looking forward to cruising into that view and enjoying the city!

On 10/13/2023 at 6:47 PM, Cachecara said:

Summit swapped out with Eclipse just recently ( the east coast itineraries). 
We have sailed on Summit many times and sailed her for the New England/Canada Oct 2022.  We loved the fall foliage and booked at this time frame just for that.  Marvelous cruise. Boston RT, Portland, Bar Harbor, Halifax, Quebec City and Sydney. 

Great to hear and thanks!

On 10/13/2023 at 7:27 PM, hcat said:

did this itin  yrs ago on Constellation when she was new..very memorable cruise!

.  Overnight in Quebec, another day was  a visit to the country..leaves turning .... travel up the Saguenay Fjiord, whales in the St Lawrence..

Enjoy!

Thanks!

On 10/13/2023 at 8:45 PM, miched said:

We did that cruise a few times.  Loved it.  All of the ports had something to offer.  Don’t expect much balcony time or pool time.  It gets rather chilly for the cruising speed.  

Personally can’t say cruising thru the seaway did much.  When we sailed into it  we were probably still in bed and the sail away was during dinner time and dark.  

If you are a senior you can purchase a golden pass at the ranger station in Bar Harbor that gives you a life time pass for everyone in your vehicle into all of the national parks.   At the ranger station there is also a free bus that goes into Arcadia Nation park making many stops except for Cadillac Mountain.  It is sponsored by L L Bean.  We went to Jordan pond and got their  pop overs.    The ranger station is about a 6 block walk from the dock.   Coming back you can stop at the ice cream store and get a free sample of lobster ice cream. 

if you want a great lobster roll stop at the Dog and Pony.  It is a little off the beaten path.  One block away form the Main Street.  It is where the locals go.    We paid $16, I think it is about $26 now.  That is a  pint glass for reference.  can you see the bun? We could have spilt it but we didn’t as we didn’t know how large it was.

in Hamilton we walked to the Maritime museum.  It has a section about the Titanic along with other neat stuff.  

At each port there is a lot to do and see without taking any tours if you are able to walk around.  

IMG_2156.jpeg

This is great info and the lobster roll looks fantastic, we'll certainly try it. 

On 10/14/2023 at 7:26 AM, mlparker said:

Just sailed this itinerary on Summit in September. Second time for a Canada/NE Cruise (on Holland 10 years ago). Beautiful itinerary. Loved QC and PEI. Bar Harbor is always a treat and this time we did a boat tour of the lighthouses there. Beautiful weather and gorgeous scenery. 

Great to hear of your recent experience. Looking foreword to PEI for some mussels!

On 10/14/2023 at 1:56 PM, phoenix_dream said:

We were on the cruise affected by Fiona. Missed 2 ports, but added overnights in Quebec City and Portland which were nice.  Seas were actually very calm. Service and food on Summit in Blu were some of our worst ever strangely enough as usually it gets good reviews.  And then we came home with Covid.....But there was a lot to love about it. Our favorite was Quebec City and sightseeing in Boston before we sailed. On Eclipse now and really enjoying the cruise. Not revolutionized but in good shape and staff is very good,  as is the food (we're in Luminae). 

Odd to hear about Blu as we have dined there before and it was very good. We're going to be Retreat as we have been on previous cruises so Luminae is our go-to and looking forward to it as we've always had great experiences there with food and service. Glad to hear about Eclipse and even though we have three more cruises before this one next year we're getting excited about a new itinerary and ship for us. I know staff will turn over, but who is your concierge, and do you have a Dedicated or a Head Butler? Any issues you've experienced there or anything you would like to share about the suite, service, etc. would be great.

On 10/15/2023 at 7:12 AM, TMLAalum said:

@JDPCruisers

Come on over to the roll call!

August 28, 2024 Boston to Quebec - Celebrity Eclipse Roll Calls - Cruise Critic Community

Via land, we've been to Quebec and look forward to returning. And though we've been to Nova Scotia, including the Cape Breton Peninsula, and PEI, we've not spent time in Halifax, Sydney nor Charlottetown so we are anticipating new sights.

So far, we've not booked/planned excursions, but I have found the Canada/New England Ports forum here on Cruise Critic to be chock full of information including links to private tour operators in each port.

Aside from possible hurricanes, one other negative about the timing of this cruise is that it's too soon for fall foliage.

As to the Eclipse, our first Celebrity cruise was on her when she was a baby and since then we've sailed her @ 50 additional days, last in 2019. Hope she's holding up well.

Yes, will do and thanks for the info. Like you, trust Eclipse is in great shape and from those that have shared sounds like that is the case. With having back-to-back we can do ports on our own and second time around do excursions. Like that flexibility.