Crystal Food & Wine - & general info?

Alsun

Hello,

We are considering booking a cruise with Crystal. We are still relatively new to cruise holidays, think we have done just under 10 cruises so far, which have been with Azamara, Celebrity, Cunard and Viking.

We are wondering how Crystal compares to these lines, specifically food wise.  We always mix up eating at restaurants, speciality dining and buffet. I searched for some menus, and found some on the Crystal website but only for the Waterside - which I believe is the main restaurant, and a sample menu for Umi Uma, but not much more.  Does anyone have any photos of menus and also the wine list? And perhaps also of the room service one?

And did I understand correctly that the buffet is closed at night? (I have to confess that we quite like strolling along the buffet late at night, and having a late night snack... hmmm maybe it's a good thing that it is not available? )

Is there anything else which would be good to know as (potential) Crystal newbies? We (I) like dressing up for the formal nights on Cunard so am hoping that the dress code is a bit similar with Crystal, whilst relaxed during the day /on non formal nights. We are not that much bothered with entertainment (shows etc) but do like lectures. 

thanks!

Alsun

Just get on the boat.

All the meals are fantastic.

The service is awesome.

All it takes is one trip for you to be Crystalized.

You can dress up as much as you like or not.

Room service is open 24/7, especially enjoy a Turkey club at midnight

The spirits and wines that are included are quite satisfying, if you want super alcohol brands, just ask.

G

• Like 6

I'm going to offer up fellow member @rafinmd's blog as one of the most comprehensive and recent collections of Crystal menus I've seen...  With the exception of the Italian venue, now Osteria d'Ovidio with a completely new tasing menu concept, and the return of Tastes which was previously only offered on one ship and has returned after a gap starting in the late 2010's, there hasn't been a radical change in any of the menus from Crystal's previous life.

Here's the direct link to the most recent Crystal menu page of Roy's blog:  https://morethangetaways.wordpress.com/crystalmenus2023/

Regarding late night snacks, besides room service, there's a snack service in several venues (usually the Avenue Saloon, Crystal Code, and night club, or similar), usually between 11:00pm and midnight or so, with items served from trays.  Once upon a time Crystal did late night buffets, but it just seemed obsolete for the demand and the type of eating people were doing, and those were modernized almost 20 years ago.  I used to go to those buffets, but I honestly don't miss them at all -- mostly because I'm often now asleep by then, which probably explains part of the shift.  🙂 

Hope this helps!

Vince

Edited by BWIVince
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I have not been on any of the lines you have experienced, but from what I've heard from other Crystal cruisers who have experienced one or several of them, Crystal is head and shoulders above most and at least noticeably better than any of them. The food and beverages (all included except very premium labels) is included and the service is top notch. Also, the entertainment and enrichment is much better quality and quantity than you might expect on a ship with as few passengers as you find on Crystal.

No evening buffet, but I don't think anyone misses it. Crystal is not as formal as Cunard, but you can dress up on "formal optional" evenings. Minimum standard on those evenings men need to wear a jacket but a tie is optional. You'll see everything on men on those evenings from a blazer with dress slacks and a dress shirt, no tie, to tuxedos. See that you're British, so I know you call those pieces of clothing something else, but guess you know what I mean! 😉

I don't think you would be disappointed with Crystal.

Patty

• Like 3

Not a great photo, but this was the Captain’s Reception last night on a 7 night Serenity cruise.  As I understand it, 7 night cruises have no formal night.  This was officially a “casual” night, but many dressed for the occasion. The dance hosts wore tuxedos and some of the ladies wore gowns (and jewels!).  I wore a blazer, slacks, shirt, no tie and felt very comfortable.  As to the food question, I think it’s fabulous. And the crew is marvelous.  Very happy to be sailing Crystal!

Bill

IMG_9532.jpeg

• Like 5

Thank you all for your helpful replies, we are just looking at some final details but hope to be sailing with Crystal in 2024!

(Texas Tillie/Patty, we Brits call it a dinner jacket)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Recent Symphony sailing: The Mozart tea is back,  now known as the Viennese tea without the costumes. We also had chocolate teatime. There were also several new themed luncheon buffets in MP including Filipino, Indonesian and churrascaria. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

12 hours ago, TER777 said:

Recent Symphony sailing: The Mozart tea is back,  now known as the Viennese tea without the costumes. We also had chocolate teatime. There were also several new themed luncheon buffets in MP including Filipino, Indonesian and churrascaria. 

Thanks Tracey. Glad to see the naff costumes have finally gone. How did the churrascaria buffet work, bearing in mind the usual red/green disk concept ? Great to have such an increased variety of offerings.

• Like 1

I’m writing this on the Serenity now, and the food this week has been nothing short of spectacular. Truly exceptional. And we just booked two more weeks as a result. 

The one point I’d like to emphasize is how incredible Waterside is, and sometimes overlooked given the quality of the other restaurants. First, Waterside is beautiful, elegant and comfortable. And of course, so welcoming. But even more importantly, the menus and execution are stunning. The menus change nightly, with enough choice to accommodate anyone, but small enough so that the quality is incredibly high. I actually think if it were a land-based restaurant, they’d compete for a Michelin star. Certainly the service is at that level. There’s some legit talent in that kitchen - enough so that I think it’s on par quality wise with Umi Uma and D’Davido, both of which are incredible as well.  

