Seashore 10-day 12/7-17: attempting a live-from!!

gotta cruise again

6 hours ago, gotta cruise again said:

Appears you can read not only newspapers (this is the service used to print newspapers for YC) but also magazines.

We like press reader too. It's great having access to all their publications. Many of the better land-based hotels/resorts we frequent offer it as well.

• Like 2

If anyone wants a workout, climb the stairs from deck 4 to 16. I counted the stair steps by by the time I got to the top, I was oxygen deprived from huffing & puffing so now I can’t remember the total!!

It was either 209 or 216…thereabouts.

Knowing me, I’ll do it again next week and try to get the correct number -lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No real “interloper” report. The closest thing was a gentleman was let in to the concierge area by some actual YC folks. Seems he was looking for the Marketplace buffet and the concierge assisted him with directions. 

I’m currently on deck 20, starboard, toward the furthest back portion (shade here!!). I’ve seen a number of staff utilizing the stairs from deck 19. Seems they have to fully remove a long metal piece in the gate at the top of those stairs in order to open the gate. 

I think those lengths of metal can both be removed if needed, but one functions as the hinge when staff is passing through. It has not been a quick passage by any of them as returning the metal piece to closed/locked position seems to take effort on their part. 

IMG_8481.thumb.jpeg.85386b0c9ac5b7dd024286cb4307d75a.jpeg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gotta cruise again said:

We asked and did receive facial tissue!!

It’s not the highest quality but easier to use than TP!!

IMG_8485.thumb.jpeg.211ea908d952647a05d2c0f59037ef89.jpeg

After bringing a box from home, we found a box in our desk drawer in the cabin. 🤪

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, gotta cruise again said:

This is supposed to be a Mimosa Blossom, which is on the morning menu in YC. 

I was expecting it to have a different coloration: maybe more toward peach-color, due to the mango.

@JamieLogical is this what you’re used to seeing?? I just tasted and there was a hint of mango…

IMG_8494.thumb.jpeg.695e7ee64a8865ab5173f295674c380f.jpeg

It should definitely be a slightly lighter color and more translucent than a normal mimosa. That doesn't mean you got the exact right thing. It should have absolut mango and Galliano in it.

• Thanks 2

Well, we made a rookie mistake last night. We know that before you eat at a restaurant, even at home, take a look at the menu to make sure you will find something to your liking. 

We don’t have a good seafood restaurant at home so decided on Ocean Cay for our Diamond tasting-menu dinner. Unfortunately, not really anything on the entire menu that would have been to our liking. We got enough to eat so we didn’t leave hungry but we didn’t really enjoy the meal. 

This thread isn’t a food review as food preference is subjective but I mention this as a reminder to all to take a gander at the restaurant menus prior to making a reservation. 

BTW: there was another couple there who were raving about everything they were served and couldn’t get enough!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, gotta cruise again said:

For the pickle ball people, I think these are paddles that you can get on Ocean Cay. $14.50 for the set. The photos will show the set and the name of the shop that has them. The shop is the building immediately after the Visitor Center. 

IMG_8521.thumb.jpeg.44eec20e98bea02abd35a3c0c7e8b0b6.jpeg

IMG_8522.thumb.jpeg.2a5fba56b1f23b39f1742c820ee2cd46.jpeg

IMG_8523.thumb.jpeg.132b8c1758b929cb0b6e6465168f1af0.jpeg

That's paddleball not pickleball.  We used to use them at Wildwood, NJ.

Edited to add same concept but no net and no Karens enforcing rules when it benefits them.  (Not a fan of some of the players; like the game 😁

Edited by jean87510

22 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

That's paddleball not pickleball.  We used to use them at Wildwood, NJ.

Oops!! I had no idea as I don’t play either!! There are pickleball folks on the 12/10-17 sailing & I wanted to let them know. 

I appreciate your equipment correction as I obviously needed it!

• Like 1

Other threads have noted that it costs $17 to climb the lighthouse. What I didn’t remember is the give you a time when you can then climb. 

That’ll it does make sense to limit the numbers of wills in the tower at a time but after having wandered on foot (at a brisk pace too!) all the way fro Ocean House (with some detours when I got turned around) I was not only not willing to pay to climb stairs (which I can do for “free” on the ship) but I really wasn’t willing to wait 45 minutes. 

Again, YMMV as might your willingness to wait (there is a bar there too). 

• Like 1

On 12/10/2023 at 9:59 AM, JamieLogical said:

It should definitely be a slightly lighter color and more translucent than a normal mimosa. That doesn't mean you got the exact right thing. It should have absolut mango and Galliano in it.

Did the 25 day TA on Seashore and no 2 bartenders EVER made it the same.  Many eliminated either the Galliano or the mango Absolut.  Many never added the cherry.  It was mind boggling.  I had this problem with the Elderflower Spritz, too. 

Edited by Steeler Nation At Sea

Hello thanks for posting! We will be on Jan 7th.  Could you tell me if show times are at 7:00 or 7:30 for the first show during the 7 day cruise?  I believe I saw 7 off of a planner for the 7 day cruise before yours and then 7:30 the short cruises. Both of our 7 day cruises in the Seaside in October were at 7:30. Not a big deal but it will determine if we eat early or late in the YC.

@Todd320 I haven’t gone back to look at the dailies to find the best answer to your show time question. It seems to me that the show times have varied a bit (though honestly, I really haven’t analyzed it). What we have done is to look at the various shows & activities for the evening and then plan our dinner time accordingly. They haven’t been taking reservations for specific dining times so we have been planning early or late supper based on our f we want a show or not. 

There is another live-from thread posted by @Essiesmom that is including the dailies; maybe there you can find me re specifics. 

Thank you for reading this one too as I’m trying to find the “oddball” things to report!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1