Breakdown of Gratuities since latest increase

9 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

This was just posted in a different forum from Wonder.

image.thumb.png.5d2e0e42119a4f0a2e190d14483dbd3c.png

Why does a JS include $0.50 more for Dining Room?  For Coastal Kitchen??

And that's a big difference between the Wonder and Symphony.  Definitely "RCI".

Edited by Another_Critic
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

My guess...  They might be thinking of the old way of MTD, where you were required to pre-pay gratuities if you chose MTD.  However that requirement has been gone now for quite some time.

I think it’s also because you may end up having multiple waiters/assistant waiters so it’s easier to tip them all with auto gratuity in theory but the reality is no one really knows how Royal or any cruise line actually distributes tips.

Edited by wreckem2013
  • Thanks 1

On 11/26/2023 at 12:28 PM, nu_cruzer1 said:

On land based restaurants, I give my waiter the tip.  The waiter knows how or whether the tips will be divided up.  If management came to my table and told me to give them my tip so they can give it to the waiter, I would have questions/concerns about that.

As hundreds of times said, everything should be included in the fare (nice, clear, no discussion, transparency); you like it - you buy it, and here is the end of story.

• Like 2

On 11/27/2023 at 1:09 AM, bonsai3s said:

Currently onboard the Symphony... Gratuity Breakdown provided by Guest Services...before and after.

20231127_005645.jpg

This is the 4th one I've seen,  All with a different breakdown.

So $4.55 x 2 passengers x 7 days x 20 cabins x 52 weeks = an annual salary of $66,248.

$4.55 x 2 passengers x 7 days x 25 cabins x 52 weeks = an annual salary of $82,810.

Plus additional cash gratuity of $20/cabin (20) /week + $20,800

Plus additional cash gratuity of $50/cabin (20) /week + $52,000 + $82,810 = $134,810

Tell me again that they are underpaid.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

This is the 4th one I've seen,  All with a different breakdown.

So $4.55 x 2 passengers x 7 days x 20 cabins x 52 weeks = an annual salary of $66,248.

$4.55 x 2 passengers x 7 days x 25 cabins x 52 weeks = an annual salary of $82,810.

Plus additional cash gratuity of $20/cabin (20) /week + $20,800

Plus additional cash gratuity of $50/cabin (20) /week + $52,000 + $82,810 = $134,810

Tell me again that they are underpaid.

Thanks for running the numbers.  A few questions...

Are they working 52 weeks a year?  What's the normal contract?

Are they up to 20 cabins each now?

Also, even though it says so, we can't assume the stateroom attendant gets 100% of the gratuity for that category.  Who knows how much Royal skims

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Thanks for running the numbers.  A few questions...

Are they working 52 weeks a year?  What's the normal contract?

Are they up to 20 cabins each now?

Also, even though it says so, we can't assume the stateroom attendant gets 100% of the gratuity for that category.  Who knows how much Royal skims

Royal skims nothing.  Stop with this nonsense.

They work six months on.  But even with that, the amount they get paid is likely over the average US employee salary. 

And finally, that does not include their base pay.  This is why most of the staff renew their contract year after year.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

Royal skims nothing.  Stop with this nonsense.

They work six months on.  But even with that, the amount they get paid is likely over the average US employee salary. 

And finally, that does not include their base pay.  This is why most of the staff renew their contract year after year.

I'm sorry, but this simply isn't accurate.

I believe most contracts, outside of officer positions, are 9 month terms.

However, I agree with you 100%, they are most certainly NOT underpaid

Edited by not-enough-cruising

5 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I'm sorry, but this simply isn't accurate.

I believe most contracts, outside of officer positions, are 9 month terms.

However, I agree with you 100%, they are most certainly NOT underpaid

I stand by my numbers.  Not even the Captain works for 9 months.

6 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

You skew the numbers suggesting they work 52 weeks a year, and you want to tell me to stop the nonsense?  

…and how do we know that the workers get 100% of the $18 per person per day gratuity?  

You don't know that they don't, stop the nonsense.  You want to blame the big evil corporation.  Frequently, in any tipped environment, the company will deduct the CC bank interchange fee that every merchant pays.  No one really knows what they get because this is at least the 5th version I've seen.  But I'm convinced the numbers are correct and employees get 100%.  

I didn't skew the numbers; again, you are convinced RCI is out to screw their employees.  You have no proof, I stated fact in annual numbers.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, travelberlin said:

I have just seen this comparison of how much waiters make on cruise ships. Those are base salaries.

https://crew-center.com/cruise-lines-comparison-how-much-does-waiter-earn?fbclid=IwAR0I4A5qIGtjejB0Z4alLhy6y_wgTg7-QUfwyE4cYPmvLcWLpJOkZUr9EzY

Interesting. Do think that is a month or year?

7 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

Stop the nonsense. You have no facts yet you continue with the debate. 

I'm not sure if you were responding to me but if so, I didn't make any claims. I was simply asking you for sources for your statement that employees get 100% of the gratuities. Or is it just your opinion?

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, steveru621 said:

You want to blame the big evil corporation.

I didn't skew the numbers; again, you are convinced RCI is out to screw their employees.  You have no proof, I stated fact in annual numbers.

You seem to know more about how I feel about Royal than I do.  😂. You have no idea what I think. I have nothing against Royal.  I have always prepaid my gratuities and tipped additional cash on top of that to the stateroom attendant, wait staff, bar, staff, etc. You might do yourself a favor by not assuming things about people.

I did not say that Royal skims, I said, how do we know that they don’t? Too very different things. How do you know with absolute certainty that they don’t?

Your calculations are misleading.  Why base the numbers on 52 weeks when you know dang well that they work in nine month intervals.  At best, your numbers are 33% inflated versus reality.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, budmeister said:

Interesting. Do think that is a month or year?

I assume it is per month during their contract. I think contracts are per a certain number of months (4, 6, or 9). I would be too low if someone gets US 1800 for the whole 9 months (US 200 per month?). But this is just my guess. 

• Like 1