Ketchup Shortage on Meraviglia

Cruzinforpeace***

Say it ain’t so!  I’m hearing in recent reviews that there is a lack of ketchup on board!  We will bringing our own just in case.  We are “ketchupholics”. Any suggestions on how to get this on board?  Are packets or bottles easier to bring on board?  Will they confiscate the contraband or are sealed items like ketchup allowed?

3 hours ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

Say it ain’t so!  I’m hearing in recent reviews that there is a lack of ketchup on board!  We will bringing our own just in case.  We are “ketchupholics”. Any suggestions on how to get this on board?  Are packets or bottles easier to bring on board?  Will they confiscate the contraband or are sealed items like ketchup allowed?

Bring chocolate ice cream, they ran out of that on this current cruise.

• Haha 4

We were on the Mera Dec. 2-9th, they did run out of ketchup one day. The story going around the ship is that a train derailment in NYC complicted efforts of re-stocking the ship of certain items. The derailment also caused a few passengers to miss embarktion and had to meet the ship at Port Canaveral. I dont think this will ever be an issue again.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, FSHLOT said:

We were on the Mera Dec. 2-9th, they did run out of ketchup one day. The story going around the ship is that a train derailment in NYC complicted efforts of re-stocking the ship of certain items. The derailment also caused a few passengers to miss embarktion and had to meet the ship at Port Canaveral. I dont think this will ever be an issue again.

That’s good news.  I never heard of such a thing happening on a cruise ship before but of course this is our first time on MSC so I’m training myself to expect nothing from all the negative reviews I’ve been reading. This way we will be pleasantly surprised when things turn out otherwise.  I’m trying to stay positive while at the same time be prepared. 

• Like 1

MSC is classier than what  their budget passengers expect. Those passengers are confused by many of the procedures that MSC has in place to control costs and yet maintain an on board experience that is consistent across their international fleet and embarkation ports.

If you want catsup, you may need to ask for it.

You will not see the pump containers common on  bottom tier lines.

Catsup will either be brought out to you in a small serving dish or a small single use bottle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There was no ketchup the first 2 days on my November 19 sailing. After our first stop in Miami they got some cans, so there was no shortage for the remainder of the cruise. Tea was also a challenge the first couple of days, but luckily after Miami it was taken care of.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Homosassa said:

MSC is classier than what  their budget passengers expect. Those passengers are confused by many of the procedures that MSC has in place to control costs and yet maintain an on board experience that is consistent across their international fleet and embarkation ports.

If you want catsup, you may need to ask for it.

Catsup will either be brought out to you in a small serving dish or a small single use bottle.

I’m hoping they exceed my expectations but for the price I’m already not disappointed.  I shall ask away for my ketchup! 

Was watching one of those TV shows high lighting  a cruise ship.   Every show has  to have some built in phony drama.   

Part of the false drama was the chef standing on a pier inspecting the vegetables and getting upset because he couldn’t accept the  lettuce because it wasn’t fresh enough and it was on the menu that evening.   He then had personal going thru hoops to find some lettuce.   Pure BS. 

We were on a X ship and there wasn’t much in the bourbon selection that was in the premium package. .   Excuse was a supply issue.   I showed them a picture of the bourbon at Costco that had plenty of Woodford.   No supply issue for them. 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 2

3 hours ago, miched said:

Was watching one of those TV shows high lighting  a cruise ship.   Every show has  to have some built in phony drama.   

Part of the false drama was the chef standing on a pier inspecting the vegetables and getting upset because he couldn’t accept the  lettuce because it wasn’t fresh enough and it was on the menu that evening.   He then had personal going thru hoops to find some lettuce.   Pure BS. 

We were on a X ship and there wasn’t much in the bourbon selection that was in the premium package. .   Excuse was a supply issue.   I showed them a picture of the bourbon at Costco that had plenty of Woodford.   No supply issue for them. 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

On Amazon Prime, right?  I've seen them...and manufactured drama is right!  Always successful at resolving the "problem" at the last second.

Edited by scamper
punctuation

12 hours ago, Homosassa said:

Ummm..... Pumps of condiments and a bowl of catsup/ketchup on MSC Meraviglia... Very inconsistent  in terms of what is available/constantly running out of things when we were on...  It's definitely a cheap cruise...

image.png.4c8a63345195ea53d7981c061a0f0ad8.png

• Thanks 1

Catsup is gross.  Why ruin perfectly fine food with high fructose corn syrup  sweetened tomato sauce.  🍅?   The crew mockingly calls it American sauce.  And don't even get me started with pineapple on pizza.  Sorry for the rant but the Steelers got thumped today and I am not over it. LOL

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, joeyancho said:

Catsup is gross.  Why ruin perfectly fine food with high fructose corn syrup  sweetened tomato sauce.  🍅?   The crew mockingly calls it American sauce.  And don't even get me started with pineapple on pizza.  Sorry for the rant but the Steelers got thumped today and I am not over it. LOL

To each his own.  We love the stuff and buy the “Simply Heinz” brand at home.  No high fructose corn syrup in that one. Oh, and I also LOVE pineapple (and ham) on my pizza.  The sweet and salty is divine in my opinion.

Edited by Cruzinforpeace***
  • Like 1

Silly me; I assumed that cruisers are now more aware that MSC is not a clone of royalnorwegiancarnival.  I thought the days of "There was no cheddar on my pizza!" and "They didn't give me butter unless I asked for it!" had been replaced by an appreciation of the differences.  I guess not.

Personally, I like MSC for being able to eat things I don't have every day at home, see a different type of show, music, and passenger mix.  It's a lot easier than flying to Italy.

• Like 7

51 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

Silly me; I assumed that cruisers are now more aware that MSC is not a clone of royalnorwegiancarnival.  I thought the days of "There was no cheddar on my pizza!" and "They didn't give me butter unless I asked for it!" had been replaced by an appreciation of the differences.  I guess not.

Personally, I like MSC for being able to eat things I don't have every day at home, see a different type of show, music, and passenger mix.  It's a lot easier than flying to Italy.

Being different to be Better is a good thing...  But that's not how we saw MSC...  I thought they were many times different, in bad ways... like running out of things.... not being organized on anything that involves crowds of passengers... not enough varieties...  surcharges on many things... service shortfalls... doing many things in old ways that RCL/NCL/CRNVL used to do 10 years ago...  They are definitely a Med. "Shipping" Company... and not a "People" Company... I think they gotta do some catch-up (not to be confused with Catsup 😂) Those are bad things anyway you look at it.... but the cheap cruise price made up for it...  But.... If it's cheap and good... then that's good...  but if it's cheap and cheap... then it's just cheap...

And I didn't realize MSC was like going to Italy... if so then I would not like to go to Italy anytime soon... 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

To each his own.  We love the stuff and buy the “Simply Heinz” brand at home.  No high fructose corn syrup in that one. Oh, and I also LOVE pineapple (and ham) on my pizza.  The sweet and salty is divine in my opinion.

Me Loves Ketchup!!!  👍😁👍

image.png.7140eb302f18c920c3cbd64fa883a3f8.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CruisingFox27 said:

I'm sure I sail with a completely different MSC cruise line to some of the people who post here. Or we're just very lucky that they've never run out of anything we've wanted and have always had super service and very organised cruises. 

That’s what I’m praying for🙏

• Like 1

On 12/17/2023 at 3:14 AM, joeyancho said:

....because a good portion of the food has to be lathered in some sort of sauce to hide the lack of flavor and hopefully distract from the cold serving temps.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...