Yes, another document/naming question

19 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

But would that mean she HAS to take her passport off the ship to use as ID to get back on (so the passport name matches the reservation name)?

To board the ship you only show your SeaPass card, you don't need to show any other ID. 

At some ports you have to show a photo ID to get to the ship, but not to board the ship. It depends on where your cruise is going. We have been on many Caribbean cruises but have only been asked one time to show an ID other than a SeaPass card to go through the gate to get to the ship, in St Kitts. My wife didn't have hers but they let her through anyway. 

You could leave the passport on the ship and if you happen to be at a port where they will not let her go to the ship without ID you could go back to the ship and get it for her while she waits outside. 

We have a friend who cruises with us and still has her maiden name on her passport, so we book the cruises in her maiden name. One time I accidentally booked her flight using her maiden name as well, so she went through TSA using her passport instead of DL. Luckily she noticed before getting to TSA. 

Make sure you have this straight for your trip, and if the flight is in her married name remind her to bring her DL even if she is cruising with her passport. 

Maiden name will be printed on her SeaPass card, on any welcome letters or invitations left in your cabin, and on cabin attendant's list of passengers in the cabin. This doesn't bother our friend who just sees it as a practical matter, sounds like it's more of an emotional matter for your daughter. Good luck and enjoy your trip!

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I'm going to try this again.  All I'm trying to do is figure out what the options are for DD, present them to her and let her decide what she wants to do.

Royal Reservation: Maiden Name

Passport: Maiden Name

DL: Married Name

Option 1: Keep reservation in Maiden Name

If she chooses this, we don't need to do anything?  Use her passport to check in, use her DL as "in port" ID (yes, I know some say they take their passports with them.  We don't).

Option 2: Change reservation to Married Name

If she chooses this, she needs to EITHER:

A) Get a new passport w/Married name 

B) Bring a copy of her marriage license as a "bridging document" between her Reservation and Passport

This is NOT a "What would you do?"  

This is NOT me telling her what to do.

I refuse to "just let her figure it out for herself".  

This is me making sure my information is correct so I can tell her what her options are.  If I am wrong on the options, please let me know (and what would be correct).

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

That's what she will probably do.  But are A & B the correct "choices" to have Option 2 work?

As long as she brings B - the bridging document she could wait on the name change on her passport. BUT if she has the time and wants to make it smooth overall, she should also do A.

1 hour ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

OK, I'm going to try this again.  All I'm trying to do is figure out what the options are for DD, present them to her and let her decide what she wants to do.

Royal Reservation: Maiden Name

Passport: Maiden Name

DL: Married Name

Option 1: Keep reservation in Maiden Name

If she chooses this, we don't need to do anything?  Use her passport to check in, use her DL as "in port" ID (yes, I know some say they take their passports with them.  We don't).

Option 2: Change reservation to Married Name

If she chooses this, she needs to EITHER:

A) Get a new passport w/Married name 

B) Bring a copy of her marriage license as a "bridging document" between her Reservation and Passport

Both options are correct.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2023 at 7:12 AM, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Generally I would agree with you.  BUT... 

A) She doesn't have any contact with the TA.  We made all of the arrangements.

B) 99% sure she doesn't even KNOW, and probably wouldn't think about difference in name documents.

As far as the DL... don't you need to present photo ID to get back on the ship after an excursion?  Yes, I know you can bring a passport off the ship, but it's not as easy to carry and not as easy to replace if it gets lost/stolen.

Good point to @ShillyShally about asking what name she wants on board.  Pretty sure she'll want her married name, but will ask. 

53 cruises all over.  Never asked for anything but seapass. No issue 

On 10/19/2023 at 9:58 AM, S.A.M.J.R. said:

We booked a family cruise for next year.  After we booked, DD got married and changed her name.  The booking has her maiden name.  Her passport (which still has at least 3-4 years left on it) has her maiden name.  Her DL is her married name.  

Here's what I *THINK* she/we need to do...

1) Change the cruise booking to her married name.

2) For the cruise, bring DL, Passport, and Official Copy of Marriage License

Is that it?  Cruise is in July, so have lots of time to arrange things.

TIA

Use the passport and leave as is.  Unless she’s going to update all docs, then change. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, joeyancho said:

53 cruises all over.  Never asked for anything but seapass. No issue 

95 cruises all over and I have been asked for ID as well as seapass card….Most recently we were asked for photo ID to re-enter port area in Bermuda just weeks ago.  There were passengers digging ID’s out of their beach bags as I sailed by with my ID ready, as I knew Bermuda checked ID.  Each time the Bermuda authorities looked me in the eye and addressed me by name after checking my ID.

Edited by Starry Eyes

The need for secondary documents to re board in a port of call seem to vary by port as has been noted. I think I remember needing id in Grand Cayman as well.  Mexico doesn't care.  As a matter of fact the last time I crossed the border into Mexico at San Ysidro, Mexican authorities didn't even stop our car. As we slowed down the they simply waved us through.

Since there is lots of time between now and the cruise, I'd suggest just making everything current/correct and not having to worry about it.  Just make the legal changes to all forms of identification.  Yes, there is a minor cost to some, like the passport.  But, why worry about it, just do it.  JMHO/YMMV

On 11/2/2023 at 5:03 PM, Starry Eyes said:

95 cruises all over and I have been asked for ID as well as seapass card….Most recently we were asked for photo ID to re-enter port area in Bermuda just weeks ago.  There were passengers digging ID’s out of their beach bags as I sailed by with my ID ready, as I knew Bermuda checked ID.  Each time the Bermuda authorities looked me in the eye and addressed me by name after checking my ID.

That was also our experience in Bermuda.  We take our passport cards off the ship in ports.  The Drivers Licenses  stay in the safe along with the passport books