Drones on caribbean cruises

colesc15

For those who have used a drone to take pictures and videos on cruises down in the Caribbean, have you generally run into any issues at any of the islands of getting shut down? Is there permission you have to get? I understand around the cruise port is generally a no go, I think, but beaches etc.. Interested in maybe getting into that hobby as I enjoy taking standard pictures so just weighing my options. 

It's not allowed to use a drone at Coco Cay, Labadee, on the ship, or in a port area. 

You have opened a can of worms, be ready for complaints about drones buzzing around (instead of advice on how to use it, which islands, etc.)

• Like 2

from the RCCL website: 

Guests are welcome to bring drones on their cruise for use on land only and outside of the port area. However, drones are not to be operated onboard the ship at any time, nor on Royal Caribbean’s private destinations: Perfect Day at CocoCay, Bahamas or Labadee®, Haiti.

While onboard, drones must be stored safely in the stateroom. Drones used on the ship will be confiscated until the end of the cruise. A Guest Conduct Policy warning will be issued and guests may be subject to disembarkation at their own expense for onboard drone usage.

Guests assume full responsibility for understanding all local authority rules related to drone usage and for obtaining any required permissions for drone operations. Different countries may have different rules. Any liability, including environmental damage from drone usage is the guest’s responsibility. Royal Caribbean assumes no liability for guest drones that may be confiscated by local authorities for violating local laws or for any accident or injury resulting from a guest drone flight.

Edited by Kellie in Texas
  • Like 6

17 hours ago, colesc15 said:

For those who have used a drone to take pictures and videos on cruises down in the Caribbean, have you generally run into any issues at any of the islands of getting shut down? Is there permission you have to get? I understand around the cruise port is generally a no go, I think, but beaches etc.. Interested in maybe getting into that hobby as I en

I just returned from a cruise to Nassau, CocoCay, Labadee, and Falmouth.  Since we went to Blue Lagoon in Nassau, Jamaica was the only place I could fly my drone.  I looked up the laws ahead of time and they did make it difficult, such as no flying over private property, no flying over groups of people, and height restrictions.  The hardest restriction was that the take-off and landing had to be 165 feet from anyone.  Even though I followed all the rules and only flew it over an uninhabited part of a river, I had a worker walk past me and ask if I was okay with leaving the drone in Jamaica.  So be aware that even if you follow all applicable laws, you may still upset someone.  I can imagine a lot of people don't follow the rules, but I have always gone by, when in someone else's home follow their rules.

1 hour ago, dgramling said:

I just returned from a cruise to Nassau, CocoCay, Labadee, and Falmouth.  Since we went to Blue Lagoon in Nassau, Jamaica was the only place I could fly my drone.  I looked up the laws ahead of time and they did make it difficult, such as no flying over private property, no flying over groups of people, and height restrictions.  The hardest restriction was that the take-off and landing had to be 165 feet from anyone.  Even though I followed all the rules and only flew it over an uninhabited part of a river, I had a worker walk past me and ask if I was okay with leaving the drone in Jamaica.  So be aware that even if you follow all applicable laws, you may still upset someone.  I can imagine a lot of people don't follow the rules, but I have always gone by, when in someone else's home follow their rules.

So did you leave the drone in Jamaica?

• Haha 1

Last Feb on our Anthem cruise, we were on our balcony at night, I was convinced there was a drone on our side of the ship. There was a small red light just hanging in the same spot for a very long time. I was pretty upset about it, thinking that someone could be filming. I didn't know there are rules/laws about using them. So, if they are not to be used on the ship, are people following that rule? Or are they using them anyway? Thoughts?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blessedwith10 said:

Last Feb on our Anthem cruise, we were on our balcony at night, I was convinced there was a drone on our side of the ship. There was a small red light just hanging in the same spot for a very long time. I was pretty upset about it, thinking that someone could be filming. I didn't know there are rules/laws about using them. So, if they are not to be used on the ship, are people following that rule? Or are they using them anyway? Thoughts?

Since you asked for thoughts...

It could have been an "official" RCI drone getting shots of the ship at night.

It could have been a passenger breaking the rule. 

Did you call guest services and say "I think I see and hear a drone outside room xxxx."?  

2 hours ago, Blessedwith10 said:

The consequences are the drone will be confiscated and returned at the end of the cruise. So worst case it will be confiscated and they will get their drone back along with the footage they wanted to take. 

12 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Since you asked for thoughts...

It could have been an "official" RCI drone getting shots of the ship at night.

It could have been a passenger breaking the rule. 

Did you call guest services and say "I think I see and hear a drone outside room xxxx."?  

I didn't call guest services. It made me uncomfortable. But i didn't know i could report it. Thanks for the thoughts.

On 11/18/2023 at 11:06 AM, SG65CB said:

The consequences are the drone will be confiscated and returned at the end of the cruise. So worst case it will be confiscated and they will get their drone back along with the footage they wanted to take. 

Guest MAY be disembarked.  That would hurt.   

On 11/19/2023 at 12:27 AM, Blessedwith10 said:

The ships security officers use drones . Plenty of video's on the net.