Crew member entered our cabin while we were asleep! What would you do?

Cavagal61

12 hours ago, Cavagal61 said:

after the second knock with no response, why would he enter?

Because no response usually means no one is there?

That said, this is pretty sketchy. I would follow up with GS to make sure they did something and you think whatever they did is acceptable.

• Like 3

I don't really see what the maintenance person did wrong – I think they are trained to knock/announce twice, and if no response and no deadbolt or do not disturb sign/indicator, they assume the room is empty so they entered. Once they realized you were in the room, they apologized and attempted to come back later. 

As for knocking at an hour when many would be sleeping, I think maintenance would be one of the exceptions that would be acceptable to knock during those hours unless a request was specifically made to wait until the next day. Someone might want their issue fixed as soon as possible. 

I hope everyone will take this as another reminder to always secure the deadbolt when you are in the room.

• Like 7

Guest Snaxmuppet
19 minutes ago, cr01s13r3 said:

I don't really see what the maintenance person did wrong – I think they are trained to knock/announce twice, and if no response and no deadbolt or do not disturb sign/indicator, they assume the room is empty so they entered. Once they realized you were in the room, they apologized and attempted to come back later. 

As for knocking at an hour when many would be sleeping, I think maintenance would be one of the exceptions that would be acceptable to knock during those hours unless a request was specifically made to wait until the next day. Someone might want their issue fixed as soon as possible. 

I hope everyone will take this as another reminder to always secure the deadbolt when you are in the room.

Sorry but I totally disagree. Would you expect, or accept, a similar thing happening in a top hotel? It just wouldn't happen. Staff entering a room at that time would be totally unheard of except in a very urgent situation and I don't see why being on a cruise ship it should be any different. Routine maintenance should take place during the day unless it is a matter of urgency/safety.

I never deadbolt my door. If there is an issue and crew need to enter for my safety I want them to have easy access. But that doesn't mean that should happen without a good reason. I expect them to recognise and respect that although on a ship it is still a hotel and normal hotel etiquette should apply. However, I always have the "do not disturb" light or tag on whenever I am in the room even during the day and especially at night.

17 hours ago, Coral said:

I am glad they knocked.

I had my room steward enter when I was dressing and she did not knock. One cruise where I had the room steward from hell. Thankfully this only happened once (bad room steward).

Use the deadbolt religiously now.

We always use the deadbolt even with the very best room stewards.

I doubt that maintenance staff have the Medallion readers to know if someone is in the cabin.  Guests may still be out and about at that hour.

My friend and I were disturbed after 11pm at a hotel because the maintenance man was looking for a piece of equipment and didn't realize that the room was occupied.  He only knocked, but it scared me!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, donswife said:

I doubt that maintenance staff have the Medallion readers to know if someone is in the cabin.

They don't need any readers - they can just interrogate the panel as there are hidden features in the panel outside your door.

I think I would assume that staff thought the light was broken and put in a request to maintenance to repair.  Maintenance followed practice of checking if someone was in the room and given the circumstances entered after knocking twice.  Once they realized someone was in the room they left.  I don't see this as anything more than a misunderstanding on both parts.  Maintenance following procedure but picking an odd time and the OP not deadbolting or placing dnd on the door.  TBH I don't use deadbolt or dnd.  Of course I don't lock my doors at home either and I live in an urban area.  If people really want in they're going to get in and I don't have anything anyone would want anyway.  

6 hours ago, edspec said:

I think I would assume that staff thought the light was broken and put in a request to maintenance to repair.  Maintenance followed practice of checking if someone was in the room and given the circumstances entered after knocking twice.  Once they realized someone was in the room they left.  I don't see this as anything more than a misunderstanding on both parts.

This ^^^^.  Crisis averted.  Everyone go back to sleep.

On 12/13/2023 at 4:01 PM, Snaxmuppet said:

I never deadbolt my door. If there is an issue and crew need to enter for my safety I want them to have easy access. But that doesn't mean that should happen without a good reason. I expect them to recognise and respect that although on a ship it is still a hotel and normal hotel etiquette should apply. However, I always have the "do not disturb" light or tag on whenever I am in the room even during the day and especially at night.

Certain crew members (like security and maybe the medical staff) have the ability (i.e. tools) to unlock deadbolts. Consider the case of a single in a cabin who locked the deadbolt and then got so sick (or worse) they couldn't reach the door.

Guest Snaxmuppet
5 minutes ago, beg3yrs said:

Certain crew members (like security and maybe the medical staff) have the ability (i.e. tools) to unlock deadbolts. Consider the case of a single in a cabin who locked the deadbolt and then got so sick (or worse) they couldn't reach the door.

Good point... but my rationale is that it might slow them down when speed might be of the essence.

But I take your point 🙂 

19 hours ago, david63 said:

They don't need any readers - they can just interrogate the panel as there are hidden features in the panel outside your door.

Do you mean they can see if you are occupying the cabin?   If so then the OP would seem to have reason to complain.   

Guest Snaxmuppet

.I would have thought that with everyone (or nearly everyone) having a medallion that they could see you were in your cabin through that too.

On 12/14/2023 at 11:25 AM, billco said:

We always prop a chair under the doorknob.

A door wedge is simpler. It will slow down anyone trying to get in, giving you time to take stock, and if their intentions are good they will probably not try to force the door anyway. If there is a medical emergency it's not much of a problem to get past it.