Ship Libraries - going, going, soon gone!

cellfree

Somewhat similar to the song “they paved paradise and put up a parking lot,” it appears we are now “losing libraries and putting in gift shops!”

Just off 25 nights on the Pride, library lost and gift shop in its place. But to give credit where credit is due, they did have two shelves deck 3 aft against a wall that had some books. 

I realize the new class ships do not have libraries - I did ask on Celebration about one as I thought perhaps I had missed it, Guest Services said there was not one but brought out a carton from the office in the back that had books guests had left behind - so when on Mardi Gras after Celebration I asked about any books they might have from past guests and the young lady looked at me as if I had a third eye- just sharing my experience!

So not certain, but it does seem when a ship goes into dry dock (Pride just came out of dry dock in May) the library may be lost to a gift shop!

• Like 2

I'm really sad about that to be honest. The library was my jam as a grad student. So calm and quiet. There's no calm and quiet places left on the ship. Next watch they'll take the secret gardens out in the next major revamp of the spirit class. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, ashkir said:

I'm really sad about that to be honest. The library was my jam as a grad student. So calm and quiet. There's no calm and quiet places left on the ship. Next watch they'll take the secret gardens out in the next major revamp of the spirit class. 

Me too. I love to read while on a cruise. Better make sure I bring extra books, just in case. No going to the library to exchange what I've brought. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Me too. I love to read while on a cruise. Better make sure I bring extra books, just in case. No going to the library to exchange what I've brought. 

Indeed! I usually use a Kindle now days. But I always looked through it to see if any good titles.

The saddest part is missing out the on the quiet spot. There's no quiet spots left on these ships now I feel. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, n6uqqq said:

The Pride lost its library and chapel to the arcade in 2019. It more recently lost the card room on deck 2 to the Carnival Adventures store. 

I've never seen anyone in the arcade! I wonder if they make enough off of it. 

It is sad, but I also understand it. Like, I love reading and I love libraries. I always make a point to go check out the library when I'm on a ship that has one - but, those spaces are just so underutilized. Space on cruise ships is so limited, I can't really blame them for using it for something other than a library.

The last few cruises my wife and I have tried to enjoy the libraries, where available, but often have found them "closed for a private event" ("Friends of..." or Chef's Table) more often than not.

We had previously enjoyed popping in there for a bit of quiet time, maybe looking at playing a board game, but obviously that isn't something the vox populi want.

Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone

Edited by ProgRockCruiser
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, MisterOJ2 said:

It is sad, but I also understand it. Like, I love reading and I love libraries. I always make a point to go check out the library when I'm on a ship that has one - but, those spaces are just so underutilized. Space on cruise ships is so limited, I can't really blame them for using it for something other than a library.

Talking about “space” on a ship, as I have been thinking about this, for instance one example, on the Pride the NightClub is huge and is used for maybe 3 hours a couple times a week - there is a lot of space on a ship that is underutilized- yet still sitting there. 

35 minutes ago, n6uqqq said:

The Pride lost its library and chapel to the arcade in 2019. It more recently lost the card room on deck 2 to the Carnival Adventures store. 

I never realized the Pride library was once where the arcade now is, i remember it being where the “gift shop” now is, it was a really enjoyable space that was often in use. It provided a service 24 hours a day - books and games and game tables and comfy chairs. 

3 minutes ago, cellfree said:

Talking about “space” on a ship, as I have been thinking about this, for instance one example, on the Pride the NightClub is huge and is used for maybe 3 hours a couple times a week - there is a lot of space on a ship that is underutilized- yet still sitting there. 

I agree. WAs on the Miracle. Went into the night club each time it was open. Dead inside. each time. 

26 minutes ago, cellfree said:

Well, there's your quiet space right there.

The piano bar is also quiet during the day.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, cellfree said:

I never realized the Pride library was once where the arcade now is, i remember it being where the “gift shop” now is, it was a really enjoyable space that was often in use. It provided a service 24 hours a day - books and games and game tables and comfy chairs. 

The card room sort of became the defacto library after they took it away with the chapel.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, staceyglow said:

Well, there's your quiet space right there.

The piano bar is also quiet during the day.

The topic was about losing the libraries (with books and games and game tables and a comfortable space.) And then someone suggested the library was underutilized space - so I went on to suggest there were a whole lot more underutilized larger spaces on a ship than just the library. I agree, there are other quiet spaces, but a library is something more than just a quiet space. 

37 minutes ago, ashkir said:

I agree. WAs on the Miracle. Went into the night club each time it was open. Dead inside. each time. 

That is exactly why they took out the lower level of the nightclub on the Pride to create 5 more staterooms on deck one along with a dedicated chef's table location also on deck 1. I am guessing the lower level of the nightclub will also be removed on the rest of the Spirit class as they dry dock next.

Anything that isn't making revenue of some kind is gone. That includes libraries, even though they are often used as Chef's Table venues on ships without dedicated Chef's Table venues. I guess they have another place to hold Chef's Table now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

The death of ship libraries is somewhat exaggerated, IMHO. I'm currently on the Magic and there are dozens of books in the library here, along with some board and card games.20231113_093138.thumb.jpg.d8fd73f3734ca53ef6752d6e1f764455.jpg

20231113_093015.thumb.jpg.c96d4bea01b1517ed8b399f0d77ba56c.jpg

20231113_130609.thumb.jpg.ab33b510abdc1b17e9fe53f083201961.jpg

Show us the photos of the library on the Celebration, Mardi Gras, Pride, etc...

Certainly a majority of Carnival's ships still have libraries. But only Carnival knows how long that will remain true.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, ashkir said:

Indeed! I usually use a Kindle now days. But I always looked through it to see if any good titles.

The saddest part is missing out the on the quiet spot. There's no quiet spots left on these ships now I feel. 

I forgot my Kindle on our Royal cruise and was able to snag a book at the library to make it by. I like it when the library and game room are combined, better use of space, but I guess game rooms are going the way of the dodo as well (as are chapels).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

The death of ship libraries is somewhat exaggerated, IMHO. I'm currently on the Magic and there are dozens of books in the library here, along with some board and card games.20231113_093138.thumb.jpg.d8fd73f3734ca53ef6752d6e1f764455.jpg

20231113_093015.thumb.jpg.c96d4bea01b1517ed8b399f0d77ba56c.jpg

20231113_130609.thumb.jpg.ab33b510abdc1b17e9fe53f083201961.jpg

No way of knowing for sure however I suspect every time a ship goes to dry dock we will lose another library. 

• Like 3

Just now, cellfree said:

No way of knowing for sure however I suspect every time a ship goes to dry dock we will lose another library. 

I expected the same but Paradise just emerged from drydock with her library still intact...my guess is since the library is the only good Chef's Table venue on Fantasy class ships, it's safe - for however much longer those two remaining vessels are safe from the breakers, anyway.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, mz-s said:

I expected the same but Paradise just emerged from drydock with her library still intact...my guess is since the library is the only good Chef's Table venue on Fantasy class ships, it's safe - for however much longer those two remaining vessels are safe from the breakers, anyway.

Ah interesting.

I am unhappy to hear that ship libraries are disappearing.  We love to read when on cruises, and the library is usually the best, quiet place.  We have donated books and picked up some to read while on the cruise.

We sailed on the Magic in October and used the library every day.  It was also used by a lot of other people.  There were 2 tables in there that groups of people used to play games.  Great for families.

So sad.  Bring back libraries.

• Like 3

I saw the library used quite a lot for remote schooling on my last cruise. Also a quiet lounge for board or card games etc. Yes there are actually a lot of people who enjoy board games - and not just the old classics like Monopoly.