Selbourne ‘Live’ from Ventura

Selbourne

23 minutes ago, Bin man said:

Yes I changed my blood pressure tablets to the ones your supposed not to ear grapefruit .Trouble is I love grapefruit segments while onboard .What affect dies it give I have no idea must ask the doctor or does anybody know the answer need to know breakfast 12 hrs away 

I did a search and found this on the NHS website:

"Having large amounts of grapefruit or grapefruit juice can increase the concentration of amlodipine in your body and make side effects worse. If you are affected, you may have to avoid eating grapefruit or drinking grapefruit juice while taking amlodipine.

Tell your doctor if you have any increased side effects, such as feeling dizzy, flushing or getting headaches, after eating grapefruit or drinking grapefruit juice.

Otherwise, you can eat and drink normally while taking amlodipine."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TigerB said:

Interesting information, thanks. We dock in Lanzarote for the first time next February. It will be on a Saturday for us though.

At least, on the way back home we will have an overnight stay in Lisbon.

I would much prefer an extra Canary isle port than 2 days in Lisbon, or 2 days anywhere for that matter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jh1809 said:

I did a search and found this on the NHS website:

"Having large amounts of grapefruit or grapefruit juice can increase the concentration of amlodipine in your body and make side effects worse. If you are affected, you may have to avoid eating grapefruit or drinking grapefruit juice while taking amlodipine.

Tell your doctor if you have any increased side effects, such as feeling dizzy, flushing or getting headaches, after eating grapefruit or drinking grapefruit juice.

Otherwise, you can eat and drink normally while taking amlodipine."

Now that's interesting, I might  have to try some grapefruit juice to see if I have any adverse symptoms, if not I can go back to enjoying it occasionally.

• Like 1

Taken directly from the leaflet enclosed in the Amlodipine pack:

"Grapefruit juice and grapefruit should not be consumed by people who are taking Amlodipine. This is because grapefruit and grapefruit juice can lead to an increase in the blood levels of the active substance amlodipine, which can cause an unpredictable increase in the blood pressure lowering effect of Amlodipine."

I think the problem is the unpredictability. Some people may be fine, some people may be affected. And some people may seem fine and then it suddenly builds up and affects them.

Presumably the doseage you are on also makes a difference.

(Although there is already a long list of possible side effects, so if they are not affecting you, it may be that the occasional grapefruit won't either. Or it may.)

Edited by nosapphire

51 minutes ago, nosapphire said:

Taken directly from the leaflet enclosed in the Amlodipine pack:

"Grapefruit juice and grapefruit should not be consumed by people who are taking Amlodipine. This is because grapefruit and grapefruit juice can lead to an increase in the blood levels of the active substance amlodipine, which can cause an unpredictable increase in the blood pressure lowering effect of Amlodipine."

I think the problem is the unpredictability. Some people may be fine, some people may be affected. And some people may seem fine and then it suddenly builds up and affects them.

Presumably the doseage you are on also makes a difference.

(Although there is already a long list of possible side effects, so if they are not affecting you, it may be that the occasional grapefruit won't either. Or it may.)

Thanks for this info, since I have been on amlodipine for over 30 yrs with no ill effects and not missing the lack of grapefruit, then maybe I should stick to avoiding it, and hope to become a grapefruitless centenarian one day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

On 11/3/2023 at 11:01 AM, jh1809 said:

Agreed. Having the same menu on all ships may maker for an easier life for P&O but fails to take into account that different ships attract a very different type of passenger. I'd hazard a wild guess that upwards of one-third of the passengers on Arvia and Iona might be vegetarian or vegan but more like 10% on Aurora and Arcadia. Yes, even on the latter ships you need a least one main course to cater to them, but three seems overdoing it.

I very much doubt if the percentage of veggies or vegans will be in excess of 33% no matter what ship. If we consider cruise ship pax to be a fairly accurate cross section of the population, the percentage of UK adults who follow such diets is 4.5% (official figure from the Vegetarian Society). Three courses out of 6 or 7 mains is way over the top and carnivores are getting a raw deal.

By the way, how can you tell if someone is a vegan? Don't worry they will soon let you know...

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

On 11/4/2023 at 11:32 AM, Selbourne said:

I don’t doubt that it’s cheaper as that would undoubtedly have been the motivator for the change. Where it falls down (other than food waste) is that I have seen waiters move uncovered pots table to table - presumably if they think the previous occupants didn’t use them. Problem is those occupants may have still coughed etc over them. We’ve also notice a few flies in the dining rooms that must enjoy this approach also 😂 

It’s a minor issue though. Come to think of it, I might take some of the leftover conserves to try to lubricate the creaking joints in our cabin. I got the idea from one of the maintenance guys. We couldn’t loosen the shower head adjuster. He couldn’t either - even with grips. His solution? Smear the pole with shower gel 😂 

We had a creaking cabin on Aurora many years ago. It was resolved by an engineer spraying WD40 in multiple places where the furnishings (e.g. wardrobes etc.) met the ceiling. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Red Ray said:

I very much doubt if the percentage of veggies or vegans will be in excess of 33% no matter what ship. If we consider cruise ship pax to be a fairly accurate cross section of the population, the percentage of UK adults who follow such diets is 4.5% (official figure from the Vegetarian Society). Three courses out of 6 or 7 mains is way over the top and carnivores are getting a raw deal.

