1st NCL cruise booked

RaiderFaninNM

11 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Okay, I like Fleetwood Mac.  I bought the Rumors LP when it came out.  That said, I'm not standing in line an hour and a half to hear a cover band in an overcrowded venue unless all the other music/venues on the ship suck.  This is approaching the "Beatles" level of crazy.

It’s not bad inside if u get a seat; they only allow standing in back.

They r the best “band” I’ve seen on 3 different ships (3 different sets of musicians)

Luckily I’m rarely into any shows besides the Broadway ones, nor piano bar/comedians (have yet to be impressed with the bit of each I’ve caught)

Funny, even DD25 says Rumours is one of her 5 fav albums of all times (not my fault, I’m late in that appreciation). She didn’t love the regular shows (not her time) but she would have sat thru Rumours twice.

They do clear the room & huge line so we sat on Waterfront & heard it again

47 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

That said, I'm not standing in line an hour and a half to hear a cover band

Someone sitting next to me proclaimed it the best entertainment he's seen at sea.  It really was a fantastic show!!

10 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I'm guessing they haven't seen Siglo.

Siglo is good, and I look forward to seeing them on the Bliss in January.

4 hours ago, mugtech said:

Or We Will Rock You on Anthem of the Seas.

That was good.  So was the Journey cover band (DSB Band) that I saw on that ship.

On 11/19/2023 at 3:56 AM, ggTexasGal said:

Regarding Great Stirrup Cay... It is a tender stop, so be certain to obtain your tender ticket if you do not book an excursion (or if in the Haven).  NOTE: sometimes they have to terminate the stop if there is rough weather/winds/water.

If you like snorkeling, they have their own designed area:

Thanks for the info, did not know one has to obtain a tender ticket, so you can't get show up?

On 11/19/2023 at 9:54 AM, Liljo22 said:

NCL only releases a limited amount of online reservations at 125/120 days.  They leave space available for on board which you can do at the reservation desk after you get on board.  

Was going to ask. We just booked last night (1st NCL cruise like OP). And I just now tried to make Cagneys resie and all that is left is 9.30pm. There was 9pm the 1st night so I grabbed that but want to switch once I get on the ship. I prob should have taken 9.30 for the day we wanted (not 1st night). Can I modify some way?

Also, is Bayamo seafood place not part of the free dining package deal? 

We get 1 free dining with our inside cabin booking. I used it for Cagneys. But they offer a dining upgrade for $83 pp. But it doesn't say what that is...is it 2 more dinners? Or just 1 more? A regular 2 dinner package is $119 pp. So the upgrade offer of $83 has to be for 2 dinners, right...and not just 1? 

Do excursions go on sale? Do they book up fast? Can I wait and watch for a sale? Cruise is March 16. Thanks for info.

Also...do we need to make resies now for the MDR? Is there a way? Or just do that on the cruise?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Okay, I like Fleetwood Mac.  I bought the Rumors LP when it came out.  That said, I'm not standing in line an hour and a half to hear a cover band in an overcrowded venue unless all the other music/venues on the ship suck.  This is approaching the "Beatles" level of crazy.

I can honestly say, I  have never met anyone from that day (i.e., "my" day)  that didn't own that album (Rumours). 

Edited by rodndonna
  • Haha 2

I think some of us (me included) have stirred up the interest in the Syd's show.  I liked it....a lot.  The group has 2-3 other shows that they perform throughout the week that showcases '70s and '80s music.  None of it is Fleetwood Mac.

I know there are different groups that perform the same show on different ships.  I've heard two of them.  Both were outstanding.

Is the venue small?  Sure is.  But, trying to put it in a larger venue really would take away the club atmosphere that the show is best suited and designed for.  

So, if you really want to see it (and given the lines to get a seat are at least a 30 minute wait), you have to make a choice of whether to wait in line for 30 minutes (at least), or skip it altogether.  UNLESS, you stay in the Haven.  In which case, you get a seat about 40 minutes before the doors open and you have to wait around in Syd's with nothing to do.  You will get a front row seat, though. Pick your poison.

Is it worth it?  I wholeheartedly say "yes".  But, aside from the performers being every bit as good as what you'd see on Broadway, they are performing music right in the wheelhouse of what I like.

I don't see NCL moving it to a larger venue for the reasons stated above.  It just wouldn't lend itself to be as good.  Being 5 feet or less is really part of the show....as is being in the "club" atmosphere.

If you aren't interested in that genre of music and/or unwilling to wait in line, skip it.  

To me, it's again, some of the best entertainment at sea.

