Nonsensical Dress Code

ggo85

No such thing as a casual night for us ( we'll maybe my husband) yes I do have a little black ( big ) dress ... Just dress how you feel .. we prefer to dress for dinner, I know it's not everyone choice but we never feel out of place being dressed & we continue to dress how we want to & continue to cruise silversea in which ever way the dress code goes 😂..merry Christmas 🎄.. to all far & wide 

IMG_20231025_194503.jpg

IMG_20231025_194431.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lvshack said:

No such thing as a casual night for us ( we'll maybe my husband) yes I do have a little black ( big ) dress ... Just dress how you feel .. we prefer to dress for dinner, I know it's not everyone choice but we never feel out of place being dressed & we continue to dress how we want to & continue to cruise silversea in which ever way the dress code goes 😂..merry Christmas 🎄.. to all far & wide 

IMG_20231025_194503.jpg

IMG_20231025_194431.jpg

Very nice, tasteful and elegant. And I’m sure you won’t feel out of place. We have seen people dressed like this even on Oceania which is a very casual line, and they didn’t feel out of place.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I wrote a respectful email to Barbara Muckermann asking for clarity about the dress code on the new Silver Ray.  She answered very quickly:

"I confirm to you that Silver Ray will showcase the same dress code as Silver Nova."

Good news!  [for some of us...]  Including the expedition ships that makes 5 out of 12 with a reasonable dress code.  Can the Muse class be far behind???

Reasonable dress code??  That is your opinion. There are plenty who feel otherwise. 

33 minutes ago, applefan75 said:

Reasonable dress code??  That is your opinion. There are plenty who feel otherwise. 

Yes it is my opinion, which I believe I am as entitled to express as you are to disagree.  But the handwriting is on the wall, so you may want to book as many near-term cruises as possible before all the ships adopt this new policy.

PS – I'm also putting my money where my mouth is:  I just booked a 2026 cruise on Silver Ray, ratifying their decision to extend the new dress code to that ship.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, tinaincc said:

Not at all. Focusing on what one can control is the key to happiness in my opinion. Far better than worrying about what other people are wearing.

Never stops to amaze me why some people are so obsessed about what other people are wearing..

• Like 4

4 hours ago, tinaincc said:

Not at all. Focusing on what one can control is the key to happiness in my opinion. Far better than worrying about what other people are wearing.

Seems a bit of a stretch.  I understand what you're trying to say in that first sentence, but truly wonder if you really believe it, or are unintentionally applying it selectively here.

Is there nothing that anyone could do over which you would have no control that would annoy you in a dining room, reducing your "happiness"?  I think we can agree that every one of us has limits, though regarding different things and to different degrees.

What you still don't appear to have ever appreciated in this discussion is that different people have different 'awareness thresholds' for different aspects of the dining experience.  Yours does not include "what other people are wearing".  That's OK.  We understand that's not on your list.  Others do pay more mind to this.  Please allow them that.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, canderson said:

What you still don't appear to have ever appreciated in this discussion is that different people have different 'awareness thresholds' for different aspects of the dining experience.  Yours does not include "what other people are wearing".  That's OK.  We understand that's not on your list.  Others do pay more mind to this.  Please allow them that.

That's all well and good – but then they try to force me to abide by their personal code of conduct.  Shouldn't it be a two-way street?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

That's all well and good – but then they try to force me to abide by their personal code of conduct.  Shouldn't it be a two-way street?

Not if the rules say otherwise, no.  People gravitate to where they like the rules.  It's why people leave some states and move to others.  But please don't expect every state to bend to the will of those with different preferences.  If Silversea decides to leave the Muse class rules the way they are, please don't expect us to apologize because we've lobbied for that to occur.  Your preferences for rules can be found on the vast majority of cruise ships.  Why continue to begrudge the rest of us a refuge - in Muse class, for example?  That would be a legitimate "two-way street".

Edited by canderson
typoz
  • Like 4

I’m on my first ever Silverseas cruise and was quite nervous about the dress code issue. All I can say is there are people who like to “dress up” for dinner and there’s those that don’t. Tonight is formal night on the whisper and I’m eating in  the  Italian restaurant with a blazer and it all seems to work. The staff doesn’t seem to be pushing ties and tuxedos too much, I gather they are just trying to keep the old guard happy, why not? 
I was always a Seabourn guy, still like them, but this little ship needs some work , but is wonderful, and I should have tried them a long time ago.

Congrats Silverseas, you have a convert in your midst. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, canderson said:

Not if the rules say otherwise, no.  People gravitate to where they like the rules.  It's why people leave some states and move to others.  But please don't expect every state to bend to the will of those with different preferences.  If Silversea decides to leave the Muse class rules the way they are, please don't expect us to apologize because we've lobbied for that to occur.  Your preferences for rules can be found on the vast majority of cruise ships.  Why continue to begrudge the rest of us a refuge - in Muse class, for example?  That would be a legitimate "two-way street".

