Yes, another document/naming question

We booked a family cruise for next year.  After we booked, DD got married and changed her name.  The booking has her maiden name.  Her passport (which still has at least 3-4 years left on it) has her maiden name.  Her DL is her married name.  

Here's what I *THINK* she/we need to do...

1) Change the cruise booking to her married name.

2) For the cruise, bring DL, Passport, and Official Copy of Marriage License

Is that it?  Cruise is in July, so have lots of time to arrange things.

TIA

1 minute ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

We booked a family cruise for next year.  After we booked, DD got married and changed her name.  The booking has her maiden name.  Her passport (which still has at least 3-4 years left on it) has her maiden name.  Her DL is her married name.  

TIA

She could travel just as is with her passport since it matches the booking name.  She doesn't need to show DL.

The key is what does she want her name to be on board - that does matter to many - so if she wants her seapass card to be married name you need to change the cruise booking name and bring passport and marriage license.  I'd also then recommend the DL and BC so you have all bases covered.

• Like 5

I think that since she's a married woman, the decision of what to do should be hers. There is no she/we in the decision-making process. Mom and/or Dad should just step back and worry about other things.

Now, were DD asking this question, I would suggest that she keep everything as is and use her passport for ID. All reservations and bookings are made. Why take the chance of someone screwing something up by putting more fingers into the reservation pie.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, klfrodo said:

I think that since she's a married woman, the decision of what to do should be hers. There is no she/we in the decision-making process. Mom and/or Dad should just step back and worry about other things.

Now, were DD asking this question, I would suggest that she keep everything as is and use her passport for ID. All reservations and bookings are made. Why take the chance of someone screwing something up by putting more fingers into the reservation pie.

Generally I would agree with you.  BUT... 

A) She doesn't have any contact with the TA.  We made all of the arrangements.

B) 99% sure she doesn't even KNOW, and probably wouldn't think about difference in name documents.

As far as the DL... don't you need to present photo ID to get back on the ship after an excursion?  Yes, I know you can bring a passport off the ship, but it's not as easy to carry and not as easy to replace if it gets lost/stolen.

Good point to @ShillyShally about asking what name she wants on board.  Pretty sure she'll want her married name, but will ask. 

28 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

Wow, you always this judgmental?  Let's go with your plan and let the daughter figure it out on her own. Oh wait, she doesn't even realize this is a "thing" until she's trying to embark on the ship.

Parents are just trying to help and get ahead of this before the cruise, and obviously will be in communication with their daughter to decide what she wants to do.  Parents did the booking.

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

TIA

Cruise maiden name

passport maiden name

Done.  Do nothing

• Like 11

40 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Generally I would agree with you.  BUT... 

A) She doesn't have any contact with the TA.  We made all of the arrangements.

B) 99% sure she doesn't even KNOW, and probably wouldn't think about difference in name documents.

As far as the DL... don't you need to present photo ID to get back on the ship after an excursion?  Yes, I know you can bring a passport off the ship, but it's not as easy to carry and not as easy to replace if it gets lost/stolen.

Good point to @ShillyShally about asking what name she wants on board.  Pretty sure she'll want her married name, but will ask. 

First thing you need to do is bring her into the conversation. Explain the situation and ask what she wants to do. This doesn’t mean saying, “Sweetie, I’m sure you want to use your married name on your seapass don’t you.”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

If she got married less than a year ago and changed her name less than a year ago she can submit her passport for a name change at no charge.  That is smart to do regardless since she has a few years left.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/have-passport/change-correct.html

I don't take this question as not letting daughter fly on her own - since she's not doing the planning she may not have thought of names, OR she may assume it's in her married name.  These are the revelations that often happen way too late in the process.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Cruise maiden name

passport maiden name

Done.  Do nothing

Ken,

If his DD does change her last name on the cruise reservation from maiden to married, will she still be considered an original occupant/name on the reservation?  
So, if for some unforeseen reason her husband could not go on the cruise with her, would having changed her last name impact her ability to take a friend or relative in his place?

