Crew member entered our cabin while we were asleep! What would you do?

Cavagal61

We are new to cruising with Princess and don’t know if what we just experienced is out of the ordinary or not. We are currently sailing on the Sky Princess, and given that we have an early port day tomorrow plus the clock moving forward an hour, we retired early. At 11:30 p.m. I was awakened to what I thought was a knock on the neighboring door. After about 30 seconds there was another knock, followed by our door being opened and light flooding the room. (In hindsight, we both forgot to lock the deadbolt). Realizing someone had just entered our room, I called out “Hello?”, to which I was given the reply of, “I am from maintenance here to fix your lamp”.  Not having reported an issue, I asked what lamp he was referring to and he quickly said, “the lamp on your beside table - I’m sorry ma’am it is very late I will come back tomorrow” and promptly closed the door. My husband and I briefly discussed it and we determined that housekeeping must have noticed that we had unplugged the lamp in order to use the outlet for his CPAP.  He rolled over and went back to sleep, while I on the other hand have been thinking about this for the last couple of hours. First of all, why would maintenance think it smart to come knock on a door when people are usually sleeping? Second, he could clearly see that we were in the room - after the second knock with no response, why would he enter? We could have been doing more than sleeping, if you know what I mean.  Does this seem odd to anyone else? Should I report this to Guest Services? I’m curious to know how others would feel.

• Like 2

Yes, keeping in mind that it could have been a completely innocent mistake on the maintenance man's part, it should be reported to the guest services so they can correct/train the staff on their policies regarding room entry.  If there was something else going on, then that needs to be corrected as well. 

Try to get some sleep and don't forget that deadbolt!!  

Please let us know what you decide and any outcome.  It shouldn't have happened.

Good night,

~Nancy

• Like 4

Hmm, well, personally, I think that I would report it to Guest Services. It seems that they were well-intentioned but just a bit unfamiliar about how to deal with guest matters (like making a phone call and leaving a voice-mail several hours or a business day beforehand instead of literally just entering the stateroom without hearing any acknowledgment or approval). I wouldn't want the maintenance person to be punished but proper procedure should be enforced to make things smoother for both parties (and reduce awkwardness, at the very least). 

Yes, please always lock the deadbolt and mark "do not disturb" (or "privacy please") in front of your cabin door. Not that either thing works, to be honest, if someone with the master key needs to come in, but it should stop most cases and it gives you more of an argument in case you need one. Also, speak with your steward in case he or she may have made the incorrect assumption that the lamp is not working and why you had to have it unplugged so that there's no miscommunication there.

Let us know how it goes. Hope you continue to have a nice and safe cruise.

• Like 3

I am surprised that maintenance would make such a late night call.  Whenever I have contacted customer service via chat or a phone call late at night, I am always asked if I will be awake in 30 or so minutes.  Usually it is an “emergency” and let them know that I would like the toilet, air/heat fixed ASAP and I will stay up for x minutes.

Yes, bring it to someone’s attention.  But next time, either bring an adapter (for CPAP and lamp) and/or mention what you are planning to disconnect to your steward.

Guest Snaxmuppet

Report to guest services. In my opinion they shouldn't be doing that kind of maintenance in cabins at that time of night IMO.

It could be innocent but it does smell a little fishy to me.

Next time, I'd ask his name to know who it was but in the heat of the moment I am not surprised that wasn't asked. I might also call guest services immediate to report it rather than wait until the morning. They might be able to follow up more effectively.

It may not have been maintenance's fault, it could be that whoever recorded the work order did not properly note who reported it (whether guest or steward) which would change the "priority" of the issue.  If maintenance thought the guest had reported the problem, they will tend to get to it more quickly than if crew reported it (making the assumption that the guest has not noticed it).  My guys would get calls for things like lamps being out at all hours, with requests to deal with it right away, which is why there is an overnight repairman, so there could be some lapse in communication between guest services and maintenance.

Unless the maintenance is going to take a few hours, or is planned maintenance that is scheduled days in advance, most ships will not provide "advance notice" "several hours or days in advance".  Typically, the only notice given is a note saying that maintenance had been there and the work done.  As for knocking twice and not receiving any response and then entering, that is exactly what would happen if no one was in the cabin, so it is IMHO a perfectly sensible response.

