1st NCL cruise booked

RaiderFaninNM

20 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I'm guessing they haven't seen Siglo.

After I heard Siglo butcher one of my favorite songs (Change the World by Eric Clapton) I swore them off...after swearing AT them. In the immortal words of Randy Jackson on "American Idol"..."Pitchy, dawg"...I know people like them...I don't get it.

Edited by schmoopie17

6 hours ago, KKB said:

OK...Bayamo is not on Breakaway; Ocean Blue is. It is a specialty restaurant.

The $83 package is for 2 specialty meals. 

Regarding reservation times--they hold many back. Try to get onboard as early as you can, and as soon as you get on the ship ask where you can go to make dinner reservations. That way you will get the best selection of times. You can change your Cagneys as well at that time. If you get the extra package, you can book ONE more before the cruise, but the systems won't allow more than 2.

MDR--you can make standing daily reservations or not. We never have, but there has only been 1 or 2 in our party. You can make reservations online just as you did for Cagneys. Not sure how this affects the "only 2 dining reservations" issue.

Excursions can certainly sell out. I have never seen a sale. If you see one that you really want, I would book it. (tho you might Google private excursions on each island as well; usually cheaper)

Yours is the second or third post I've seem mentioning online reservations for the MDR.

There is no such option for my sailing - only specialty venues.

2 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

After I heard Siglo butcher one of my favorite songs (Change the World by Eric Clapton) I swore them off...after swearing AT them. In the immortal words of Randy Jackson on "American Idol"..."Pitchy, dawg"...I know people like them...I don't get it.

What?!  You literally swore at Jun, Randy, Jamie and the guy whose name I still can't remember?

They did a fantastic rendition of Tears in Heaven.  Did you catch that one or did your swearing (on and off) eliminate that possibility?

disclaimer:  I've never watched an episode of American Idol, so I really have no idea what you are talking about.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cruiser2015 said:

Yours is the second or third post I've seem mentioning online reservations for the MDR.

There is no such option for my sailing - only specialty venues.

I am able to on my laptop

1 hour ago, RaiderFaninNM said:

Did you find it necessary?

I was able to make MDR reservations on my recent sailing on the Jade ahead of sailing. One evening when we were in Bermuda, I hadn't made any dinner reservations. I showed up at one of the MDRs and was told unless I wanted to share a table, there was nothing available until really late. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, genealogyfan said:

I was able to make MDR reservations on my recent sailing on the Jade ahead of sailing. One evening when we were in Bermuda, I hadn't made any dinner reservations. I showed up at one of the MDRs and was told unless I wanted to share a table, there was nothing available until really late. 

Thanks, we honestly don't mind sharing a table, most, and I use that term lightly, most of the time it makes for great conversations 

I’m going to pile on the Rumors bandwagon! The best show on a cruise for both my husband and me. The line didn’t seem that bad for us but maybe it was new at the time (Breakaway May 2022) and didn’t have the notoriety yet? On another site’s roll call, someone from an earlier cruise chimed in to say what great show it was so I had a heads up. I don’t think we waited in line outside for more than 30 minutes (and we were first in line). The time went quickly once inside because you are basically hanging out at a cool bar. We were front row, on the floor in front of the stage where the performers often sang from. It was fantastic!

• Like 2

On 11/21/2023 at 11:44 AM, RaiderFaninNM said:

Thanks, we honestly don't mind sharing a table, most, and I use that term lightly, most of the time it makes for great conversations 

We have sailed 5 times since reopening, 39 nights total.  We have never been asked to share a table, either before or after being seated. Breakfast, lunch or dinner.

3 of the sailings were at over capacity for the ship.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2023 at 12:07 PM, graphicguy said:

I think some of us (me included) have stirred up the interest in the Syd's show.  I liked it....a lot.  The group has 2-3 other shows that they perform throughout the week that showcases '70s and '80s music.  None of it is Fleetwood Mac.

I know there are different groups that perform the same show on different ships.  I've heard two of them.  Both were outstanding.

Is the venue small?  Sure is.  But, trying to put it in a larger venue really would take away the club atmosphere that the show is best suited and designed for.  

So, if you really want to see it (and given the lines to get a seat are at least a 30 minute wait), you have to make a choice of whether to wait in line for 30 minutes (at least), or skip it altogether.  UNLESS, you stay in the Haven.  In which case, you get a seat about 40 minutes before the doors open and you have to wait around in Syd's with nothing to do.  You will get a front row seat, though. Pick your poison.

Is it worth it?  I wholeheartedly say "yes".  But, aside from the performers being every bit as good as what you'd see on Broadway, they are performing music right in the wheelhouse of what I like.

I don't see NCL moving it to a larger venue for the reasons stated above.  It just wouldn't lend itself to be as good.  Being 5 feet or less is really part of the show....as is being in the "club" atmosphere.

