Crystal Food & Wine - & general info?

Alsun

5 hours ago, Helene1111 said:

Is the conversion to beef bar definitely occurring in June? Thanks! 

My recollection is “this summer”.

8 hours ago, Helene1111 said:

Is the conversion to beef bar definitely occurring in June? Thanks! 

That is what we were told by one of the rotating cast of "Maitre D's" the first time we went there for lunch. Apparently planning a "significant" redesign of the Tastes space, at least on Symphony.

I must really be an outlier here, but I loved Tastes on Serenity (both the food and the venue).  So much variety at lunch and dinner.  However, the new Beefbar concept sounds fun.  Just keep a little bit of Tastes as well, please. 

PS:  I hate the name.  I know it's a European thing, but it's unappetizing.  

Bill

• Like 1

Bill, the good news is that the do plan to keep some dishes from old Tastes and combine with the new ones.  

The good news is that New Crystal has shown they listen such as updating the dinner menu at Osteria.

I am glad they have been adding their own touches to the product. Old Crystal always evolved (I remember when the original Tastes on Serenity) served some basic items at dinner with limited choices before it evolved.  

As to the date, time will tell.  Sometimes it take longer than people think as details are all worked out including the sourcing of the ingredients for the new items not to mention training, any new equipment needed, signage, etc.  Nice to have something new to look forward to.

Keith

• Like 7

Keith,

Will Crystal start publishing the names of dance hosts, professional dance couples (used to be two)  along with shows and enrichment lectures as OC did?

If not, how to find out?

It would be very helpful and something to look forward to.

Thanks!

4 hours ago, Sdancer said:

Keith,

Will Crystal start publishing the names of dance hosts, professional dance couples (used to be two)  along with shows and enrichment lectures as OC did?

If not, how to find out?

It would be very helpful and something to look forward to.

Thanks!

They are providing information including entertainers and enrichment lecturers, but not as extensive as before in terms of some of the positions shown. With that said I don't believe other lines publish what they do.  To find it, go to the itinerary of the voyage, click on ship overview and scroll down.  This link will take you to an example of what is provided.

https://www.crystalcruises.com/cruises/none-cse-011-240505?menu=ship_overview

Keith

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keith1010 said:

They are providing information including entertainers and enrichment lecturers, but not as extensive as before in terms of some of the positions shown. With that said I don't believe other lines publish what they do.  To find it, go to the itinerary of the voyage, click on ship overview and scroll down.  This link will take you to an example of what is provided.

Keith

IMHO C should add captain , hotel director and CD

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Keith

Thank you but it was not completely helpful: :(.

I went to my cruise page and clicked on the "Ship Overview" , and there were 5 speakers  under for this SHIP but not for my sailing though it was under my sailing. How strange and not helpful!

I clicked on each name only to find that none of them are on my cruise though my cruise is less than 3 months away. I am sure that all the contracts already had finalized by that time with dance hosts and shows even well before the final payment.

I know that it could not be true but "SHIP OVERVIEW" that mine and some (many) other cruises do not have any enrichment lecturers. This format is not logical and not user-friendly.

You are correct that not all cruise lines publish all the information but many do, and OC always, always did.

OC published all the detailed information per each cruise.

Why NC did not continue with this tradition if it aims to be better?  

This information should be a part of a quality of customer service, not just food, cabins and attentive crew. 

I am not trying to be over critical, just disappointed.

I have fond memories how OC was organized.

I hope that NC finds this information as an important part of customer service and brings it back from OC.

NC knows all the programming details with less than 3 months before sailing, why not to share?

Thanks again!

Edited by Sdancer

17 minutes ago, Sdancer said:

Thank you but it was not completely helpful: :(.

I went to my cruise page and clicked on the "Ship Overview" , and there were 5 speakers  under for this SHIP but not for my sailing though it was under my sailing. How strange and not helpful!

I clicked on each name only fund that none of them are on my cruise though my is less than 3 months away. I am sure that all the contracts already had finalized by that time with dance hosts and shows even well before the final payment.

I know that it could not be true but "SHIP OVERVIEW" that mine and some (many) other cruises do not have any enrichment lecturers. This format is not logical and not user-friendly.

You are correct that not all cruise lines publish all the information but many do, and OC always, always did.

OC published all the detailed information per each cruise.

Why NC did not continue with this tradition if it aims to be better?  

This information should be a part of a quality of customer service, not just food, cabins and attentive crew. 

I am not trying to be over critical, just disappointed.

I have fond memories how OC was organized.

I hope that NC finds this information as an important part of customer service and brings it back from OC.

NC knows all the programming details with less than 3 months sailing, why not to share?

Thanks again!

I hear you and wish it was possible but as I have come to learn it is very labor intensive.  I would note this on your survey though.  

I am happy that at least NC was receptive to publish some of this. As you note, there have been some mistakes such as the ones you mentioned.  I think of some of this as a work in progress. Some features were not available when new Crystal was launched or some were limited such as initially being able to make reservations far closer to the cruise than it is now.

