Water bottles in buffet

sandancer

I know this has been discussed before but I feel so strongly about it, I just have to vent. Why do people ignore the request to not refill personal water bottles from the dispensers in the buffet. On our recent cruise one woman was doing this and I pointed out the notice to her and she just shrugged and said “everyone else does it”. There were at least 4 staff members stood watching this exchange including the head waiter. None of them attempted to back me up. There were a lot of coughs and colds around and this woman put the spout of her bottle right up the the dispenser. Selfish person!

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, sandancer said:

Why do people ignore the request to not refill personal water bottles from the dispensers in the buffet.

Ignorance, selfishness are two words that come to mind

Oh I forgot - "I am on my holidays and I will do what I want"!

Edited by david63
  • Like 4

So why is it ok to feel a bottle from the dispensers around Arvia and Iona but not from the buffet?

This isn’t a health issue, this is about keeping the queue at the drinks dispenser in the buffet moving. It takes so much longer to fill a bottle.

Two further points: a) it’s easily possible to fill your bottle without touching the dispenser nozzle.

b) Even if the inside of the bottle neck does touch the outside of the nozzle, the likelihood of transferring anything is practically nil. Passenger lips come into contact with outside of bottle neck. Outside of nozzle touches inside of bottle neck. Other passengers who use plastic glasses let the water run through inside of nozzle, and free fall into glass, not touching nozzle.

Not my rules! Not all companies have this rule either!

• Like 1

It is about the health issue in the buffet. On a recent Princess cruise I complained twice about this as not only were people filling their water bottles they were filling flasks and insulated mugs with the coffee.

As regards the bottle filling stations around Iona and Arvia apparently if you sit your bottles correctly in the space provided at the bottom the bottle itself won't reach the spout but the water will go in the bottle. ( Hope that made sense ) .

Also people know that others have filled bottles there so it's up to them if they used it. In the buffet the assumption is that the water stations are all clean and free from contamination. 

• Like 1

I agree with Moley, it is very unlikely that any germs would be left on the water spout even if it did touch the bottle neck.

Probably because of covid and noro there is a heightened concern about the petri dish theory of cruise ships and infections. That is not to say that general hygiene standards should not be publicised, and passenger reminded about regular handwashing. But these issues do seem to create a hysteria about the risk of germs which is out of all proportion.

• Like 1

On 11/9/2023 at 12:01 PM, July morning said:

I filled a small bottle in the buffet when quiet using a glass

And that is the correct way 👍

Cunard have signage to this affect in the vicinity of the water dispensers. 

P&O need to get their act together on this subject .

• Like 1

On 11/9/2023 at 11:06 AM, terrierjohn said:

I agree with Moley, it is very unlikely that any germs would be left on the water spout even if it did touch the bottle neck.

Probably because of covid and noro there is a heightened concern about the petri dish theory of cruise ships and infections. That is not to say that general hygiene standards should not be publicised, and passenger reminded about regular handwashing. But these issues do seem to create a hysteria about the risk of germs which is out of all proportion.

I agree too.  People are over the top about germs.  In this case, as you say, hardly likely to pass on any infection and not a cough or cold, more likely noro.

5 hours ago, Bell Boy said:

And that is the correct way 👍

Cunard have signage to this affect in the vicinity of the water dispensers. 

P&O need to get their act together on this subject .

P&O also have the same notices. It’s just that people ignore them. 

• Like 1

The biggest danger when people fill their bottles with a glass is the puddle they leave on the floor. The dispensers need to be able to dispense to bottles without touching surfaces, or put out paper cups that can be squeezed to form a spout, like Cunard do.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BertieRulesOK said:

I think the real problem here is P&O not providing sufficient bottle refil points, especially on the older ships.  Can't blame people for wanting filtered water.  The stuff out the bathroom taps doesn't taste the best.

All the water on board is filtered either after desalination or when it is pumped on board from the port facilities, and I don't believe that any of the water dispensers in the buffet do anything other than chill the water.

• Like 5

All our fears were heightened after lock down, rightly or wrongly, so all the comments of 'not likely' to pass on infection does not appease a lot of people... 

It's quite simple though, if the rules say 'dont', it should be enforced, whatever the reasoning. 

Andy 

• Like 6

15 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

I agree too.  People are over the top about germs.  In this case, as you say, hardly likely to pass on any infection and not a cough or cold, more likely noro.

Well I don't think any of us want to get norovirus , so again people shouldn't fill their own bottles from the water dispensers in the buffet. Or indeed refill their used water glasses . Surely it's a no brainer especially as it clearly says you are not allowed to 

Just editing this to add a post from other social media. Surely this is the reason not to fill bottles up from water dispensers and to wash hands properly:-

"Civitavetcchia - today 11th November
Sadly all passengers being told to be off the ship by 10:00 and not allowed back on board until 16:00 to allow a deep clean due to rising numbers of norovirus."
Edited by amajaa
  • Like 2

Worst experience of this was  on disembarkation day a woman was challenged by crew and other guests for doing this. Her response was her daughter had was ill and had been for all of the cruise and it was the cruise lines fault ! and she WAS going to fill her water bottles up regardless. I quickly decided I no longer wanted a drink and went elsewhere as she proceeded to carry on arguing and filling her two used plastic water bottles. Selfish or what? 

• Like 2

On 11/9/2023 at 10:43 AM, molecrochip said:

So why is it ok to feel a bottle from the dispensers around Arvia and Iona but not from the buffet?

This isn’t a health issue, this is about keeping the queue at the drinks dispenser in the buffet moving. It takes so much longer to fill a bottle.

Two further points: a) it’s easily possible to fill your bottle without touching the dispenser nozzle.

b) Even if the inside of the bottle neck does touch the outside of the nozzle, the likelihood of transferring anything is practically nil. Passenger lips come into contact with outside of bottle neck. Outside of nozzle touches inside of bottle neck. Other passengers who use plastic glasses let the water run through inside of nozzle, and free fall into glass, not touching nozzle.

Not my rules! Not all companies have this rule either!

Always listened to everything you always say and info you give but I cannot believe what you are saying. It is a filthy habit to fill water bottles in buffet restaurant when signs clearly day not to. The water dispensers around Arvia and Iona are totally different because no need for bottle to touch any nozzle or tap. Certainly wouldn't want to use a water dispenser in buffet where invariably most, if not all, put the nozzle/tap into the bottle. The passing of germs is inevitable and certainly wouldn't use one when somebody has filled it after having slobbered all around their water bottle. The non action of P&O staff doesn't surprise me as anything for a quiet and easy life and sorry to say P&O are on a very slippery road downwards.

• Like 3