Breakdown of Gratuities since latest increase

“My colleague has not shown a scintilla of evidence that the company engaged in so called “skimming” or any other impropriety in their gratuity program.”

sorry I am going through the car wash at the moment and got reminded of Perry Mason. Some of y’all are (almost) as good!

20 hours ago, yogimax said:

So $14 per week for a seven night cruise “broke the camel’s back for many.”  

If that’s true, it seems like “many” should find a cheaper form of vacation.

I agree with you 100 percent. My view is if you can’t afford the gratuities, you can’t afford the cruise. I think people like not-enough-cruising try to cut corners everywhere possible so they can afford a cruise they other wise might not be able to afford. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I agree with you 100 percent. My view is if you can’t afford the gratuities, you can’t afford the cruise. I think people like not-enough-cruising try to cut corners everywhere possible so they can afford a cruise they other wise might not be able to afford. 

If it wasn't in poor taste I could go into the details of my financials, but rest assured, I can afford anything I want.

Those that attend to my needs (on a cruise, at a hotel, at a restaurant.......) are handsomely rewarded.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

It’s more than possible, they have all but admitted to it with the “other services” category on the official breakdown. 

On the Symphony, we asked 6 different guest services staff...who the "other services" are?

All of them said: "For crew members working in public areas...such as, restrooms, carpet cleaners, pool areas,..."

* I am just posting what was said to us. If you ask yourself, perhaps you'll get a different answer.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bonsai3s said:

On the Symphony, we asked 6 different guest services staff...who the "other services" are?

All of them said: "For crew members working in public areas...such as, restrooms, carpet cleaners, pool areas,..."

* I am just posting what was said to us. If you ask yourself, perhaps you'll get a different answer.

My point exactly, thank you.  These are NOT tipped positions. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

My point exactly, thank you.  These are NOT tipped positions. 

I’d have to say the people who clean the bathroom’s should be. I’ve unfortunately come across things that guests should have left tidier. 🤢

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

I’d have to say the people who clean the bathroom’s should be. I’ve unfortunately come across things that guests should have left tidier. 🤢

We’ve all seen those situations; but public spaces are the responsibility of the corporation, I think we can all agree. 

Edited by not-enough-cruising
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, not-enough-cruising said:

We’ve all seen those situations; but po loc spaces are the responsibility of the corporation 

True.

For some reason though, cleaning elevator buttons seems to be a a lot less catastrophic than raising the toilet bowl lid without wondering if Snow White or Jack Torrance was awaiting them. 

6 hours ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

But thats completely up to them and shouldnt they shouldnt be judged by others. Why should they tip if they havent received the service they wanted or expected  no one knows the reasons why and its no one else business. IMO. 

If someone says their service on a cruise was so bad that it didn’t deserve any tip, I would wonder if they were actually on an RCCL cruise.

Sure they can choose to withhold any tips but...

The justification to totally withhold tips is based on a totally self centered ego where everything is about me, myself and I.  Many folks, however, live by a different standard that involves love, concern and care for one’s neighbor, be they a room steward from the Philippines or a waiter from Indonesia.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, yogimax said:

If someone says their service on a cruise was so bad that it didn’t deserve any tip, I would wonder if they were actually on an RCCL cruise.

The justification to totally withhold tips is based on a totally self centered ego where everything is about me, myself and I.  Many folks, however, live by a different standard that involves love, concern and care for one’s neighbor, be they a room steward from the Philippines or a waiter from Indonesia.

Has anyone in this thread suggested totally withholding tips? I don't recall seeing that.

• Like 3

FWIW, I regret using the word "skims" earlier in this thread, "Who knows how much Royal skims?"  as it sort of conveys malicious intent on Royal's part. That's not what I was going for with that question.  I'm simply wondering if the total $18 per person per day goes fully to the workers.

Any sane person knows the answer to the question "Who knows how much Royal skims" could be ZERO.  Could be more than zero.  I'm not convinced either way that Royal does or does no distribute the full gratuity breakdown amount on those paper slips to the employees.

For now I'll keep doing the auto grats as I've done for 10+ years and tip extra cash as I see fit.  

