Nonsensical Dress Code

ggo85

On 11/2/2023 at 6:41 AM, labrasett said:

Sorry but I think this is all ridiculous. People who can afford to travel on Silversea are almost by definition comfortable off financially and with that status goes a certain level of sophistication which would suggest sufficient nous that if travelling on a luxury cruise there will be a dress code and it will be printed somewhere so for goodness sake pack a variety of clothes and make of it what you will at the time.   Its not rocket science folks, you have choices, make them and make a bit of an effort to conform for the sake of your fellow guests if not as a matter of just plain good manners.

You would think but the key here is that the assumption that money equates with sophistication or class just does not hold true anymore.  What does hold true is that you cannot judge a book by it’s cover!

• Like 4

On 11/1/2023 at 6:06 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

So I'm assuming that your meals are ruined in the new trendy restaurants that have dispensed with table cloths, no matter how good the food is?

I wouldn’t say my meals are ruined by the absence of tablecloths but they do add more than just appearance to a dining room.  They really help with acoustics by muffling sound more than hard surfaces do.

• Like 1

I never cease to be amazed by people.   For those who care I am told that last night was a "F" night and the maitre d' handed out ties and jackets!  Long may that continue, this isnt necessarily about a tux but it is about good manners and respect for others.

• Like 6

After reading all 130 posts, this is my understanding of how things work.

On formal nights, if I go to Atlantide or Salt, I need a tie and a jacket. But I don't need a tie in La Terrazza, only jacket. And I don't need tie or jacket in The Grill and Spaccanapoli. But when I finish my meal in The Grill and Spaccanapoli and go back inside, I need to put back my jacket and tie (or only jacket?). La Dame always require jacket (but not tie). I don't eat Asian food, so don't have to remember about Kaiseki (what a relief). Silver Note only jacket (I think).

On informal nights, it's pretty much the same, but I don't need a tie. And can have no jacket But then again, if I eat outside, don't need a jacket, but have to put it back when going back to the bars and the theater. When I reach my table, I can remove the jacket and put it on my chair. But have to wear it back when leaving or going to the washroom. Not sure about Silver Note (only jacket?). La Terrazza doesn't require a jacket (I think).

On casual nights, no jacket anywhere, except for La Dame (this one I'm pretty sure about). But I wouldn't pay $160 on the Nova anyway, so one less to remember..

Could it be any more clear? Did I miss anything?

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

49 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

After reading all 130 posts, this is my understanding of how things work.

On formal nights, if I go to Atlantide or Salt, I need a tie and a jacket. But I don't need a tie in La Terrazza, only jacket. And I don't need tie or jacket in The Grill and Spaccanapoli. But when I finish my meal in The Grill and Spaccanapoli and go back inside, I need to put back my jacket and tie (or only jacket?). La Dame always require jacket (but not tie). I don't eat Asian food, so don't have to remember about Kaiseki (what a relief). Silver Note only jacket (I think).

On informal nights, it's pretty much the same, but I don't need a tie. And can have no jacket But then again, if I eat outside, don't need a jacket, but have to put it back when going back to the bars and the theater. When I reach my table, I can remove the jacket and put it on my chair. But have to wear it back when leaving or going to the washroom. Not sure about Silver Note (only jacket?). La Terrazza doesn't require a jacket (I think).

On casual nights, no jacket anywhere, except for La Dame (this one I'm pretty sure about). But I wouldn't pay $160 on the Nova anyway, so one less to remember..

Could it be any more clear? Did I miss anything?

If you wear a jacket and a tie,you can go anywhere on any evening.

It's that simple.

• Like 7

39 minutes ago, ggo85 said:

^^^^^

Exactly.  Makes it so easy and relaxing to eat dinner and enjoy the evening entertainment, especially after getting back to the ship hot and sweaty after 6 pm. 🙄🙄

As someone already asked ... wouldn't you be showering regardless? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

As I’ve already said, for me at least there is a difference between getting ready for casual and informal.  It means packing a lot of extra clothes and shoes.  It’s also an attitude. As many times as I’ve worn informal and formal in my life (and it’s a lot), I rarely feel relaxed in that dress - and I want to RELAX on vacation.  Not shorts and a T-shirt, but khakis and a polo / female equivalent.  Formal optional is ok 1-2 nights, not most of the cruise.  

