Selbourne ‘Live’ from Ventura

Selbourne

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

Update - Captain has just made another all cabins announcement. He said that he was sea sick himself last night, so what hope do us mere mortals have 😂 He says that we are in the peak of it now and it will remain this bad for another 6 hours before it starts to subside, but very gradually. Have to say it seems to be getting even worse. We are really rolling now. The glasses went over in one lurch and a champagne flute has smashed 😱 

I hope that the wine glasses and champagne flute were all empty at the time.

4 minutes ago, jh1809 said:

I hope that the wine glasses and champagne flute were all empty at the time.

Yes, unused, but our steward tells us he’s had lots of spilled coffee and tea to clear up. Poor chap. His job is challenging enough!

• Like 7

15 hours ago, Selbourne said:

In all honesty I can’t recall whether the yellow tubs are plastic or ceramic 😂 . It’s the smearing of the preserves up the sides of the tubs that puts me off. Whilst I dislike the buffet, I noticed that the tubs of preserves there looked far better and didn’t have the same look of having been around the houses as they do in the MDR 😂 

Perfectly understandable. Perhaps, due to the rough seas, the poor chap needed to hold them in place with his thumbs.

• Haha 3

Just now, Selbourne said:

@Megabear2 was it you who wanted to know how many total covers there are in the two MDRs on Arvia? Well it’s 1,700. 

You can see why there are so many roasts on the menu. They must be among the easiest dishes to prepare in a timely fashion for huge numbers of people. (As well as being very popular, if not with everyone.)

2 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

That was a better menu.  Still don't know what a pithivier is??!!

A pithivier (English: /pɪtɪˈvjeɪ/;[1] French: pithiviers, IPA: [pitivje] ⓘ) is a round, enclosed pie usually made by baking two disks of puff pastry, with a filling stuffed in between. It has the appearance of a hump and is traditionally decorated with spiral lines drawn from the top outwards with the point of a knife, and scalloping on the edge. It is named after the French town of Pithiviers, where the dish is commonly assumed to originate.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good to read that you got your refund sorted......eventually.  Shouldn't need three visits to reception for something like that.

Also good to read that Glasshouse serve a proper cheeseboard.  Used to be my go to dessert (apart from raspberry or ginger sorbet)  in the MDR in the days before the plated stuff.  We've never done Glasshouse before, just keep talking about it.  So might give it a go next month when we're on Ventura.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, jh1809 said:

You can see why there are so many roasts on the menu. They must be among the easiest dishes to prepare in a timely fashion for huge numbers of people. (As well as being very popular, if not with everyone.)

Carveries seem to be doing very well ashore.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

A pithivier (English: /pɪtɪˈvjeɪ/;[1] French: pithiviers, IPA: [pitivje] ⓘ) is a round, enclosed pie usually made by baking two disks of puff pastry, with a filling stuffed in between. It has the appearance of a hump and is traditionally decorated with spiral lines drawn from the top outwards with the point of a knife, and scalloping on the edge. It is named after the French town of Pithiviers, where the dish is commonly assumed to originate.

Had a few of those during our many visits to France, both savoury and sweet, one favourite being the the Almond & Raspberry Pithivier. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, pete14 said:

Not quite so positive about the orange jelly masquerading as marmalade though. A nice dark thick cut one like Frank Cooper’s Oxford or even that that Mrs Pete makes would be much better. 

Maybe a better idea Pete, would be to take your own. Frank has  always eaten a ginger and orange marmalde on his toast. I take an unopened jar onboard with with us and take it down  to breakfast each morning.

Avril

Noon announcement - we have 50 miles per hour winds with 70 miles per hour gusts and high swells. Conditions continue to be (quote) “Dynamic”.

Thankfully we both continue to feel fine, and will do everything in moderation. These are definitely not the conditions to get pithiviered 🤪

• Haha 23

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

Noon announcement - we have 50 miles per hour winds with 70 miles per hour gusts and high swells. Conditions continue to be (quote) “Dynamic”.

Thankfully we both continue to feel fine, and will do everything in moderation. These are definitely not the conditions to get pithiviered 🤪

Well could have been worse

You could have been on Saga Discovery last week!!

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZGe1LuR1o/

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

That was a better menu.  Still don't know what a pithivier is??!!

You should have watched bake off last week.  It was one of the things that they had to make.  On second thoughts you shouldn't, if I had never had one I would have been put of by some of their's. 😂

I have had pithivier many times in France.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

You should have watched bake off last week.  It was one of the things that they had to make.  On second thoughts you shouldn't, if I had never had one I would have been put of by some of their's. 😂

I have had pithivier many times in France.

Sounds like you have visited a French loo!!  Ha ha.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

I realize of course that I could have looked the word pithivier up, but quite honestly, not too many folk know what it is so why put the stupid word on a menu.

Not surprised at the wind, it was blowing a hoolie last night.

Perhaps folk will now look up " hoolie".I thought it was a Gaelic folk dance.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

I realize of course that I could have looked the word pithivier up, but quite honestly, not too many folk know what it is so why put the stupid word on a menu.

I found on our last Ventura cruise that I had to google some of the potato side dishes as they were not ones I was familiar with.  Slightly less awkward than having to ask the waiting staff.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

6pm. Still rough but definitely starting to ease. One last photo before I lose my final 24 hour internet. Room service (food only) menu (not that we’ve used it)

Thanks. Looks good, a seafood basket and fries on our balcony in Jan on Azura for lunch looks good.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Not surprised at the wind, it was blowing a hoolie last night.

Hoolie , there's a word I use to hear as a kid, , thanks Jean for refreshing my childhood 😃