Sail Standby for $49 a day- new program

BermudaBound2014

8 hours ago, kluv2cruz said:

This is the answer, I think! Why give it away? There’s a chance someone may want to go on the cruise, say 6 days from sailing, and pay regular retail.

And of course, if the cabin was empty due to last minute cancellations, HAL has at least part of that revenue. (They would have about 20% (platinum returns 90% and the cost is roughly 10%) if the pax had purchased platinum, and 20% + whatever the cost of the HAL  insurance is, or the total fare if the canceling pax had private or no insurance. )

• Like 1

On 2/22/2024 at 10:09 AM, SilvertoGold said:

How are people handling travel medical insurance for these really "last minute" cruises? I can imagine doing it all the necessary planning with maybe 3 days notice, but not for  24 hours!

We have an annual plan that covers an unlimited number of trips up to 18 days in length each. If we go on something longer, we buy a top up for the extra days beyond 18. So we’re covered for late notice standby. 

8 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

We have an annual plan that covers an unlimited number of trips up to 18 days in length each. If we go on something longer, we buy a top up for the extra days beyond 18. So we’re covered for late notice standby. 

We we wondering if this is the way to go if you do not have any pre-existing conditions.  Questions: 1. can you buy this annual policy to include (changing) pre-existing conditions? And, 2.  how reasonable is the pricing when you add on extra days beyond the 18?

How was the snow out there a while ago? Vancouver had two days of really bad roads!  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

We we wondering if this is the way to go if you do not have any pre-existing conditions.  Questions: 1. can you buy this annual policy to include (changing) pre-existing conditions? And, 2.  how reasonable is the pricing when you add on extra days beyond the 18?

How was the snow out there a while ago? Vancouver had two days of really bad roads!  

This is plan we have. Good for a year and for trips under 70 days.

https://www.geobluetravelinsurance.com/products/multi-trip/trekker-compare-plans.cfm

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

We go through CARP (the Canadian branch of AARP, for those wondering). It covers pre-existing conditions, BUT you have to let them know about any changes to them before you leave home. If the condition changes while you’re traveling, it’s covered. The top up is higher per day, but not bad. For something lengthy, like our 2023 World Cruise, the cheapest and best option was buying a separate plan that began 18 days after we left Canada.

We live close to the Sumas border crossing, and randomly pop down to the US for the day. The multi trip plan covers us if we get in an accident or have a heart attack, which can happen as easily in Bellingham as in Vancouver, and we don't have to pre-plan anything.

We were lucky here when the snow hit. We got maybe 20% at most of what Vancouver did!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, hmmm said:

We are currently on the Neiw Statendam- and a couple weeks ago, I thought- What the heck, why not sign up for the Stand-by program- so we did- and I just got an email saying we are going!  We have been assigned a VB stateroom, and will get off the ship on Sunday and get back on the same day.  We will get our laundry done Sunday Night, as we packed for only 1 week.  We are thrilled!

Nice! Congrats! Double congrats on getting a VB cabin! Triple congrats on laundry!!

Safe travels- enjoy your cruise!

On 2/22/2024 at 1:54 AM, Chicanocruiser said:

I'm disappointed that no one is receiving approximately seven days notice but I can definitely work with around 24 hours notice.

Agree - no 7 day notices is disappointing, especially since that's how the program was rolled out. Great for those who can make 24 hours work. And better for those who can make 90 minutes work (as some report getting that short of notice).

On 2/23/2024 at 10:03 AM, ChinaShrek said:

Do you think this was done to mislead people (malicious) or because of a lack of communication in the company?

It takes less effort, intelligence, and planning to be incompetent than it does to be malicious.

My vote goes to lack of  communication and not working out details before launching the program.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

It takes less effort, intelligence, and planning to be incompetent than it does to be malicious.

My vote goes to lack of  communication and not working out details before launching the program.

I'm aligned likely poor communication. 

How often does one get different answers depending on who answers a call?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

We go through CARP (the Canadian branch of AARP, for those wondering). It covers pre-existing conditions, BUT you have to let them know about any changes to them before you leave home. If the condition changes while you’re traveling, it’s covered. The top up is higher per day, but not bad. For something lengthy, like our 2023 World Cruise, the cheapest and best option was buying a separate plan that began 18 days after we left Canada.

We live close to the Sumas border crossing, and randomly pop down to the US for the day. The multi trip plan covers us if we get in an accident or have a heart attack, which can happen as easily in Bellingham as in Vancouver, and we don't have to pre-plan anything.

We were lucky here when the snow hit. We got maybe 20% at most of what Vancouver did!

Excellent! Thanks for your help. The daffodils are upand blooming here!

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Has anyone heard how standby notification and cabin assignment went for the standby sailings out of Fort Lauderdale February 24 and February 25? There were 4 sailings, including two over 10 days long.

Scroll back through the thread.  I think I recall 2 people getting notified Friday they got a stateroom for today (Sunday).  Once got a VB (verandah - not sure about the other.

