Triple Occupancy, Having Stateroom Serviced

FlyGal25

We are X diehards but their itineraries didn't work for our spring break so we ventured back to our roots with RCCL. Will be on the Odyssey, family of 3. 

Question: with RCCL only doing 1 cabin cleaning per day are we always stuck with the couch as a bed? That really cramps our style as we are used to having the couch in the daytime and a bed made in the evening for turndown service. Feels so cluttered with it as a bed in the daytime. But I don't want to have to make up the bed each night either. I can understand not servicing everything 2 times a day but making beds for 3rd and 4th passenger doesn't seem like an insurmountable task. 

🤷‍♀️

So if you had a 3rd person in your room with the new service what did you do? 

Edited by FlyGal25

• FlyGal25 changed the title to Triple Occupancy, Having Stateroom Serviced
1 minute ago, FlyGal25 said:

We are X diehards but their itineraries didn't work for our spring break so we ventured back to our roots with RCCL. Will be on the Odyssey, family of 3. 

Question: with RCCL only doing 1 cabin cleaning per day are we always stuck with the couch as a bed? That really cramps our style as we are used to having the couch in the daytime and a bed made in the evening for turndown service. Feels so cluttered with it as a bed in the daytime. But I don't want to have to make up the bed each night either. I can understand not servicing everything 2 times a day but making beds for 3rd and 4th passenger doesn't seem like an insurmountable task. 

🤷‍♀️

I went through this exact situation on Navigator in August.  I took GK's and had a Ultimate spacious OV cabin.  I asked the attendant about putting the bed in and out morning and evening and he said, no problem he'd take care of it.  

He didn't clean the room a second time but would come while we were at dinner and pull the bed out and put on the sheets.

For full disclosure, I tend to tip the cabin steward on Day 1 when meeting him and letting him know what I want/need from him.  Maybe that helped grease the wheels a little.  

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I went through this exact situation on Navigator in August.  I took GK's and had a Ultimate spacious OV cabin.  I asked the attendant about putting the bed in and out morning and evening and he said, no problem he'd take care of it.  

He didn't clean the room a second time but would come while we were at dinner and pull the bed out and put on the sheets.

For full disclosure, I tend to tip the cabin steward on Day 1 when meeting him and letting him know what I want/need from him.  Maybe that helped grease the wheels a little.  

I would agree, a extra cash tip goes a long way. 

11 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

Tipping him ahead of time had nothing to do with it.   I've seen several reports of the stewards coming in simply to either take down or make up the bed in addition to regular timed service.  We never hand them a tip at the beginning of a cruise and have never had anything but superior service and requests taken care of quickly.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

Exact same experience I have had with the grands.  

The steward absolutely will take care of the pullman or hide a way bed.

• Like 2

When we were on Harmony and had 4 in our room (2 adults, 2 kids), I asked the steward about putting away the couch for us in the morning (we chose evening service) and he straight up said no. He was happy to bring extra towels during morning service if needed but putting away the bed was considered a second service.  We slide the bed back to a couch ourselves each morning and folded up the blankets and threw them on top. I’m hoping this has changed since our cruise, it was back in April when the reduction in service was still fairly new and I think different stewards were following different rules.  We had a neighborhood balcony, not sure if the room type makes a difference.  But wanted to let you know that this service may not be a guarantee depending on your steward. 

41 minutes ago, Grankm21 said:

When we were on Harmony and had 4 in our room (2 adults, 2 kids), I asked the steward about putting away the couch for us in the morning (we chose evening service) and he straight up said no. He was happy to bring extra towels during morning service if needed but putting away the bed was considered a second service.  We slide the bed back to a couch ourselves each morning and folded up the blankets and threw them on top. I’m hoping this has changed since our cruise, it was back in April when the reduction in service was still fairly new and I think different stewards were following different rules.  We had a neighborhood balcony, not sure if the room type makes a difference.  But wanted to let you know that this service may not be a guarantee depending on your steward. 

I would have called the Hotel Director. Royal’s own policy statement says they will perform this service. 

• Like 1

Our adult daughter will join us for an upcoming cruise, and I am downright concerned about this.  Especially because 

- They've just upped the daily gratuity while reducing service -- yes, I'm pretty salty over this; I'd have accepted one or the other, but the combination is just wrong. 

- The steward is receiving gratuity from three people, not just two, so more service should be expected. 

I have never considered removing or reducing tips before, but I am considering removing my tips (now) and paying after I see whether we get sofa-bed service twice a day.  The problem with that is, if I remove /reduce that third person's gratuity, it also affects the people who work in food service.  

