Just a Question: Would you support "no cell phone" areas on Ships?

Bluewake

4 hours ago, dlh015 said:

I kid you not...so have I...

This has just reminded me of the time we were at Circular Quay in Sydney singing the Wheels on the Bus to our Grandson over Skype and around 20 "locals" gathered round and joined in. 

But not on the ship where our cell phones etc are only used in the cabin.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, critic2023 said:

I think they should only be banned during theater performances. I agree etiquette is lacking sometimes (you do not ever need to be on speakerphone in a public setting), but it is possible to quietly and respectfully use your phone pretty much anywhere else.

In the dining room?   Specialty restaurants?

12 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

Going on first Windstar cruise in Jan.  Here is what they say on the topic in their Setting Sail brochure.   I was pleased with these guidelines.

Cell Phone Service
In order to maintain Windstar’s atmosphere of casual elegance
and intimate retreat, we ask guests to consider the following cell
phone courtesy guidelines:
• Cell phone service is intended primarily for guests’ use in the
privacy of their own stateroom or suite.
• Talking on cell phones is discouraged in public areas such as
dining areas or lounges, and guests are asked to set their
phone’s ringer to vibrate when in public areas

Now this I really like.  ^^^

• Like 2

10 hours ago, critic2023 said:

I think they should only be banned during theater performances. I agree etiquette is lacking sometimes (you do not ever need to be on speakerphone in a public setting), but it is possible to quietly and respectfully use your phone pretty much anywhere else.

It's called texting.

Edited by doghog

13 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

Going on first Windstar cruise in Jan.  Here is what they say on the topic in their Setting Sail brochure.   I was pleased with these guidelines.

Cell Phone Service
In order to maintain Windstar’s atmosphere of casual elegance
and intimate retreat, we ask guests to consider the following cell
phone courtesy guidelines:
• Cell phone service is intended primarily for guests’ use in the
privacy of their own stateroom or suite.
• Talking on cell phones is discouraged in public areas such as
dining areas or lounges, and guests are asked to set their
phone’s ringer to vibrate when in public areas

We have been party to multiple Facetime calls on our recent sailings in the Retreat lounge,  MDR and Oceanview.

No, I would not support a ban.  I would encourage X, and other lines, including something like the above in the bundle of papers found in your cabin at time of boarding and in the daily activity repost.

2 minutes ago, Traveling Fools said:

No, I would not support a ban.  I would encourage X, and other lines, including something like the above in the bundle of papers found in your cabin at time of boarding and in the daily activity repost.

But that didn't mention any type of ban.  

BTW, Amelia Island is one of my favorite areas...beautiful. 

Edited by PTC DAWG

A loud conversation or children can cause as much noise and disturbance as a cell phone conversation. I don't think the cell phone itself is the problem unless people are playing videos or music without headphones. And it's a little unfair to be annoyed that you found a quiet spot to relax and someone ruined it with their loud conversation. They also found a quite place to have a conversation where they disturbed the least amount of people.

I could be on board with a "quiet area", But it should apply across the board. No music, phones, loud talking, kids running around, etc.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jelayne said:

I have not been "required" to fill in departure info on my phone.  Just got off 10 days ago and did not have to fill out any departure info.

The option to fill in departure info has been available on Carnival, Celebrity and Royal in the past year on their respective apps.  

21 hours ago, Bluewake said:

At the risk of sounding petty...

We just returned from a short Celebrity cruise that was wonderful in most ways other than one exception.  In four days, we encountered 6-7 situations in which we found a quiet place to relax but, within a few minutes, someone a few chairs away was on their cell phone engaging in one or more of three behaviors:  (1) talking very loudly...really loudly;  (2) using the speaker on the cell phone to hear the other party...many such exchanges seemed to involved "facetiming"; (3) watching videos on their phone with the speaker at max setting.  These were not emergencies in any way.  I know that because the entire conversation from both parties was clearly audible to everyone within a 10-20 foot radius.  And, at no time, did the party on the ship seem to be concerned that they might be bothering anyone. 

It's hard to believe we are the only cruisers who find this somewhat disturbing but I have to acknowledge the possibility that others simply aren't bothered by it.  If so, it's my problem.   However, it got me thinking.  If cruise lines can have smoking and non-smoking areas, why not have certain areas where cell phone conversations are not permitted and videos/music can only be watched with earphones?   Of course, nobody cares if someone is texting...it's the noise polution that is the issue for some of us.

So...am I being a curmudgeon and unreasonable?

There is the library on some ships, some of the lounges, the outside promenades, upper decks in front of ships, your room..  Husband and I usually go to these spots with our electronics and headphones and have no issues in 30 plus cruises.  I think as a few have pointed out, the problem is not utilizing headphones.  Only time I remember us getting loud was watching an Eagles game on the top deck with our headphones and cheering at a touchdown.  We apologized to the gentleman who we woke up and went to our cabin to watch remaining game.  Sometimes, you just forget but we quickly rectified situation.  We didn't realize anyone was near us.  I must say he was pretty gracious.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

There is the library on some ships, some of the lounges, the outside promenades, upper decks in front of ships, your room..  Husband and I usually go to these spots with our electronics and headphones and have no issues in 30 plus cruises.  I think as a few have pointed out, the problem is not utilizing headphones.  Only time I remember us getting loud was watching an Eagles game on the top deck with our headphones and cheering at a touchdown.  We apologized to the gentleman who we woke up and went to our cabin to watch remaining game.  Sometimes, you just forget but we quickly rectified situation.  We didn't realize anyone was near us.  I must say he was pretty gracious.