I’d also note that Crystal service makes the dining experience even that much better. The genuine warmth, kindness and welcoming nature of the entire crew is just an unbeatable combination.  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

• 4 months later...

Azamara used to be our go to line until we discovered Crystal. No comparison, AZ is a premium line but Crystal is ultra premium. Crystal is more expensive but a better value for our money. We enjoy good food, wine, enrichment and entertainment and Crystal is several notches above in all four lMHO.

• Like 3

On 12/7/2023 at 7:23 AM, kool kruiser said:

Thanks Tracey. Glad to see the naff costumes have finally gone. How did the churrascaria buffet work, bearing in mind the usual red/green disk concept ? Great to have such an increased variety of offerings.

Sorry, I missed this. 

No red/green; you just make as many trips to the buffet as you wish. Seemed to work just fine.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, CA Oceanfront said:

Where might I find a photo of the room service breakfast menu? Thank you.

I don't have one but I can attest to a WIDE variety of breakfast items, at least as many as you would fine in the  finest hotels and served in style!

Edited by Txcotn
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 12/5/2023 at 7:37 AM, BWIVince said:

I'm going to offer up fellow member @rafinmd's blog as one of the most comprehensive and recent collections of Crystal menus I've seen...  With the exception of the Italian venue, now Osteria d'Ovidio with a completely new tasing menu concept, and the return of Tastes which was previously only offered on one ship and has returned after a gap starting in the late 2010's, there hasn't been a radical change in any of the menus from Crystal's previous life.

Here's the direct link to the most recent Crystal menu page of Roy's blog:  https://morethangetaways.wordpress.com/crystalmenus2023/

Hope this helps!

Vince

Vince, thank you for menus.

The Tastes menu and hours have changed. The Dinner is too late, from 7-9 pm, which is my ballroom dancing time. The Taste dinner at OC used to start at 6 pm or 5:30 pm. 

Disappointing :(.

Edited by Sdancer

47 minutes ago, Sdancer said:

The Tastes menu and hours have changed. The Dinner is too late, from 7-9 pm, which is my ballroom dancing time. The Taste dinner at OC used to start at 6 pm or 5:30 pm. 

The hours vary depending on the guest count. The more guests, the earlier the start of dining.  The dance hours are generally a set before dinner. A set after dinner, pre-show, and more dancing after the show. 

• Like 2

I have found the dinner hours on the cruises we have been on so far to be the same as they were with old Crystal.  Maybe on some of the very low loaded cruises they adjusted them but not on the ones we have been on and given it appears that occupancy will rise this summer it should be as it was before.

Since start up I've only sailed on Serenity but we have cruises also booked for Symphony this year.

All of our Tastes reservations since start up have been at 6:30 PM when tastes opens and that is the same on our upcoming cruises that we have recently booked. Other specialty restaurant hours are the same and Waterside dining was the same as well.  

Keith

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sdancer said:

Please read TER777's post. She is a dancer and is out on the floor almost always when the band is playing and the Ambassador Hosts are available for the ladies to partner on the dance floor.

Patty

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

I have found the dinner hours on the cruises we have been on so far to be the same as they were with old Crystal.  Maybe on some of the very low loaded cruises they adjusted them but not on the ones we have been on and given it appears that occupancy will rise this summer it should be as it was before.

Since start up I've only sailed on Serenity but we have cruises also booked for Symphony this year.

All of our Tastes reservations since start up have been at 6:30 PM when tastes opens and that is the same on our upcoming cruises that we have recently booked. Other specialty restaurant hours are the same and Waterside dining was the same as well.  

Keith

Were you able to make reservations for Tastes prior to boarding on your upcoming cruises? We could only reserve the two specialty restaurants for our upcoming Symphony cruise in July. 

3 minutes ago, Jimmycruiser said:

Were you able to make reservations for Tastes prior to boarding on your upcoming cruises? We could only reserve the two specialty restaurants for our upcoming Symphony cruise in July. 

Yes on every cruise including our next two.

Keith 

9 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

Yes on every cruise including our next two.

Keith 

How did you do this? When I log in, It only allows me to select and reserve the two specialty restaurants. Tastes is listed as open seating. I can not find where it allows me to reserve Tastes which we would like to do.

43 minutes ago, Jimmycruiser said:

How did you do this? When I log in, It only allows me to select and reserve the two specialty restaurants. Tastes is listed as open seating. I can not find where it allows me to reserve Tastes which we would like to do.

Interesting. I just tried it. Serenity lists Tastes as reservable; Symphony does not. Is this a website error or deliberate?

9 hours ago, Jimmycruiser said:

I guess based on Tracie's comments that I've been able to do this as I am booked on Serenity and the ability to do this is not for Symphony bookings. I have a message out to Crystal to see if this has been intentionally done or a systems issue.  

Keith

• Like 1

On 4/24/2024 at 6:47 PM, sullaRaffaello said:

Got off the Symphony last month. All venues ended dining at 8:30 PM, the earliest I've ever seen on any ship I've ever been on.

We got off Symphony two days ago and all dining venues were open until 9:30.

As an FYI, except for the night of the Passover seder, you could have fired a canon through Tastes at any time during the evening with little risk of hitting someone, and it is a much smaller venue than on Serenity. The BeefBar conversion in June may change that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1