If you aren't interested in that genre of music and/or unwilling to wait in line, skip it.  

To me, it's again, some of the best entertainment at sea.

PS...my sister is the one who turned me onto Fleetwood Mac as she took me to see them during the TUSK tour during "little sibs" weekend at her college.  That caused me to seek out their other music, which is vast and varied.

And my favorite....

https://youtu.be/RtmW2ek7WkQ?si=-q9IflhPtF-9he9H

We have been told many times Syd is contracted to the venue so can't be moved.

We have managed enough times on Getaway on Europe cruises without lines.

It's a good venue series of shows but as it is cast same dialog/set list/jokes every time

Interesting that on Viva Prom night is now being done in the theatre in club mode(no stadium seats open standing floor) which makes sense as it still has the club vibe but capacity to hold a lot more people.

The other party nights on Viva in the theatre have worked well.

Last night they converted from full seated theatre to full club in under 20 mins and were part club after 10mins to get the party started.

2 minutes ago, insidecabin said:

We have been told many times Syd is contracted to the venue so can't be moved.

We have managed enough times on Getaway on Europe cruises without lines.

It's a good venue series of shows but as it is cast same dialog/set list/jokes every time

Interesting that on Viva Prom night is now being done in the theatre in club mode(no stadium seats open standing floor) which makes sense as it still has the club vibe but capacity to hold a lot more people.

The other party nights on Viva in the theatre have worked well.

Last night they converted from full seated theatre to full club in under 20 mins and were part club after 10mins to get the party started.

I think the music is licensed (via Fleetwood Mac for Rumors).  From what I understand, the show itself was developed by NCL.  That makes sense for the “prom” theme.  I know the Prima and Viva ships are smaller and can convert the main theaters into a “hall” type atmosphere.  That makes sense for the “prom” performances.  Have booked the Prima to sail in a couple of months.

Looking forward to checking that out.

Edited by graphicguy

As new to NCL and the cruise is months away, after your initial excitement and planning, keep an eye on developments, a lot can change and probably will before you cruise.

I try to monitor YouTube for recent vlogs and CC live from to get a feel for what's happening on ships we are looking at.

One thing with NCL it does things differently to many other lines, engagement with the way NCL do things can make for a happy cruise. 

Many fall into its not like this on (pick a line).

On 11/22/2023 at 5:08 PM, Panhandle Couple said:

We have sailed 5 times since reopening, 39 nights total.  We have never been asked to share a table, either before or after being seated. Breakfast, lunch or dinner.

3 of the sailings were at over capacity for the ship.

We are a family of 7, never made reservations, but always go to the larger MDR as they have more large tables, never had to wait.

4 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Why do people just assume that because something is licensed under a contract that it can't be moved?

On the Latitudes Behind the Scenes tour on the Breakaway last year the Entertainment Director said the current contract required the show to be in the small venue.  He said they were hoping to adjust the terms to move it to a larger venue but it hadn’t happened yet.  Maybe it never will.  

6 minutes ago, hallux said:

because the contract may be based on performance in the Syd Normans venue.

3 minutes ago, Russiamomm said:

the current contract required the show to be in the small venue.

Bingo!!  Anybody who ever worked in any kind of business knows that all contracts can be modified.  Is it cheap?  Is it easy?  We don't know in this case.  That said, I firmly believe in the old saying "everything has a price."  Perhaps NCL needs to pull out their wallet and work on this.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Perhaps NCL needs to pull out their wallet and work on this.

While it's not optimal for large numbers of passengers to see the show, I quite enjoyed the intimacy of the venue on the Escape and the performer interaction with the audience.  The experience is not going to be the same in the theater.

12 minutes ago, hallux said:

While it's not optimal for large numbers of passengers to see the show, I quite enjoyed the intimacy of the venue on the Escape and the performer interaction with the audience.  The experience is not going to be the same in the theater.

The experience in the theater will likely be MUCH better for those who wound up standing in the back after waiting in a long line (or not even making it into the show).

17 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Bingo!!  Anybody who ever worked in any kind of business knows that all contracts can be modified.  Is it cheap?  Is it easy?  We don't know in this case.  That said, I firmly believe in the old saying "everything has a price."  Perhaps NCL needs to pull out their wallet and work on this.

Many popular artists sell off the rights to their work after years or decades pass.  

This has happen to Fleetwood Mac, although no one agency owns all the songs on the Rumors album.

https://people.com/music/mick-fleetwood-lindsey-buckingham-sell-fleetwood-mac-music-rights/

At least 3 firms, according to this article.  They each paid millions, and are expecting a return on their investment.  While it is easy to say renegotiate, it is much harder than that.  NCL could end up paying 3X the amount to move to the theater, and probably have to pay the artists more to perform. But that won't increase on board bookings, which are running over 100%.  

• Like 1