I respect the desire of many SS aficionados to dress up every night.  We don’t have that same desire, which is the main reason we have no future cruises booked on SS.  We’ve done 3 and generally enjoyed them.  But the nonsensical application of the dress code on this recent cruise has driven us away.  That may sound crazy to some, but not to us.  Dressing up is important to really enjoying SS, and we don’t enjoy doing it 9 days of a 14-day cruise.  

SS isn’t going to change (for now).  So we move on.  That’s fine with us - there other luxury lines that are equally good. And one less person that the dress code lovers have to deal with.  😀

Edited by ggo85
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ggo85 said:

As I’ve already said, for me at least there is a difference between getting ready for casual and informal.  It means packing a lot of extra clothes and shoes.  It’s also an attitude. As many times as I’ve worn informal and formal in my life (and it’s a lot), I rarely feel relaxed in that dress - and I want to RELAX on vacation.  Not shorts and a T-shirt, but khakis and a polo / female equivalent.  Formal optional is ok 1-2 nights, not most of the cruise.  

I respect the desire of many SS aficionados to dress up every night.  We don’t have that same desire, which is the main reason we have no future cruises booked on SS.  We’ve done 3 and generally enjoyed them.  But the nonsensical application of the dress code on this recent cruise has driven us away.  That may sound crazy to some, but not to us.  Dressing up is important to really enjoying SS, and we don’t enjoy doing it 9 days of a 14-day cruise.  

SS isn’t going to change (for now).  So we move on.  That’s fine with us - there other luxury lines that are equally good. And one less person that the dress code lovers have to deal with.  😀

I absolutely agree with your comments. Our country club casual lifestyle is more appropriate on another luxury cruise line, our reasoning for booking with them. Find it interesting though, to read the differing viewpoints on this SS board. We also travel for more than a couple of months at a time, to pack a complete wardrobe for a few nights takes up bit of space in our suitcase. Maybe one day we will relent and enjoy a SS cruise.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

If you wear a jacket and a tie,you can go anywhere on any evening.

It's that simple

Which is what I do. Easy peasy. I cannot recollect ever going 'casual' on an evening on SS .... even after an eleven hour excursio.n

• Like 1

Jackets are the best way to cover up the advancing tattoo brigade. Saying that, so called intelligent bright individuals have now begun to encroach beyond the neck line and cuffs. Even colourful artistic tattoo’s have been replaced with scribbling like random ink. Not a pretty look in my world.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

The simple truth is that even SS itself started to realized how absurd and archaic the current dress code is and simplified it on the Nova. 

The issue is lack of symmetry. People who want to dress up can still do it even if the dress code was casual every day. The opposite is not true.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

The simple truth is that even SS itself started to realized how absurd and archaic the current dress code is and simplified it on the Nova. 

The issue is lack of symmetry. People who want to dress up can still do it even if the dress code was casual every day. The opposite is not true.

Prepare to be skewered. The loyalist will come for you and the destruction of the ambiance with your logical line of thought

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, tinaincc said:

Prepare to be skewered. The loyalist will come for you and the destruction of the ambiance with your logical line of thought

Yea.. I'm familiar with all the arguments.. "if you remove the dress code, people will start coming to dinner in shorts, t-shirts and flip flops". Guess what? Never seen people in shorts, t-shirts and flip flops or even jeans on Oceania. Country style casual, excellent ambiance. And there are people who still wear jackets and ties, and we live in piece with them and they live in piece with us.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, tinaincc said:

Prepare to be skewered.

Unclear how having a different preference and explaining it should be considered "skewering" someone. 

