Batteries

3 minutes ago, aftermidnight said:

Would like to know if we can bring Christmas decorations (battery operated) on Vision for our Dec. 2 nd cruise? Don’t want to make it, then find out it’s not allowed.  Thanks. Hope the ship is decorated when we board!

I have read on CC where others have. No matter the ship. 

We've sailed that first week in December, and the ship's been decorated -- quite lovely!  

Obviously I don't know what other people have had in their rooms, but I can't imagine why batter-powered decorations would be disallowed.  I mean, we're allowed to have other battery-powered items in cabins.  

11 minutes ago, aftermidnight said:

Would like to know if we can bring Christmas decorations (battery operated) on Vision for our Dec. 2 nd cruise? Don’t want to make it, then find out it’s not allowed.  Thanks. Hope the ship is decorated when we board!

I always travel with a set of battery operated string lights for my room never been an issue.   I use them as a mood lighting rather than having bright lights in the room while relaxing.     

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

However, I have read elsewhere (no idea if it's true or not) that they have to be lithium ion and you can only bring 2 in your carry-on.  You may want to ask Royal directly to be sure.

That is not true.  Where did you read that?  

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

Seen Battery operated Decorations on outside of Cabin doors for Halloween, Xmas, New Years, Valentines. Just dont ever use the self sticking Jello type colored Decorations. They bleed onto the Cabin doors permanently staining them with Orange Pumpkins, Turkeys with multicolored feathers, Red Valentine Hearts and Green Xmas Trees. Years later I see they are still visible on dozens of Serenade and Brilliance Doors. Some on here have even brought small Xmas Tress for their Cabins with Battery operated Lites

Edited by ONECRUISER

Hi ONECRUISER:  Thank you.  One Halloween we not only did our doors but just about half of the hall.  No lights, however, we had spider webs with a couple of spiders.  Every night when we returned to our room there they were, more spiders.  The crew were really enjoying themselves!

I always have AA and AAA batteries for my camera and other devices.  I usually board from a port stop with my camera (4 AAAs) and another 4 AAAs in my pocket (spares).  The only issue is when I forget to take them out before the scanner. I then put them thru the bag scanner, no issue.

Also, OP, anytime we have cruised Royal in December, the tree and decorations are already put up on the promenade. Last cruise we were on over Thanksgiving, they put them up on the day after Thanksgiving and had a lighting of the tree (Very big tree)

Edited by PigsCanFly

15 hours ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

I read it several places, here is just one example:

Reddit

I personally have never had a problem bringing rechargeable batteries on a cruise, but that was 10-20 years ago.

Nowadays, I bring cameras and such that use cables to recharge.

Reddit is hardly the authority on most topics.  Batteries are not anywhere on the banned list that Royal has on their website.   You can bring lithium or alkaline batteries  I have alkaline in my mouse and in my small flashlight.  I bring extras.   I go through security with extra AA batteries in my carryon (I also went through TSA twice in the last two weeks with them, although TSA doesn't apply to cruise ships).  There is no ban on batteries.  Now, if you tried to carry on a car or marine battery you might run into issues lol.  

Edited by BND
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

According to the Royal Caribbean FAQs, it looks like you can bring batteries onboard.  However, I have read elsewhere (no idea if it's true or not) that they have to be lithium ion and you can only bring 2 in your carry-on.  You may want to ask Royal directly to be sure.

Seriously? Have you read posts about some of the electronics people bring with them on cruises? They bring enough battery power with them to light up my house!😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I can't tell you how many different types of devices I've brought aboard RCCL ships.  Ranging from Laptops, speakers, drones (I carry 8 drone batteries), phones, Christmas decorations, kid's toys, etc etc.  Never a problem.  I've never heard/read anything about what type of battery is banned or not.  Only TSA has some minor restrictions for aircraft.  This is my experience.

21 hours ago, Cruise5life said:

I always travel with a set of battery operated string lights for my room never been an issue.   I use them as a mood lighting rather than having bright lights in the room while relaxing.     

