Jim_Iain Live - 2nd Half World Cruise - B2B Singapore to Down Under 11/25 – 12/21

Jim_Iain

Thank you, Jim, for sharing your story. You and Iain are such a wonderful match, and it’s terrific that you found each other and are living your best life! Thank you for taking us along. Have a marvelous cruise and let the adventure continue!

- Dawn

34 minutes ago, venicecruiser said:

Also, Singapore Airlines looks awesome!  Love the seats and the menus were incredible

When we flew with them in January 2008, Changi  airport terminal 3 had just been opened, (09/02/08) but looked fully operational.

We we’re lucky to fly on the then new A380.

Capacity for 800 passengers, but Singapore airlines had 530 configuration, so plenty of leg room.

Edited by upwarduk

22 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Thanks..  I never retirement to be such fun.   I always thought I would be bored and have to find something to keep me busy but....Not gotten boredd yet.

Isn't that the truth! (especially w/ lots of travel to plan & enjoy😉)

Love following you along on your journey together--we had looked that that mini-"world cruise" on the Edge (the B2B2B2B)--another time!

Until then, living vicariously through you (and @Norwaylady for the 1st 2 legs)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Good night. IMG_0363.thumb.jpeg.caa8c6da47b26b83f15e8ceff66deaf1.jpeg

really unusual seats.  The back of the seat folds down and already made with egg crate mattress, sheets, 2 full size pillows and a duvet 

also bulkhead have a huge foot area instead of just an angled hole. 

IMG_0319.thumb.jpeg.773b1a0e336a7a12f1c3504b317fb1c8.jpeg

Oh, what a delightful way to travel! This looks so much more comfortable than the Delta Premium Plus upright seats that DH & I were supposed to sit/sleep in on our JFK-Rome flight for our cancelled TA.

I teared up as I read how you and Iain found one another, then again as I shared your story with Mark. How absolutely wonderful that your third time was the charm for the two of you. Mark's was the 3rd marriage proposal I'd received, and after saying no two times, I knew he was the keeper!

Kay

• Like 2

Jim, count me in on the vicarious followers of your adventures.

This past summer, for the very first time, we used an airport lounge (Heathrow), and booked Business American with the individual reclining bed  seats and assorted goodies.  Kind of spoils you for future long haul flights!

Appreciated your biography, feels like we all know you better now.  Any history for Iain?

Loved hearing the story of you and Iain!  Congratuations to you both.  I happened to be in San Francisco and went home the day before the Loma Prieta Quake.  I had a client who had just crossed the Bay Bridge prior to the quake.  The only good thing to come from that quake is that San Francisco got rid of that dreadful freeway by the bay.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Loved hearing the story of you and Iain!  Congratuations to you both.  I happened to be in San Francisco and went home the day before the Loma Prieta Quake.  I had a client who had just crossed the Bay Bridge prior to the quake.  The only good thing to come from that quake is that San Francisco got rid of that dreadful freeway by the bay.

I had a friend who was on the Bridge during the earthquake.  She said they say people running towards their car like it was in a zombie movie.

Also read about a guy who had acrophobia.  His office window faced the freeway that was removed.  He had to change offices.

I was in a parking lot at the time.

• Like 1

We got into Singapore about an hour early and it was nice to have our feet on the ground again.

First of -  SINGAPORE AIRLINE IS THE BEST AIRLINE IN THE WORLD.

What an incredible flight.   The first thing you notice is the attractiveness any young age of the flight crew.   It is the polar opposite for US flag carrier like United.   I use to kid Iain and say my God the flight attendant was the age of my mother.   I may have to revise that to my age.  LOL  

From the moment you walked aboard you were addressed by your surname every time the flight attendant or purser interacted with you  -  Is everything OK Mr Smaltz.    Mr. Smaltz, would you like your coffee freshened up.   etc etc. 

As soon as I got ready for bed an attendant rushed to me and said let me get your bed ready for you.    Would you like me to awake you at a certain time or would you just like to sleep.  

Food was also superb and plentiful.   The biggest problem is how do you schedule your meal on an 18 hour flight and adjust to arrival time at the same time.

• Like 22

18 hours ago, abbydancer said:

Looking at the menu (which is incredible) I remembered that I don't like the food in Singapore.  I just told DH that I guess we're there for 3 days before our cruise so that I can lose a couple of pounds before the cruise.

I don't eat fish or very spicy food, and Singapore was a real problem.  Otherwise, we loved it.

Trust me you can find anything in Singapore.  Last time we were here my stomach was just sour and the thought of Chinese, Japanese, Thai or Indian just wasn't going to make it.   We walked around looking for American Fare to no avail.   Just about giving up - I looked up and saw a Hyatt and decided to check out the area.     Found a little Italian Restaurant  that just filled the bill -   We both ordered the Carbonara that was just perfect lightness and right order side.     Loved it so much that I learned to make Carbonara.

• Like 3

Another really hidden treasure throughout Singapore are the Food Courts under almost every shopping center -   You will find every imaginal type of food -  as well as grocery stores.  