2 hours ago, ShillyShally said:

If she got married less than a year ago and changed her name less than a year ago she can submit her passport for a name change at no charge.  

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/have-passport/change-correct.html

Not true. It is only free if BOTH passport was issued and name was changed less than one year ago. Otherwise, it is treated like a renewal (with renewal fees).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, paulistano said:

Not true. It is only free if BOTH passport was issued and name was changed less than one year ago. Otherwise, it is treated like a renewal (with renewal fees).

Oops, I didn’t realize they had added that, when I did it it wasn’t a charge but they also only added a note on the back page that stated the name was changed - it confused almost every TSA agent!

27 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

Ken,

If his DD does change her last name on the cruise reservation from maiden to married, will she still be considered an original occupant/name on the reservation?  
So, if for some unforeseen reason her husband could not go on the cruise with her, would having changed her last name impact her ability to take a friend or relative in his place?

I pretty confident that would be allowed as only the last name changed.  First name and birth date remained the same.  Easy to show that it is the same person. 

• Like 1

Wow, lot of judgement on this thread.  Some of you want me (and presumably would yourselves) to do nothing.  Figure DD is an adult (true) and can figure out on her own what she should do.  Of course, if she does nothing, she's mad at me because I booked the cruise in her maiden name and she wants to go by her married name. 

When we booked the cruise, we didn't know what she had decided regarding names.  Her DL is in her married name, so again, what happens when you return to the ship from an excursion and the DL is married name and reservation is maiden name?

My goal with the thread is to find out what the options are, THEN tell DD the options and the ramifications of the options.  Then SHE can decide what she wants to do.  

So, here are the choices I see...

1) Do nothing, leaving reservation in maiden name.  But would that mean she HAS to take her passport off the ship to use as ID to get back on (so the passport name matches the reservation name)?

2) Change reservation name to married name, which matches DL, and bring copy of marriage license to match up with passport?

3) Tell her "Figure it out on your own"?  Which at least gives her a warning there might be an issue.

4) Don't say anything or do anything and hope she figures out the right things to have so she can board the ship.  

Sounds like some of you feel #4 is the right answer.  Personally, I think gathering the information, then presenting it to her and letting HER make an INFORMED decision is the way to go.  If you think that's wrong, feel free to skip the thread. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

1) Do nothing, leaving reservation in maiden name.  But would that mean she HAS to take her passport off the ship to use as ID to get back on (so the passport name matches the reservation name)?

Depending on the port.  Very few ask to see you DL when coming back

3 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Depending on the port.  Very few ask to see you DL when coming back

We only cruise occasionally, I just remember our first cruise having to go back to the room to get my DL before being allowed off the ship.  

Now I ask you... is that a chance you would be willing to take (utilizing photo ID that doesn't match the reservation)?

I know they say to take your ID to get back on the ship. But in all honesty I only recall it happening once. And I don't remember which port. I would probably just make a copy of my marriage license and throw it in my bag of I was concerned that it would be an issue getting into the port.

40 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

2) Change reservation name to married name, which matches DL, and bring copy of marriage license to match up with passport?

3) Tell her "Figure it out on your own"?  Which at least gives her a warning there might be an issue.

4) Don't say anything or do anything and hope she figures out the right things to have so she can board the ship.  

Honestly, seems pretty simple, and you summed it up right after the choices:

46 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Personally, I think gathering the information, then presenting it to her and letting HER make an INFORMED decision is the way to go.  If you think that's wrong, feel free to skip the thread. 

"Hey sweetie, just realized (situation X) is happening.  You can either keep your maiden name on everything and take your passport and it's all good, or if you want to have your married name on your Seapass card (to me that's a meh, but I get it might be important for for newlyweds), then you can go get yourself an updated passport."

If it’s closed loop cruise you don’t need passport . changing name No biggie 

licence,BC and ML  to get on ship first day 

then DL. On off ship. 

bring passport in case of emergency evacuate and need to get back to states by plane 

3 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

Great post.  