That may cover personal listening but doesn't cover phone/video calls; some people are quieter when talking on speaker vs headphones also

However, none of this bothers me; this idea won't happen as at best, there will be more specific cell phone usage language under the cruise contract code of conduct

54 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

A loud conversation or children can cause as much noise and disturbance as a cell phone conversation. I don't think the cell phone itself is the problem unless people are playing videos or music without headphones. And it's a little unfair to be annoyed that you found a quiet spot to relax and someone ruined it with their loud conversation. They also found a quite place to have a conversation where they disturbed the least amount of people.

I could be on board with a "quiet area", But it should apply across the board. No music, phones, loud talking, kids running around, etc.

No loud talking?  Come on, it is a small space with a lot of people, many of which are enjoying themselves.  Prepare yourself to hear other people talking and laughing.   

I say no, but would prefer they use headphones so all you can hear is them talking.

Let's be real, this could then be extended to limiting where people speak out loud too. On a recent cruise there was a group in the solarium whirlpool talking a little louder than usual, they stated they didn't have their hearing aids in, guessing because of the water, which to me makes sense and whirlpools themselves create a lot of background noise. Someone confronted them because he couldn't read his book or didn't like the topic. It honestly looked for a second it could have turned into a scuffle. I was also surprised the person reading didn't move. 

We were in earshot of this guy and when I was talking to my wife, not quietly, I was like wow I should whisper or something so I don't get told to be quiet lol.

We do/did have family members at home that are hard of hearing and you really need to talk loud and their TVs are super loud so that they can hear it. With the average age of cruisers on X and other lines we sail people speaking louder doesn't surprise me. At 50 now, I know I struggle, especially in situations with a lot of background noise.

Edited by cgolf1
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

That may cover personal listening but doesn't cover phone/video calls; some people are quieter when talking on speaker vs headphones also

However, none of this bothers me; this idea won't happen as at best, there will be more specific cell phone usage language under the cruise contract code of conduct

agreed.  I find people having loud conversations whether in a group, on a phone face timing or similar are annoying.  You actually don't need to be on an electronic device to be loud.  I've sat next to loud boisterous groups in specialty dining and other like venues.  And it wasn't always young ones.  As I've said, noise cancelling headphones are my go to normally around big mouths but in restaurants, it can be an issue.

I remember once we used snapchat face time with our daughter as she was trying to show us our senior dog who had become pretty sick.  We were walking towards the solarium and stopped to talk with her and tell her and her BF what to do.  Conversation took at least 10 minutes.  One gentleman we sat next to acted as if we set his chair on fire.  Slamming his book down and huffing.  After we got off, I apologized to the woman on the other side of us and explained what had happened.  She was very cordial and said these things happen.  Sometimes there can be a reason for face timing.  We did have our headphones on but were talking loud because of the whirlpools.  Yes, perhaps we should have found a quiet spot but it was pretty serious (dog unfortunately had to be put down hours later).  

Edited by jean87510

39 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

Absolutely not.  Some people need to have access to work and family.

I would like to see people prohibited from using a speaker or facetime in a  public area-  

In their stateroom. Not public areas or balcony. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, doghog said:

In their stateroom. Not public areas or balcony. 

How do you enforce this?  Many have reported here that when they report their neighbors smoking on their balcony, they send security who knocks on their door giving the smoker time to get rid of evidence.  Some have reported that security shares the name/stateroom of the person who reported the issue with the offender

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

How do you enforce this?  Many have reported here that when they report their neighbors smoking on their balcony, they send security who knocks on their door giving the smoker time to get rid of evidence.  Some have reported that security shares the name/stateroom of the person who reported the issue with the offender

You are way over thinking this. Just a comment as most of the other comments on this thread. 🙃

• Haha 1

On 12/5/2023 at 1:22 PM, Lena11033 said:

I've seen plenty of people on here complain about people taking phones on the ship in general.

I'm just stating I'm opposed to banning phones from certain areas because then he can't reach me in an emergency.

You're on a cruise ship and your husband is thousands of miles away.   There is no emergency that he can you can help him with.  

1 hour ago, CruiseRQA said:

You're on a cruise ship and your husband is thousands of miles away.   There is no emergency that he can you can help him with.  

thanks, last cruise I did have an emergency at home and I spent quite a bit of time on the phone to the bank as they needed to talk to me so yes life happens

• Thanks 1

On 12/5/2023 at 1:19 PM, Team Stag said:

I am in support of this.  What can we do regarding the bluetooth speakers that people like to blast as well?

at CoCo Cay last year, we were off ship early and found a spot for 8 of us. I had my music on via in ear Bluetooth, and noice cancelling on. Too hot for the over the ear phones.

However, two different groups showed up with boom boxes. and ruined the relaxful area.

Memo to X and/or RCL-no boomboxes allowed to be brought on board. It is not a private party ship.

Memo 2-have basic respect for your neighbors Wear headphones wherever possible, and not let sounds play out of your tinny electric devices in public ares and please no music or other sounds playing loudly in balconys or at all in staterooms after 11PM and before 9 AM.

Memo 3,

Just have respect for others.

Just remember ther are some real obnoxious people out there who do not understand common area concepts nor respect for others.

I am pretty low key about things but I have a breaking point.  eg when elevators are full I can and do take the stairs, but soetiems I have had a few drives more than  shoudl as I am not driving. So I desire to take elevator, and when people intentionally do not move back or to side, I can use my large frame body to help them understand and I do say "excuse me" albeit sarcastically as I push my way in to where there is room for 4-5 people, good golly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1