Wishing you a wonderful cruise. The great news is that so much of the on-board experience is as it was but IMHO it has been enhanced. That is not to say that everyone will like everything including the changes.  

Suggestion. I find on-board guest services extremely helpful.  For your cruise I would write to them and see if they can answer your questions about dance ambassadors, who the Captain, Cruise Director and Restaurant Manager will be.  E-Mail is obgs@crystalcruises.com

Keith

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

Suggestion. I find on-board goest services extremely helpful.  For your cruise I would write to them and see if they can answer your questions about dance ambassadors, who the Captain, Cruise Director and Restaurant Manager will be.  E-Mail is obgs@crystalcruises.com

Keith

Keith,

Thank you so much for the link to guest services!!! I will contact them.

• Like 1

I'm on Symphony now and nothing is happening to a Tastes redo as I write.  Two dishes I love are the Gambas Al Ajillo and the Hamachi Crudo.  I mentioned these to the waiter and he said those are the two dishes people want to keep - oh, and the Mongolian Lamb Chops.  Others are good, but these are great!

As an additional comment, in the Osteria, I liked the Melanzana (very tasty) and the Salt Baked Sea Bass in Tarragon Sauce (sublime). So I have no issues with that specialty restaurant.  For others in our group of 7, it was a hit and miss. Most all have sophisticated palates.

• Like 5

Well ok, to each his own. I book Crystal for the cuisine. The Hotel Director, Cruise Director and Mâitre D’ are never going to influence my cruise choices. I’m more interested in the enrichment lectures and itinerary. I’d like to see some new evening entertainment, though. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Cruise-y said:

Well ok, to each his own. I book Crystal for the cuisine. The Hotel Director, Cruise Director and Mâitre D’ are never going to influence my cruise choices. I’m more interested in the enrichment lectures and itinerary. I’d like to see some new evening entertainment, though. 

I'm in the same boat...  That info was always so subject to change, I can't imagine ever making plans based heavily on that.  The officer info was generally more stable than the entertainers, but even then I has several cruises over the years, around the timing if the "shift change" that flipped from one officer to the other as it got closer and plans were finalized.  The entertainer (outside of the residents) and lecturer info was always a moving target -- the vast majority of my cruises didn't get completely finalized until about 7-14 days out from the cruise.  It was helpful to get excited about the cruise, and give a general idea, but I repeatedly had lecturers I was looking forward to drop off close to the cruise, or others get added.  It's just the nature of the beast.

Vince

• Like 6

On 4/24/2024 at 2:50 AM, TER777 said:

The hours vary depending on the guest count. The more guests, the earlier the start of dining.  The dance hours are generally a set before dinner. A set after dinner, pre-show, and more dancing after the show. 

Ter,

Have you been on the Serenity in the past several months?  You seem to be the dancing maven!

32 minutes ago, ivyleaguegent said:

Ter,

Have you been on the Serenity in the past several months?  You seem to be the dancing maven!

No, I haven’t. I’m a Symphony person. That said, I will be on Serenity late June for San Diego to 2nd Vancouver. Celebrations: two birthday parties and a retirement party. 

• Like 5

I can’t seem to find any information about how late the restaurants are open at night, specifically Umi Uma. We have an excursion that arrives back to the ship fairly late and not sure what the dining options are other than room service?

5 minutes ago, lindsay_claire said:

I can’t seem to find any information about how late the restaurants are open at night, specifically Umi Uma. We have an excursion that arrives back to the ship fairly late and not sure what the dining options are other than room service?

Is it a Crystal excursion? If so, I'd expect there to be some arrangement for dinner for you all if you arrive back post dining hours.

Dinner start and end times are dependent in part on the number of guests so have not been the same from one cruise to the next when the numbers change. There have been a number of Reflections posted in various threads. Look on the back page for dining hours.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, lindsay_claire said:

As mentioned, the closing time will vary based on loading.  With medium to high occupancy likely 9:30 PM and if low occupancy likely 9:00 PM. This represents the times they take the last reservation, so this won't likely be an option for you with a 9:30 pm arrival to the ship.

Due to that time and it being a Crystal excursion Crystal will likely have something arranged for all of your returning from tour.  

You can check with on board guest services on this one at:  obgs@crystalcruises.com

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, lindsay_claire said:

Thanks for your response. Yes, it’s a Crystal excursion that arrives back at 9:30 pm. I will check the Reflections but good to know that there will probably be some dinner arrangement. 

I predict a lovely buffet in the Crystal Cove area in front of reception will welcome you back.

Have a wonderful time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, May B said:

I predict a lovely buffet in the Crystal Cove area in front of reception will welcome you back.

Have a wonderful time.

Thank you Keith and May. I guess I should know after going on several Crystal cruises that they will not let me starve (-:  

• Like 3