Do you take your passport ?

liz4949

3 hours ago, ldubs said:

I like the concept.  Are you using an App to store these items or is it a feature of your android or iphone mobile?  

I keep them in the Notes app on my iPhone. You can create folders in Notes on your iPhone and in iCloud which are locked. My Covid vaccination records are stored in the Wallet app.  

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Shorex said:

No reason to take a passport ashore in Mexico. I never wear nice jewelry ashore -- jewelry and passports stay locked in the stateroom safe. Pickpockets and thieves target tourists and try as I may, I look like a tourist. Over the two decades of cruising, I've heard plenty of stories about tourists (and cruise passengers are tourists) being ripped off - especially the ones wearing expensive jewelry and watches.

I want to be very careful and deliberate on how I respond to this issue.  Living in Mexico for part of the year, we are cognizant of some of their laws.  Technically (I emphasize technically) the Mexican government requires that all foreigners carry their "Residente" temporary or permanent Visa and other foreigners carry their Passports and Mexican FMM form (given to folks when they enter Mexico through an airport, road, etc).  Since cruisers are not given a FMM (tourist permit), a cruise card would likely satisfy any authority...although one never knows for sure.

In practice, few follow these rules.  In fact, having lived in Mexico for the past 18 winters, we have never carried any document (although they are locked safety in our Condo) when in our Mexican hometown.  When we have traveled within Mexico (I am talking about many hours from home) we do generally carry some documents.

As to jewelry, most of us who live in Mexico seldom to never wear expensive jewelry.  Why tempt fate?  Street crime does exist including the usual pickpockets.  We actually feel safer in Puerto Vallarta (our Mexican home) than in most places of the USA but we never wear (or carry) anything of great value.  Truth is that it is usually easy to pick out cruise passengers because they are often overdressed and wear all kinds of things such as fanny packs.  And then there are the cruisers who like to wear their cruise cards (or Medallions)...which is another way of saying, "I am a cruise passenger and ripe for the picking."    Sometimes I have been mistaken as a cruise ship passenger (in Puerto Vallarta) and the price of things quickly increases :).  When a taxi once tried charging me twice the normal price I quickly told him "I am not on a cruise ship" and we both had a laugh (and the price was immediately halved).

Hank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

I keep them in the Notes app on my iPhone. You can create folders in Notes on your iPhone and in iCloud which are locked. My Covid vaccination records are stored in the Wallet app.  

Total thread drift - sorry! - but can you quickly explain how to create a locked Notes on an iPhone?  I played around with it and couldn't figure out how to do it.  

5 hours ago, ldubs said:

We take the passports ashore when traveling because Mrs Ldubs wants to take them.  If left to me, I probably would do the same.  I don't worry too much about justifying that choice. 

Mrs Ldubs has a traveling wedding ring that replaces the diamond set.  It is nice, but won't be a major loss should it get stolen.   For whatever it is worth, I worry more about injury she might suffer if someone attacked her for her jewelry than I am the loss of the jewelry.     

Thanks for your response. I have a simple wedding band I usually wear with my diamond. I usually only wear that ashore. My husband proposed to me when visiting family in Ecuador. He didn’t put the diamond in the ring until we got home. But even with the cz they told

me not to wear it in public. His nephew joked “you know what they call women who wear rings like that in Ecuador? 9 fingered!”  So yeah, your wife is a smart woman. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, aungrl said:

Total thread drift - sorry! - but can you quickly explain how to create a locked Notes on an iPhone?  I played around with it and couldn't figure out how to do it.  

To be clear it is the individual note that is locked. I keep all the locked notes in a folder. To lock notes on the top right hand corner is a circle with 3 dots. You will have the several options including locking the note. Select lock then you will have the option of using your iPhone passcode to unlock the note or creating a separate password for more security. 

Edited by Charles4515

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

I want to be very careful and deliberate on how I respond to this issue.  Living in Mexico for part of the year, we are cognizant of some of their laws.  Technically (I emphasize technically) the Mexican government requires that all foreigners carry their "Residente" temporary or permanent Visa and other foreigners carry their Passports and Mexican FMM form (given to folks when they enter Mexico through an airport, road, etc).  Since cruisers are not given a FMM (tourist permit), a cruise card would likely satisfy any authority...although one never knows for sure.

In practice, few follow these rules.  In fact, having lived in Mexico for the past 18 winters, we have never carried any document (although they are locked safety in our Condo) when in our Mexican hometown.  When we have traveled within Mexico (I am talking about many hours from home) we do generally carry some documents.

As to jewelry, most of us who live in Mexico seldom to never wear expensive jewelry.  Why tempt fate?  Street crime does exist including the usual pickpockets.  We actually feel safer in Puerto Vallarta (our Mexican home) than in most places of the USA but we never wear (or carry) anything of great value.  Truth is that it is usually easy to pick out cruise passengers because they are often overdressed and wear all kinds of things such as fanny packs.  And then there are the cruisers who like to wear their cruise cards (or Medallions)...which is another way of saying, "I am a cruise passenger and ripe for the picking."    Sometimes I have been mistaken as a cruise ship passenger (in Puerto Vallarta) and the price of things quickly increases :).  When a taxi once tried charging me twice the normal price I quickly told him "I am not on a cruise ship" and we both had a laugh (and the price was immediately halved).

