Thoughts, impressions, and observations for the World Cruise.

2 hours ago, Jenna said:

I wonder what would happen if a full WCer got pregnant during the first few months. Would Royal kick them off? I ask this as I am rocking my 4 month old cruise souvenir to sleep 🙂

Yes.

2 hours ago, schooner_Drinker said:

Would there be anyone young enough on the WC to try and test the waters 😉

Nancy 

Also yes.

2 hours ago, BND said:

I doubt there's any woman of childbearing age doing the entire WC.  The photos I've seen of the gala dinner for the WCers didn't exactly seem to have anyone under 50 lol.  

Yes, there are.

22 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Yes.

Also yes.

Yes, there are.

I found that out after I posted.  I'm amazed at some of the people who can afford to take their family on a cruise like this.  I saw the ages range from 2-87.  When our kids were 2, we barely had enough money to go to the beach for a weekend lol.   

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, island lady said:

Thanks!  🙂 I had a balcony.   I bid just over minimum for the GS.  All along had been told the JS cabins and up were solidly sold out, even from the very beginning by full WC pax.  And checking every month confirmed it...even to the end.  

Bucky was not interested in going into a JS...wanted to go all the way to GS (our favorite class of cabin)...so we both laughed at the thought.  Was for sure that was never going to happen.  But took the bait anyway...what the heck?  

I guess never say never.  😉 

What was the number $$$ just over the Minimum on a 62 day cruise per person to get the Royal Up... By saying just over the Minimum really doesn't tell us anything so it can help other's when bidding  on the last 3 segments.

• Haha 1

On 12/10/2023 at 8:59 PM, Luckynana said:

We are Snowbirds.  When we are closing our Condo for 7 months to head back North, we turn off the water, put bleach in our toilets, and cover the toilet bowl with plastic wrap.  No need to flush toilets, water remains in our toilets.😉

We do the same when we close up our shore house for the winter.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BND said:

I doubt there's any woman of childbearing age doing the entire WC.  The photos I've seen of the gala dinner for the WCers didn't exactly seem to have anyone under 50 lol.  

But, as the rules for pregnancy are strictly enforced, I'm guessing they would send them home prior to the cutoff of 23 weeks.  They can't really give any exceptions because it's a medical/liability issue.

DH and I were talking about the cost earlier and how our CFP would react if we said we needed 6 figures from our accounts to go on this cruise.   You know, hitting up the principle and all.  

There are some parents travelling with their young children so you never know they could have a WC pregnancy.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BND said:

I doubt there's any woman of childbearing age doing the entire WC. 

You'd be surprised. There's at least 5 women in their 20's and 30s that i've seen on social media who are on the whole cruise.

In this age of influencers and digital workers its entirely possible to do a cruise like this and even have it pay for itself. 

Edited by chrisb74
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, chrisb74 said:

You'd be surprised. There's at least 5 women in their 20's and 30s that i've seen on social media who are on the whole cruise.

In this age of influencers and digital workers its entirely possible to do a cruise like this and even have it pay for itself. 

Well, the reality is, most people doing social media don't make that much money.  That's the problem with some (younger) people thinking they can do it full time and make a lot of money, but that's just not true for the vast majority.   They think "I don't have to go to college or learn a trade.  I'll just post pictures and videos.  It's more than a full time job for those that are really successful and even most of them have other passive incomes.  Most likely, the younger cruisers have inherited or have high paying mobile careers.  They are the exception by a long shot.  You still have to come up with the cost up front.  I would love to find out how many borrowed money or withdrew from retirement/401 accounts.  I'm not talking the retirees.  I'm talking the 20 and 30 somethings.  My boys and their wives (late 30's) make very good money (200K+) but neither can come up with what the WC costs without borrowing.  It's just a curiosity for me.  DH and I could easily afford to do it, but being gone 9 months doesn't really have the appeal for us.  

Asking for info on how much winning bids are is very common on CC and on other sites, so not sure why it's such a big deal.

Edited by BND
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, island lady said:

Thanks!  Cleared up enough by 10 am for our "walk about with Coco Loco".  😉  Did our usual walk to favorite bar at South Beach.  Lunch at Chill Grill (fresh tacos....Mmmmm...) an ice cream cone for the walk back to the ship.  

