Is it worth waiting for HAL Black Friday???

Kelownabccan

I'd say the answer somewhat depends on how well current itineraries are selling. If I was a gambler, I might bet that there will be some good prices on Caribbean itineraries for the 2023-24 season, at a minimum. Possibly early-season Alaska.

I am also wondering if sales in Europe are slow due to current unrest in the world (the conflict in the Middle East is spurring a lot of protests and continuing polarization of attitudes towards both Jews and also US citizens). The current expensive airfares are not helping at all. If that's the case, there may be additional promotions similar to the extra $$ for airfare for European itineraries.

HAL seems very invested in northern Europe for the next couple of years. I wish there were some more "interesting" Med itineraries....

• Like 2

HAL will have Black Friday promos, but HAL has a history of raising prices for its promotions.  You end up paying more for the promotions.

We all have different needs when booking and I echo @Mary229 comment also - I always book fully refundable fares unless I am sailing very close to final payment.  Fully refundable fares allow me the opportunity to take advantage of any new promotions, as even promotions limited to new bookings only I can simply cancel the booked cruise and rebook a new cruise to take advantage of the promotion.

I would wait.....

I'm tracking two cruises and in the past, I've found Black Friday and February/March of 'wave season' to be lower cost times to book....but of course, past performance does not guarantee future performance.

When I compare costs, I stick to a per day cruise fare......and do not consider HIA.....so if HAL/TA is offering OBC or free gratuities, I subtract the $$$ value of those items to find my "cost per day" for comparison.  You could do the same with other perks so you can compare apples to apples. 

Good luck.

4 hours ago, cbr663 said:

HAL will have Black Friday promos, but HAL has a history of raising prices for its promotions.  You end up paying more for the promotions.

We all have different needs when booking and I echo @Mary229 comment also - I always book fully refundable fares unless I am sailing very close to final payment.  Fully refundable fares allow me the opportunity to take advantage of any new promotions, as even promotions limited to new bookings only I can simply cancel the booked cruise and rebook a new cruise to take advantage of the promotion.

You are more like me....book and then if lower phone....

• Like 2

HAL (and all of the other cruise lines) play lots of games when it comes to their "sales".  As others have mentioned they tend to not just add a special perk to the exact same offer but rather change other things (like take away OBC offers and then add free gratuities that offset the value - sometimes the sale price lands up costing more).  It's a full-time job to compare all of the offers from the various travel agencies and cruise lines and always seems maddening that right after you book they add something else to sweeten the deal.  You just have to accept the fact that under the dynamic pricing models they use you can't be guaranteed to get the best deal and be happy with what you got.  Often times you have to pay up to get the cruise you want or the cabin you want that had you waited you could have gotten for less but there's always a chance you get shut out or land up in a terrible cabin.  Is it worth saving $5-10 a day to be miserable in the grand scheme of things? 

On another note - has anyone else noticed that practically any time you book a cruise on HAL and look at the HIA price compared to the base fare it is almost always more than $50/Day/Person more to book it that way?  And it varies depending of the category of cabin you choose.  It's almost always a better deal to just book the base fare and add HIA if you want it but for people who don't do the math they will almost always overpay by booking them together at the same time.  Also, I have learned there are almost always lower loyalty or group rates available than those which are published but you have to ask specifically what special unpublished rates there are when you call to book.  Many group rates are exclusive to a particular TA but some are available to anyone from any TA who asks for it. 

• Like 4

Just one data point, but for me last year Black Friday (extended well into cyber Monday) was a good call.  I’d be tracking a potential cruise and priced it out, but was sort of still looking elsewhere. Then when the email for Black Friday sale came, I saw they’d sweetened the HIA package inclusions to be similar to the early booking ones (this trip was no longer in the early category) by adding free gratuities and premium drinks/wifi. 

again, not a guarantee for any future action and I didn’t test that with other trips, but for me it was fortuitous!

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Real NHDOC said:

HAL (and all of the other cruise lines) play lots of games when it comes to their "sales".  As others have mentioned they tend to not just add a special perk to the exact same offer but rather change other things (like take away OBC offers and then add free gratuities that offset the value - sometimes the sale price lands up costing more).  It's a full-time job to compare all of the offers from the various travel agencies and cruise lines and always seems maddening that right after you book they add something else to sweeten the deal.  You just have to accept the fact that under the dynamic pricing models they use you can't be guaranteed to get the best deal and be happy with what you got.  Often times you have to pay up to get the cruise you want or the cabin you want that had you waited you could have gotten for less but there's always a chance you get shut out or land up in a terrible cabin.  Is it worth saving $5-10 a day to be miserable in the grand scheme of things? 

