Library Question

mawvkysc

I just got off Eurodam, and they have non-fiction, very eclectic, even a poetry section, and some large travel books and atlases. It's very eclectic, with multiple copies of every book, and murals of books with punned titles, such as nautical puns. There are windows facing over the promenade, chairs, and excellent lighting. Other than the magnificent two-story libraries on Cunard, the new HAL ones are my favorite. It was a delightful surprise to see the return of libaries, and made up for the irritation of seeing the return of the Parkswest art auctions. Unfortunately, entertainment options are even fewer, with no more Lincoln Center classical or Step One dance, replaced by a dull singing quartet that I could only stand for 10 minutes. If they can bring back libraries, then maybe they can bring back production shows, which every other line has.

Why do they have several copies of the same book?

Could be this is how they got sold. Out of the bargain bins perhaps - some of the titles are a bit sketchy and less than current demand authors.  Also offers a chance to form a mini-book club having multiple copies on hand.  Some editor did pass judgement that any book found here was worthy of publication, so there may be surprises to be found.  Skim and be surprised, perhaps?

Willing to see this as a work in progress. In these perilous revenue producing times for HAL.  I think they are off to a fine start, and this will get even better when passengers themselves add more to the take-one, leave one selections. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

Why do they have several copies of the same book?

Because their choice of books are ones that they think will be popular to many readers.  If one person takes the only copy of the current best seller and then keeps it for the entire cruise, no one else would get a chance to read it.  (and people would complain "why doesn't the library have any good books?")

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

On 10/18/2023 at 3:55 PM, Djptcp said:

My husband said the last time we were on the Rotterdam the library was gone. We are sailing on her this Sunday and wonder if anyone lately has seen a library on the Rotterdam again? We will bring our own paperbacks and my Kindle has new books downloaded, so we will be set. Just curious about the Rotterdam.

As a retired Librarian I am happy to see support for our libraries. They are for everyone and free.

The new Rotterdam has an extensive library that my husband and I really enjoyed on our transatlantic this spring. Enjoy! (Also a retired librarian 🙂 )

• Like 2

On 10/20/2023 at 7:08 PM, rj59 said:

If they can bring back libraries, then maybe they can bring back production shows, which every other line has.

Just off the Westerdam (dis-embarked 10/15) and the step one dancers were alive and well on the ship....With three different shows.

(We did not go as we are not interested...but they were there!)

• Thanks 1

On 10/20/2023 at 7:08 PM, rj59 said:

Unfortunately, entertainment options are even fewer,

Again, relating to our recent Westerdam cruise.....

The World Stage was busy every night.....

• an instrumentalist (2 different shows)
  • a comedian (2 different shows)
  • a vocalist (2 different shows)
  • a men's quartet (2 different shows)
  • step one (3 different shows)

The schedule was busy during the day....

• daily presentation on Japan from a professor
  • almost daily EXC talks on a variety of interesting topics (dog sledding in Alaska, etc.)
  • future cruise presentations
  • afternoon movies
  • port talks
  • trivia (many, many times and very, very popular, so it seemed)
  • wine tastings
  • tea
  • towel folding, etc. 
  • coffee chats 
  • City on the Sea presentation about the inner workings of the ship
  • and many more

And the other venues were jumping in the evening

• Billboard Onboard (our favorite, the female singer was from the maiden Rotterdam 7 cruise)
  • Rolling Stones (always a crowd)
  • Ocean Bar band...seemed to be popular w/many folks as we passed going to/from dinner
  • also, Orange Party
  • also, Westerdam Ball featuring the captain and the officers dancing with the passengers and every now and then an officer had a party gift (bottle of champagne, gift cards) for the dancing partner. 

We love the Holland America Line entertainment.....and the library!

• Like 4

On 10/18/2023 at 12:40 AM, crunchii said:

Here is the non-fiction section of the library on Zuiderdam. This photo was taken a couple of months ago in late August.

image.thumb.png.f13063a7529ff7b3c200d898e9f64df2.png

We were on the ship at the  same time.  I remember that both sides of that rack were non fiction.  We found adequate  non fiction for our purposes.

On 10/18/2023 at 5:55 PM, Djptcp said:

My husband said the last time we were on the Rotterdam the library was gone. We are sailing on her this Sunday and wonder if anyone lately has seen a library on the Rotterdam again? We will bring our own paperbacks and my Kindle has new books downloaded, so we will be set. Just curious about the Rotterdam.

As a retired Librarian I am happy to see support for our libraries. They are for everyone and free.

The library was ok but get there early if you want a choice of books.  It was pretty sparse a few days after our cruise started.  obviously a lot of people were making use of it.

On 10/20/2023 at 7:59 AM, Moriah said:

The room is open 24/7, and I have been known to get up very early, get room service coffee which I take to the library at sunrise or even before...

The room was NOT open 24/7 on my cruise (just disembarked).  It opened at 8 am.  I posted some of the daily programs on my LIVE thread and the library open hours for the morning were posted each day.

On 10/20/2023 at 2:50 AM, jljcruise said:

1. My experience is that the libraries on board are well-used.

2. I can and do (rarely) read ebooks. The experience of reading is lessened by using just one more e-thing. I read a lot less if forced to read that way.

3. I love the shipboard libraries and would hate to see the space wasted as one more under-used lounge.

We have been recently on the Zuiderdam and the  Eurodam, both with the new libraries.  Both were well used, admired, and much appreciated.  We are presently on the Oosterdam which, per the staff, is presently "in the process" of installing a library.  I am wondering whether I would have proceeded with this 26-day cruise had I known that the library had not been installed.  We  found that the new libraries  had a very good selection of books and comfortable seating, albeit a lesser number of chairs as were  available in past years.

