Lost Passport

groundloop

We cruise in a few days and my daughter couldn't figure out where her passport was.  She finally located it so all is well, but that got me to wondering about something.  

Say you've done online check-in and told Carnival you'll be using a passport, put in your passport information, etc...... what happens if you can't find it and show up at the port with a birth certificate and driver's license?  

13 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

.....I think the passenger can make the change before showing up. 

Yep, that's what I'm wondering, whether one needs to edit their online check-in or if it's acceptable to simply show up at the port with different documents.

Edited by groundloop

27 minutes ago, groundloop said:

Yep, that's what I'm wondering, whether one needs to edit their online check-in or if it's acceptable to simply show up at the port with different documents.

I would try to make the edits but they can also make the changes at check in. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, groundloop said:

We cruise in a few days and my daughter couldn't figure out where her passport was.  She finally located it so all is well, but that got me to wondering about something.  

Say you've done online check-in and told Carnival you'll be using a passport, put in your passport information, etc...... what happens if you can't find it and show up at the port with a birth certificate and driver's license?  

@Ferry_Watcher? Any input of this?

For those that don't know, Ferry does check-in at Seattle's port for Carnival as well as other lines.

• Like 2

As my friend @sparks1093 said, as long as your daughter's gov't issued birth certificate qualifies for her sailing (closed loop), then showing up with her birth certificate rather than her passport won't be a problem.  If for some reason the check-in agent with the tablet can't update the document change (birth certificate rather than passport), then she will be sent to a counter agent.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

As my friend @sparks1093 said, as long as your daughter's gov't issued birth certificate qualifies for her sailing (closed loop), then showing up with her birth certificate rather than her passport won't be a problem.  If for some reason the check-in agent with the tablet can't update the document change (birth certificate rather than passport), then she will be sent to a counter agent.

Thanks for confirming! I went to the Carnival website and it says that the online check in info should be provided by midnight the night before sailing, which leads me to conclude that you can change the previously provided info.

2 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

I hope everyone notes the part in parenthesis, closed loop. There are cruises where you will need a passport, and I believe that there are some cruise lines that do require one.

1 hour ago, Number12 said:

This got me wondering.  We plan to take our granddaughter who will be 17 on a round trip Seattle cruise to Alaska.  Will she need a passport?

She will not need a passport but at 17 she will need a government issued photo ID.  however, if you plan to take her on any excursions that enter Canada, such as from Skagway, she will need a passport.  EM

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This got me wondering.  We plan to take our granddaughter who will be 17 on a round trip Seattle cruise to Alaska.  Will she need a passport?

If she's a US citizen she can use a birth certificate and government issued photo ID.

Carnival's list of documentation necessary is on their website and clearly explained. Please read it for yourself.

https://www.carnival.com/help?topicid=3409

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mz-s said:

Carnival's list of documentation necessary is on their website and clearly explained. Please read it for yourself.

U.S. Domestic Cruises

For cruises that begin and end in the same U.S port, the following WHTI-compliant documents are acceptable for cruise travel. Please note that if the cruise visits Colombia or Greenland, a passport (valid for six months after the cruise ends) is required.

• U.S. Passport
  • Passport Card
  • State Enhanced Driver's License
  • Certificate of U.S. Naturalization
  • Native American Indian Card
  • US-born citizens may also use a birth certificate (issued by a government agency and accompanied by government-issued photo I.D.)

**************************************************************************************************************

Just beware that the "State Enhanced Driver's License" mentioned above is only available from the following 5 states: MI, MN, NY, VT & WA.   The holders of these Enhanced Driver's Licenses have submitted all sorts of paperwork that proves their US citizenship.  These Enhanced Driver License's clearly state at the top - Enhanced Driver's License

It is important to note that an Enhanced Driver License is very different from a Real ID Driver License.  A Real ID Driver License, on it's own, is not enough to get you on the ship.  You can use it as photo ID along with your gov't issued birth certificate, as the Real ID Driver License does not verify citizenship.

