3 questions questions, Customer Service chat cannot answer

659fcs

Have been trying to get answers from Princess for about 2 hours now, keep getting cut off ,or the site crashes, so apologize for posting here, but leaving on Sunday. So far I have dealt with four chat reps and then get timed out and lose them.  I am incredibly frustrated.  1) What time do I board? The reps keep telling me it's in the email....the email says to use the Medallion apo...mine doesn't work at all, the online version crashes, or logs me out about every three minutes, can't find it in time.   2) The email tells me to go to "x"  and get a boarding pass... there is nothing in what I see to even find a boarding pass.... isn't that the whole purpose of the Medallion? (which I now have, though useless apparently), and 3) I have rather limited luggage and would prefer to not use a porter... twice on cruises my luggage didn't turn up until midnight once, not until morning the next day on another.  I was sent to my Cruise Personalizer by one rep.... it flashed on the screen and them crashed...cannot get back in.  I think I have made a huge mistake by taking this cruise if Princess is this hard to deal with. Sorry for the rant, any suggestions?

3 minutes ago, 659fcs said:

Have been trying to get answers from Princess for about 2 hours now, keep getting cut off ,or the site crashes, so apologize for posting here, but leaving on Sunday. So far I have dealt with four chat reps and then get timed out and lose them.  I am incredibly frustrated.  1) What time do I board? The reps keep telling me it's in the email....the email says to use the Medallion apo...mine doesn't work at all, the online version crashes, or logs me out about every three minutes, can't find it in time.   2) The email tells me to go to "x"  and get a boarding pass... there is nothing in what I see to even find a boarding pass.... isn't that the whole purpose of the Medallion? (which I now have, though useless apparently), and 3) I have rather limited luggage and would prefer to not use a porter... twice on cruises my luggage didn't turn up until midnight once, not until morning the next day on another.  I was sent to my Cruise Personalizer by one rep.... it flashed on the screen and them crashed...cannot get back in.  I think I have made a huge mistake by taking this cruise if Princess is this hard to deal with. Sorry for the rant, any suggestions?

boarding is usually 11-230 , there are no longer boarding passes, luggage can be hand carried on by you if you so choose. 

• Like 3

If it makes you feel better you could always print out your travel summary from your online booking.  It clearly shows everything you need to know about your booking.  You can use this to show anyone at the pier in lieu of a boarding pass.  You probably have it already on your phone, but I always print it out just in case of, well, something. lol

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, 659fcs said:

Sorry you’re having such issues.

If you can get on the website and see your travel summary, it will show just above your itinerary the boarding time starts…..

Usually says 1230pm but, if from the US, they usually start boarding about 1100 to 1130.

So go at a time convenient for you.  We go early about 930 or 10 and board by 11 or so.

If you have a roll call for your cruise, reach out to them to see what the travel summary says, if you can’t get it up.  
Good luck to you!

• Like 1

Regarding your luggage, yes, as mentioned you can wheel it on yourself. Also at disembarkation, you will be given the choice to take your own luggage off. We prefer this as once a suitcase was damaged leaving the ship and there's no one there to talk to about it, with connections to make.

• Like 1

We try to show up at the pier around 10:30 AM to 11:00 AM. Boarding, provided there are no delays and you are going out from a port without other specific boarding times, will begin sometime around that time frame.  
If you have already received your medallion and have filled out all your necessary documentation, either online or in the app, you will check in under the green lane.  Otherwise, go to the blue lane.  Oftentimes, they are the same length so don’t worry if you have the blue lane.  
You can carry on any luggage you choose that fits through the scanner.  We’ve recently lost several wheels on different pieces of our luggage when checked, both on airlines and when checked with the porter, so we just travel light and carry our own luggage on now.  
Don’t worry about a boarding pass .. you can always print out your travel summary or take screen shots of it if your device allows you to do so.  
What you will really need is your passport (or whatever alternative documentation that is allowed for your sailing).  Also, as noted, take your medallion if you have it.  
Sometimes, the chat line or the regular customer service line is decent but sometimes, it can be very frustrating.  
I cam assure you, the cruise will be much more fun that what you are experiencing!  

• Like 2

Thanks everyone so much... it's been maybe ten years since I took a number of Princess cruises...things were much simpler then......board, eat, sleep, get spoiled, sleep again .......

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 659fcs said:

Thanks everyone so much... it's been maybe ten years since I took a number of Princess cruises...things were much simpler then......board, eat, sleep, get spoiled, sleep again .......

I think you will find it is much simpler now.  We recently cruised on another line and I couldn’t believe how much I really missed having the medallion and the app.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, EatonDoolittle said:

OP is not going to agree with you, based on his/her post,  but I sure do. 

I was the same way when I first downloaded the app back in 2021.  I deleted it and had to reload it.  Since then, I’ve been on nearly 30 cruises using it and I really love it.  Hopefully, it will stop acting up for the OP once onboard.  

3 hours ago, 659fcs said:

You can still do it like that old school, it just won't be as quick to board and others who do the online check in, app etc will have much quicker and easier experience. even HAL has the app and when you get to port, just scan barcode and it'll do facial recognition and i walk onboard 

think of how long check in , luggage etc was back in the day for air travel having to lineup for an agent, have them stick luggage tag etc..  nowadays, i just walk in, goto kiosk and print out luggage tags and drop off bag. much less waiting around . same with immigration, they just scan my face ,

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 659fcs said:

You’ve been very good and accurate information so far. I saw you mentioned it’s been awhile since you last sailed Princess so I’ll add a few tidbits. 

It’s been reported that those with phones that aren’t iPhones have more issues with Princess ap. But if you have an iPhone it really “should” work beautifully.  If you know how to check for updates to the ap then do that. If not, then deleting the ap and downloading it again will accomplish the same thing. 

To board the ship you really could show up with your passport (and any other documents required like visas) and they would take care of everything at the pier. So while it’s nice to have a travel summary (it really does give great detail about what is included in your fare), medallion (btw this does not activate until you are checked in onboard), luggage tags, and all, if you don’t have these things you will still board. I hope that helps you relax about getting things to work. 

Once on board, go to the Ocean Now desk and ask for help with the ap.  If you go right when you board it should not be crowded. They will help you get on the ship’s intranet and fix any settings on your phone that are interfering with the ap.  That ap and the medallion really are “all that”. @CruiseRaideris correct that, at least for iPhones, the bugs have been worked out and it is just a great user experience you can chat with crew, watch the muster drill, arrange dining, order food & drinks to wherever you are (even your cabin), look at the deck plans and my favorite Find my shipmate!  I love the locator function.  I can see where my friends are & in what venues and join them (or not). 

• Like 2

I've never used the app and never had a second of frustration. I get my medallion at the pier, I prefer to spend my $10  mailing fee on other things. Show up at the pier anytime in the morning and be aware boarding starts around 11 AM. I always hand carry/wheel my own luggage, even my full sized suitcase fits through the scanner. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/8/2023 at 12:39 PM, mtnesterz said:

Regarding your luggage, yes, as mentioned you can wheel it on yourself. Also at disembarkation, you will be given the choice to take your own luggage off. We prefer this as once a suitcase was damaged leaving the ship and there's no one there to talk to about it, with connections to make.

Just be sure that the suitcase will fit through the scanner. Generally, if it flies, it will fit.