Choose cruises that fit your style rather than insisting that all cruises allow for your style.  I doubt you would find many of us here opting for an RCG Bliss charter, but because these occur, that doesn't mean that RCG should provide that option for all of their cruises simply because some prefer that style of cruising!

• Like 3

Just now, tinaincc said:

I hope this is a photo of you or someone that you  know and not some photo that was taken by the dress code police.

It was taken by the CDCA -- Cruise Dress Code Authority. They are vigilant, and have a huge warehouse filled with photos of people who break the dress code. On one occasion I inadvertently wore mismatched socks. They threated to keel haul me!

• Haha 1

We board the Nova this Saturday and we love the "New" dress code. I believe that eventually, the new dress code will extend to all the SS ships. The only thing constant is change and the new dress is the future. I find all of these dress code comments very entertaining. As an aside, the people who post on Cruise Critic are less than 1% of the SS customer base so place ALL of the comments either way, with a grain of salt.

• Like 3

I cannot understand how this is such a problem for a traveler. I just returned from the Nova.  Over 20 years of cruising on luxury cruise lines with long sweaty tours and maybe 20-30 minutes before dining ceases, I have learned how to do sink baths, put on clean underclothes, pull on a basic dress or black pants and a knit top and present to the dining room on non-formal nights.   Surely one has those items packed if on a Silversea or ANY CRUISE.  Ask to sit alone if you can't handle the mini-bath or can't be seen without make-up.

Under no circumstances would I grab a pizza!   If you totally resent not being able to wear your shorts and t-shirt, there are other cruise lines which would welcome you.   

• Like 5

2 hours ago, A Tucson Guy said:

We board the Nova this Saturday and we love the "New" dress code. I believe that eventually, the new dress code will extend to all the SS ships. The only thing constant is change and the new dress is the future. I find all of these dress code comments very entertaining. As an aside, the people who post on Cruise Critic are less than 1% of the SS customer base so place ALL of the comments either way, with a grain of salt.

And the fact that they changed it on the Nova is probably a hint that most SS guests do want the change.

24 minutes ago, MsCrystalina said:

I cannot understand how this is such a problem for a traveler. I just returned from the Nova.  Over 20 years of cruising on luxury cruise lines with long sweaty tours and maybe 20-30 minutes before dining ceases, I have learned how to do sink baths, put on clean underclothes, pull on a basic dress or black pants and a knit top and present to the dining room on non-formal nights.   Surely one has those items packed if on a Silversea or ANY CRUISE.  Ask to sit alone if you can't handle the mini-bath or can't be seen without make-up.

Under no circumstances would I grab a pizza!   If you totally resent not being able to wear your shorts and t-shirt, there are other cruise lines which would welcome you.   

So for men the only choices are tuxedo/suit or shorts and t-shirt? Nothing in between?

Pretty amazing that dress code loyalists bring the shorts and t-shirt example every single time. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

Have you thought about investing in another suitcase?

The trend today is travelling with carry on only. Yes, it's possible. One carry on and one personal item per passenger. One less thing to worry about. On our last river cruise, out of 88 guests at least 3-4 couples got their luggage lost. That's 10%.

And when you travel with carry on only, a jacket is a major addition. Why this is so difficult for people to understand??

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

The trend today is travelling with carry on only. Yes, it's possible. One carry on and one personal item per passenger. One less thing to worry about. On our last river cruise, out of 88 guests at least 3-4 couples got their luggage lost. That's 10%.

And when you travel with carry on only, a jacket is a major addition. Why this is so difficult for people to understand??

At least on the Nova, if you didn't bring a jacket, the restaurant usually has one to loan you- problem solved!!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

And the fact that they changed it on the Nova is probably a hint that most SS guests do want the change.

So for men the only choices are tuxedo/suit or shorts and t-shirt? Nothing in between?

Pretty amazing that dress code loyalists bring the shorts and t-shirt example every single time. 

Don’t forget the old faithful argument that resort casual will ruin the ambiance.