Crew to Passenger Ratio / Cutbacks Impacting Service?

Cap_D

With all the talk of cutbacks, one area that has not received as much chatter is the impact on shipboard service.  This video at about 5:26 includes a mention of a trip report posted to FB that provides some first hand info conveyed to a passenger by a manager about crew cutbacks impacting service, morale, and retention.  

https://youtu.be/446d01Ozv5Q?si=ugfh8Vq2E-mFPQPq

Edited by Cap_D
  • Like 1

We are currently on the Edge and the cutbacks are noticeable in some area.

Examples

Guest Services that normally would have 3 or 4 people at the desk  most often has 2.

Bar managers who used to be very visible now are most often seen helping restocking the bar or making drinks.

Fewer sommeliers in the dining rooms and waiters are trying to serve food and keep wine glasses full.

I see cabin attendants working from 8 -near 3 daily and back before 6.

Service isn’t horrible but it isn’t what it was and staff are stretched to the max.

We are in the Retreat, but have ate 4 N in the  MDR and specialties as well as Luminae so experienced everything except the OV at night.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

With respect to the last part, all that video does is report second hand info from someone in that group who always seems to have issues with things. 

Agree with @jelayne that service isnt horrible but there are fewer staff around and those that are working are maxing out. 

Edited by dcbiker97
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I haven’t followed Celebrity social media groups in years but even I recognize the name of the person the YouTuber is quoting. They always have a big dramatic story unfolding with juicy insider info that often seemed made up. Now the YT’er makes more money from the clickbait. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, paulh84 said:

I haven’t followed Celebrity social media groups in years but even I recognize the name of the person the YouTuber is quoting. They always have a big dramatic story unfolding with juicy insider info that often seemed made up. Now the YT’er makes more money from the clickbait. 

Thank you. Was not aware of the "drama" backstory.  

Cutbacks on staffing are not surprising to me, and track everything else that has been reported.  It's the impact that would be a concern, and so I do appreciate the info being shared. I'm approaching a final payment date for a Spring cruise.  The first hand accounts are invaluable.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jelayne said:

Examples

Guest Services that normally would have 3 or 4 people at the desk  most often has 2.

Bar managers who used to be very visible now are most often seen helping restocking the bar or making drinks.

Fewer sommeliers in the dining rooms and waiters are trying to serve food and keep wine glasses full.

Service isn’t horrible but it isn’t what it was and staff are stretched to the max.

We are in the Retreat, but have ate 4 N in the  MDR and specialties as well as Luminae so experienced everything except the OV at night.

We were scheduled to be there with you, but had to cancel.......

Are you in an SS experiencing the "new" butler situation?

mac_tlc 

50 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

mac_tlc 

Yes.  The head butler has had our  standing order for juice for DH delivered on sea days at 10am.  Kudos to Ben!  I thought from other reports that would not happen.   That is the only semblance of having a butler we have experienced.  We saw the Head Butler on day 1 and not since. 

This is a cruise with having to turn in passports get them back and turn them in again, and most likely again 1 or 2 more times. Previously the butler did that now we have to be sure to turn/pick up in the assigned window.  Can we do it yes, but that isn’t the service we paid for, NO

Had 3 friends in for pre dinner drinks last evening, really no way to get cheese & crackers, some shrimp or whatever.  None are on the room service menu and anything you order spontaneous from RS takes 45 mins + for delivery,  if they acknowledge they can do it.  DH went to the Retreat Lounge and one of the servers got some cheeses for him but no crackers.

Our Retreat Host (ess) is excellent but there is only so much she can do.  She can’t access our pre cruise purchases which were screwed up, and that is the person who we were told was our primary and 1st contact. She had to call someone who told her there was no record of our purchases.  So 2 days later we go to the 1 of the Concierge who can access more info and within 6 hours it is fixed.  Why is our contact not allowed access to a computer to resolve our problem🙃
 It is not what we have experienced in the past and not what we paid for. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

46 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Yes.  The head butler has had our  standing order for juice for DH delivered on sea days at 10am.  Kudos to Ben!  I thought from other reports that would not happen.   That is the only semblance of having a butler we have experienced.  We saw the Head Butler on day 1 and not since. 