The OP's question was not whether libraries are desirable.  OP asked whether was one was available.  Why is it necessary to express personal opinions that as to the desirability or necessity of a ship's library?  These opinions are irrelevant to OP's question and add nothing to the thread.

• Like 2

On 10/18/2023 at 4:55 PM, Djptcp said:

As you can see from the other responses that YES there is a Library on the Rotterdam - a very nice one. It does take looking at the ships diagram at the elevators to find.  Must admit it took me 3 times to fine it in March. !st time wrong deck🙄, 2nd time didn't go walk far enough down the passage way 😕, but 3rd time it was a charm 😀!  Selection was great, even had several copies of the latest Patterson book and even though I had a couple of paperback books I had brought from home I spent 21 days reading selections from the library. 

• Like 2

Since this is a “library” thread, I have a related, but different question… hope not to derail.

We were on Zaandam in Aug/Sep (first HAL) and the books in the library were all marked with “check this out at Explorations” before removing from this room.   Is that practice of requiring “checkout” normal for HAL?  Have not seen that requirement/request on any other line we have cruised with.

my husband did find books to keep him happy, and was ecstatic to see that there was a library!  
just thought the checkout requirement was a bit odd…

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, AroundWithMAPTravels said:

Since this is a “library” thread, I have a related, but different question… hope not to derail.

We were on Zaandam in Aug/Sep (first HAL) and the books in the library were all marked with “check this out at Explorations” before removing from this room.   Is that practice of requiring “checkout” normal for HAL?  Have not seen that requirement/request on any other line we have cruised with.

my husband did find books to keep him happy, and was ecstatic to see that there was a library!  
just thought the checkout requirement was a bit odd…

I am guessing here, but I suspect those books were remnants from several years ago when separate libraries were eliminated from the ships and the "library" consisted of one shelf of books located in the Explorations area. We were on the Rotterdam this spring in their (fabulous, separate) library and there was no need to check books in/out. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tregatti said:

I am guessing here, but I suspect those books were remnants from several years ago when separate libraries were eliminated from the ships and the "library" consisted of one shelf of books located in the Explorations area. We were on the Rotterdam this spring in their (fabulous, separate) library and there was no need to check books in/out. 

Thanks.  That was my thought/ hope.

On 10/19/2023 at 3:40 PM, Toofarfromthesea said:

People always complain that ship space is taken up for this or that.  And generally those things are not things that passengers can unilaterally provide for themselves.  Those pictures show that a lot of ship space is taken up by these libraries.  And my personal experience is that the libraries don't get used by a high parcentage of passengers.  So I renew my opinion that it makes no sense for HAL to maintain ship libraries, for a relatively few passengers, that take up significant ship space when everyone has the ability, albeit perhaps not the inclination, to completely provide unlimited books for themselves.  I'd rather they use that space for a lounge.

As to technology, virtually everyone has a smartphone, even if they don't have a tablet or kindle.  And there is a kindle reading app available for any smartphone.  And with scaleable typefaces, even a smartphone provides a very useful and useable reading environment.  And if you judiciously download a number of books you don't need an internet package.  And if the cost of the books is an issue, Project Gutenberg has over 60,000 free downloadable books.

So, I maintain my opinion that it makes no sense for HAL to continue to devote a significant amount of ship space to these outdated libraries.

EXCEPT--maybe the library is quiet for readers. Try to find a spot anywhere on the ship that doesn't have music playing. I tried and couldn't find one on the Nieuw Amsterdam..and they had no library when we cruised this past February. There were a few German language books on one or two shelves but that was it. I remember sailing on the Eurodam years ago that had a very large library area in the front of the ship with beautiful views from the giant windows and the coffee bar right there. It was always filled with people lounging in big comfy armchairs. What a relaxing spot! Yes--it took up real estate but it had people enjoying the space rather than big empty forward lounges with constant music we found in February.

• Like 2

On 10/25/2023 at 11:12 AM, lizinindy said:

EXCEPT--maybe the library is quiet for readers. Try to find a spot anywhere on the ship that doesn't have music playing. I tried and couldn't find one on the Nieuw Amsterdam..and they had no library when we cruised this past February. There were a few German language books on one or two shelves but that was it. I remember sailing on the Eurodam years ago that had a very large library area in the front of the ship with beautiful views from the giant windows and the coffee bar right there. It was always filled with people lounging in big comfy armchairs. What a relaxing spot! Yes--it took up real estate but it had people enjoying the space rather than big empty forward lounges with constant music we found in February.

I agree, a "quiet" lounge with comfy reading chairs, maybe a chess set or other quiet games, jigsaw puzzles, and a bar providing drinks, with maybe some mellow quiet classical music playing in the background would be a place I'd hang out at a lot.  But it can be all that without being a library.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/18/2023 at 5:01 AM, mawvkysc said:

A friend of mine recently published his first book (“The Earth’s Project”).  It’s YA fiction. His publisher said the number one consumers of YA fiction are women in their 40s and 50s. 

Haha, I believe it. I had a book recommended to me and it was very, very good. I then read another couple of books by the same author, and thought hold on! These characters are all so young! I had unwittingly stumbled into YA fiction. 

• Haha 1

On 10/25/2023 at 12:12 PM, lizinindy said:

EXCEPT--maybe the library is quiet for readers. Try to find a spot anywhere on the ship that doesn't have music playing. I tried and couldn't find one on the Nieuw Amsterdam..and they had no library when we cruised this past February.

The new library on Nieuw Amsterdam is thoroughly modern and very well lighted.