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 2/21/2024 at 11:54 PM, Chicanocruiser said:

I'm disappointed that no one is receiving approximately seven days notice but I can definitely work with around 24 hours notice.

The T&C does say the list will be reviewed within 7 days of departure. 

In practice the list will be reviewed if cabins are available. If the ship is sold out then someone cancels two days out that would be when you would be informed that a cabin is available. I have seen at least one person in Florida that said the received notice yesterday for a 3 March sailing

• Like 1

14 hours ago, billet said:

The T&C does say the list will be reviewed within 7 days of departure. 

In practice the list will be reviewed if cabins are available. If the ship is sold out then someone cancels two days out that would be when you would be informed that a cabin is available. I have seen at least one person in Florida that said the received notice yesterday for a 3 March sailing

While 7 days notice would be nice, it never did make sense to me that they’d confirm standbys while the cruise is still for sale on the website. Website sales cut off 3 days before sailing, so I’m not expecting a go/ no go notification before that.
The 6 day notice must mean there are a LOT of unsold cabins for that sailing!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

While 7 days notice would be nice, it never did make sense to me that they’d confirm standbys while the cruise is still for sale on the website. Website sales cut off 3 days before sailing, so I’m not expecting a go/ no go notification before that.
The 6 day notice must mean there are a LOT of unsold cabins for that sailing!

3 days notice isn't bad if you live a reasonable distance from the port. But 24 hours is too tight for most people. 

• Like 3

For those that scored a great cabin  , bravo to you ;however in scouring these pages we see  both sides  of this standby program .  The timing seems tighter than  the 7 days   in the ad  in soe cases 1 or 2 days prior to sailing . Then there is a guarantee of a inside cabin with hopes for a better cabin .  Cabin location can not be selected ie  . For some this program is a blessing & others a nightmare   . It is not some thing we would vie for even though we live 30 miles from the Dan Diego port

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

For those that scored a great cabin  , bravo to you ;however in scouring these pages we see  both sides  of this standby program .  The timing seems tighter than  the 7 days   in the ad  in soe cases 1 or 2 days prior to sailing . Then there is a guarantee of a inside cabin with hopes for a better cabin .  Cabin location can not be selected ie  . For some this program is a blessing & others a nightmare   . It is not some thing we would vie for even though we live 30 miles from the Dan Diego port

Yes, you have to be willing to take whatever they give you. That, I think I could live with. It's the tight timing that I don't like.

• Like 3

We went standby Feb 16-25th on the Rotterdam. I was notified Tuesday afternoon for the Friday sailing from Fort Lauderdale. We were offered a paid upgrade for oceanview and veranda but we stayed with the inside cabin. Hubby slept like a baby for the first time. I guess the total darkness really helped. We had no complaints. Had a great time. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 7

2 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Yes, you have to be willing to take whatever they give you. That, I think I could live with. It's the tight timing that I don't like.

We need a handicap cabin & normally book a VH handicap & use Club Orange to upgrade the cabin to a V or VA category .That is a great deal with using Club Orange plus the other perks that CO gets

2 hours ago, Skvalloney said:

We went standby Feb 16-25th on the Rotterdam. I was notified Tuesday afternoon for the Friday sailing from Fort Lauderdale. We were offered a paid upgrade for oceanview and veranda but we stayed with the inside cabin. Hubby slept like a baby for the first time. I guess the total darkness really helped. We had no complaints. Had a great time. 

Congrats and thanks for coming back to provide feedback.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Skvalloney said:

Nice deal! And interesting that they offered options to upgrade. 

• Like 2

On 2/28/2024 at 10:59 AM, 3rdGenCunarder said:

3 days notice isn't bad if you live a reasonable distance from the port. But 24 hours is too tight for most people. 

24 hours is VERY tight. If we haven’t heard from HAL, we’re going to be packed and ready to go anyway. We can be at the check in counter with 3 hours notice if we have to, which many people can’t. I don’t think the program can work with real no shows, even if you’re right there. They don’t know if someone is truly a no show until boarding closes, at which time, well, boarding is closed. Even if you’re there and waiting, it’s too late.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

24 hours is VERY tight. If we haven’t heard from HAL, we’re going to be packed and ready to go anyway. We can be at the check in counter with 3 hours notice if we have to, which many people can’t. I don’t think the program can work with real no shows, even if you’re right there. They don’t know if someone is truly a no show until boarding closes, at which time, well, boarding is closed. Even if you’re there and waiting, it’s too late.

I agree. Plus isn't there some rule about when they have to finalize the passenger manifest? 

1 minute ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I agree. Plus isn't there some rule about when they have to finalize the passenger manifest? 

Yes.  Passengers are required to check in no less than 90 minutes prior to sailing.  Passenger manifest goes out no later than 60 minutes prior to sailing.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Yes.  Passengers are required to check in no less than 90 minutes prior to sailing.  Passenger manifest goes out no later than 60 minutes prior to sailing.

Yes. This is a government regulation. In other words, unless the ship is notified at least 2 hours in advance, by the time they know a no show can’t show up and go aboard, neither can a standby.

• Like 1