Hank

I love Puerto Vallarta! Had one of the best vacations of my life there. But that was 20 years ago. Has it changed? 
We are also fortunate traveling in Mexico. My husband is Hispanic and Spanish is his first language. And I am dark complected enough that people often think I’m Hispanic as well. ( as long as I keep my mouth shut). It’s amazing how different a response can be when you speak to someone in their language. 

26 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

To be clear it is the individual note that is locked. I keep all the locked notes in a folder. To lock notes on the top right hand corner is a circle with 3 dots. You will have the several options including locking the note. Select lock then you will have the option of using your iPhone passcode to unlock the note or creating a separate password for more security. 

So, I don't have the circle with 3 dots at the top right hand corner.  Maybe my iPhone is too old?  

16 minutes ago, aungrl said:

So, I don't have the circle with 3 dots at the top right hand corner.  Maybe my iPhone is too old?  

The feature is only available in iOS 16 (last years update)  or iOS 17. It also has to be enabled in Notes Settings. 

Edited by Charles4515

27 minutes ago, Szt said:

I love Puerto Vallarta! Had one of the best vacations of my life there. But that was 20 years ago. Has it changed? 
We are also fortunate traveling in Mexico. My husband is Hispanic and Spanish is his first language. And I am dark complected enough that people often think I’m Hispanic as well. ( as long as I keep my mouth shut). It’s amazing how different a response can be when you speak to someone in their language. 

Going a bit off topic. but PV has changed a lot in the past 20 years, and one can debate whether it is for the better.  The southside (Zona Romantica/Old Town) has seen much of the old town character destroyed as the older buildings have gradually been replaced by new high rise condo buildings.  Since we live right in the old town area, we find the changes somewhat sad.  On the other hand, some would argue that new is good.   The Mexican government is slowly completing the new highway that will reduce the travel time to Guadalajara from 5 hours to about 3 1/2.  PV than becomes an easy "go to" weekend destination for the middle class of Guadalajara (and environs) which makes the case to build even more condos.  

We know quite a few folks who have already abandoned PV in favor of smaller (less commercialized) communities up and down the coast.  

Hank

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

The feature is only available in iOS 16 (last years update)  or iOS 17. It also has to be enabled in Notes Settings. 

Okay, I'm on iOS 16.7, so I should be good there.  I'll see if I can find a way to enable this in Settings for Notes.  So far, I've gone through all my choices under "Notes" and all the choices for Notes under the Control Center, and no dice.  But I'll keep looking.  Thanks for the additional detail and assistance here. 

4 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I also keep the vax cards in Apple Wallet.  But, as you know, Apple Wallet won't work for things like passports or driver's licenses.  Putting them in Notes is a great idea. Thanks.  

I leave the passport in the safe but I do carry a digital image, stored in the cloud,  of my passport, my credit card, vaccination cards and my drivers license. You never know if you will be waylaid in a foreign port and might need consulate assistance. We were once stopped and separated from the cruise tour and it was uncertain whether we would be able to catch up with the ship prior to sailing.  You never know what will happen. 

On 10/17/2023 at 2:49 PM, liz4949 said:

Just wondering what is the best thing to do when leaving the ship for a shore excursion.  Should I take my passport or leave it on the ship? 

Hello @liz4949

To me one of the main things not to forget to take with you when leaving the ship in a port of call is the contact information for the cruise line's local Port Agent. The Port Agent is the person or company you contact if for some reason you have some sort of problem in a port and will possibly miss the ship's departure. They help in other situations too.

The Port Agent's name, address and phone will be in the daily paper left in your cabin the day or night before and probably the ship's app on your phone. Or maybe it will be on your cabin's TV. Once you locate the information, take a good picture with your phone or a screenshot if the app. That way you will have the contact information off the ship if you aren't connecting your phone in the port of call. Or just take the page with you that contains the Port Agent's contact information for that port.

Hope this will be helpful!

Happy sails,

Host Kat

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Host Kat said:

Hello @liz4949

To me one of the main things not to forget to take with you when leaving the ship in a port of call is the contact information for the cruise line's local Port Agent. The Port Agent is the person or company you contact if for some reason you have some sort of problem in a port and will possibly miss the ship's departure. They help in other situations too.

The Port Agent's name, address and phone will be in the daily paper left in your cabin the day or night before and probably the ship's app on your phone. Or maybe it will be on your cabin's TV. Once you locate the information, take a good picture with your phone or a screenshot if the app. That way you will have the contact information off the ship if you aren't connecting your phone in the port of call. Or just take the page with you that contains the Port Agent's contact information for that port.

Hope this will be helpful!