I'm a veteran cruiser with experience.  I just helped my grand daughter and soon to be grand son in law book their honeymoon cruise.  I hooked them up with my great TA who got the "group space" pricing.  They would have ended up paying over $500 more had I not.  I explained about passports and name changes and shuttles and pre cruise hotels and baggage fees and the myriad of things that some of us know by second nature because we have travelled extensively. They do not.  They are mature, responsible adults.  They have a home, careers and an education. They just don't have the experience and knowledge in this particular area that I do. Why make them reinvent the wheel.  The OP is just being a good/kind parent

The difference is that you HELPED them do it and gave them lots of good tips. The OP implied he did all the planning and just now realized he hadn’t thought about this earlier.

3 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Wow, lot of judgement on this thread.  Some of you want me (and presumably would yourselves) to do nothing.  Figure DD is an adult (true) and can figure out on her own what she should do.  Of course, if she does nothing, she's mad at me because I booked the cruise in her maiden name and she wants to go by her married name. 

When we booked the cruise, we didn't know what she had decided regarding names.  Her DL is in her married name, so again, what happens when you return to the ship from an excursion and the DL is married name and reservation is maiden name?

My goal with the thread is to find out what the options are, THEN tell DD the options and the ramifications of the options.  Then SHE can decide what she wants to do.  

Sounds like some of you feel #4 is the right answer.  Personally, I think gathering the information, then presenting it to her and letting HER make an INFORMED decision is the way to go.  If you think that's wrong, feel free to skip the thread. 

No one advised you to keep it a secret and hope she figures it out on time. We just told you to let her make the decision about this (and maybe a few other things you just went ahead and planned) You knew what the choices were before posting.

17 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

I would leave the name the same for now, it would help avaoid some possible confusion/delays with all of the paperwork. Carry the passport off the ship. There are sides to this and people are pretty strong in their beliefs to both sides. I never get off the ship without my passport (the original, not a copy). I would not want to be in a foriegn country without it. I protect it from getting stolen the same way I protect my wallet, or my credit card or my camera etc. I have never had anything stolen because I take precautions to prevent it.

I don't want this to turn into another " do I take my passport off the ship" thread. I'm just giving you my opinion on what DD should with the name change.

Edited by cruiseguy1016

Since the mods cleared out a bunch of posts, let's simplify the questions...

A cruisers married name (and name on the reservation) does not match passport name.  Is the only thing required a copy of the marriage license?

If so, does it need to be an "official " copy?

If a DL doesn't match the name on the reservation, AND is used as the ID in port, does it matter?

15 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Since the mods cleared out a bunch of posts, let's simplify the questions...

A cruisers married name (and name on the reservation) does not match passport name.  Is the only thing required a copy of the marriage license?

If so, does it need to be an "official " copy?

If a DL doesn't match the name on the reservation, AND is used as the ID in port, does it matter?

I would recommend having the reservation match either the passport or match the driver's license.  If it matches the passport, then you are all set.  If you match the Driver's license, then you will also need a certified copy of your birth certificate AND a certified copy of the marriage certificate to show any name differences.  If it were me, I would take all of it.  It's better to have it and not need it than wish you had it and watch the ship leave without you.  Photocopies of the certificates are NOT allowed.  They must be certified copies. Hope this helps. 🙂

Edited to say:  I honestly believe while in port and re-boarding the ship, the i.d. won't matter, as long as the picture on the i.d. matches the person presenting it.  That's just my opinion.  I would recommend calling RCCL to verify that.

Edited by smwg
  • Like 1

My vote is change it since she already changed her DL to her married name - then take passport too but also marriage license.  Why?  Because I like looking back at my seapass cards and don't love the ones I took with DH before that still have my ex's name.  Now I realize hers is her maiden name, so she may not care, but if she does, it's worth it.  The fact she changed her DL to married name means she's likely using that now and she'll appreciate being referred to that on board.

• Like 1