Regardless, I'm not o.k. with a category of "other hotel services" on that gratuity list.  Roll that into the cruise cost and only have two categories, Stateroom Attendant and Dining Room.  At least we interact with them and they provide service directly to us.  That change alone would drop the auto grats to around $12 per person per day.  Yes, you would pay more in the base cruise fare to make up the difference, but I think that's a better way of handling that category.  My $0.02

• Like 5

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Lol. Gratuities are not going to break ANYONE that got on the cruise ship. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Has anyone in this thread suggested totally withholding tips? I don't recall seeing that.

I’m positive it happens.  Many of us remember the days of the half empty dining rooms on the final night as folks avoided the embarrassment of not paying any tips.  As a matter fact, I’ve seen no one on this board suggest what they consider to be an alternate tip to give or even what one person describes as their “generous” but never named tip.

25 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Maybe I missed it, but where did anyone on this thread advocate for withholding all tips??

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, yogimax said:

I’m positive it happens.  Many of us remember the days of the half empty dining rooms on the final night as folks avoided the embarrassment of not paying any tips.  As a matter fact, I’ve seen no one on this board suggest what they consider to be an alternate tip to give or even what one person describes as their “generous” but never named tip.

Anyone with an ounce of decorum would never mention a dollar amount that they have tipped in a public forum.

3 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Anyone with an ounce of decorum would never mention a dollar amount that they have tipped in a public forum.

Which makes their claims of being “generous” without context or meaning.

23 hours ago, yogimax said:

So $14 per week for a seven night cruise “broke the camel’s back for many.”  

If that’s true, it seems like “many” should find a cheaper form of vacation.

It's made me reexamine my thoughts on tipping: 

- We just had an increase ... last year?  And now this second increase so soon.  

- Coupled with a reduction in cabin service.  

- It's not $14/week.  It's $14/week for every member of your party.  

Yes, straw that broke the camel's back is the right phrase.  

I'll never stiff the crew -- I'm not one of the people pretending it's okay not to tip at all -- but I'm wondering how to proceed fairly without being a chump, and I never thought I'd think this way.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

It's made me reexamine my thoughts on tipping: 

- We just had an increase ... last year?  And now this second increase so soon.  

- Coupled with a reduction in cabin service.  

- It's not $14/week.  It's $14/week for every member of your party.  

Yes, straw that broke the camel's back is the right phrase.  

I'll never stiff the crew -- I'm not one of the people pretending it's okay not to tip at all -- but I'm wondering how to proceed fairly without being a chump, and I never thought I'd think this way.  

I really appreciate your use of the word "chump"; I think it is very apropos.

2 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

I have in the past handed a tip to someone in the ladies room. She was vigorously scrubbing the stainless steel paper towel holder. I commented on how hard she was scrubbing and  when she turned to tell me, I just felt terrible that she had to do this and gave her a tip. They all work so hard doing jobs that we don’t want to do

1 hour ago, Mum2Mercury said:

-- but I'm wondering how to proceed fairly without being a chump, and I never thought I'd think this way.  

Mum2Mercury...after over 30 years of cruising, exactly our sentiments.

We just spent 41 days onboard the Symphony. The gratuity increase (from $16 to $18) occurred during our time onboard...thus a lot of discussion amongst passengers.

Many of the crew members openly expressed their feelings about tips. Some even gave us suggestions. Guest Services also provided important information and assistance. Based on what they told us...we came up with a perfect solution...that works for us...and made the crew happy.

* My apologies, I am intentionally refraining from posting our perfect solution.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, bonsai3s said:

Mum2Mercury...after over 30 years of cruising, exactly our sentiments.

We just spent 41 days onboard the Symphony. The gratuity increase (from $16 to $18) occurred during our time onboard...thus a lot of discussion amongst passengers.

Many of the crew members openly expressed their feelings about tips. Some even gave us suggestions. Guest Services also provided important information and assistance. Based on what they told us...we came up with a perfect solution...that works for us...and made the crew happy.

* My apologies, I am intentionally refraining from posting our perfect solution.

Since you’re a well seasoned cruiser, I would be interested in your solution. In all the years I’ve cruised I’ve never thought about or paid attention to tip threads…but I have been lately. 
I feel we want to change what we’re doing but would welcome your ideas. 

edit…. Or if you really won’t share your ideas (which I hope you will) then share how you approached guest services so that they gave you the info you needed to make a decision 

Edited by lovesthebeach2
  • Like 2