As @jsglow mentioned, I work at Pier 91 in Seattle, and every cruise day we have passengers showing up to board their Alaska bound cruise ship with just a regular driver license.  If they are US born citizens, we work with them to get a copy of their US gov't issued birth certificate.  If they are unable to get a copy of their birth certificate sent to them electronically, then sadly they are denied boarding.  

• Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

sadly they are denied boarding.  

Exactly why I tell people to read Carnival's documentation for themselves and ensure they are in compliance.

Every time a thread like this pops up, people on here just trying to be helpful share wrong information. They won't be there when you're at the pier with the wrong documents in your hand.

I know it's easier to go on social media and ask a question than it is to just find out the answer on your own, but you'll be the one watching the ship sail away from the dock if you're too lazy to do the research for yourself.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Indiansbaseball said:

Speaking of passports… I have a Magic cruise in March and I needed to renew mine. I mailed my renewal on October 17. No expedited processing but yes expedited shipping. They cashed my check on October 24th. I received my passport today. I’m in Ohio and it went to Philadelphia. 

Out of curiosity (gosh I use that phrase a lot), do you have (or have you ever had) a security clearance?  It appears folks that are already, um, "known" to the USG (in a positive manner) are much faster in turning around passports presumably because there is no/minimal background checking required.  Mine got renewed and received back in about 2 weeks (I did pay for expedited everything), and another poster also experienced a similar turn-around recently - we're both cleared.  (At least, that's what we both say... 😉 )

3 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Out of curiosity (gosh I use that phrase a lot), do you have (or have you ever had) a security clearance?  It appears folks that are already, um, "known" to the USG (in a positive manner) are much faster in turning around passports presumably because there is no/minimal background checking required.  Mine got renewed and received back in about 2 weeks (I did pay for expedited everything), and another poster also experienced a similar turn-around recently - we're both cleared.  (At least, that's what we both say... 😉 )

No, no security clearance. Just a prior passport ( several actually). I do also have the enhanced Ohio Drivers license, where I submitted my passport and whatever else to get. 🤔

Edited by Indiansbaseball
Added info

23 hours ago, Indiansbaseball said:

Speaking of passports… I have a Magic cruise in March and I needed to renew mine. I mailed my renewal on October 17. No expedited processing but yes expedited shipping. They cashed my check on October 24th. I received my passport today. I’m in Ohio and it went to Philadelphia. 

October 17th of 2023? If so...that is nothing short of a miracle. We sent in for renewal back in May and did not get it until end of August. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Indiansbaseball said:

No, no security clearance. Just a prior passport ( several actually). I do also have the enhanced Ohio Drivers license, where I submitted my passport and whatever else to get. 🤔

Ohio doesn't issue Enhanced Drivers Licenses. What you have is a REAL ID compliant license. The difference is an EDL proves ID and citizenship in one document and may be used at land border crossings and sea ports of entry. A REAL ID won't do that.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Indiansbaseball said:

I do also have the enhanced Ohio Drivers license, where I submitted my passport and whatever else to get. 🤔

Edited 3 hours ago by Indiansbaseball

@sparks1093,is correct - what you have is a Real ID driver license.  Your Ohio DL (on it's own) would allow you to board a cruise ship to Alaska (or any other cruise that stops in a foreign country).

• Like 2

On 11/14/2023 at 5:40 PM, mz-s said:

https://www.carnival.com/help?topicid=3409

when Carnival says passports must be valid for 6 months from the end of the cruise, is that just a CYA statement as it's not really true for 90% of Carnivals sailings?

7 minutes ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

when Carnival says passports must be valid for 6 months from the end of the cruise, is that just a CYA statement as it's not really true for 90% of Carnivals sailings?

No. But for those 90% you can go the Birth Cert/ID route.

59 minutes ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

They recommend that as a CYA in case you were injured or got sick and remained outside the country.