On another note - has anyone else noticed that practically any time you book a cruise on HAL and look at the HIA price compared to the base fare it is almost always more than $50/Day/Person more to book it that way?  And it varies depending of the category of cabin you choose.  It's almost always a better deal to just book the base fare and add HIA if you want it but for people who don't do the math they will almost always overpay by booking them together at the same time.  Also, I have learned there are almost always lower loyalty or group rates available than those which are published but you have to ask specifically what special unpublished rates there are when you call to book.  Many group rates are exclusive to a particular TA but some are available to anyone from any TA who asks for it. 

great post.....I get lots of email....screaming special rates just for you....lol......but have never phoned and asked the Hal lady to check rates for me.....will try some time....I bet it depends on who you get also to go and spend the time to look....

BLACK FRIDAY details: 

November 7, 2023 10:46 AM EST
Holland America Line's Black Friday Sale Features Prepaid Crew Appreciation and Up to 30% Off Cruise Fares

Guests can plan ahead and book their 2023-2025 cruises with this limited-time offer.

SEATTLE, Nov. 7, 2023 /PRNewswire/ -- Cruisers can get an early start shopping for the holiday season with Holland America Line's Black Friday Sale that runs from Nov. 17 to Dec. 1, 2023. Guests who book select cruises through 2025 will receive prepaid stateroom crew appreciation, resulting in an added value of up to nearly $700 per person depending on the length of sailing. Black Friday promotional sailings also feature discounts of up to 30% off cruise-only fares.

Guests can plan ahead and book their 2023-2025 cruises with this limited-time offer.

Guests who want to add even more value to their cruise can combine the Black Friday offer with Holland America Line's popular Have It All premium cruise package. Have it All perks include shore excursions, a beverage package, specialty dining and Wi-Fi.

"Black Friday is synonymous with the best holiday season deals, and Holland America Line's Black Friday Sale is no exception," said Beth Bodensteiner, chief commercial officer for Holland America Line. "With included crew appreciation and reduced cruise fares, guests can take advantage of significant savings. And by adding our Have it All Package, guests can further enhance the value of their dream cruise vacation."

Prepaid crew appreciation applies to the first and second guests in a stateroom. Travelers can take advantage of the Black Friday Sale on more than 800 departures, from December 2023 through select 2025 cruises. Value of gratuities ranges from $112 for a seven-day cruise to $688 for a 43-day sailing, per person.

Reduced cruise fares of up to 30% off are available on a variety of worldwide itineraries spanning Alaska, the Caribbean, Europe, Asia, Australia/New Zealand, South America and Antarctica. The reduced fare also applies to the cruise portion of an Alaska Cruisetour, combining an Alaska cruise with an overland tour to Denali and the Yukon.

Guests who book the Have It All premium fare receive even more amenities included in their booking:

• Depending on the cruise length, guests can enjoy up to three shore excursions valued at $100 each. A wide selection of tours worldwide are available, ranging from active adventures and immersive culinary experiences to historical explorations and cultural discoveries.
  • With the Signature Beverage Package, guests can savor a wide range of wine, beer, spirits, cocktails, soda, coffee and more, with bar service charges included.
  • Depending on the ship and cruise duration, guests can indulge in Holland America Line's award-winning specialty dining for up to three nights. Pinnacle Grill offers the ultimate steakhouse experience at sea, while Tamarind showcases the traditions of Southeast Asia, China and Japan. Canaletto serves authentic Italian cuisine.
  • A Wi-Fi Surf Package keeps travelers connected while away from home. With Holland America Line'smost popular package, guests can access their favorite websites, including email, news, sports and more.

The Black Friday Sale excludes Grand Voyages and itineraries less than five days. Visit www.hollandamerica.com for full terms and conditions.

Edited by boze9999
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 7

13 hours ago, Real NHDOC said:

On another note - has anyone else noticed that practically any time you book a cruise on HAL and look at the HIA price compared to the base fare it is almost always more than $50/Day/Person more to book it that way?  

Keep in mind to make an accurate comparison of fares that the Base Fare is Non-Refundable and the HIA fare is refundable.....big difference for me.  That is probably why your comparison is more than $50/day.  If you compare the HIA fare to the refundable "Advantage Fare" (I think that's what it's called) then you get a difference of $50/day or less.  The negative is that the Advantage Fare isn't listed on the website, you have to ask your TA or HAL consultant what that fare is.

~Nancy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, oakridger said:

The negative is that the Advantage Fare isn't listed on the website, you have to ask your TA or HAL consultant what that fare is.

You can find the Advantage Fare if you go through some of the links from the travel agencies that are promoted on Cruise Critic. It may take a while to find one, but they are out there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/7/2023 at 3:05 PM, Kelownabccan said:

great post.....I get lots of email....screaming special rates just for you....lol......but have never phoned and asked the Hal lady to check rates for me.....will try some time....I bet it depends on who you get also to go and spend the time to look....

If the email is a "private sale" the rates will be lower for you. No need to call anyone  - just look up one of the cruises w/o logging in then look at it again after you log in. When you get far enough in to select cabin type, you will see the prices change.

• Like 2