I don't begrudge you anything.  If Silversea decides to keep the Muse class and the older ships as is, you will have a happy home.  And I will probably stay away.  But I'm betting that Silversea will convert the Muse class, at least.  [I have no control over this – and neither, I suspect, do you.  Just giving my impression of what Silversea will do.]

• Like 1

At last…. A dress code bun fight! Whatever next.

Whilst I always believe if codes are in place, you should abide by them or book something else. I was shown something from the site from someone complaining a guest was in La Terazza in shorts for dinner. My first thoughts were Carnival dress code has come to SS, but then it was revealed the person in question arrived without their lost luggage. I guess it’s all about context.Hardly his fault and I suspect some would have made him most uncomfortable.

RCL bought a successful CL. Genuinely feels to me like they are hell bent on ruining a winning formula but the dress code is the tip of the iceberg it’s minor in the scheme of things. Outside of a bargain deal, my Dawn sailing in 2 weeks will be my last SS cruise. It says a lot that when I ask myself what I will miss the most, my answer is free laundry. That really isn’t enough to keep the loyalty.  It’s been fun and thanks for all the fish.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, canderson said:

I gravitate to the ships on this line, Nova and Ray, that have the dress code that I can live with.

No one is begrudging anyone for their preferences that I can see except for the formal loyalists that are upset with those “optional”/more relaxed codes.

2 hours ago, tinaincc said:

I gravitate to the ships on this line, Nova and Ray, that have the dress code that I can live with.

No one is begrudging anyone for their preferences that I can see except for the formal loyalists that are upset with those “optional”/more relaxed codes.

If that were true, we wouldn't be seeing the many complaints about the current dress code that some find too strict.  Your 'gravitation' is the right approach, but still hold out hope that SS leaves "the former loyalists" (not accurate in our case, as we just completed our first SS cruise) somewhere to gravitate to.  In my attempts to book future cruises, I certainly don't find that SS is having any trouble with bookings on Muse class ships .. at least not for the cabin/itinerary combos I've been trying to find, even at the substantially higher prices vs 2023.

13 minutes ago, canderson said:

If that were true, we wouldn't be seeing the many complaints about the current dress code that some find too strict.  Your 'gravitation' is the right approach, but still hold out hope that SS leaves "the former loyalists" (not accurate in our case, as we just completed our first SS cruise) somewhere to gravitate to.  In my attempts to book future cruises, I certainly don't find that SS is having any trouble with bookings on Muse class ships .. at least not for the cabin/itinerary combos I've been trying to find, even at the substantially higher prices vs 2023.

I see this as a good thing! You can find space in the more formal ships and I can find space on the ships that don’t require a tie. Win win!!

33 minutes ago, tinaincc said:

I see this as a good thing! You can find space in the more formal ships and I can find space on the ships that don’t require a tie. Win win!!

Agree, but as noted, we still see complaints about an overly strict dress code, so win-win for you and me isn't making everyone happy enough.  Since certain SS ships serve some specific itineraries each season, this will always be an issue for some.

14 minutes ago, A Tucson Guy said:

Rumor mill- I just saw on another website that all the classic ships will change the dress code in 2024 to the current Nova dress code.

Can't believe this conversation is still going on ... 😂.. oh way do people get so tied up in what yi wear for dinner on a cruise ... As I said before what ever the dress code will be my husband and I will continue to dress 👗 for dinner and would rather be over dressed then under anytime..but that's just us... Sending you all  best wishes for a merry Christmas and happy new year.. I'm going to have a stem cell transplant in mid January so pjs will be my dress code for several months but I can do casual 😉..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, A Tucson Guy said:

Rumor mill- I just saw on another website that all the classic ships will change the dress code in 2024 to the current Nova dress code.

By Jan. 29?  [the start of my cruise on Whisper]  That would be too much to hope for...

• Like 2

Merry Christmas to you and your husband @Lvshack &  Happy New Year to all.

Welcome to Silversea @westmount , I'm glad you are enjoying your first cruise on our prefrerred CL, and BTW I've found my experience the same as yours regarding dress code.  My mom (now departed) always said gray pants, nice shirt, and a navy sport coat will work anywhere.

4 hours ago, Lvshack said:

Can't believe this conversation is still going on ... 😂.. oh way do people get so tied up in what yi wear for dinner on a cruise ... As I said before what ever the dress code will be my husband and I will continue to dress 👗 for dinner and would rather be over dressed then under anytime..but that's just us... Sending you all  best wishes for a merry Christmas and happy new year.. I'm going to have a stem cell transplant in mid January so pjs will be my dress code for several months but I can do casual 😉..

All the very best for your stem cell transplant. May it be successful so you can do many more cruises.

• Like 1

Agreed.  But just as perspective, I watched "An Affair to Remember" last night (1957).  The first half of the movie takes place on a cruise ship.  Cary Grant, Deborah Kerr - yes, I know, times have changed.  But how beautifully dressed passengers were, and the way standards were adhered to and not whined about.  I think that is why some of us are still fixated on the fantasy.  And I think something has been lost.  The cruise experience, after all, continues to be a fantasy.  That's what they are selling in their brochures and their advertising.  OK, got it. I will do my thing onboard and be just fine with others.

• Like 5