When we were there 2weeks ago wife did not feel well so I did the same as you walked the island, but I had a crispy chicken sandwich and 2 ice cream cones on walk back.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, BND said:

Well, the reality is, most people doing social media don't make that much money. 

I agree that 99.999% of people don't make much, but the reality is there are people earning 6 figures per month on social media. 

One woman i saw was 37, had both parents die of cancer at 65, had cancer markers and had a double mastectomy. She has decided retirement will never happen so just do retirement things now. You can't take it with you! 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, chrisb74 said:

I agree that 99.999% of people don't make much, but the reality is there are people earning 6 figures per month on social media. 

One woman i saw was 37, had both parents die of cancer at 65, had cancer markers and had a double mastectomy. She has decided retirement will never happen so just do retirement things now. You can't take it with you! 

Oh yes you can. That's what wills are for. 😈

Edited by doghog
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, BND said:

I found that out after I posted.  I'm amazed at some of the people who can afford to take their family on a cruise like this.  I saw the ages range from 2-87.  When our kids were 2, we barely had enough money to go to the beach for a weekend lol.   

There are people on the full UWC who sold their houses and cars in preparation for this cruise.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Wow, that's kind of sad. 😞

I would portray it more as scary. I don't know what I'd do when the cruise ends.  Change can be scary but not necessarily bad and certainly not sad for those who want to take the leap. It is just not something I'd be interested in doing.

• Like 12

7 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

There are people on the full UWC who sold their houses and cars in preparation for this cruise.

I hope it's worth it to them.  Once the cruise is over, then what?  That is so short sighted.

Edited by BND
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Why?  Because they choose to move on to a different phase of their lives?

It's great if that is what you really want to do, but after 274 days life goes on. I just wouldn't want to give up what I have living differently after the vacation ends. More power to them if that is what they want to do. I still would hope not many went that route.

4 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I would portray it more as scary. I don't know what I'd do when the cruise ends.  Change can be scary but not necessarily bad and certainly not sad for those who want to take the leap.

Agree, to many unknowns  after the cruise to find out just how it would be.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BND said:

I hope it's worth it to them.  Once the cruise is over, then what?  That is so short sighted.

My guess is they would buy another house/condo/houseboat/RV....Or rent...or move in with family...or keep on booking cruises ala Super Mario.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

My guess is they would buy another house/condo/houseboat/RV....Or rent...or move in with family...or keep on booking cruises ala Super Mario.

If they sold to pay for the cruise, what money would they use then?  I can't imagine telling family "I spent all my money on a cruise, can I live with you?".  I'm just trying to figure out.  I don't need "devils's advocates guessing.  It's a legitimate question when someone sells everything they own to go on a 9 month cruise.

Edited by BND

2 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

For you, maybe.  For them, a carefully considered decision.

If I was of retirement age, that is exactly what I would do! I would take the opportunity to downsize completely, stockpile all the proceeds, and when the cruise is over... start fresh in a condo or very small home, with minimal maintenance and upkeep. Sounds perfect to me.

• Like 19

1 minute ago, Mikew0805 said:

If I was of retirement age, that is exactly what I would do! I would take the opportunity to downsize completely, stockpile all the proceeds, and when the cruise is over... start fresh in a condo or very small home, with minimal maintenance and upkeep. Sounds perfect to me.

Not everyone has the equity to do that.  We do and we're retired.  We sold our previous home, downsized (5500 sq ft to 3800) and have no mortgage but if we sold our house now and went on this cruise, we'd have to really downsize.  I'm just curious about people's mindsets and what their plans are.   I don't get the defense of people that others don't know.  I want real life info. 

2 minutes ago, BND said:

If they sold to pay for the cruise, what money would they use then?  I can't imagine telling family "I spent all my money on a cruise, can I live with you?".  I'm just trying to figure out.  I don't need "devils's advocates guessing.

My family would gladly take me in, wouldn't even have to ask. Well, except for maybe one sister...but more importantly, you've mistakenly assumed they spent ALL their money on the cruise. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1