Happy sails,

Host Kat

Yes, but other circumstances exist where you may find yourself in need of a consulate and a digital copy of that passport will be needed.  It is about timing and distance.  The port agent can only do so much.   In my complicated case I thankfully had my digital copy. There was recently a case on one of the islands where a woman was in a car accident and hospitalized for days.  She had no passport and could not fly home.  I don’t know if the port agent was called or could have helped. 

On 10/18/2023 at 9:20 AM, Szt said:

Can anyone think of any reason we’d want a passport when we go ashore in Mexico? 
My rule of thumb is: if you can’t bear to loose it, leave it home. If you can’t leave it home, keep it on your body, under clothes or in a safe. If it’s something I have to pull out ( like a cc) it’s in a pouch, around my neck, that hangs under my shirt. It’s easy for me to get to, but impossible to pick. Believe me, as a woman, you are very aware of any hands near your boobs. 
I haven’t been to Mexico in a long time. Would I be safe wearing my wedding ring in Cabo? It has a 1.5 carat diamond. Common sense says leave it home. But I feel weird without it. 

I don't normally wear my very nice wedding ring set on shore, depending a little on destination. I think Cabo would be fine, but no guarantees.   We also don't take our passports unless required, and don't take them ashore in Mexico.  We take DL for photo ID and a copy of our passport first page, just in case.  

On 10/18/2023 at 8:52 PM, ldubs said:

I also keep the vax cards in Apple Wallet.  But, as you know, Apple Wallet won't work for things like passports or driver's licenses.  Putting them in Notes is a great idea. Thanks.  

Just be sure not to lose your phone. 😳

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Szt said:

My Apple Notes and other documents are in iCloud so if I lose my phone I can access them from a computer or tablet but I always take two passport photocopies with me when I travel and carry one on my person. In addition to the digital files it is advisable in my opinion to have a paper copy. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 3

Something I neglected to mention, and I'm surprised that someone didn't remind me of, is that sometimes you don't have a choice of taking your passport with you in port because sometimes the country or countries involved wants a closer look and so instructs the cruise line to hold your passport.  And some cruise lines will hold the passengers' passports for all ports.

I was inspired to post this by a FB post in Carnival Brand Ambassador (fancy name for a cross between a cheerleader and a town crier) John Heald.  He posted some customer complaints about Spain making Carnival take the passports for all its embarking passengers and promising to withhold their lock on them after they leave the last Spanish port on this cruise.  The passengers who Mr. Heald highlighted were understandably upset by this, but Carnival's hands were really tied because this requirement was sprung by Spain at the last minute.

Edited by Honolulu Blue
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Something I neglected to mention, and I'm surprised that someone didn't remind me of, is that sometimes you don't have a choice of taking your passport with you in port because sometimes the country or countries involved wants a closer look and so instructs the cruise line to hold your passport.  And some cruise lines will hold the passengers' passports for all ports.

I was inspired to post this by a FB post in Carnival Brand Ambassador (fancy name for a cross between a cheerleader and a town crier) John Heald.  He posted some customer complaints about Spain making Carnival take the passports for all its embarking passengers and promising to withhold their lock on them after they leave the last Spanish port on this cruise.  The passengers who Mr. Heald highlighted were understandably upset by this, but Carnival's hands were really tied because this requirement was sprung by Spain at the last minute.

It is a common procedure in South America and, by the way, the one which led to my difficulties.

I also want to add to @Charles4515 good advice and add that leaving a copy at home will also help your family and friends aid you if things go awry.  Maybe this is overkill for a 7 day Caribbean cruise but if you venture further and longer it becomes more important 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Szt said:

It is a digital copy of the things.  We also have paper copies of passports  (not credit cards) but don't carry those around with us.  And of course, then there are also the originals.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mary229 said:

It is a common procedure in South America and, by the way, the one which led to my difficulties.

I also want to add to @Charles4515 good advice and add that leaving a copy at home will also help your family and friends aid you if things go awry.  Maybe this is overkill for a 7 day Caribbean cruise but if you venture further and longer it becomes more important 

We always leave a copy of ALL our travel documents including passports. I know it’s morbid, but we also make sure family knows where all our documents (will, insurance, bank info, final wishes, etc) are. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, RonaldL said:

Very seldom is a passport mandatory when leaving the ship at ports of call.  If not mandatory what's the point of taking it?  

Cruising and flying are two separate issues.  For those who simply go to the Caribbean or Canada all is fine until by misfortune you are not able to sail home. If that happens the ship will send your passport to the port agent who will get that passport to you so you can fly home after your emergency passes

for those of us who travel further afield a passport and sometimes a visa is a requirement 

The captain of a UK based ship informed us once not to take passports on shore except when told to do so (in those days ports in Croatia and Egypt required this), but always take with you the passport number and place of issue which would help if anything should happen ashore. He also offered photocopying help if some wanted their main page copying. 

We also take copies of insurance with us.

I securely carry my passport while in any foreign country with the exception of the U.S.A. The photocopy stays in my cabin/room. When I travel my plan is to be self-reliant and having it with me should a situation arise is preferable than having to depend on others to get it to me or having to rush back to the boat or hotel.  

• Like 1