51 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I would have called the Hotel Director. Royal’s own policy statement says they will perform this service. 

Can you post the policy statement (or preferably a link)?  This way if someone DOES need to complain about it on the ship, they have something to point to?  Saying "a guy on a message board says Royal will do this" probably won't get very far. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Can you post the policy statement (or preferably a link)?  This way if someone DOES need to complain about it on the ship, they have something to point to?  Saying "a guy on a message board says Royal will do this" probably won't get very far. 

No, I don’t have either. It was part of the announcement when the policy changed. 

I have never had this request denied in 3 cruises since the change. 

1 hour ago, Grankm21 said:

I would have had a discussion with the Head of Housekeeping and if that didn't make it happen, I would have spoken to the Hotel Director.  The newer sofabeds are easier to close but they should have taken care of it.

3 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

No, I don’t have either. It was part of the announcement when the policy changed. 

I have never had this request denied in 3 cruises since the change. 

And PP said they were denied.  Odds are favorable that stewards will perform the service.  But if they don't, having a copy of the policy would be nice to have.  

4 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

And PP said they were denied.  Odds are favorable that stewards will perform the service.  But if they don't, having a copy of the policy would be nice to have.  

https://www.cruisehive.com/royal-caribbean-cuts-back-on-housekeeping-service/95567

not a policy, but a company quote

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Maybe I missed it, but I don't see it in a quote, but a mention from the article.  If I was Royal AND didn't want to do the service, and someone pointed this out to me, the answer would be "the author misinterpreted the information."  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Maybe I missed it, but I don't see it in a quote, but a mention from the article.  If I was Royal AND didn't want to do the service, and someone pointed this out to me, the answer would be "the author misinterpreted the information."  

I suppose the difference between myself and others is, I won't accept no for an answer. As stated earlier, however, I have never been told no, be it the 3rd bed issue, or a second visit to fill the ice bucket, or deliver clean towels.

3 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I suppose the difference between myself and others is, I won't accept no for an answer. As stated earlier, however, I have never been told no, be it the 3rd bed issue, or a second visit to fill the ice bucket, or deliver clean towels.

You know, I've heard people say that ("I won't accept no for an answer.") and picture a toddler saying "I'm going to sit down and hold my breath until I get a 'yes'!".  LOL  

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, FlyGal25 said:

🤷‍♀️

Our experience on Explorer during the summer was they would one come to the room once a day with no exception. We raised the matter with the floor supervisor and they said they were not allowed any exceptions. We chose evening service so the bed was out all day. If we went with morning and they put it away, it was our problem to make it up for bed. 

19 hours ago, Billy Baltic said:

Our experience on Explorer during the summer was they would one come to the room once a day with no exception. We raised the matter with the floor supervisor and they said they were not allowed any exceptions. We chose evening service so the bed was out all day. If we went with morning and they put it away, it was our problem to make it up for bed. 

That is really disappointing to hear. I am not asking for a complete service of room, just service the bed for the evening. 

Sounds like it is a crap shoot, depends upon ship and your room steward. We are simple, don't ask for any extras but I guess having a couch being a couch in the daytime and having it a bed in the evening so too much. 😫

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

That means almost nothing once you step foot on the reality of the ship.

You definitely have a point, but honestly it seems ridiculous staterooms using a couch or pullman have to go an entire cruise having to dismantle or make the bed by the guests themselves. As PP said, they are getting tips for 3 people, not 2. I am not asking for a huge extra. 

If my stateroom attendant refuses, then I will politely go up the chain and use that message as having inquired about it before sailing. It may very well mean nothing, but I put my effort in to find out beforehand. They should honor what was stated. Whether they will or not remains to be seen. 

But yes, I will be very irritated if I have to dismantle the bed every day. I only wish I could be in a suite, but they were already sold out before I booked this trip.

On 10/15/2023 at 6:59 AM, BND said:

Tipping him ahead of time had nothing to do with it.   I've seen several reports of the stewards coming in simply to either take down or make up the bed in addition to regular timed service.  We never hand them a tip at the beginning of a cruise and have never had anything but superior service and requests taken care of quickly.

Same for our recent Oasis sail.  No cabin cleaning or picking up used towels, however he opened/closed the couch as a third bed.  No need to pre-grats, however we did at the end of cruise.

I was solo in cabin, and it was strange as he delivered cleaned and or pressed clothing and left a paper version of the cruise planner, but no replacement of the used towels.