We've brought battery-powered candles for the room /balcony.  Never thought of light strings, but it comes down to the same power.  Now we tend to bring glow sticks ... they give off a soft light and are 'just enough" in an interior cabin; if you want brighter lights, drop one into a glass of water. 

19 hours ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

According to the Royal Caribbean FAQs, it looks like you can bring batteries onboard.  However, I have read elsewhere (no idea if it's true or not) that they have to be lithium ion and you can only bring 2 in your carry-on.  You may want to ask Royal directly to be sure.

I am no battery expert and don't know what kind of batteries I have.  Regardless, the two rule doesn't seem true.  

13 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Just dont ever use the self sticking Jello type colored Decorations. 

Ick.  I bought some of those for my oldest child's graduation.  They looked nice on our glass front door, and I thought I'd carefully place them back on the paper and have them for subsequent grads -- nope, didn't realize 1) they fall apart when removed and 2) they stain -- well, no, discolor -- the glass.  Never bought such a product again.  

10 hours ago, PigsCanFly said:

I always have AA and AAA batteries for my camera and other devices.  I usually board from a port stop with my camera (4 AAAs) and another 4 AAAs in my pocket (spares). 

Yes, I strongly prefer cameras with batteries that can be changed /not recharged.  Going ashore, for example, it's easy to have a couple AAs in my bag ... it's harder to find a place to sit and recharge for a couple hours.  

20 hours ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

This sounds like some of the aviation restrictions of certain sizes of lithium ion batteries. Batteries and battery powered devices (with the exception of toothbrush and razor) must be carried in your carry on. There are size limits on those batteries. There is a maximum quantity based on the size. These are actually FAA regulations among other federal aviation safety regulators around the world. Basically batteries are a fire risk and they rather a fire not be in the baggage hold where it would not be extinguished as quickly. The battery size restrictions is those bigger than a standard laptop but smaller than a car battery.

a set of twinkle lights is not affect by FAA size restrictions. If you’re going to be flying however to port then put the batteries in your carry on.

1 hour ago, Mum2Mercury said:

We've brought battery-powered candles for the room /balcony.  Never thought of light strings, but it comes down to the same power.  Now we tend to bring glow sticks ... they give off a soft light and are 'just enough" in an interior cabin; if you want brighter lights, drop one into a glass of water. 

I am no battery expert and don't know what kind of batteries I have.  Regardless, the two rule doesn't seem true.  

Ick.  I bought some of those for my oldest child's graduation.  They looked nice on our glass front door, and I thought I'd carefully place them back on the paper and have them for subsequent grads -- nope, didn't realize 1) they fall apart when removed and 2) they stain -- well, no, discolor -- the glass.  Never bought such a product again.  

Yes, I strongly prefer cameras with batteries that can be changed /not recharged.  Going ashore, for example, it's easy to have a couple AAs in my bag ... it's harder to find a place to sit and recharge for a couple hours.  

I have cameras that use rechargeable batteries.  I simply buy a spare battery.  Have both of them fully charged before leaving the ship.  I have very rarely needed the backup battery and I take a lot of photographs.

53 minutes ago, gatour said:

I have cameras that use rechargeable batteries.  I simply buy a spare battery.  Have both of them fully charged before leaving the ship.  I have very rarely needed the backup battery and I take a lot of photographs.

I completely agree with this strategy. Plus honestly a smart phone will take better pictures than a camera that takes AA batteries. That type of camera isn’t even worth carrying really.

I don’t carry a second battery anymore because I’ll just switch to my phone. My fully charged battery on my DSLR can take over 4 hours of continuous video. A flash can suck up a good amount of power but it’s easy and cheaper to carry an external light. Plus that light is a great flashlight if there is an emergency, can be used for video calls, lighting at an angle etc.

I always bring a string of LED Xmas lights when I cruise in December (and have them packed already for next month).   And yes, the pack of batteries to operate them.  Though I never put them on the balcony.....inside cabin only.  

Funny story one year...attendant came in and saw my string of lights in the cabin and told us we were not allowed to have them.  I had her walk over to touch the LED lights (no heat) and she told us indeed they were allowed.