This is a cruise with having to turn in passports get them back and turn them in again, and most likely again 1 or 2 more times. Previously the butler did that now we have to be sure to turn/pick up in the assigned window.  Can we do it yes, but that isn’t the service we paid for, NO

Had 3 friends in for pre dinner drinks last evening, really no way to get cheese & crackers, some shrimp or whatever.  None are on the room service menu and anything you order spontaneous from RS takes 45 mins + for delivery,  if they acknowledge they can do it.  DH went to the Retreat Lounge and one of the servers got some cheeses for him but no crackers.

Our Retreat Host (ess) is excellent but there is only so much she can do.  She can’t access our pre cruise purchases which were screwed up, and that is the person who we were told was our primary and 1st contact. She had to call someone who told her there was no record of our purchases.  So 2 days later we go to the 1 of the Concierge who can access more info and within 6 hours it is fixed.  Why is our contact not allowed access to a computer to resolve our problem🙃
 It is not what we have experienced in the past and not what we paid for. 

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Certainly sounds like a downgraded experience. Too bad. They had a great product. Coupled with the elimination of grats and OBC, we would only consider it if we got a great deal. We have a good deal held on Xcel but still a little reluctant to put that deposit down - especially since that is now all at risk. 

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc

9 hours ago, jelayne said:

Examples

Are you on deck 12 on the Edge?

If so, might you be in one of the Iconic suites?

Looking to book 12101 (the port side IC) for an Australian cruise.

Is there a hallway straight to the elevators or is there instead a direct hallway door into Luminae?

Can't deduce if there is a hallway or door into Luminae straight out that stateroom door.

TY.

11 hours ago, jelayne said:

Examples

I have no idea of the passengers numbers on your cruise but at a Q and A on Silhouette the Hotel Director explained the situation as follows:

1) every ship is fully staffed.

2) the crew are on contracts of upto 8 months (with visas linked to that specific contract) and there is no way the crew can be changed as passenger numbers vary. For example three successive cruises on Silhouette had passenger loads of 1800/800/2800. 

3) when numbers were low X was giving staff including waiters and cabin stewards whole days off which is something that is unheard of in the cruise industry. 

I am a very positive person and generally ignore negative comments.  However, I used to think that postings about about poor/lack of service/crew cutbacks was linked to cabin category.  Now I am not so certain.  I think it's folks' expectations and post covid, a larger number of folks are more criticall/negative.  ("The Age of Rage")  I have not experienced  "cutbacks in service ' a.k.a. slow service any different post covid  to pre-covid.   It occurred both before and after.  Maybe expectations changed after covid?  Mine did not.   And realistically, the same sometime slow/poor service has been experienced in shoreside restaurants.  Life is about choices, and if unhappy, try something else:  another cruise line or land based vacation.  Life really is too short to be negatively focused.

• Like 3

We were on Beyond in October and service ok. Not great but ok. In June on Silhouette wasn’t good. I was subsequently told that there were a lot of staff isolating so I’m sure that has an impact still on certain sailings. 

As for our cruise in October in a SS?
well let’s just say it’s not as good as it was on our Apex cruise last year. And not what we paid for.

My survey reflected that.

Whether I write to HO I’m not sure. Have one more cruise booked with X in an SV, as just not paying those suite prices, for not great service. Cruise next October is Regent for first time. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SusieAV8R said:

I am a very positive person and generally ignore negative comments.  However, I used to think that postings about about poor/lack of service/crew cutbacks was linked to cabin category.  Now I am not so certain.  I think it's folks' expectations and post covid, a larger number of folks are more criticall/negative.  ("The Age of Rage")  I have not experienced  "cutbacks in service ' a.k.a. slow service any different post covid  to pre-covid.   It occurred both before and after.  Maybe expectations changed after covid?  Mine did not.   And realistically, the same sometime slow/poor service has been experienced in shoreside restaurants.  Life is about choices, and if unhappy, try something else:  another cruise line or land based vacation.  Life really is too short to be negatively focused.

