Lost Passport

groundloop

10 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

when Carnival says passports must be valid for 6 months from the end of the cruise, is that just a CYA statement as it's not really true for 90% of Carnivals sailings?

Please read the page again - it only requires a passport valid for 6 months for two very specific instances.

21 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Please read the page again - it only requires a passport valid for 6 months for two very specific instances.

That makes sense. Unless a specific country visited on the cruise requires that 6 month rule, there is no reason for it. As long as your passport is still valid, you can use it as id to fly and to reenter the USA.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Your Ohio DL (on it's own) would allow you to board a cruise ship to Alaska (or any other cruise that stops in a foreign country).

Just caught my mistake (I was rushing typing, my answer) The Ohlo Real ID DL would NOT be enough to get you on a closed loop cruise.  You would still need your US gov't issued birth certificate.  

Apologies for the typo - I try to be better than that!  ;  )

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Just caught my mistake (I was rushing typing, my answer) The Ohlo Real ID DL would NOT be enough to get you on a closed loop cruise.  You would still need your US gov't issued birth certificate.  

Apologies for the typo - I try to be better than that!  ;  )

You can "report" your own post and ask an Admin to fix it, so that it doesn't confuse future readers of this thread.

25 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

You can "report" your own post and ask an Admin to fix it, so that it doesn't confuse future readers of this thread.

Yeah, picture the embarrassment out in Seattle when some pax says 'I read some lady named Ferry on Cruise critic PROMISE that my DL was enough!' 🫣

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

good idea. I hope @Ferry_Watcher sees it and follows through. There are many regulars who know what her job is and would take her advice and might not realize it was a mistake.

3 hours ago, mz-s said:

Exactly why people just need to get this information directly from Carnival's own website...it takes effort on their part but it really is best.

Sometimes the nuance can get lost and CC can be a help. You may recall that we face the potential for a 'Passport renewal' cruise early next year.  I think it was @Ferry_Watcherherself who told me my wife's ORIGINAL Consular Report (born on an Army base in Germany) would be required and that a copy wasn't good enough. I'm not 100% sure I would have picked that up, even via a careful reading.

We cruise with our kids in just over a week using our existing Passports for the last time. I've got the renewal paperwork all teed up (including pics) for the nanosecond we get home. I'm hoping this isn't our last renewal if you know what I mean.

50 minutes ago, Indiansbaseball said:

Thanks all for the lesson on wording on my drivers license. I just meant it wasn’t the basic Ohio license. I had to provide either a passport or lots of paperwork to get the new license.  As you can see, I use a passport to travel. 

And that extra paperwork leads people to believe that they have an EDL. Many folks miss their cruise because of it, so we try to keep the record straight. (And knowing what works in addition to a passport can be helpful. I've read of a few cruisers whose passport went missing, sometimes even en route to the port.)

Edited by sparks1093

5 hours ago, mz-s said:

Exactly why people just need to get this information directly from Carnival's own website...it takes effort on their part but it really is best.

But the website has gaps that can be filled in and clarified. The discussion about REAL ID licenses and EDLs is a case in point. People who rely just on the website can and do think they have an EDL when all they have is a REAL ID compliant document. Verifying something like this on multiple sites can be helpful.

2 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

But the website has gaps that can be filled in and clarified. The discussion about REAL ID licenses and EDLs is a case in point. People who rely just on the website can and do think they have an EDL when all they have is a REAL ID compliant document. Verifying something like this on multiple sites can be helpful.

Carnival's website discusses the difference between Enhanced and REAL ID driver's licenses.

16 hours ago, mz-s said:

Gotcha I didn't read down far enough.

I thought they did away with this? see below in orange

Except where it is a mandatory requirement, Carnival highly recommends that all guests travel with a passport.  The passport must be valid for at least six months after the last day of the cruise. This will enhance the debarkation experience as delays may be expected upon return to the United States for those without one. Additionally, this will enable guests to fly from the United States to meet their ship at a foreign port should they miss their scheduled port of embarkation and allow guests who must disembark the ship before their cruise ends, due to an emergency, to fly back to the United States without significant delays and complications.

U.S. Domestic Cruises

For cruises that begin and end in the same U.S port, the following WHTI-compliant documents are acceptable for cruise travel. Please note that if the cruise visits Colombia or Greenland, a passport (valid for six months after the cruise ends) is required.

Edited by Illbcruzn4life

11 hours ago, mz-s said:

People make things more complicated than they need to be in their own minds.

And everyone's reading comprehension isn't equal, so having a forum where one can verify what one things one read is a good thing. If you don't want to participate you certainly don't have to. At the end of the day it is still the traveler's responsibility no matter what they read or what anyone else says and if they get it wrong it is on them.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

Gotcha I didn't read down far enough.

A lot of people do this- they read until they think they have the answer they are looking for and then they stop, not realizing that what they are really looking for is really further down the page. Sometimes they will ask on here to verify, sometimes they'll just head to the port. (When we first cruised I was guilty of not reading far enough- I read the NCL FAQ about tipping and as soon as I read "tipping is not required" I stopped reading. Not too much further on they discussed the daily service charges that would be applied. I was lucky, it was a two nighter and it was just DW and myself, so having those charges appear on my invoice were a surprise, but not a game changer even though not budgeted for. Had we been on a 4 day cruise with all of the boys it would have been a different story.) 

32 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

A lot of people do this- they read until they think they have the answer they are looking for and then they stop, not realizing that what they are really looking for is really further down the page. Sometimes they will ask on here to verify, sometimes they'll just head to the port. (When we first cruised I was guilty of not reading far enough- I read the NCL FAQ about tipping and as soon as I read "tipping is not required" I stopped reading. Not too much further on they discussed the daily service charges that would be applied. I was lucky, it was a two nighter and it was just DW and myself, so having those charges appear on my invoice were a surprise, but not a game changer even though not budgeted for. Had we been on a 4 day cruise with all of the boys it would have been a different story.) 

You live and you learn. 😉

• Like 1