And, know that the door lock records the name of whoever swipes their card for access, so if you feel there is a problem, question it at guest services, and they will be able to cross match a work order with the maintenance man's key card, or not.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 11

I am glad they knocked.

I had my room steward enter when I was dressing and she did not knock. One cruise where I had the room steward from hell. Thankfully this only happened once (bad room steward).

Use the deadbolt religiously now.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

It may not have been maintenance's fault, it could be that whoever recorded the work order did not properly note who reported it (whether guest or steward) which would change the "priority" of the issue.  If maintenance thought the guest had reported the problem, they will tend to get to it more quickly than if crew reported it (making the assumption that the guest has not noticed it).  My guys would get calls for things like lamps being out at all hours, with requests to deal with it right away, which is why there is an overnight repairman, so there could be some lapse in communication between guest services and maintenance.

Unless the maintenance is going to take a few hours, or is planned maintenance that is scheduled days in advance, most ships will not provide "advance notice" "several hours or days in advance".  Typically, the only notice given is a note saying that maintenance had been there and the work done.  As for knocking twice and not receiving any response and then entering, that is exactly what would happen if no one was in the cabin, so it is IMHO a perfectly sensible response.

And, know that the door lock records the name of whoever swipes their card for access, so if you feel there is a problem, question it at guest services, and they will be able to cross match a work order with the maintenance man's key card, or not.

Would the maintenance worker be able to Know if guests were in the room?  Using an OM scanner?  

That’s really late. I’d definitely report it to GS.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, david63 said:

Shouldn't he have known that you were in your cabin from the Medallion?

It does, on the face of it, seem a bit strange for maintenance to want to access the cabin at that time of night for what would appear to be a trivial matter.

So true.  He would had known you were in the cabin from the Medallion.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

On X's Apex, our Infinite Veranda got stuck.  When we reported it, one of the questions we were asked was when we would be out of the cabin so maintenance could come.  The fix was scheduled around our schedule.

Exactly, as has always been the case for us on PCL.  Or, the cabin steward would make sure we were out of our room for maintenance.

• Like 2

It may be the same maintenance worker who came to our door very early and woke us up about our TV not working. Granted I finally opened the door. But then he just came in even though the cabin was dark and I said we were sleeping. 
even our cabin steward asked if we were okay later because he was surprised to see someone here so early. 

note to self to put the do not disturb sign on. 

• Like 3

The Do Not Disturb may not be enough.  A cabin steward walked into my cabin while I was taking a shower.  I queried later why he did not hear the shower running.  His answer was he was eating a piece of candy.  Yes, I reported the incident.  No, Guest Services was not at all dismayed.  They offered me a free haircut.  I declined.  

Edited by logan25
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, logan25 said:

The Do Not Disturb may not be enough.  A cabin steward walked into my cabin while I was taking a shower.  

This happened to me as well.

And, I'm 99 44/100 % sure that the deadbolt was engaged.

I understand that in an emergency, security may need to enter regardless of the deadbolt.

But, random stewards should not have that power.

1 minute ago, Roberto256 said:

This happened to me as well.

And, I'm 99 44/100 % sure that the deadbolt was engaged.

I understand that in an emergency, security may need to enter regardless of the deadbolt.

But, random stewards should not have that power.

From my experience with the digital card locks on cruise ship's doors, the only thing that will override a deadbolt is a "hard key", meaning an actual metal key that only security or senior staff (chief and staff chief engineers, Captain and Staff Captain) would have.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

That’s rather specific. Bad steak?  Here, have a pedicure. 

They offered a massage first, then the haircut.  I declined both but requested a different room steward, which they were not amenable.

• Thanks 1

I would be horrified - and frightened - if that happened.   Given that you hadn't reported any maintenance issues and the late hour, I absolutely would report this to Guest Services.   And I would insist that they confirm the legitimacy of a non-emergency maintenance call at an hour at which many people are sleeping.  

• Like 3

I reported the incident to Guest Services first thing this morning and was simply told, “so sorry this happened to you. I will report it to the maintenance manager and I will let you know what he says.”  I would have loved to have been offered a massage, but I suppose I needed to have been in the shower to get that a LOL! 

I also spoke with our steward, and he did actually place a maintenance order for the lamp last night. He was very apologetic when I told him what hour that the serviceman arrived.

Thank you to all who informed me about the Do Not Disturb button. We were not aware of that feature!  And we will be most diligent about using the deadbolt!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3