PS...my sister is the one who turned me onto Fleetwood Mac as she took me to see them during the TUSK tour during "little sibs" weekend at her college.  That caused me to seek out their other music, which is vast and varied.

And my favorite....

https://youtu.be/RtmW2ek7WkQ?si=-q9IflhPtF-9he9H

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, laumicmah said:

We get 1 free dining with our inside cabin booking. I used it for Cagneys. But they offer a dining upgrade for $83 pp. But it doesn't say what that is...is it 2 more dinners? Or just 1 more? A regular 2 dinner package is $119 pp. So the upgrade offer of $83 has to be for 2 dinners, right...and not just 1? 

Great question as I saw that also and was wondering what the $83 PP actually is??

34 minutes ago, laumicmah said:

Was going to ask. We just booked last night (1st NCL cruise like OP). And I just now tried to make Cagneys resie and all that is left is 9.30pm. There was 9pm the 1st night so I grabbed that but want to switch once I get on the ship. I prob should have taken 9.30 for the day we wanted (not 1st night). Can I modify some way?

Do excursions go on sale? Do they book up fast? Can I wait and watch for a sale? Cruise is March 16. Thanks for info.

Also...do we need to make resies now for the MDR? Is there a way? Or just do that on the cruise?

Excursions never go on sale on NCL. So if you see something that you like book it. Chances are they will increase the prices in 2024. 

No need really to book MDR if you don’t want to unless you have a larger group going. 

Dining reservations can only be changed by calling or chatting with the customer service. 

Edited by European_CruiseGirl

15 hours ago, hallux said:

Someone sitting next to me proclaimed it the best entertainment he's seen at sea.  It really was a fantastic show!!

I had a guy say he has seen FM in concert & said this show was every bit as good.

9 hours ago, mugtech said:

Or We Will Rock You on Anthem of the Seas.

I like it. I like Syd's better--I prefer the intimate venue, variety of music; I was alternative rock chic. I appreciate Queen, but like Syd's variety (AND they have even changed the song list slightly each time)

1 hour ago, rodndonna said:

I can honestly say, I  have never met anyone from that day (i.e., "my" day)  that didn't own that album (Rumours). 

Now, I was 10...but a big music gal. I've learned to love Rumours more recently (thx, Syd!)

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

I think some of us (me included) have stirred up the interest in the Syd's show.  I liked it....a lot.  The group has 2-3 other shows that they perform throughout the week that showcases '70s and '80s music.  None of it is Fleetwood Mac.

4 Shows weekly plus 2 Rumours--was the same on our 10 day.

I know there are different groups that perform the same show on different ships.  I've heard two of them.  Both were outstanding.

I've seen 3...agree

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

Is the venue small?  Sure is.  But, trying to put it in a larger venue really would take away the club atmosphere that the show is best suited and designed for.  

I will say that we saw a show in Speigal Tent in August--just a simple show of Broadway tunes performed by the SIX vocalists. Terrific--it is a LITTLE bigger than Syds & was still a nice intimate feel. Now, no dance floor, so it changes the show a bit, but it might be a good alternative.

So, if you really want to see it (and given the lines to get a seat are at least a 30 minute wait), you have to make a choice of whether to wait in line for 30 minutes (at least), or skip it altogether.  UNLESS, you stay in the Haven.  In which case, you get a seat about 40 minutes before the doors open and you have to wait around in Syd's with nothing to do.  You will get a front row seat, though. Pick your poison.

That's just it--we are likely sitting & having a drink somewhere anyway. Good tunes even then. Maybe we bring a deck of cards & play cribbage, maybe just chat.

Is it worth it?  I wholeheartedly say "yes".  But, aside from the performers being every bit as good as what you'd see on Broadway, they are performing music right in the wheelhouse of what I like.

Admittedly I love this more than DD25 (tho you heard she loves Rumours); DH enjoys it as it's his HS/college years (MS/HS for me, heh, heh). But I LOVE it.

I don't see NCL moving it to a larger venue for the reasons stated above.  It just wouldn't lend itself to be as good.  Being 5 feet or less is really part of the show....as is being in the "club" atmosphere.

If you aren't interested in that genre of music and/or unwilling to wait in line, skip it.  

To me, it's again, some of the best entertainment at sea.

Probably Choir of Men is closest for me...guess I have a thing for "bar" shows...

PS...my sister is the one who turned me onto Fleetwood Mac as she took me to see them during the TUSK tour during "little sibs" weekend at her college.  That caused me to seek out their other music, which is vast and varied.