Having said that after getting in last night we decided to walk over to the Burgis Center which is about a 15 minute walk.    Huge amount of construction in our area so took a bit of navigation -  Thank goodness for for Google Maps.    

Even though it was 8PM the city is hustling and bustling and the food court was jammed.  We picked up some cereal, bread, wine and mile.   Just enough to get us going on Wednesday. 

• Like 7

15 hours ago, Suzyq99 said:

Jim, finally got up to page 7.  Been following you for years and so excited you are joining the Edge.  We joined the Edge in Rome.  Looking forward to meeting you.  
Susan

Susan -   So glad to hear you are aboard and from everything been reading been a bit challenging but enjoyable.

Have you heard how many B2B's there will be ?    

We received a message from Celebrity while I was in flight that they are expecting delays in processing passengers off the ship and delaying our departure and asking new guest to arrive an hour later than normal.   Seems that two ships will be sharing the terminal. 

20 hours ago, terrydtx said:

OMG that menu is unbelievable, I hope it all tastes as good as it sounds.

We only had special off menu meals an they were incredible.   The Lobster was really good but the Dim Sum was the star of the show. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, DUTRAVEL said:

I love this story about your life with Iain so much. Thanks for sharing - I’m glad you ended up with your true love 

Dianne

Shhh... those darn sleeping pills Ambian kinda put me in a hypnotic state -  somewhere between sleep and away.   I had such vivid dreams that when I awakened and nothing to do for another 4 hour.   I wrote Iain a love letter letting him know how much he means to me.  He isn't as connected as me and has read his e-mails yet. 

• Like 18

23 hours ago, Lastdance said:

I hope that you are really not just sitting in a cubicle somewhere posting this entire adventure, but even if you are, more power to you...I just do not trust anyone nowadays, so appreciate an honest and fair review from someone who is actually going to all these places...Okay, I believe it is you, Jim! 🤩  Oh how I love New Zealand!  Safe Travels to both of you...

Depends on what you mean by a cubicle.    I had 18 hours of nothing to do while crossing the Pacific.   Even getting 7 hours sleep I had plenty of time to putter around writing my Live Post -  Texting my daughter  - eating - more live posting and more eating.  

I'm not real big on watching movies.    I usually listen to audio books but I kept getting distracted writing and reading posts I kept getting lost in thought so finally just put on some easy listening and kept myself busy.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Jazzbo said:

I love your live reviews, Jim. Your Covid review sticks in my mind — making memos into lemonade! I am looking forward to following along. Bon Voyage to you and Iain. 😊🚢

The two Lives that will always be in my mine was the time I forgot my Passport and the Covid cruise.    Like in life all, storms have a silver lining.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DingoMom said:

Thank you, Jim, for sharing your story. You and Iain are such a wonderful match, and it’s terrific that you found each other and are living your best life! Thank you for taking us along. Have a marvelous cruise and let the adventure continue!

- Dawn

Jim, i have to agree it is a very touching story and I am so happy for you and Iain. Hope someday to meet you both only missing you in Australia by a couple of weeks.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, bluwes said:

We stayed at the Pan Pacific some years ago. In fact it’s so long ago they were still building that MRT station. It was our first time in Singapore after doing a land trip which included Thailand and Hong Kong. It was an awesome hotel back then. Hope it’s still the same.We  have been back several times but stayed further along Orchard Road and  around Clarke Quay

Thanks also   for opening your heart and letting us have a glimpse into your life  story.

Pan Pacific Beach Road is much the same -  buy my God they have the whole area torn up building a new ramp off the highway and Beach is torn up and barricaded  making it a little challenging as we can't take the routes we are accustomed. 

Even when working here I tried to say away from Orchard, just too much traffic and people.   I lived in the Westin across from Raphael's and loved that area.    We really prefer to find Apartment style places to stay.  

IMG_0377.thumb.jpeg.afcc06d53eff46e63c824b710f149891.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 7

10 hours ago, Joker54 said:

Jim your reviews are amazing!! We are flying from LA X to Singapore non-stop on Singapore Airlines in March. We are curious how those new fold down seats are.

And like everyone else here, we are so happy that you and Iain found each other.

Cheers

The beds are incredible.    If found that compared to many other airlines the counter space and seat storage to be limited.    The bulk head center seats are the best.   Like most business class with the slant head and foot compartments on an angle - the front row has a big open area.   If you are tall like me it is perfect.  

Like I said the seats themselves don't go flat and only recline like the old slanted lay flat.   Instead on the back of the seat you pull a lever and the seat back folds forward forming a flat bed that is aleady made up with all the linens and  pillows.    My view is it is much more comfortable for sleeping.

I found the trays large but really didn't swivel much so you have to close it up totally to get out of your seat.     TV and entertainment incredible and tv's have an HDMI connector if you want to watch your own content.

• Like 5

For any of you techies-   Been having a strange issue with my new iPhone 15 Pro Max and CC.    About 10% of my photo's when I upload show up as a big black picture.   I have to go in and take a Screen shot of the photo and then crop -  when I post the screen shot it posts perfect.