But wouldn't you agree that if you pay at least $7 to 9000 for an experience, you may be a little unhappy if you are not getting the experience that is outlined in the brochure?  I agree that people can be overly negative on here but the information they share is valuable to me when making a decision.  I just saved myself thousands by watching a video about the very sky suite cabin I had reserved on the Reflection and reading folks recent SS experiences.  I like Celebrity.  I think their food and staff are the best.  But based on what I am reading and viewing (and yes, I do weed through some that wouldn't bother me personally), I opted for a veranda GTY and moved my cruise.  Insides and OV with an occasional Veranda will be our go to moving forward on Celebrity because they are affordable.  I thank those who share all opinions.  If all the posts were positive about the SS and you book one and then find out wait where's this and that?, wouldn't you be a little unhappy?  Especially having spent thousands on a cruise?

• Like 13

11 hours ago, deliver42 said:

hcat, that's your choice. No problem, but someone had asked, and I answered

I understand..but have no way to judge this persons perspective .

We are not on f b so usually cannot access its content.

And we only "watch"  u tube for music and kids content. So not familiar with that person.

.  If it helps people decide then it has  some value

Edited by hcat

On 11/11/2023 at 10:48 AM, mac_tlc said:

mac_tlc 

We boarded the Edge on October 30 and will be onboard for three legs. We are in the same aft Sky Suite for all three legs.  

My perception mirrors that of jeylane.  We have met the head butler several times. Our retreat host is excellent but does not seem to have the authority to do much —such as exchanging the cheap bubbly in the stateroom found on embarkation day for a bottle of red.  It was exchanged but took several days.  And when we return to the stateroom the room stewards are generally still working on their assigned staterooms after 2:30 PM.  All feels very impersonal, and this Zenith member of the loyalty club is not overly impressed and has discussed the situation with one of the powers to be. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

22 hours ago, buncosquad said:

…….

Is there a hallway straight to the elevators or is there instead a direct hallway door into Luminae?

Can't deduce if there is a hallway or door into Luminae straight out that stateroom door.

TY.

While we have dined more times in specialty dining  than in Luminae.  I am not aware of any hallway or entrance into Luminae other than the main entrance.  Luminae does have its own restroom, which I have not used, but I haven’t noted any one walking out of that restroom hall way who did not just walk into it a few minutes before.

24 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

We boarded the Edge on October 30 and will be onboard for three legs. We are in the same aft Sky Suite for all three legs.  

My perception mirrors that of jeylane.  We have met the head butler several times. Our retreat host is excellent but does not seem to have the authority to do much —such as exchanging the cheap bubbly in the stateroom found on embarkation day for a bottle of red.  It was exchanged but took several days.  And when we return to the stateroom the room stewards are generally still working on their assigned staterooms after 2:30 PM.  All feels very impersonal, and this Zenith member of the loyalty club is not overly impressed and has discussed the situation with one of the powers to be. 

Thank you for sharing your experience. We will have ours in January on Ascent and Feb on Beyond. We will relay our experience through the survey and other means whether it is good or bad. It’s all we can do. If there is enough negative feedback maybe things will change. 

mac_tlc

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

While we have dined more times in specialty dining  than in Luminae.  I am not aware of any hallway or entrance into Luminae other than the main entrance.  Luminae does have its own restroom, which I have not used, but I haven’t noted any one walking out of that restroom hall way who did not just walk into it a few minutes before.

we were in Luminae on BEYOND.

The restrooms are off to the side within the  restaurant..close to kitchen entrance.  Beware the auto doors! 

I was trapped inside for several.minutes,   hit by the doors trying to escape.. It was a very unpleasant experience.    After I got out  maitre d  was just " ho hum..sorry".

could not locate another restrm nearby

maybe  at tme gym ???

3 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

Are you prepared to reveal the response from the "powers to be"?