And my favorite....

https://youtu.be/RtmW2ek7WkQ?si=-q9IflhPtF-9he9H

Edited by KKB
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, laumicmah said:

OK...Bayamo is not on Breakaway; Ocean Blue is. It is a specialty restaurant.

The $83 package is for 2 specialty meals. 

Regarding reservation times--they hold many back. Try to get onboard as early as you can, and as soon as you get on the ship ask where you can go to make dinner reservations. That way you will get the best selection of times. You can change your Cagneys as well at that time. If you get the extra package, you can book ONE more before the cruise, but the systems won't allow more than 2.

MDR--you can make standing daily reservations or not. We never have, but there has only been 1 or 2 in our party. You can make reservations online just as you did for Cagneys. Not sure how this affects the "only 2 dining reservations" issue.

Excursions can certainly sell out. I have never seen a sale. If you see one that you really want, I would book it. (tho you might Google private excursions on each island as well; usually cheaper)

Edited by KKB
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, KKB said:

The $83 package is for 2 specialty meals. 

MDR--you can make standing daily reservations or not. We never have, but there has only been 1 or 2 in our party. You can make reservations online just as you did for Cagneys. Not sure how this affects the "only 2 dining reservations" issue.

Thanks, $83 is not a bad deal, that is for 2 people, one meal?

Is there a different menu to choose from?

So I have to ask how are the specialty restaurants vs the MDR's?

Edited by RaiderFaninNM

5 minutes ago, RaiderFaninNM said:

Thanks, $83 is not a bad deal, that is for 2 people, one meal?

Is there a different menu to choose from?

So I have to ask how are the specialty restaurants vs the MDR's?

That will give 2 people 2 extra specialty meals each.

I find NCL specialty dining to be quite good--a step above MDR, tho we find MDR to be solid.

Our favs are Cagney's & Ocean Blue--we like to show up when they open to ensure an Oceanfront (outside--1st come 1st served) table. Le Bistro is also quite good, but no Oceanfront.😉

Noodles is yummy & complimentary but tough to get in as it is small...people line up 30 min before opening! 

(see a pattern? NCL designed these ships with lots of intimate spaces, but I think they foolishly believed people would then evenly spread themselves over all of them, not taking the popularity of various venues into consideration)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, KKB said:

That will give 2 people 2 extra specialty meals each.

I find NCL specialty dining to be quite good--a step above MDR, tho we find MDR to be solid.

Our favs are Cagney's & Ocean Blue--we like to show up when they open to ensure an Oceanfront (outside--1st come 1st served) table. Le Bistro is also quite good, but no Oceanfront.😉

Noodles is yummy & complimentary but tough to get in as it is small...people line up 30 min before opening! 

(see a pattern? NCL designed these ships with lots of intimate spaces, but I think they foolishly believed people would then evenly spread themselves over all of them, not taking the popularity of various venues into consideration)

Wow, that is even a better deal, come on $20PP is a steal!

Thanks for the explanation, that is a no brainer...

31 minutes ago, RaiderFaninNM said:

Wow, that is even a better deal, come on $20PP is a steal!

Thanks for the explanation, that is a no brainer...

No, $41.50 pp per meal.

$83 covers 2 specialty meals for 1 person...but I'm pretty sure you gotta buy it for everyone in the cabin.

Sorry, wasn't clear about that--my brain had it right, but my explantation didn't match my brain!

Edited by KKB

10 minutes ago, KKB said:

No, $41.50 pp per meal.

$83 covers 2 specialty meals for 1 person...but I'm pretty sure you gotta buy it for everyone in the cabin.

Sorry, wasn't clear about that--my brain had it right, but my explantation didn't match my brain!

Oh, that still sounds like a good deal....Are there any limitations on the menu, I suppose it is an appetizer, main and desert?

3 minutes ago, RaiderFaninNM said:

Oh, that still sounds like a good deal....Are there any limitations on the menu, I suppose it is an appetizer, main and desert?

Yes, that is typically what it is, and soup/salad; usually multiple sides. You won't go away hungry!

2 minutes ago, RaiderFaninNM said:

Are there any limitations on the menu

Can of worms... opened.  It depends on the person you get, some allow one app, one soup or salad, one main and one dessert.  Some say it's one app, soup or salad.  Look in 4 previous threads discussing the topic, see 4 different answers...

41 minutes ago, ggTexasGal said:

I would not recommend just showing-up, unless it is later in the day, after most people have gotten off the ship already.

By 11:30 or 12 I was able to get right on a tender without a ticket when I was on the Escape in March.

• Like 2