By the way, how can you tell if someone is a vegan? Don't worry they will soon let you know...

I'm happy to eat vegetarian a couple of nights a week, but , from what I've seen, the menus seem a bit 'listless'.  I love a vegetable curry, but haven't seen that on the menus so far.

I think I'd always be able to find something that I'd like to eat from the current menus, but often the choices don't seem particularly inspiring. 

• Like 3

The amount of vegetarians (or people who at least like vegetarian food) in UK is clearly increasing very rapidly

We attended a charity event at our local village hall on Sunday morning.

A local lady had made 60 lamb samosas, 60 chicken samosas and 60 vegetable samosas to sell for the charity. 

Within the first 30 minutes she had sold out of the vegetable ones but still had over half of both the others still left.

So there's my non scientific survey results.

I bought 6 each of the chicken and lamb but couldn't buy any for my wife who doesn't eat meat!! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I'm happy to eat vegetarian a couple of nights a week, but , from what I've seen, the menus seem a bit 'listless'.  I love a vegetable curry, but haven't seen that on the menus so far.

I think I'd always be able to find something that I'd like to eat from the current menus, but often the choices don't seem particularly inspiring. 

I had a few nice veg curries on Aurora recently. If it tastes nice then veg is fine, but a plant that has been bashed together to look like bacon or steak doesn't do it for me. I much preferred the veggie choices on Ambassador to P&O.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, yorkshirephil said:

I had a few nice veg curries on Aurora recently. If it tastes nice then veg is fine, but a plant that has been bashed together to look like bacon or steak doesn't do it for me. I much preferred the veggie choices on Ambassador to P&O.

Yes, if I'm eating vegetarian, I want actual vegetables, not something that looks like bacon or a steak. If I want that, I'll have bacon or a steak ! 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

The amount of vegetarians (or people who at least like vegetarian food) in UK is clearly increasing very rapidly

A local lady had made 60 lamb samosas, 60 chicken samosas and 60 vegetable samosas to sell for the charity. 

Within the first 30 minutes she had sold out of the vegetable ones but still had over half of both the others still left.

I bought 6 each of the chicken and lamb but couldn't buy any for my wife who doesn't eat meat!! 

The vegetable samosas would be my first choice 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

My wife is Pescatarian. Eats fish. Doesn't eat meat. 

Absolutely hates plant food pretending to be meat.

For her it's the taste and texture of meat she doesn't like. Not the principle of eating it.

So trying to make plants taste like meat doesn't work for her. She just likes great vegetarian meals 

• Like 3

Just now, Interestedcruisefan said:

I think these are the types of food that are very palatable as a veggie option especially when nicely spiced, when travelling to India or having Indian friends there are not that many meat choices, I would never expect an Indian friend to make a meal with meat to please me.

• Like 3

I've just googled and apparently in UK approaching 10 per cent of population can now be classed as semi vegetarian. 

Whatever that means!! Lol

Maybe it means they are happy to have vegetarian meals without meat once or twice a week?

Just guessing though

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

2 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

I've just googled and apparently in UK approaching 10 per cent of population can now be classed as semi vegetarian. 

Flexitarian is the new buzzword, which is probably me, If I make soup, stew, curry, chilli etc then veg is first choice, pizza too if I make it but if bought in then meat. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Maybe it means they are happy to have vegetarian meals without meat once or twice a week?

Just guessing though

How can you be 'semi vegetarian'?? Is that like being a little bit pregnant?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

That's probably because vegetable samosas are by far the most popular in the UK,  and in fact many supermarkets only offer vegetable samosas in their Indian selection. And of course most supermarket Indian main ready meals are meat or fish based, so it's not as if buyers are being deprived of their meat.

2 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Just guessing though

I am one of the 10%.  My wife is vegetarian and has been for most of her life.  At home I will eat a vegetarian meal rather than bother to make a meat meal just for myself.  However if my sons are home then the meat comes out to play.

And to be fair I much prefer vegemince than real mince, it doesnt have that greasy taste to it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Red Ray said:

How can you be 'semi vegetarian'?? Is that like being a little bit pregnant?

People (not me) will declare they are semi vegetarian to indicate they are cutting down on the consumption of meat with the end goal of going totally vegetarian.

Im married to a vegetarian and have always admired her determination to never eat meat. 

I often declare that im going vegetarian only to fall at the first hurdle when I smell bacon being cooked on the market. 😀

• Like 10

5 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Just guessing though

Reminds me of The Royle Family episode when Antony brings his vegetarian girlfriend home for the first time and Nana thinks that wafer thin ham would be ok. 

• Haha 6